Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 World Football Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Very happy to see Houston selected. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the scheduling and tickets to see if I can get out for at least one match.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015...ica-centenario

Goddamn that is a sexy sight.

We're about to find out just how good Leicester is as 7 of their next 11 are against the traditional Top 6, starting Sunday with United.

The thing is, even if Leicester struggle against those clubs Leicester can stay in the Top 4 if they keep beating the lesser clubs. Should be interesting.

I'm not sure they can keep scoring at the pace they have been but regardless they HAVE to have Vardy and Mahrez stay healthy to compete for a top 4 position. That, and hope ownership doesn't sell them in January (I doubt they will unless they fall apart in the next 6 weeks) because a club like Leicester just doesn't have the depth to replace those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    We're about to find out just how good Leicester is as 7 of their next 11 are against the traditional Top 6, starting Sunday with United.

The thing is, even if Leicester struggle against those clubs Leicester can stay in the Top 4 if they keep beating the lesser clubs. Should be interesting.

I'm not sure they can keep scoring at the pace they have been but regardless they HAVE to have Vardy and Mahrez stay healthy to compete for a top 4 position. That, and hope ownership doesn't sell them in January (I doubt they will unless they fall apart in the next 6 weeks) because a club like Leicester just doesn't have the depth to replace those guys.
    Yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see how well they hang with the usual top dogs. I'm not naive enough to think they'll win the majority of those matches, but hopefully they can hang tough and steal some points here and there, maybe even surprise a couple and pull out a win.

And I agree. They are SCREWED of they lose Vardy or Mahrez to either injury or transfer. Those two carry the club. They could probably overcome a decrease in scoring, just would lose some more matches that they otherwise haven't until now. But to outright lose those two? Hell, I could see them falling like a rock and flirting with demotion again like last year.

The MLS continues to set attendance and TV records (for the league) and today announced plans to expand to 28 clubs (which ups the planned number of 24 by 2020).

Good to see.

Well, Chelsea may be an unmitigated disaster domestically but at least they were able to win their group in the Champions League today.

ESPN Chelsea: Chelsea sack manager Jose Mourinho after 9th loss of season, multiple reports.

Sad that it has come to this but it was inevitable with the inexcusably disastrous season that Chelsea are having.

Manchester United are minutes away from losing for the 4th consecutive time across all competitions. They haven't done that since 1961.

So, at least there's that.

Good to see Chelsea back in form under Guus Hiddink. A dominant 3-0 result over the Eagles at Selhurst Park against a Crystal Palace side who had only conceded one goal in their last 4 matches.

The only thing that can stop Leicester at this point is a rash of injuries. Remarkable!

I'm guessing this may become a more common occurrence. With the massive amount of TV money that is flowing to all BPL clubs, you're going to see clubs other than the "Big 6" winning the league. It's great for the league, even if it's bad for England's chances in the UCL (and bad for clubs like Chelsea).

The only thing that can stop Leicester at this point is a rash of injuries. Remarkable!

I'm guessing this may become a more common occurrence. With the massive amount of TV money that is flowing to all BPL clubs, you're going to see clubs other than the "Big 6" winning the league. It's great for the league, even if it's bad for England's chances in the UCL (and bad for clubs like Chelsea).
    I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that come early February, Leicester would be 15-8-2! Only two losses at this point, the last coming back in December. Absolutely nuts! Thank god, the team did the right thing and signed Vardy through 2019.

Still seems unbelievable. They just get promoted back up for the first time in 10 years, finish 14th last year, 6 points shy of relegation. And now this year, so far they have the most wins, they have only two losses, and sit 5 points clear of the Spurs at the top of the table.

And based on their remaining schedule, there really is a true chance they can win the title. They finish the year with Arsenal, Norwich, West Brom, Watford, New Castle, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham, Swansea, Man United, Everton and Chelsea.

If they can get through that with two losses or less, they can definitely win the title. Even three losses wouldn't necessarily eliminate them from the title, depending on what the Spurs and City do.

Chelsea should have taken the full 3 points against United today as they were the better side. That said, the late equalizer by Costa seals 10 straight without a loss to United so I'll take it.

Son of a bitch...

Hopefully Leicester make a quick turn around from today.

No matter the circumstances, it's good to send City crashing out of the FA Cup.

Chelsea thoroughly dismantled our B team today. We had 6 teenage starters and most were making their debuts. Manager was more concerned with Kiev match and the Champions League.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-21-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Chelsea thoroughly dismantled our B team today. We had 6 teenage starters and most were making their debuts. Manager was more concerned with Kiev match and the Champions League.
    Uh, yeah. Which is why I said, "no matter the circumstances".

I was surprised Kelechi Iheanacho didn't have a better game. He's a star waiting to happen, I believe.

Uh, yeah. Which is why I said, "no matter the circumstances".

I was surprised Kelechi Iheanacho didn't have a better game. He's a star waiting to happen, I believe.
    And since the circumstances were 6 teenage starters, I though it was worthy of expanding on. A couple injured starters is one set of circumstances, beating up the JV squad is whole different ball of wax.

Best of luck against Paris on the second leg, we can all agree that beating a French Team is a good thing.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-21-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Very happy to see Houston selected. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the scheduling and tickets to see if I can get out for at least one match.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015...ica-centenario
    Draw for the Copa America this Summer:

Group A
    1. USA
    2. Columbia
    3. Costa Rica
    4. Paraguay

Group B
    1. Brazil
    2. Ecuador
    3. Haiti
    4. Peru