Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 16 Sells 8,300 Copies in Week One?

• Facebook
  • Display

NBA Live 16 Sells 8,300 Copies in Week One?

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Any numbers on Taken King?
    Hard to say since NPD does not allow for that information to be posted. Unless it is from the publisher of the game. Also as digital grows the NPD numbers get less accurate as they do not account for digital sales in their figure. Nintendo says Mario Maker sold 445K and was the title before the Taken King. So over 445K.

Now there is one person who gets the NPD data with the physical volume sold that posts some interesting things from time to time at Ngaf.

For this month. Again, physical sales to the customer, not digital.

2k16 > 1.1M
    live16 ~ 8.3K
    Now to break this down.

Gamestop has 6,500 stores
    Walmart has 5,000 stores

So even by eliminating every other store that sells video games on the planet. That is less than 1 copy per store. Pack that shit up and make a college game. 2K has the NBA covered.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 10-20-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Hard to say since NPD does not allow for that information to be posted. Unless it is from the publisher of the game. Also as digital grows the NPD numbers get less accurate as they do not account for digital sales in their figure. Nintendo says Mario Maker sold 445K and was the title before the Taken King. So over 445K.

Now there is one person who gets the NPD data with the physical volume sold that posts some interesting things from time to time at Ngaf.

For this month. Again, physical sales to the customer, not digital.

Now to break this down.

Gamestop has 6,500 stores
    Walmart has 5,000 stores

So even by eliminating every other store that sells video games on the planet. That is less than 1 copy per store. Pack that shit up and make a college game. 2K has the NBA covered.
    Wow if live really only sold 8,300 copies of the game that is a HUGE loss of $ for EA and I cannot imagine the series surviving much longer.

Sad that Until Dawn didn't stay in the Top 10 b/c its a solid game (particularly if you like the Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls - "pick your story" genre).

I don't get the hate for NBA Live. Yeah, it was a rough couple years, but I'm really enjoying Live 16, especially now that they added sliders back in and I can fine tune the CPU. People need to just pull their heads out of the asses, stop the fanboy bullshit and just give shit a try. This whole fanboy shit, regardless of consoles or games, is fucking destroying gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I don't get the hate for NBA Live. Yeah, it was a rough couple years, but I'm really enjoying Live 16, especially now that they added sliders back in and I can fine tune the CPU. People need to just pull their heads out of the asses, stop the fanboy bullshit and just give shit a try. This whole fanboy shit, regardless of consoles or games, is fucking destroying gaming.
    Do you honestly think its as good as or better than 2K?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Could it be that some people only want (or afford) one basketball game? If you look at the soccer sales figures posted a few posts up, you will notice a similar trend.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Do you honestly think its as good as or better than 2K?
    As a whole, maybe not. In some areas, yes. I have had stuff that I hate about 2K for years that they clearly couldn't care less about fixing. They'd rather piss away time and money on retarded shit like Spike Lee.

Before this month, I was going to get both NBA Live and 2K. That decision would have been even easier after getting Live for free through the giveaway on here. But now? I couldn't care less about getting 2K this year. I'm having a bunch of fun with Live. But, try getting the 2K fanboys with 2K's cock shoved all the way down their throats to give NBA Live a fair chance. Hell, even without playing it, all you have to do is look at the dumbfuck comments some of them make with literally ZERO hands on experience with Live.

Could it be that some people only want (or afford) one basketball game? If you look at the soccer sales figures posted a few posts up, you will notice a similar trend.
    Oh, I'm sure that does affect things. But if you or anyone else try to claim that NBA Live got anything remotely to a fair shake compared to 2K both online and in stores, you're full of shit. When you can't even go into a GameStop without them constantly trying to pimp 2K on you and never even mention Live or try to dissuade you from Live, yeah, of course 2K will sell so much better.

OS had a poll asking what people thought of Live. Well over 1000 people gave it the worst score of bad. Clearly not that many people even bought the game. It was pure fan boy hate.

Yep. And it's sad. People will see that and ignore Live and get 2K who has game breaking server issues yet they always get a pass.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

It doesn't help that there wasn't any marketing that I saw. This is the title to spend that money on.

The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    It doesn't help that there wasn't any marketing that I saw. This is the title to spend that money on.

Right. Instead of making a "Madden movie" for a game that sells with no marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Right. Instead of making a "Madden movie" for a game that sells with no marketing.
    Just ANYTHING. Commercials, print ads, where yourself out on SportsCenter incorporating the game. Let people know what they loved with Live 10 is back and is even better.

The dude abides.

Yes, a commercial with James Franco the Actor and James Franco the Experimental Artist playing against each other while driving in a Scion. Dave Franco and Rex Ryan are in the back seat discussing the game and rubbing each others feet.

and then all of a sudden...

Spoiler: show

Live can't compete with 2K at the same price point. I expect big discounts to help.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Wow if live really only sold 8,300 copies of the game that is a HUGE loss of $ for EA and I cannot imagine the series surviving much longer.
    I doubt it's a massive number, but I don't believe that includes digital copies and it also ignores money coming in from Ultimate Team. They may not be struggling as much as this 8,300 number would indicate.

Keep in mind, the game came out September 29....so the 8,300 is two days of sales, isn't it? Even as a fan, Live isn't a game where the masses buy it at midnight. It's one people steadily pick up throughout the season, taking advantage of disposable income, sales, etc.

I noticed that as well, but maybe he is on vacation? This is about the only time of year that could happen for Live devs/execs. I know one of the top gameplay devs is/was on vacation this past week.

Last week on Twitter I saw a LIVE dev talking about creative meetings and planning for LIVE 17. I understand the poor numbers, but I don't think the franchise is ending this year.

The lack of sales have to be disappointing, but in some regards not having an NBA game would be worse for EA or at least their brand portfolio. No college football game, no NASCAR game, no MLB game...it might be worse to have no NBA game vs. a low-selling one.

Yeah, PES has more to worry about than Live IMO.

PES released a week before FIFA and still got absolutely demolished.

I don't know, but maybe PES is doing well based on sales internationally? Given the company's issues, perhaps they don't need a large market share to be successful. Though, I can't imagine licensing leagues is cheap.

Perhaps LIVE needs to focus on the international game and leagues more to help with sales. Though, on social media today every Tom, Dick, & Harry had their ideas that would make Live defeat 2K...if only EA would listen to them! I'll try to stay away from doing the same.

EA knows what to do and I think they have a good plan for Live...they just need more time to implement it all. Though, who knows if they will get the time. It sure doesn't seem like the basketball community at-large has the desire to support them in the process. 2K has a pretty good head start, namely due to self-inflicted EA wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I don't know, but maybe PES is doing well based on sales internationally? Given the company's issues, perhaps they don't need a large market share to be successful. Though, I can't imagine licensing leagues is cheap.

PES sells a ton in Japan (they are the only one with J_League) and Europe. FIFA still outsells it in Europe but they do enough to keep the franchise rolling on each year.

Honestly, so many people will have bought 2k16 that I'm serious when people will give live a good chance next year. Just have to keep improving. I gave 2k baseball a chance after years of the Show. Their last game was pretty good and had some nice advantages over the Show. They just had too many problems and an overall lack of Polish that really hurt. They also struggled to overcome previous based experiences with the game that kept people away.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Yeah, PES has more to worry about than Live IMO.

PES released a week before FIFA and still got absolutely demolished.
    PES was received critically better than FIFA:

PES 88 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...on-soccer-2016

FIFA 82 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/fifa-16

Now 2K v. Live

2K 87 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nba-2k16

Live 59 - http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...-4/nba-live-16

Live is in much bigger trouble that PES.