Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption 2

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    90 freaking GB install. Holy crap.

Rockstar finally gives the exacts on game size... Glad the preload starts tomorrow. PS4 Digital requires extra space to unpack the data, it will end up being 99GB once completed.

https://support.rockstargames.com/ar...n-Requirements

Red Dead Redemption 2: Installation Requirements
    Created October 18, 2018

Question: How much space will I need on my platform to install Red Dead Redemption 2?

Answer: The amount of space required to install Red Dead Redemption 2 depends on the platform you are using, and the method of installation:

Disc Installation:

PS4 - 99 GB installation space
    Xbox One - 107 GB installation space

Digital Installation:

PS4 - 99 GB installation space with an additional 50GB for the installation process
    Xbox One - 107 GB installation space

I'm getting the Pro next Friday and installing a 1 TB external. I'm actually removing the 1 TB I had put in my OG PS4 and re-installing the 500 GB one. I have an external drive case I will slip the 1 TB into and just use it for that purpose.

It's funny. I never thought 1 TB wouldn't be enough space. But with myself, two kids and their PSVR games, I can't put any and every game I want on the system. 2 TB gives a lot more breathing room, especially since 100 GB is just taken up by the system.

I'm so happy I spent the extra money and got a 4 TB external drive a year or two ago. I'll have to go and count how many games I actually have installed on that thing currently, but it is without a doubt well over 50. May even be approaching 100 at this point between the PS+ freebies and new games released this year as well as the crap ton of games I've bought this past year during various Flash Sales and other weekly sales. And last I looked, I still had over 1 or 1.5 TB of space free.

So far so good. Ended up only being 88gb so far. Let it download while I slept and it is ready to go. I am sure there will be a patch before the game releases that will require another chunk.

Disc buyers get it on 2 discs. One installs most of the date, second one is the play disc. So you only ever have to load one, due to stuff being installed on the HD.

I'll have to check my PS4. It probably still needs to be downloaded and installed since I haven't been online at all since probably mid to late September. Just no time or desire to really spend time online. Between work and having started working out at a new gym in town since September 12th, I'm usually worn out most evenings and spend most of the time laying on the couch and reading or screwing around with a couple games on my phone.

I'm definitely planning a very late Thursday night/Friday morning next week when this baby releases.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Game is getting amazing reviews but there is one review, which does not contain a score, that is one of the best reviews of a video game I have read. Seriously, and I hate Kotaku for it's overbearing social warrioring for almost everything under the sun (The crunch and a few other whinny bits are in the review but I was expecting that based on the author). There is also a really good video on the atmosphere somewhere in the middle of the article. The end credits take 34 minutes to watch, that alone is pretty mind-blowing at all the people involved in this game.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redempti...iew-1829984369

IGN has a descent video review. You finally get to see the horse testicles shrinking in action. At 4:38 in, because it's just so ridiculous at how much detail is on this game.

Just over 12 hours away from jumping in!
    Last edited by bdoughty; 10-25-2018 at 10:03 AM.

97 on Metacritic so far. Wow!

Yeah picking this one up tomorrow morning at Best Buy and TR3 is going to just have to wait

97 on Metacritic so far. Wow!
    97 on PS4 and 98 on Xbox Among both there are only 3 reviews under 90.

The lowest was 70 and they are the same people that gave Far Cry 5 a 5 out of 10 and spent the last few paragraphs moaning about how a Western based game does not delve far enough into into the politics of slavery, women's rights, etc.

The myth of society, the inherent cruelty of people, the hypocrisy of treating predatory capitalists as a more civilized class—every warmed-over western theme is presented here without an ounce of subtlety and conveyed in the broadest possible strokes. Questioning the myth of the western is, at this point, almost as old as the base mythologizing that the genre did for so long, which leaves nothing unique to the game’s genre introspection. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the most ambitious game Rockstar has put out, in how it wants to be about something as much as the scope of its open world, but its aspirations don’t go much further than transplanting the themes of better westerns into an incredibly long video game, where you don’t ruminate on those themes so much as bump into them every once in a while on a mission.

This whole Western 101 approach unsurprisingly comes with a ham-fisted grasp of politics. A woman eventually puts on a pair of pants, one character explains white privilege and why the people in the “southern” end of the map look at him funny, another says that Native Americans were—in what is at least acknowledged as being grossly reductive—“treated poorly,” and everyone generally contemplates the horrors of racism and the aftermath of slavery. And for hours upon hours, none of this injustice is explored in any real detail.

These detours into attempted social consciousness suffer from a similarly ridiculous into-the-camera bluntness before they’re pushed to the fringes of the larger story. It often feels as if Red Dead Redemption 2 is merely parroting what’s expected to be said when portraying such things, to show that the game at least recognizes what it’s portraying, so that it may sufficiently get away with rendering a town where the black folks live on the outskirts or having one character accuse another of fucking slaves. Prejudice is given no more focus than as period-appropriate flavor, a patronizing tourism meant most of all to inform the myth of the white outlaw in a hypocritical society; at one point, Arthur makes a laughable statement to some Native American characters that goes something like, “The government don’t like me any more than they like you, and like you, my time here is nearly finished.” After all, if the white outlaw can no longer be free, then who truly is?

Digital Foundry Tech Analysis

Key notes:

* XBX runs in native 4K
    * PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160
    * XBX best performance with a few drops in towns
    * PS4 Pro next best thing with solid framerate in wilderness but again dropping some frames in towns.
    * PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though.
    * Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)
    * PS4 1080p
    * XB One 864p
    * No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.
    * DF consider the game a stunning achievement regardless and believe the XBX X version is the best and by a considerable margin.

Native 4K and the best performance. Behold the power of the X. Though it still looks amazing on all the other consoles. Was not really shocked the Xbox One could not even hit 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    97 on PS4 and 98 on Xbox Among both there are only 3 reviews under 90.

The lowest was 70 and they are the same people that gave Far Cry 5 a 5 out of 10 and spent the last few paragraphs moaning about how a Western based game does not delve far enough into into the politics of slavery, women's rights, etc.
    I feel like the excerpt of the review you posted used a lot of long, smart-sounding buzzwords, but didn't actually say anything of relevance.

What stands out to me in reviews have been the 50 hour main story (about what I expected) and some people thinking the game starts slow. Even with that, I'm still looking forward to getting the game down the line.

Has anyone heard an estimate on how long it would take to do all current side missions as well. I'm assuming that might triple the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I feel like the excerpt of the review you posted used a lot of long, smart-sounding buzzwords, but didn't actually say anything of relevance.

What stands out to me in reviews have been the 50 hour main story (about what I expected) and some people thinking the game starts slow. Even with that, I'm still looking forward to getting the game down the line.

Has anyone heard an estimate on how long it would take to do all current side missions as well. I'm assuming that might triple the time.
    As an example with fishing. There are 200 different types of fish to catch. Some more easily found than others. That alone could take 20+ hours if someone really enjoyed fishing. If you like the hunting, collecting, etc. Easily a hundred hours+ in the singleplayer alone. Remember that most reviewers were rushing through the game to get a review out. Even rushing it took 50 hours and they barely touched the side stuff. Every NPC can be talked to and there are stories/side quests you might not see if you never talk to them.

Also there are comparison shots by Digital Foundry. Scroll down to the Launch Coomparison Tool. You can move the images around in the comparison or see the whole image by selecting the consoles. PS4 Pro owners are going to be a bit dissapointed. There are a couple where the PS4 looks as good, if not better than the Pro.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ion-2-face-off

Last edited by bdoughty; 10-25-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Played for around four hours and we made it out of the snow and to the first real base camp. It is a bit slow paced during this period but does so to get you into the story and the mechanics of the game. Game runs smooth as butter and is just stunning. My only complaint is the controls are typical Rockstar controls. Player movement can be awkward and picking up items is a bit more clumsy than it needs to be. Also it is hard to see which button you need to press (on screen prompts) since everything is in white and they should have used color face buttons in it's place or at least an option. It also hurts during dialog early on as you have to trigger onto a person and select the proper button to talk, subdue, incite, etc. Over time it should be fine but could have been handled much better. Shooting is real good so far but I have not had an issue with that since the early GTA games when it was awful. Horse riding is great, one of things I loved about RDR. Once you get out of the snow you do get hit with the need to start looking after yourself and your horse. I enjoy the micromanaging ad look forward to it. Went from a Cold to Warm area, so I need to get some lighter clothes as it impacts your health with being too hot or cold.

Yeah I just made it out to the 1st base camp and I agree its really pretty but the controls are quite clunky (especially trying to pick up items when there are multiple items near) shooting also is frustrating. I've also got to get used to all the "sim" aspects of the game.

Just picked up my Pro. Installing now but I will probably lend it to my brother sooner than later. Our Amazon orders all got delayed so who knows when we are getting them. Only pre-ordered in the summer of 2017!

Really want to see HZD, 2K19 and Spidey on the Pro! My wife's birthday tonight too. Have plans but tomorrow the Pro is all mine!

Our Amazon orders all got delayed so who knows when we are getting them. Only pre-ordered in the summer of 2017!
    Were they at a discounted price? I only ask because I saw that Amazon.ca is being looked into for trying to force customers who got really great deals to cancel their orders.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...nca_now_being/

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Were they at a discounted price? I only ask because I saw that Amazon.ca is being looked into for trying to force customers who got really great deals to cancel their orders.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comment...nca_now_being/
    Absolutely. We ordered it for $50 instead of the normal $80 over here. Amazon normally had crazy good sales during e3 except this year nothing. You can’t even pre order most new games anymore. They kind of suck for games now.

Just starting and using a few suggestions on controls here. I do like how the game pauses in black and white. A nice touch.

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-red-...on-2-settings/

Edit: I think the snow and tracks look good. Maybe my TV isn’t good enough but I’m not a big fan of HDR. I think the game looks better with it off. I’m not a videophile so I like colours that pop.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-27-2018 at 06:28 AM.

As much as I want to, I'm not purchasing. This is on my xmas list for sure. Hopefully some of the bugs and controls will be addressed once I get my hands on it.

Have fun for those who have it.

I’ve read people complaining about the movement and controls. I really don’t have an issue with it outside of me not remembering what each button does at times. That said I’m early in the game and I haven’t had to rush to take a health tonic or anything.