Thread: Xbox looks to have a response to the PS4 Neo

• Facebook
  • Display

Xbox looks to have a response to the PS4 Neo

Someone try and get CLW to come out of the bathroom he is currently locked in.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/117...ne-two-scorpio

Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotaku and corroborated with Polygon's own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster than expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017 according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft’s Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.

A price for Scorpio is also still under active discussion, and is unlikely to be revealed until next year.

More clear, however, is that "universal compatibility" is a core principle for the system. Scorpio is currently being designed to support all Xbox One software.

This stuff makes me nervous. As long as it fully supports older versions like ps4k it's fine but this is a new thing I'm not sure I like.

Sign me up!

So am I right in saying, you only need to upgrade if you want 4K or VR? That's what it looks like. I'm not worried that they'll abandon the current systems, I'm fairly confident that companies are going to be strictly enforced to make it compatible for all.
    The dude abides.

Like I said in relation to the PS4k, they've been doing it since the dawn of man for PC and countless possible variations of machines. They can easily do the same for two different machines with specific specs.