Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 16 Sells 8,300 Copies in Week One?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Metacritic scores don't put money in the coffers. Sales do.

Brent had a great point about the sales in Japan but those scores - meh.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Metacritic scores don't put money in the coffers. Sales do.

Brent had a great point about the sales in Japan but those scores - meh.
    IF you are at the bottom against a giant competitor (as both PES and Live are) you MUST win the media covering you over to get the public to give you a shot. PES has at least started to do that with many preferring it over its giant competitor FIFA. Live is NOWHERE close.

Moreover, PES is in a stronger position b/c #1 soccer is more popular world wide than NBA. #2 PES is its publisher's ONLY AAA game. Live is the WORST AAA title in a LONG line of AAA titles in EA's catalog.

Honestly it is a VERY VERY SMALL minority that really cares about let alone look at the meta.

Otherwise there would be 10's of thousands of user ratings on the site instead of dozens.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Honestly it is a VERY VERY SMALL minority that really cares about let alone look at the meta.

Otherwise there would be 10's of thousands of user ratings on the site instead of dozens.
    Yes the meta doesn't get allot of traffic but the meta takes reviews from lots of sites where presumably thousands of gamers view/read reviews. Safe to say PES got some + coverage this year from the gaming press. Live has had years now of negative coverage and the series' reputation has been damaged severely to the point that there may be no way to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yes the meta but the meta takes reviews from lots of sites where presumably thousands of gamers view/read reviews. Safe to say PES got some + coverage this year from the gaming press. Live has had years now of negative coverage and the series' reputation has been damaged severely to the point that there may be no way to recover.
    Thousands of gamers is still a very small % of the consumer.

As for Live. I figured this would be the year to go all out on advertising because this is the best game since 10 and my favorite in the series. Maybe next year they do it.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Thousands of gamers is still a very small % of the consumer.

As for Live. I figured this would be the year to go all out on advertising because this is the best game since 10 and my favorite in the series. Maybe next year they do it.
    Yes but they are typically the early adopters (you know the people that actually know the release date) - the theory would be they read the reviews see PES is better than FIFA buy it instead and tell/show their friends this "cool" alternative.

It's a snowball effect you have to hope on if you are getting crushed with the same type of product.

If I were EA I'd seriously consider just cutting bait and dumping Live (and Golf) - these titles are not selling and are losing $. Time to save the costs of developing those titles and spend those resources on more lucrative titles.

Didn't we see numbers recently that say Rory is selling?

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Didn't we see numbers recently that say Rory is selling?
    VGChartz has it at about 350k worldwide, 160k in NA.
    The dude abides.

59 is unfairly low for Live 16. I'm waiting for opening day rosters and hoping for some Pistons updates. No roster editing is simply stupid. I'll reserve my score until I get some franchise games in but the game is at least a 7.5 imo and I would push it to an 8 or so. Needs more advanced post game, most signature animations and team styles along with better paint defence as the mid range game is weak. But it has nice plays, shot meter, good controls, fast breaks and is simply fun. In a vacuum it would be reviewed much higher. The nba 2k giant certainly hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    59 is unfairly low for Live 16. I'm waiting for opening day rosters and hoping for some Pistons updates. No roster editing is simply stupid. I'll reserve my score until I get some franchise games in but the game is at least a 7.5 imo and I would push it to an 8 or so. Needs more advanced post game, most signature animations and team styles along with better paint defence as the mid range game is weak. But it has nice plays, shot meter, good controls, fast breaks and is simply fun. In a vacuum it would be reviewed much higher. The nba 2k giant certainly hurts.
    I dunno if the daily player update system plays into not being able to edit rosters to where adding it would be a great undertaking. Just a guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

On the bright side it is one point ahead of Goat Simulator.

59 is low and 2K16's success does not help. Look at many of the review dates. Most are a week or more after the release. It was an afterthought for many. Some of that falls on EA for not creating enough hype around the game. A few of the reviews simply look like fillers, to add to the total games reviewed by site. Search internet to find issues with the game and post low score.

The NBA Live 16 discussion from the September NPD thread has been moved here.

VGChartz has finally caught up with old sales data.

They are listing week one (Sept 27 - Oct 3) US sales as follows:

NBA 2K16 (XB1, PS4, PS3, 360) - 811,400
    NBA Live 16 (XB1, PS4) - 10,643

Not earth-shattering, but better than what was initially reported. 2K likely hits the 1.1M number with worldwide sales. Not sure where Live's extra numbers come from. Digital? Worldwide? Longer reporting data timeframe than NPD?

This game has to be done. I just don't see how EA will continue to make it with sales that low. NCAA basketball shattered that number and it was cancelled. Unless EA runs this game as a loss leader I just don't see another year. What are the production costs and licensing fees? EA must be losing buckets of money with this series. You guys have any inside scoop that says otherwise that the game will go on? It's sad because it has made great strides but it's just so far below 2k now that they will never be able to catch up.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 11-06-2015 at 09:43 PM.

It certainly is scary for the future. I hope they keep going as the basketball market does sell games. Just had another great game against the Knicks this morning. They shoot themselves in the foot with the lack of roster editing and options.

Still don't understand why EA doesn't try baseball where they have no competition on Xbone and people are a bit tired of a stale Show franchise that changes at the speed of a glacier.

It certainly is scary for the future. I hope they keep going as the basketball market does sell games. Just had another great game against the Knicks this morning. They shoot themselves in the foot with the lack of roster editing and options.

Still don't understand why EA doesn't try baseball where they have no competition on Xbone and people are a bit tired of a stale Show franchise that changes at the speed of a glacier.
    Maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with The Show? Seems to me they have the BEST sports game product from any of the sports. Any attempt by EA to test The Show would likewise only end in embarrassing sales numbers. (by now any baseball fan has bought a PS4 since there are no baseball games on xb1)

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    This game has to be done. I just don't see how EA will continue to make it with sales that low. NCAA basketball shattered that number and it was cancelled. Unless EA runs this game as a loss leader I just don't see another year. What are the production costs and licensing fees? EA must be losing buckets of money with this series. You guys have any inside scoop that says otherwise that the game will go on? It's sad because it has made great strides but it's just so far below 2k now that they will never be able to catch up.
    There will be NBA Live 17. Devs have tweeted in the last few weeks they are already working on it. I've read in the past that EA has the NBA license through Live 17 and then will have to renew/renegotiate after that. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I think it is safe to say 17 needs to be a big year.

I went back and used VGChartz' numbers for US week one sales for NBA Live 15 & 16.

NBA Live 15 listed as selling 9,782 in US week one.
    NBA Live 16 (as mentioned above) listed as selling 10,643.

That indicates just under a 9% (math willing) increase in US sales. The overall number is still very low and should be higher, but it is better than being reported.

Supposedly the licensing costs to make an MLB game are very high. 2K Sports' Strauss Zelnick just went on comment as saying "the opportunities in baseball have diminished over time." (He left out any discussion on MLB 2K, however.)

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something but what is wrong with The Show? Seems to me they have the BEST sports game product from any of the sports. Any attempt by EA to test The Show would likewise only end in embarrassing sales numbers. (by now any baseball fan has bought a PS4 since there are no baseball games on xb1)
    The Show has failed to update their announcers and the game feels the same today as it did 10 years ago. It DOES get tremendous reviews but at the end of the day the sales really aren't that good. According to VGChartz the PS4 version hasn't even sold 500,000 copies and that series rarely hit 1 million sales. Contrast that with MVP baseball on the PS2 that sold over 1.5 million on that system alone and about 2.5 million total despite competition from other baseball games in a non-exclusive environment. NBA 2K has shown how to grow a market. MLB the Show, despite rave reviews, has shown has to grow stale and shrink imo. Madden's sales haven't shown any growth either and they should be embarrassed that the #1 sport in the US has fallen to NBA 2K in sales.

As for Live, it wasn't promoted again. Live 17 needs to be EVERYWHERE on television, online ads, ESPN Radio, EVERYWHERE for promotion. The game is above where Live 10 was, so there just needs to be that push to increase brand awareness.

Maybe start pre-orders for Live right when the playoffs start and include a free digital copy of Live 16 for pre-orders?
    The dude abides.

Hopefully as part of the NPD numbers, we can get the latest numbers on Live 16.

In the meantime, VGChartz now has week two numbers.

Through two weeks (global; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 17,892
    NBA Live 16 - 16,329 (-8.7%)

Worth noting that the game is down about 31% on PS4, but up 55% on Xbox One. PS4 still top selling console version of choice, selling at 1.3:1 clip.

There's no way to know, but I wonder how much competing directly with NBA 2K versus being released a month later like last year hurts, as well as the lack of promotion and marketing.

For the game's sake, I hope it is included as part of some Black Friday deals. I have yet to see it listed anywhere.
    Last edited by cdj; 11-12-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Through four weeks (global; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 28,329
    NBA Live 16 - 21,228 (-25%)

Through four weeks (US; consoles combined):
    NBA Live 15 - 19,733
    NBA Live 16 - 16,726 (-15%)

Last year, week five saw a big spike in sales for NBA Live 15, corresponding with Black Friday deals. Sales remained on the uptick through Christmas. With the difference in release dates between 15 & 16, the Black Friday/Holiday sales for 16 will not be available for another month (16 numbers through October). In that time, hopefully a significant patch, deals, and maybe even some promotion will help surpass 15's numbers.

Numbers courtesy VGChartz.