Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirk Herbstreit Wants NCAA Football Series to Return

• Facebook
  • Display

Kirk Herbstreit Wants NCAA Football Series to Return

One of the in-game commentators in the NCAA Football franchise has now become one of the first - if not the loudest - voices in trying to get the franchise to return.

Analyst Kirk Herbsteit is not only hoping the series returns, he puts the blame squarely at the feet of Ed O'Bannon, whose class-action lawsuit helped lead to the (temporary?) end of EA SPORTS' NCAA Football franchise. In an interview with SECcountry.com, Herbstreit issued the following comments: “I was probably as devastated or more devastated than anybody in the country. I’ll do anything I can do to help be a part, to lead a cause, bring that game back.” ... "I can’t believe Ed O’Bannon took that game away from us.”

If Herbstreit is serious about helping to see NCAA Football return - which we believe he is - he should use his connections and weekly in-season meetings with Athletic Directors and athletic departments to push for schools/conferences to actually use their highly clamored for autonomy and establish player likeness rights for student-athletes. Since acquiring the rights to make some of their own rules, the Power Five conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC) and the NCAA have continued to punt on finally addressing this long-term issue. Until that issue (and likely all litigation) is settled, there is no little to no hope for the franchise returning.

Continue on to read an excerpt of SECcountry.com's interview with Herbstreit.

Kirk Herbstreit’s friendly tone was gone. It was mid-November, and the upbeat ESPN analyst just finished discussing Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and Alabama’s College Football Playoff hopes.

Then he go [sic] quiet; angry silence brought about by a simple question: Are they bringing the NCAA Football video game back?

There’s a rustle on the other end of the line.

Then, Herbstreit spoke.

“They better,” he said. “I can’t believe Ed O’Bannon took that game away from us.”

There’s plenty to unpack here. “They” is a conglomerate of the NCAA, EA Sports and a coalition of former players headed by O’Bannon, an ex-UCLA and NBA forward who filed an antitrust class action lawsuit against the NCAA demanding payment for commercial use of amateur athletes’ images.

One of the lawsuit’s consequences was the demise of NCAA Football, EA Sports’ beloved video-game franchise that used tens of thousands of players’ likenesses in its run from 1993-2013.

Herbstreit, a senior Ohio State quarterback when the inaugural version of NCAA Football dropped, would play marathon sessions with wide receiver Joey Galloway.

“I can’t even tell you how many hours we put in on that game,” Herbstreit says.

Within a decade, Herbstreit was featured on the game as an analyst, teaming up with play-by-play man Brad Nessler and peppy former coach Lee Corso to become an unforgettable video game trio.

When EA Sports discontinued publishing the game two years ago, Herbstreit was floored.

“I was probably as devastated or more devastated than anybody in the country,” he says. “I’ll do anything I can do to help be a part, to lead a cause, bring that game back.”

Herbstreit contends that — pay or no pay — athletes want the franchise to return.

“Every single college football player,” he said. “You know what they’d love for their compensation to be? Just give ‘em a free game. That’s the compensation that they would take.

“I’ve never met one player in college football that’s like: ‘They can’t use my name and likeness! I need to be paid!’ They’re just thrilled to be on the game. They love being on the game. It’s like the biggest highlight of their life, is to be on the game.”

Courtesy: SECcountry.com

Kirk is my hero

Glad he called out that douchebag O'Bannon.
    The dude abides.

I applaud him for throwing O'Bannon under the bus where he belongs but let's not kid ourselves.

Herbstreit is/was distraught about the death of the series because he misses the big paycheck he got every year to fly in and record 3 or 4 new lines while the old lines were recycled.

I doubt he cares about the game being gone for the same reasons we do.

Either way, I hope he misses the easy money enough to get something done and get us our game back.

Kirk Herbstreit Wants NCAA Football Series to Return

While I'm sure he likes the check (who wouldn't?), I think he was a genuine fan of the game and he seems to understand that the game's fan base was as passionate about the game as the actual sport itself.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    While I'm sure he likes the check (who wouldn't?), I think he was a genuine fan of the game and he seems to understand that the game's fan base was as passionate about the game as the actual sport itself.
    I agree with that assessment. In some follow-up tweets he has basically said that it shouldn't be this hard or difficult to figure out a way for the game to return. Again, I think he is correct.

People can argue or debate forever on who is to blame (NCAA, EA, conference, schools, disgruntled former/current players, lawyers, etc.) but what are any of those parties doing now to resolve the issue (paying for player likeness)? Maybe there is action behind-the-scenes for some of them, but it sure appears that most (none?) are truly interested in the matter. This is why the lawsuit and the 'cause' rings more and more hollow as time goes on. They weren't looking to solve this great issue of 'player likeness exploitation,' they were looking for money. All that's happened is that a lot of good people lost jobs and players still have no avenue for likeness usage in a video game, which I feel Herbie is right in saying many (but not all) players supported.

If it takes guys like Herbie & Snoop Dogg to get some sort of pressure or conversation started on this, I say good for them. The next step is likely a combination of pressure on ADs/conferences, perhaps by the players themselves. If they have the collective voice they think or hope they do, this would be an easy/good way to prove it. However, it feels as if the conferences and players are happy with the status quo. It seems as if the Power Five only pursued autonomy for some leverage against the NCAA should they feel they aren't getting a big enough piece of the pie; it wasn't to better the experience for the student-athlete.

While I'm sure he likes the check (who wouldn't?), I think he was a genuine fan of the game.
    This I agree with or is at least believable.

I want the game back and I am proud to see Herby blast people for its demise. That being said, I believe this game is dead and will not be returning to console. Chances are that video game consoles in their present form have 1-2 generations left and I just don't see this issue being settled 10 years from now.

I think if Herbie starts to actively push for the return of the game, more talks will happen behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    I think if Herbie starts to actively push for the return of the game, more talks will happen behind the scenes.
    you have it backwards. The facebook gossip and quotes from him already mean something is going on and they are teasing

Is everything a conspiracy with you? Are we living in the Matrix? Are you Neo? The one who's here to free our minds?

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    you have it backwards. The facebook gossip and quotes from him already mean something is going on and they are teasing
    Fucking shut the fuck up. Seriously! Not everything is rigged and scripted. Get a fucking clue about life!

Fucking shut the fuck up. Seriously! Not everything is rigged and scripted. Get a fucking clue about life!

Is everything a conspiracy with you? Are we living in the Matrix? Are you Neo? The one who's here to free our minds?
    another millions/billion dollar company doesnt make mistakes like that. It has nothing to with a conspiracy. They wouldnt do that on facebook and then have Kirk comment unless the ball was already rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I forgive both of you your disrespectful,immature,ignorance.

nothing is a conspiracy. You just dont know how to comprehend reality yet.

Poll idea for the future.

Who is the bigger douchebag?

Ed O'Bannion
    Ram

another millions/billion dollar company doesnt make mistakes like that. It has nothing to with a conspiracy. They wouldnt do that on facebook and then have Kirk comment unless the ball was already rolling.
    I forgive both of you your disrespectful,immature,ignorance.

I say this with all sincerity. FUCK OFF!

Keep your stupid dumbass bullshit in your stupid dumbass thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Poll idea for the future.

Who is the bigger douchebag?

Ed O'Bannion
    Ram

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post