Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010-11 NHL Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

2010-11 NHL Discussion

The Penguins started having players deliver season tickets to a few lucky season ticket holders a few years ago. I have been surprised that other teams (in any sport) haven't followed suit.

You may know about the first time they did this and Crosby visited one lady who responded to him asking if she thought they'd win the Cup by telling him "not this year, but next year." That year the Pens lost in The Finals to Detroit. The following year, when they won (as she predicted) Crosby returned to her home with the Cup. Good stuff.

Here's an article and video about this year's event.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_699003.html

Per ESPN.com, Bruins C Marc Savard could miss the entire season due to post-concussion syndrome.

And the fans of Boston will continue to hate on my own Matt Cooke.

Well, the Pens preseason is underway! Comrie from Sterling and Michalek at 1:21 of the 1st against Detroit. 3 newcomers combine for the 1st goal of 10-11.

Damn, I'm ready for hockey.

Yeah I'm ready too ... was very surprised that the Flyers made the Staney Cup Finals...wasn't expecting it at all...their first final since I became a fan in 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Yeah I'm ready too ... was very surprised that the Flyers made the Staney Cup Finals...wasn't expecting it at all...their first final since I became a fan in 2000.
    Hey! I'm not in here talking to myself anymore!

For the record, the Flyers and Pens open the season (and the Consol Energy Center) on 10/7 on Versus!

Pens beat the Wings, 5-1 tonight in their exhibition opener, FWIW. And, the Bruins are disputing reports that Savard could miss the entire season. Meanwhile, Seguin had an assist in his debut with the B's tonight.
    Last edited by steelerfan; 09-23-2010 at 01:33 AM.

I'm pumped for Thursday night! Let's Go Pens!!

Bummer, I'll miss the game cuz Huskers are on ESPN that night against K-State.

I saw that former Pen Ruslan Fedotenko signed with the Rangers today. I'm pumped about Pittsburgh's add of Mike Comrie after deciding they couldn't bring Fedotenko or Bill Guerin back. Comrie played fantastic with Malkin in the preseason.

JB, I read a couple days ago that Guerin was in danger of being an odd man out in Philly. Do you have any feel for that?

NM, he's been cut.

For anyone so inclined, go to www.pittsburghpenguins.com and check out the "Mario Mosaic" video that went up today on the front page. It's a mosaic of Lemiuex that is on display at Consol Energy Center. The mosaic is made up of pictures of 20,000 fans and was done for cancer research. It's very impressive and I'm kicking myself for not participating, I tend to procrastinate with stuff like this.

EDIT: click on View Full Site at the bottom of the screen.
    Last edited by steelerfan; 10-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.

6 hours till the puck drops in the 'Burgh. I can't freaking wait!

As a side note, Malkin will open the season as the Pens' 2nd line RW with Comrie playing the pivot. It worked out really well in the preseason.

Nearing the midpoint of the 2nd in Helsinki, the Wild and Hurricanes are tied at 1. The game is on Versus.

Well, though the Flyers pulled out a 3-2 win tonight, I'm so glad hockey is back.

Finally I can care about NHL. Avalanche are about to get underway against the Blackhawks. Come on Avs! Make 2010-11 a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Well, though the Flyers pulled out a 3-2 win tonight, I'm so glad hockey is back.
    And I'm so glad the dirty Penguins went down pretty impressed with the rookie netminder Bobrovsky in the part of the first period I saw plus highlights.

And I'm so glad the 3-Time Stanley Cup Champion Penguins went down pretty impressed with the rookie netminder Bobrovsky in the part of the first period I saw plus highlights.
    He played well. But, keep your shorts on, rookie goalies sometimes take a bit before guys figure them out (think of a pitcher switching leagues). See Varlamov and Hedberg for prime examples.

Nice wins tonight for Colorado (4-3 OT vs Hawks) and Edmonton (4-0 vs Flames, Eberle 2 goals - SH and PP). Also, the Montreal fans got what they've been waiting for (a loss by Price). Ahhh, hockey season.

EDIT: Check that. It appears Eberle's PPG is being credited to Horcoff with Eberle getting the primary assist (per THN).
    Last edited by steelerfan; 10-08-2010 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    He played well. But, keep your shorts on, rookie goalies sometimes take a bit before guys figure them out (think of a pitcher switching leagues). See Varlamov and Hedberg for prime examples.
    Yeah but he won't be starting every game. Boucher is in the mix, and then Leighton when he gets back from injury.

Yeah but he won't be starting every game. Boucher is in the mix, and then Leighton when he gets back from injury.
    Oh, I understand. I'm just saying a lot of goalies come into the league and are amazing for a short time, then get figured out. You have every right to be excited, I'm just cautioning against history. Particularly since Varlamov was his chief rival in their U18 National days. On the other hand, I've seen young guys beat the Pens in their first start and stick (Cam Ward). The big advantage that Bobrovsky has over Varlamov is a great 6-deep set of blueliners in front of him.

Right now on Versus.... Canes/Wild headed to OT tied at 1.

Sharks/Jackets coming up at 3 EST.

Just read that Leighton will have a partial discectomy next week and will be out 6 to 8 weeks.

I had that procedure almost 10 years ago. No fun. Basically, the portion of your disc(s) that is/are herniated (bulging) is trimmed away.

Well, after a pair of 3-2 losses, the Pens got a much-needed 3-1 win over NJ today. After getting swept by the Devils last year, it's good to beat them right off the bat.

NJ has some serious cap issues. They only kept 20 players (18+2) to stay under. Now, after 2 injuries and waiving Letourneau-Leblond, they're 0-2-1 and had only 15 skaters today. They have some tinkering to do, and fast.

On a good note, it appears that Thrashers' goalie, Ondrej Pavelec, had a fainting spell that caused his collapse Friday against Washington. He hopes to be back soon.