Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR - Review Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR - Review Thread

Rich and Pastapadre video review.

My review:

The game gets a solid 7 from me, with the chance to grow with post-launch support, and the possibility that this could be an evergreen title that EA constantly adds to for a few years. While none of that is for certain, it is definitely worth speculation due to the lack of a number in the title; where all other EA SPORTS titles have one.

First I'll start off with the bad. It is lacking something new for being the first title of the current gen. It's missing something to wow us like an online career mode or even online leagues. It is also missing features that were great in the last iteration of Tiger such as Country Clubs. The lack of a punch to start us off on the PS4/XB1 is what really kills the score.

The lack of courses I can go either way on. I fully understand the fact that these courses were completely built from scratch with the Frostbite engine; which in the long run was a GREAT thing. There are only 8 licensed courses to start, with the 9th coming for free in September. Hopefully they have a DLC model that will make the long-time fans of this game happy. Giving the first course free is a great start.

The last bit of negative is the fact that the player creation is very bare bones. While there is room for this to be patched and be better, what we have right now is not great at all. It would have been great to see them use the same tech that the NBA Live team is using for their face scans.

Now on to the good. This game is BEAUTIFUL. There is a fictitious, but realistic course new to the game called Lighthouse Pointe that is extremely beautiful to enjoy a round of golf on. The graphics are phenomenal, and so is the atmosphere surrounding the golf course. This is a notable step-up from the past.

The fictitious courses are we welcome addition to the game as they are beautifully designed. I talked about Lighthouse Pointe previously, and there is also the Wetlands that is set up almost like your municipal course back home. Then there are the fantasy courses such as Coyote Falls that is carved into the Grand Canyon, and Paracel Storm that is taken from Battlefield 4. As far as fantasy courses go, these offer a lot of fun, and since Paracel Storm is 18 holes of all par 3's, you can work on getting those aces.

The gameplay is not completely different from the past, but amateur mode has a new wrinkle where the putt preview is gone and the putt read line is in its place. This makes you actually have to execute a little better and the amateur mode is not a gimme in online play. Offline play though there is a blue line that actually guides you and teaches you were the ball will land taking wind and elevation into effect.

The swing mechanic in the Tour mode is great as your swing has mechanics and feedback that are affected based on your back and down swing. I have really enjoyed playing Tour mode a lot, but there is also a returning shot mechanic in the 3-click swing. That is the old school way to play EA SPORTS golf, and it was a challenge jumping back into that swing mechanic.

Going back and forth between the three difficulties will add a lot of variety to the game, but also you can create a custom set of rules to mix a balance between Amateur and Tour.

Night Club Challenge is the new feature in the game where it's basically an arcade mode with a ton of challenges to try to complete. I like this addition to the game as it teaches new users how to get started; while offering a great challenge to try to get three stars on each challenge. I created a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR8d7YJfUWE on how to 3-star the first 18 challenges.

Finally, while career mode is basically untouched, the career progression system is a great addition to the game for your created pro. Based on your performance in the round, some of your attributes will automatically increase, and the game will show that to you at the end of each round, but you can also select "personality types" such as power, up and down, precise, and etc. to mold your golfer. Each type will affect ratings for the good and the bad, and eventually you'll have four types you can select with about 24 to choose from.

Overall, Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR is a great base with a lot of room to grow. There is a lot missing from the retail product today, but hopefully we will see some growth with this product in the months after.
    The dude abides.

Great review JB! I hope for all the things you do and will check in on the game from time to time to see if and how it is supported and expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    Great review JB! I hope for all the things you do and will check in on the game from time to time to see if and how it is supported and expanded.
    Thanks a lot man!
    The dude abides.

I don't remember where I saw it (I know it was on a YouTube video) but recently it was hinted by the EA NHL team that the "evergreen" model is the next big change coming to sports titles.

Wouldn't surprise me if roster updates and annual game play tuning become DLC that is charged for and a new "full version" of each title only comes out every 2-3 years.

That is the mobile gaming operating procedure it appears. I know not the best of examples but the way SuperCell does with Clash of Clans. Left/leaves room to make additions/updates to keep the game fresh.

It would appear some studios already caught wind of that model and capitalize on that being their driving force.

WHOHOO! Game installing on XBOX1 external HD as we speak.

TPC Scottsdale is qued and ready to install.

Should be on the links momentarily.

Played the 1st rd of the web.com, shot -2 on Tour Mode with my created golfer. Also messed around with the night club, very cool mode.

The graphics look great, I'm loving the game so far!

STRUGGLING TO MAKE PAR

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...ga-tour-review

Those of you betting on a yet to be seen "future support" are completely misguided. You have to review the game as it is on launch with 8/9 courses and 12 golfers. To charge $60 for that after taking 2 years off is insane. Bargain basement or a weekend rental at best unless/until EA updates it with a real/complete golf came. I'll stick with Golf Club.

What bothers me most is that the majority of the issues with the game are things that are left out. So many tiny things add up to what has turned into NHL 15 part duex. The thing is we need to lay the blame where it belongs. Which brings me to Peter Moore. Peter was agitated when when his company was back to back "Worst company in America." He even wrote a blog about it.

WE CAN DO BETTER

http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

Would the release of NHL 15 and Rory 15 be consider doing better? The buck stops at Peter and the big reason these two games came out so bare bones is you limited the bucks to develop these games.

Ironically after commenting about how they listed to the customer feedback, there is the following quote.

I expect the debate will include a lot of comments under this post.
    Notes that there are no comments under the post or the option to comment on it.

Sorry Peter,

WE DESERVE BETTER.

While I agree it appears to be another crappy, feature-less release, you don't "deserve" anything. No one forces you to plop down $60 for crappy games year after year so "deserve" (in all caps, no less) is ridiculous.

I'd say the ones who deserve better are the developers who are under-resourced for these projects and then have to deal with the massive public rage that comes with it. I have no doubt that the developers do the best that they can with what they have to work with but they aren't equipped properly from the beginning.

Do as you please, I'll continue to speak with my dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    STRUGGLING TO MAKE PAR

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...ga-tour-review

Those of you betting on a yet to be seen "future support" are completely misguided. You have to review the game as it is on launch with 8/9 courses and 12 golfers. To charge $60 for that after taking 2 years off is insane. Bargain basement or a weekend rental at best unless/until EA updates it with a real/complete golf came. I'll stick with Golf Club.
    Make no mistake, where this company is concerned, proof of freebies, expansions, DLC and yes patches to support the game will have to be shown before I purchase this.....

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    Make no mistake, where this company is concerned, proof of freebies, expansions, DLC and yes patches to support the game will have to be shown before I purchase this.....
    Yep - IF I were a betting man this game is not going to sell well (even worse than before) so the EA suits will decide to not provide any support and probably drop the series unless/until golf becomes more popular or VR makes a leap that makes a golf game feel like playing a legit round of golf.

In the defense of the possibility that EA will support this title, they patched entire game modes and extras into NHL 15 so it is not a given that this game will not receive adequate support.

SUCKS!

Call me naive, I've been waiting for this game since the last Tiger Woods Golf game. I just wanted a golf game on Next Gen. I have TGC, it's a good game but I also enjoy this one. I liken it to a race game, there are multiple race games, each one is slightly different, not better or worse. It just seems like people come on here and say SUCKS!

GAME SUCKS!

I mean what are you wanting? It seems like IF they came out w/ the perfect game (whatever that is) people would still say SUCKS!

Madden hasn't changed that much, it's a freaking football game, football hasn't really changed since I was a kid, they still play offense, defense, special teams, they run and pass the ball...what earth shattering advancements are you looking for?

This is a golf game, what are you looking for? SUCKS!

GAME SUCKS!

Personally, I like that we have a golf game. I like how it looks. It plays great. I play on Tour mode, I don't give a flying f*ck about all that boost video game golf crap. So I don't see what the game is missing. SUCKS!

GAME SUCKS!

It has great graphics, swing mechanics seem very good, offers, full, choke, punch, flop, pitch, & chip shots. It does have club manufactures, clothing, courses (I guess the complain is it SUCKS!) It has courses, but doesn't have all 130 billion that it should, GAME SUCKS!

I like that you can draw and fade the ball, you can hit high & low draw shots, high & low fades...GAME SUCKS!

I haven't tried chipping with my hybrid or putting from the fringe (i.e. Texas wedge) but it seems good. GAME SUCKS!

I read and hear people give reviews that the ball physics SUCK! They say the ball just drops straight into the hole each time and in real life it doesn't do that. GAME SUCKS!

I think they must not have bought the same edition I did. When I'm playing I've lipped putts, had them break in the side door, they don't just go straight in, maybe my game is "broken"?

GAME SUCKS!

I guess I'd like to know what the perfect game is, I need to know so I can go out and buy it. This game obviously isn't it b/c it SUCKS!

End rant.

That was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    In the defense of the possibility that EA will support this title, they patched entire game modes and extras into NHL 15 so it is not a given that this game will not receive adequate support.
    Hope that is the case here as well. I only have what happened with TW14 to go on soo I too will vote with my dollars and not expect much.....hopefully have a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Do as you please, I'll continue to speak with my dollar.
    I did the same by not purchasing it but unlike yourself I am a golf fan with limited options. The consumer deserves better than half a game for full price. I placed the blame squarely on Peter Moore, who last I checked was not one of the developers working on the game. If you want to get in a pissing match, PM me. We have been down this road before.

gigemaggs99

Glad you are happy with the game. Not looking for perfection, just something above average.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 07-14-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I did the same by not purchasing it but unlike yourself I am a golf fan with limited options. The consumer deserves better than half a game for full price. I placed the blame squarely on Peter Moore, who last I checked was not one of the developers working on the game. If you want to get in a pissing match, PM me. We have been down this road before.

gigemaggs99

Glad you are happy with the game. Not looking for perfection, just something above average.
    You must be the most incendiary person on earth. Every comment that contrasts any portion of what you say is not a call to arms. Relax.

You act as though I have never owned an EA golf game in my life. I'll have you know I've probably had 3-5 of them. Besides, that has nothing to do with the point and I never said you put the blame on the developers or that Peter Moore is a developer.

I said that your narcissistic sense of entitlement is misguided - which it is. Being a fan of a sport and having limited options for video game versions of that sport do not entitle you to anything.