Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jaymo76's Community Review of Madden NFL 16

• Facebook
  • Display

jaymo76's Community Review of Madden NFL 16

My TEN HOURS of EA ACCESS for Madden 16 has now officially expired. First off, a huge “thank you” goes out to MICROSOFT for offering EA ACCESS. Though I would prefer more time for the programme (15-20 hours would be perfect) ten hours has given me enough information to make an informed decision on whether or not to purchase this title. Shame on Sony for not allowing its customers access to such a quality programme!

I. Initial Thoughts:
    There are a lot of great aspects to the game this year, mainly gameplay related. There are also some very noticeable warts, some of which are legacy based and some all new issues with the game. At the end of the day, Madden is still Madden. At its heart the game is fundamentally the same as previous versions. If you can accept that, this game is for you. If you cannot then move along as the things that have always bothered you about this title will continue to bother you this year.

People who purchase this game should find large amounts of enjoyment, especially people new to the series and people who have taken a few years off. Returning Madden players who are gameplay first will find this a decent title. Franchise mode people and more specifically, people who love customization will be disappointed. Outside of scouting and combine stats nothing has been done to improve the mode. As a matter of fact, it has actually been dumbed down to appeal more to casual fans.

II. Gameplay:
    As to the biggest feature…. WR/DB interaction. Well, it has added a lot to the game. That being said, all the button pushing is cumbersome and from what I have seen through testing, completely unnecessary. You will be perfectly successful passing the ball like you did last year. I’m not really convinced that using the passing icons is necessary or purposeful. However, the DB’s and receivers finally interact in a way that is appropriate and realistic. However, the Tiburon teams seems to have gutted the OL/DL interaction to the point that there is very, very little pressure. This combined with incredibly weak zone defense allows for a lot of robo-QB tendencies. Sliders should be able to address this situation. Speaking of sliders I strongly suggest turning down interceptions to 30 as the default 50 produces on average between 3 and 7 interceptions per game.

The cpu run game is pretty brutal this year and the user run game is focused on runs up the gut as the vast majority of outside runs are blown up in the backfield. Don’t be surprised to see the cpu running back average less than two yards per carry on default all pro. Significant attention to the sliders will be necessary to address the run game issues.

As for penalties, they work incredibly well. When I maxed out penalty sliders in a 6 minute quarter play now game, the cpu and I combined for 30 penalties or the equivalent of over 300 negated yards. There is an encroachment glitch and hopefully that will be patched soon.

Auto subs don’t seem to work particularly well again and injuries are few and far in between. I did not play around with these settings so I don’t know if they can be improved upon. Injury slider worked well last year but auto-subs did nothing. I suspect that is the case again with Madden 16.

I find the speed of the game to be a little too fast this year. However, changing the game speed to SLOW has made a huge difference to the overall gameplay experience. I would highly recommend changing the default speed to slow. I did not change the speed threshold this year as frankly the game doesn’t seem to need me to. 50 for threshold feels just right in my opinion.

I’m cognizant of the fact that much of the above sounds negative. Please keep in mind though that the game this year really is a lot of fun to play, regardless of the issues. At the end of the day that is most important right…?

III. Visuals:
    As is the norm for Madden, visuals and player models are excellent. The stadiums pop, especially night games. Domes are a little dull but still look good. Sadly users still do not have the option to open retractable roofs. Sidelines still have a long way to go to live up to the “living worlds” mantra but they are moving in the right direction. I know EA/Tiburon hyped a more diverse crowd but in all honesty I have not noticed it. The only thing I really want to see in this particular area would be a chain gang and the sidelines fully engaged in watching the on-field action.

A number of the players have received face scans this year and I must say they look great! Sadly though, the players who have not been scanned look awkward and out of place as compared to those who have been scanned.

Teams who are relocated have the same uniforms and stadium options as in previous years. The uniforms are of the same visual quality as regular NFL uniforms. The same can be said for the generic stadiums. However, relocated teams and new stadiums will NOT be given a “chrome fly-in” segment during the pre-game show.

The menus have also been redone and have been reorganized and simplified to appeal more to the causal gamer. One great aspect to the new screen organization is the depth chart card deck. This visually pleasing roster chart is informative and easy to use.

IV. Franchise Mode (CFM):
    The biggest disappointment this year comes from lack of innovation in the single player franchise experience. Lack of separate special team sliders, no formation subs, no custom packages, no score ticker, no game updates, no weekly wrap-up show, horrendous commentary by Phil Simms, no practice roster, no restricted free agency, no chain gang, no changing the cpu uniform, no option to continue a previous edition of franchise (from madden 15), no coaching carousel, no coordinators, no playable Pro Bowl, no cpu vs cpu observer mode, limited information/activity in free agency, an untouched and very lackluster owner mode, significantly overrated free agency pool, and a general feeling of isolation in CFM contributes to Madden 16 continuing to have the least compelling career mode out of all the major sports titles. Madden’s franchise experience as compared to 2k16, the Show 15, NHL 16, and FIFA 16 is downright embarrassing. Tiburon needs to look at NCAA 14’s innovation and incorporate those types of elements into their game next year. Imagine playing Madden in week 17 and watching the scores scroll across the bottom and then watching a studio update that team X just lost and if you win this game the playoff spot is yours. That is the type of stuff NFL football gamers have been waiting for since 2004!

With regards to player goals, the concept is an interesting one but overall I consider it to be a failure. The pop-ups are large and intrusive and most notable, they greatly detract from the immersion factor. They are also very silly. No coach would say that player X needs two sacks this drive in order to gain confidence. The goals ruin the experience. You can turn them off but by doing so you also turn off all the other information pop-ups such as drive summaries. Currently there is a bug that see’s player’s regress if their goals are not met. This will need to be patched ASAP.

The one thing that CFM definitely does right is the simplified scouting. With the addition of combine stats and a player watch list, drafting has become far less cumbersome and much, much more enjoyable. I feel like I actually have the ability to choose a logical pick. I would still like a few more points each week but 175 is a good start. In my opinion 200 would be ideal. The three unlock categories increase by 5 (5, 10, 15) so you get a decent cross section of payers in each draft.

IV. Final Thoughts:
    So ultimately, is Madden 16 worth the purchase price? In all honesty I don’t know the answer to that question. Is it a better game than 15? Yes! Is the gameplay significantly improved over 15? Yes! Is the singly player career mode a significant improvement over 15? NO! Is the presentation significantly improved over 15? NO!

If you are looking for extreme depth, user customization and immersion this probably isn’t the game for you. I suggest NBA 2K16 is what you want. If you want a game which is light on simulation and depth but big on gameplay and fun then this is your game.

Verdict: 3.75 out of 5 ( a solid yet predictable title)
    Jaymo76
    Last edited by jaymo76; 08-23-2015 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks, jaymo. I appreciate you talking the time to give some impressions.

For me, haven't played Madden since 12 so I think I'm thinking I'm going to pass again. The ST sliders and lack of formation subs are the same issues that killed the experience for me back then. If I can get a copy on the cheap later, maybe I'll consider that.

My question for you, jaymo, is 'are you going to buy it'?

Great review, jaymo. We were bad boys this year and did not get a visit from Madden Claus, so I/we doubly appreciate your effort, opinions, and review.

I also moved this to its own thread since it is so in-depth and worthy of it's own discussion, rather than be buried by media reviews (who likely didn't go as in-depth as you).

If you don't mind, I'll be sharing it on social sites and push to the front page tomorrow.
    Last edited by cdj; 08-23-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    That's the part I kept the waiting to get to.

Great review, but what's the verdict for his own decision to purchase or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Great review, jaymo. We were bad boys this year and did not get a visit from Madden Claus, so I/we doubly appreciate your effort, opinions, and review.

I also moved this to its own thread since it is so in-depth and worthy of it's own discussion, rather than be buried by media reviews (who likely didn't go as in-depth as you).

If you don't mind, I'll be sharing it on social sites and push to the front page tomorrow.
    No worries CDJ. I look forward to hearing what others think after having a chance to play the game.

Thanks, jaymo. I appreciate you talking the time to give some impressions.

For me, haven't played Madden since 12 so I think I'm thinking I'm going to pass again. The ST sliders and lack of formation subs are the same issues that killed the experience for me back then. If I can get a copy on the cheap later, maybe I'll consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    That's the part I kept the waiting to get to.

Great review, but what's the verdict for his own decision to purchase or not.
    That's the million dollar question. Partly I didn't want to bias the review and partly I am still not sure. If you ask my wife, she believes I have already bought it... which I haven't. I am conflicted. The game is a lot of fun but so many of the CFM things I wanted remain untouched again. The one thing that is just inexcusable to me is lack of formation subs. Plus, I have enjoyed my Madden 15 dynasty and if I get 16 that dynasty will be over as there is no going back. Gameplay this year is really fun. However, the game is so dull and lifeless during CFM. First and foremost I am a single player franchise person so I feel very conflicted. I want to buy the game but I also want to hold out for a robust CFM mode.

My heart says "yes" but out of spite I want to say "no." I have 24 hours to decide.

Great review! I bought it through Amazon. My major question is do I upgrade the shipping from free to get it faster lol. Amazon shipping vs best buy shipping is brutal in Canada. BB is Way better. I get it same day with free shipping sometimes. I may not get madden until next week with Amazon.

Picking up my copy tomorrow on lunch

Great review. Amazon will be delivering mine tomorrow.

Good stuff Jaymo.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    My heart says "yes" but out of spite I want to say "no." I have 24 hours to decide.
    You don't NEED to get it release day. You can always wait for the Christmas sales ooooooor wait until it's in the EA Access vault.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    but big on gameplay and fun then this is your game.
    This for me

Just watched PP's review of the game. Noticed he mentioned Special Teams, notably the XP PAT kicks.

Unsure how you make something that a user controlled player is in control of difficult. Short of neutering the kick power, or blindfolding the kicker how can this be made difficult? Pretty sure regardless of what is done I'd be 100% from whatever spot inside of 50 yards I would be put at.

Not having a meter at all and make the kick game resemble that of the golf swing on The Golf Club would be my only idea.

Or short of making it the kick meter from Madden 11...oh no one liked that meter at all . Most of that was due to the lag, though it still was tricky at first. Nothing a few games played couldn't fix and have you 100% on them. Only thing I could see is the occasionally blocked FG but surely hoping for a block rather than a miss is backwards. Since we are all about percentages, how many get blocked vs missed from that range?

Interesting that the game comes out tomorrow and apparently the review embargo has not been lifted at the major websites. This typically indicates that the publisher (EA) is not confident in how the game will be received.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Interesting that the game comes out tomorrow and apparently the review embargo has not been lifted at the major websites. This typically indicates that the publisher (EA) is not confident in how the game will be received.
    Thank you for the clarification as to who the publisher is.

Thank you for the clarification as to who the publisher is.

Well the first review I saw was by Polygon who gave it a 90.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Well the first review I saw was by Polygon who gave it a 90.
    Just read the review. It seems as though Owen Good only talked about gameplay in awarding a 90. Gameplay is the strength of the game. However, had he talked about CFM I suspect his revew would put the score down to 75. Gameplay is strong but it's the CFM that is lacking.

Update: still haven't purchased. If not for the CFM issues I would have already but it seems like everyday more bugs are reported.

I won't start a franchise until I am used to the game and all the bugs are worked out.

Am I the only one that finds inside runs too consistently easy?

Not when playing online. I've had many 3rd down inside runs blown up because of a blitzing lb.