Thread: NHL 17 Closed Beta Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

NHL 17 Closed Beta Discussion

I signed up for this and got 3 codes yesterday. I gave the extra ones to JB and snoop.

Anyway, I played one game last night and one game today. I didn't screw with HUT or EASHL because I really couldn't care less about either one. I played Online Versus.

In the game last night, I was up 3-0 as Pittsburgh against Washington with just a couple of minutes left when the douche bag quit (online is so annoying).

Today, I lost 3-2 as Pittsburgh against Tampa.

Both games were pretty fun and there were a variety of penalties. The game is alot more polished than the last full version I played (NHL 15) and this Beta has actually put NHL 17 on my radar even though I'm still thoroughly disgusted that there is no online franchise of any sort any more.

I'm not sure when the Beta ends so JB, snoop, let me know if you want to play a couple games. Of course, if anyone else has the Beta and wants to play, I'm game.

I've played 8 games in Online Versus including 2 against snoop. snoop and I are going to play a couple more tonight.

After we play tonight, I'll try to post some stats. We've been playing 10-minute periods (the options are 4, 5, 10, 15 or 20, I believe) so the numbers are a little inflated (I think 8 minutes would be perfect for user vs user games) but not bad.

The game plays well and is alot of fun. I think the biggest issue I've seen are a couple (literally 2 or 3) wonky moves by the goalies. I'd expect those to be smoothed out at/around release.

Is there any sort of drills or tutorial in the beta or is it just play and learn?

I played one EASHL game this morning and had fun even though the team lost 3-2 in OT.

The create-a-team is pretty cool and has a lot of options as I made the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks playing around with it. You can't upload your own logos, but there are a lot of preset logo options and the arena choices are in-depth.

I'm not sure if there are drills in the Beta or not. It seems as though I saw something to that effect but it could be my imagination.

I got one more game in with snoop tonight and finally beat his ass. He's always gotten the best of me in NHL. When we played GMC he always won the Cup and always took me out in the playoffs.

On Sunday night he beat me like 5-1 and 6-4 but I came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat him in OT on Monday night, 4-3.

Anyway, I have screen shots of our stats and I'll try to remember to message them to myself next time I get on so that I can post them.

Chris, if you'd like to play a game or two, text me. We can basically scrimmage so you can get some of the mechanics down.

Here's the stats from the games snoop and I have played, as promised.

I was Dallas and this game got out of hand late. I think it was 1-1 with about 10 or 15 minutes left. snoop took a while to figure the face offs out as I won 18 of 22 in the first period but he was much better after that. Neither of us had very sparkling passing numbers. He out-hit me heavily and shots were pretty equal.

I think face offs played a big role in this game. I (Minnesota) was able to out shoot him and stay close in the physical side of the game (something I rarely do). I also dominated passing. But Colorado was much better on the draws and it cost me alot of possession.

I was able to get a win in OT with Calgary. I dominated shots, passing and face offs. He was much more physical than I was. I think the real difference was me getting a pair of shorties.

Below, I included the box score from our third game to give you a better idea of the penalty variety. I'll post these as well as the stats if we play any more games.

Overall aside from a rare goalie brain fart and the even more rare wonky physics, this game is very fun head-to-head. I think 8-minute periods (we've played on 10) would be perfect, for statistical purposes.

Their NHL team seems so progressive with betas, sliders and tuners. I wish the Madden team did stuff like this.

Beta extended through Monday morning.