Thread: PS4.5/PS4K Codename NEO

• Facebook
  • Display

PS4.5/PS4K Codename NEO

Since it has not been discussed. Sony has not confirmed or denied anything but there have been plenty of details leaking out.

The details:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/so...-ne/1100-5437/

Earlier this year, rumors began to fly that Sony would release an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4, a console often called the PS4.5 or the PS4K by fans and press. Today, multiple sources have confirmed for us details of the project, which is internally referred to as the NEO. No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds.
    Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.
    Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.
    The NEO will not supplant the current PS4, but will exist alongside of it and use the same user environment. The PS4 and NEO will use the same PSN store, connect to the same online communities, and offer the same user experience, so expect to see the same cross media bar that you’re used to. Players will be able to retain all of the purchases they made on the PS4.
    Sony seems committed to keeping the NEO and the original PS4 player bases connected. As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.
    Specs:

Original PS4

CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 1.6 GHz
    GPU: AMD GCN, 18 CUs at 800 MHz
    Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 176 GB/s
    NEO
    CPU: 8 Jaguar Cores at 2.1 GHz
    GPU: Improved AMD GCN, 36 CUs at 911 MHz
    Memory: 8 GB GDDR5, 218 GB/s

So thoughts on such a move?

As long as the userbase is not split and the two groups can play online together I am fine with it. I think if games were forced at 60fps on the NEO, then I would consider it. How much extra work this puts on the developers and how much of a difference we will see on the NEO? My biggest concern is how buggy existing games are. Two versions of a game could extend how long patches take in the future and create buggier games.

I have no problem with the idea in general. PC developers make games that can be scaled to an innumerable number of specs so I know PS4 can probably deliver something similar without a herculean effort.

That said, I probably won't be upgrading anytime soon... I doubt there will be that big of a leap in terms of quality.

It will not be split, Sony is putting some strict guidelines on game development to ensure the original user base is not alienated, and there will not be games only for the new PS4.

While there are some performance upgrades, this is more for people to play in 4K and for VR capabilities.

I don't think it's that much different from Sony and MS introducing new models of the PS3 and 360, not sure how much things were tweaked under the hood, but you'd think there was some tweaking.
    The dude abides.

I'm glad the user bases aren't split. I won't be upgrading soon and I'm happy I won't be left in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    It will not be split, Sony is putting some strict guidelines on game development to ensure the original user base is not alienated, and there will not be games only for the new PS4.

While there are some performance upgrades, this is more for people to play in 4K and for VR capabilities.

I don't think it's that much different from Sony and MS introducing new models of the PS3 and 360, not sure how much things were tweaked under the hood, but you'd think there was some tweaking.

Don't you think the a better line would be... "It will not spit... YET."

If it's really popular I could see them rethinking their strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

I haven't been following this the closest, but isn't this making extra work/hoops for devs to go through? It seems like it will be a hindrance to smaller dev teams/studios.

I think it's more work to offer a 4K to xperience and overall yes.

It does exist but details wont be coming anytime soon.

Andrew House has confirmed to the Financial Times that a PlayStation 4 Neo is in development. He also says it won't be shown at E3, and they're not announcing a release date or price yet.
    http://www.ft.com/

Andrew House, president and global chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment, told the Financial Times that the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the current $350 version.

“It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.

However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.

“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

Guess they are waiting to see if MS lays out their cards first and then make sure that their hardware is at least comparable or better in performance?