Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 16 Sells 8,300 Copies in Week One?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Hell, have they even bothered to promote it after release? I sure don't recall any promotions at all leading up to release.

Sad to see the drop when this game is on par or better than Live 10. I've probably played 100 combined games already with LUT, Live Run, Rising Star, and Summer Circuit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

This game is clearly better than Live 10. That game had no fast breaks and was too PG heavy. It also tried to make stars out of some post guys like Omar Asik. This game the touches are distributed pretty well. It's very enjoyable. I get annoyed at people saying it's full of bugs because it's not true after the patches.

A fair criticism is about lack of support, roster edits, lack of online fatigue, nba live rewind and so many of those things should be easy fixes and instead they shoot themselves in the foot. Sliders do help with things although a few more would be nice for defence or style of play. My biggest beef is the lack of roster editing right now. I haven't started a franchise yet.

I heard Live is not going to get a good Black Friday sale. That would be a mistake. Get this game into peoples hands and start supporting it!

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Hell, have they even bothered to promote it after release? I sure don't recall any promotions at all leading up to release.
    There have been a lot of commercials on NBA TV, but in terms of a more mainstream campaign? No. Supposedly there was some tie-in with Live on ESPN's NBA coverage the other night, but I did not see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I heard Live is not going to get a good Black Friday sale. That would be a mistake. Get this game into peoples hands and start supporting it!
    It's currently down to around $35 on Amazon, I believe. I'd like to see it get to $25-30 for Black Friday. That, a patch, and some communication from EA would do wonders IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    There have been a lot of commercials on NBA TV, but in terms of a more mainstream campaign? No. Supposedly there was some tie-in with Live on ESPN's NBA coverage the other night, but I did not see it.

It's currently down to around $35 on Amazon, I believe. I'd like to see it get to $25-30 for Black Friday. That, a patch, and some communication from EA would do wonders IMO.
    Nope. Other than the uninformed moms/dads out there everyone knows 2K is far superior to Live. It gets the best reviews and sells millions more copies than Live so you would have to live under a rock to not know you are better off purchasing 2K for your basketball gaming wants/needs.

EA has two options at this point: #1 Do something truly revolutionary and groundbreaking and hope it gets positive coverage leading to selling more copies #2 cancel the series or continue making the series knowing your losing your shareholders' money.

#2 is far more likely than #1 as I have seen nothing from any of EA's titles that leads me to believe they have the talent to do anything truly game changing in any sports title this generation.

People forget how badly 2ksports shit all over their customers with NBA 2K14. Broken playoffs, images/content not loading, server issues, more server issues and a ton of other things I have forgotten. Topped off with some of the worst customer service in regards to the issues. It got to the point they had to start giving out VC because they had no fix for it. Go through the NBA 2K14 thread here, it is not long but I am pretty sure there are rants about this, including ones I wrote.

Yet with all that said, look at the numbers. As bad as NBA 2K14 was, EA screwed up 100 times worse with the way they handled the series and in a small part the way they ignored fixing NCAA Basketball 10. Most people talk about how things were getting better with Live 10, so what does EA do? Try to turn it into some sort of bastard child with the NHL game controls. It only went downhill from there by going into hiding for a few years. Throw in the first two NBA Live games for this gen not being anything special, what does anyone expect?

They can advertise the crap out of the game and it will still never come close to selling what it once did. 2K will always get a pass for producing an NBA basketball game every year, while EA Sports had it's head so far up it's ass it had employees that actually thought NBA Elite 11 was a good idea.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-20-2015 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Nope. Other than the uninformed moms/dads out there everyone knows 2K is far superior to Live. It gets the best reviews and sells millions more copies than Live so you would have to live under a rock to not know you are better off purchasing 2K for your basketball gaming wants/needs.

Through six weeks (global; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 69,051
    NBA Live 16 - 27,718

Through six weeks (US; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 46,425
    NBA Live 16 - 21,915

The numbers are getting off here due to the different release dates. By week six, Live 15 was in the swing of holiday purchases - through Black Friday, Cyber Monday and into the first week of December. Week six of Live 16 puts it through just the first week of November. However, the Live 16 numbers have increased each of the last two to three weeks, depending on location and console.
    Now that the (first) big update is out and seems positively received, hopefully they will start to market the game more and maybe even get another big update out in a month or so.

Let's put that in perspective to what sales were like before they tried to destroy the Live legacy. Using the same vgcharts numbers. Totals were from combined PS3 and 360 sales figures.
    * NCAA Basketball 10 did have the advantage of being released a month later for more holiday purchases in that time frame but still...

Through six weeks (global; consoles combined):
    NCAA Basketball 10 (cancelled) - 275,000
    NBA Live 10 - 200,000
    NBA Live 15 - 69,051
    NBA Live 16 - 27,718
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-25-2015 at 03:18 AM.

More people just need to know about it. It's a great game.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    More people just need to know about it. It's a great game.

There. I have done my part.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    The dude abides.

The first comment on NBA Live 16 from EA that I have read or come across:

The NBA realm of gaming has pretty much been dominated by 2K Sports' title, NBA 2K, over the past handful of years, but EA has been trying hard to compete. Despite their efforts, Moore said their version of the sports experience has yet to perform as they had hoped.

"Our NBA title has bluntly underperformed versus the other [EA Sports] franchises. It's a very strategic part of the overall portfolio that encompasses what we believe EA Sports should be on a global basis and [NBA LIVE] is clearly not hitting $100 million. We got a very competitive title in what 2K does with [NBA 2K], but we're very committed to the NBA...If there's one silver-lining it's that [the NBA] has grown the basketball business enormously," Moore said.

Courtesy: Examiner.com

It would help if they actually promoted it so people knew it was out there. I bet you the general and casual gamer doesn't know it is out there and are just conditioned to get 2K.
    The dude abides.

It doesn't help when the average Gamestop employee will push 2k over it all day despite the fact most of them never even play sports games. Plus the guys on OS had over 1300 voted that the game sucked even though most had never played the retail version. There is a huge stigma against it that EA needs to fix.

Through eight weeks (global; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 132,561
    NBA Live 16 - 42,558

Through eight weeks (US; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 91,447
    NBA Live 16 - 31,263

- The three best weeks for Live 15 were the weeks preceding Christmas.
    - Live 16 numbers are through the week of November 21, pre-Black Friday, I believe.
    - Weeks seven and eight were the 2nd & 3rd best for Live 16; the best since launch.

It's tough to see nba 2k16 outselling it by 100:1. And Live is a very solid game. I actually prefer the gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    It's tough to see nba 2k16 outselling it by 100:1. And Live is a very solid game. I actually prefer the gameplay.
    I hope there is a true balls out push for 17.
    The dude abides.

Do you guys ever use the step back jumpers? The defence is always all over me. It never creates space.

I wish I had kept up with the weekly numbers, but checking in now the game has sold 208,647 copies combined on PS4/XB1 according to VGChartz. I do not know what date that is through, however.