Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 College Football Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

2016-2017 College Football Discussion Thread

Might as well get this one underway.

First odds for new season already available in Vegas. They expect another improbable Tide title run:

#SMTTT
    #GeauxCajuns

Nebraska OFF
    The dude abides.

7-1 odds and Big Game Bob. You would be crazy not to lay money down on OU.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    7-1 odds and Big Game Bob. You would be crazy not to lay money down on OU.
    Not sure if it's been noted, but they lost to TEXAS.

I heard that rumor but did not investigate further.

Texas football back in their prime. Celebrating 18 year olds signing pieces of paper more than wins on the field.

If Michigan gets at least average LB play and gets good C replacement, that team will be very, very good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    If Michigan gets at least average LB play and gets good C replacement, that team will be very, very good.
    Pretty sure Harbaugh had a sleepover with a good linebacker and climbed on top of the roof with a center and threw rocks at cars as they drove by, so you guys are good.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Pretty sure Harbaugh had a sleepover with a good linebacker and climbed on top of the roof with a center and threw rocks at cars as they drove by, so you guys are good.
    Worked for Bear Bryant too, so all good in order to get those wins!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

If the state of Louisiana doesn't fleece taxpayers more get desired tax increases, LSU may not play football this fall - well, according to the Governor, that is.

Facing a budget crisis, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards says higher education in the state could be compromised. And that includes the possibility of college athletics in Louisiana being canceled.

In a statewide televised address Thursday, Edwards said campuses could run out of money and be forced to shut down in April, highlighting the LSU football team as one of the potential losses from massive cuts to higher education funding.

"If you are a student attending one of these universities, it means that you will receive a grade of incomplete, many students will not be able to graduate, and student-athletes across the state at those schools will be ineligible to play next semester," Edwards said, according to The Times-Picayune. "That means you can say farewell to college football next fall."

The Democratic governor is pushing for tax increases to help make up a $940 million budget deficit by the end of June. He said Louisiana could be forced to cut vital health services as well.

"These are not scare tactics. This is reality," Edwards said. "An unstable state budget will not only hurt children and working families in our state, it will devastate communities, businesses and local government as well."

I was just going to post that. Maybe they should take out a loan from the football program to help?

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...l-teams-122215

#3 LSU $58 million

Before we start killing the governor, just know that he's only 1 month on the job after 8 years of Bobby Jindal and he left the new governor with anywhere between 600 million-900 million dollar budget deficit (depending on what source you ask). Taxes may be the only way to fix the issue as Bobby Jindal already cut lots of stuff during his tenure but didn't find a away to increase revenue.

That's true, but I've read that reduced oil-tax revenue is also hurting the state. My issue is more with what I perceive as fear-mongering by the Governor. He's seemingly playing it off as citizens being fine with the state almost tits up due to debt, but threaten no football and they'll empty their pockets. Unfortunately, he's probably not off-base in the priority level for many citizens.

I'm not familiar with LSU or how other LA colleges are run, but I would guess they are like Nebraska - raising tuition costs, reducing college offerings, too expensive for out of state students, faculty tenured in for life, constantly in a state of construction (new buildings), etc. With that whiz-bang operations plan, they'll be in debt (or a poor college) no matter what the state (or feds) kick in. Sadly, a number of schools (and states?) would be best-suited to go bankrupt and start over with a proper set of priorities instead of just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, which is what LSU/LA seems to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    That's true, but I've read that reduced oil-tax revenue is also hurting the state. My issue is more with what I perceive as fear-mongering by the Governor. He's seemingly playing it off as citizens being fine with the state almost tits up due to debt, but threaten no football and they'll empty their pockets. Unfortunately, he's probably not off-base in the priority level for many citizens.

I'm not familiar with LSU or how other LA colleges are run, but I would guess they are like Nebraska - raising tuition costs, reducing college offerings, too expensive for out of state students, faculty tenured in for life, constantly in a state of construction (new buildings), etc. With that whiz-bang operations plan, they'll be in debt (or a poor college) no matter what the state (or feds) kick in. Sadly, a number of schools (and states?) would be best-suited to go bankrupt and start over with a proper set of priorities instead of just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, which is what LSU/LA seems to be doing.
    There's a lot of fear mongering but in this case, it's warranted. Jindal cut and cut and cut but the cuts didn't offset the expenditures. Completely eliminating "entitlement programs" won't offset it either and would just leave too many people starving and without access to adequate healthcare. The writing was on the wall for years but Jindal put his head in the sand to run for president.

The LSU athletic department is in the black. The situation doesn't effect athletics directly as they have their own self-sustaining budget. They wouldn't need the school if it weren't for that pesky student-athlete thing. The budget issues would cause teachers to go unpaid which means classes can't be completed which would make players ineligible.

Another problem is that we have too many universities. I think we have 9 public universities in our state which is probably too many for a population of our size.
    Last edited by souljahbill; 02-12-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    The LSU athletic department is in the black. The situation doesn't effect athletics directly as they have their own self-sustaining budget.
    I should have clarified that I meant the academic side of the University, not athletics. My bad.

Nebraska's Ath. Dept. is self-sustaining as well - and like you said, I'm sure they'd prefer that pesky student-athlete thing not get in the way either.

Keyshawn Jr. is coming to Nebraska.

The dude abides.

Smith announced a while ago he wouldn't be returning, but Schad leaving seems like a surprise. I assume he/they are off to FS1?

College football preview magazine season is here. Picked up The Sporting News preview at Wal-Mart today.

This is how you handle players fighting in practice.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/wash...ng-hands-video