Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA LIVE 16 - General Impressions & Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Maybe this was there earlier (first time firing up game in a few days due to work), but users have been given an RP bonus equivalent to whatever they spent during the demo period.

My biggest pet peeve is I don't see the CPU taking enough mid range jumpers. A lot of other things can be fixed with sliders. I like the commentary although the player specific commentary is repetitive as you hear the same lines every game you play with someone. I'm sure I will hear his lines about SVG every time I play with Detroit.

One of the weaknesses of Live 10 was no fast break. Definitely not true in Live 16. The cpu will punish you if you crash hard and transition points are good. Points in the paint are still high but I think some slider tweaks are helping.

I find it odd that I had more trophies after a week with Live 16 than I do with Madden after playing a lot more. Not that I care a lot but the trophies are not set up for offline guys.

This was the lowest scoring game with the lowest shooting percentages in any game I've played in Live yet. Might have been a bit fluky but it was nice to see. I've done quite a few changes to reduce the points in the paint and help the paint defence. Some key things - increase shot block to 100, lower both jostle sliders to 0 to make it difficult to penetrate and raise the shot contest slider to 70. Raising the shot contest slider seems to make the cpu want to drive less. It also seems to me that the slider seems to affect the "red" guarded defence and not really the yellow guarded shots as much. I'm not sure. I saw some closely guarded shot percentages around 9 and 10% but the yellow ones outside didn't seem to be as affected by much. Overall the sliders seem to work but aren't overly strong and are only 10 point increments. Of course lowering the shooting sliders (particularly layup and post) also helps. This is on All-Star.

Some screenshots from my last game - it was nice to get off my Pistons losing streak. This is on 7 minute quarters. I had probably 8 free throws at the end of the game as the Bulls were intentionally fouling. Probably the highest free throwing shooting game I've seen though. Bulls points in the paint was high but they did take some mid range jumpers. I still want to see more catch and shoots off of screens and some step back jumpers but this was nice to see.

Just cpu Bulls.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-11-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Really pulling for this game. I'm not purchasing this year as my gaming plate is full and my $$$ is low. However, competition is key to improvements in sports gaming so I want them to do well for the good of the sport.

Enjoying your impressions guys. I sure would love to see college ball come back under this engine.

I was playing an exhibition game yesterday and my son wanted to play with me. So I paused to look for the controller select but as soon as he turned on his controller the game dropped. Sent me back to the menu. It was odd it would do that and that you couldn't jump in. Also, it would be nice for in game saves like Madden. These nba games do take awhile. Not sure if they exist in franchise or not.

That's weird that the game dropped when the second controller was added, Rudy. Did it crash or did the game auto-boot you back to the main menu?

I like seeing your slider suggestions. I have yet to play with or edit mine, but I think I will be relatively soon.

The game just booted me back to the main menu saying something like I'm no longer the controller in charge or something.

I think the shot contest might be a bit high. I'm pretty happy right now on all Star although I probably contend a little too easy with Detroit . Haven't really tried much on superstar but I heard it's too hard. Took golden state this morning and was beating Houston pretty good in the first half before quitting for work.

Can we edit nothing on the rosters? I'd like to at least add the high socks Tolliver uses. Also, what are my XP green points for? I think I have over 20,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The game just booted me back to the main menu saying something like I'm no longer the controller in charge or something.

I think the shot contest might be a bit high. I'm pretty happy right now on all Star although I probably contend a little too easy with Detroit . Haven't really tried much on superstar but I heard it's too hard. Took golden state this morning and was beating Houston pretty good in the first half before quitting for work.

Can we edit nothing on the rosters? I'd like to at least add the high socks Tolliver uses. Also, what are my XP green points for? I think I have over 20,000.
    No editing of rosters.

The green XP are your Reward Points that let you buy gear for your created player.

New patch is out. Hopefully we get the notes soon. Still downloading at 1.25 GB.

I've been messing with superstar and you have to work your butt off to compete. Shots don't fall often for me but the CPU knocks most of their shots down. It's a bigger jump than I thought from all Star. I would guess I'm 10 to 15% points better than the CPU with even teams. It's probably worse the other way on superstar. Will give it a couple more games with tweaks. I like that I have to work but it may be too much.

The big knock last year - and even at the early community events for 16 - was that Superstar difficulty was too easy. It does seem as if they eliminated that complaint.

I did find that at the end of a close game the CPU will press me. If I beat that press with my point guard I can simply turbo right down the floor and dunk it. Defensive help does not rotate as they stay glued to their man on the wings.

I did find that at the end of a close game the CPU will press me. If I beat that press with my point guard I can simply turbo right down the floor and dunk it. Defensive help does not rotate as they stay glued to their man on the wings.
    They did that last year too, probably better executed this year though.
    The dude abides.

I was messing around with my created combo SG this morning and that was fun. Just played against the cpu. I like the teammate grade system. I will have to try and hook up with some of you guys for a Live Pro Am matchup.

I know this title is taking a lot of heat compared to NBA 2K16 (and I haven't played 2K since 2K13) but I'm having fun with it. Live 10 was the previous pinnacle but this game is better. Live 10 had no fast breaks, this game has a transition game. Live 10 cpu teams did not play much different. They were very PG heavy and only a couple players seemed to get the vast majority of touches. I remember Omar Asik on Houston being a go to guy for the cpu for some reason in '10. Live 16 spreads the ball around pretty well with the best players getting more touches. It could still be better as stretch 4s play with their back to the basket too much. The post game doesn't seem to have any options, much like Live 10, but overall it's a solid title. The game is definitely a free wheeling, offensive game on default that tends to lead to a lot of driving to the basket and too many points in the paint. With sliders you can fix this to reasonable levels although the cpu always gets more than 50% of its points in the paint and often much more (should be around 40%).

I do think the devs have shot themselves in the foot the last two years with no sliders until now and still no roster editing. I think they could interact with the forums more post-patch as well. They've left some game changers like WTF on OS out on an island defending the game.

I really have to start diving into this. The first day I got this in the mail, I created a player and went through the draft, but that was as far as I could get before having to go to work that day. Since then I've been going gung ho on my FIFA Be A GK career and completely neglecting NBA Live. I'll have to make sure I specifically jump on it this weekend, sink my teeth into more.

Like JB said, this is the way it has been the last few years, unfortunately.

This year the double team can/is more effective, but if you avoid it you will generally get an easy shot at the basket.

LIVE 17 is really going to have to focus on defensive AI and strategy options in-general (more of them, easier to access & use).

Defensive help AI needs the biggest boost imo. Need that BAD boy defence a lot more. I'd love to have a setting for hard fouls on layups and dunks. It's not a game killer imo but it is certainly a weakness.

Agree completely, Rudy.

Having the defense come over to help contest at the rim would make users think twice before doing so. Long-term, injuries would also help in this regard. If a user loses a star player as they attempt an ill-advised drive to the basket, they again might think twice.

Ate there no injuries in the game? I haven't seen any in exhibition but what about franchise? I know Live 10 never had any while playing but did have some while swimming.