Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    The machines are dangerous. I'm playing on hard and holy crap. This is not a guns a blazing environment. It's scary and you have to be careful. I died a bunch at one part and gave up. I may have to drop to normal. I had read the game was on the easy side but I'm not so sure.

JB or others, what difficulty you using and how does it feel? I normally use Normal like I would on Uncharted and maybe I should drop down.
    I think I'm just on normal. Between Wildlands and Mass Effect, I haven't played in a week or so.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I think I'm just on normal. Between Wildlands and Mass Effect, I haven't played in a week or so.
    I can see why the game gets great reviews. For some reason I don't have this great urge to rush and play it though. Maybe I'm a bit burnt out on UC4 and Tomb Raider. Even Uncharted wasn't as exciting as the initial games, even though the game was good and I'm glad I played it.

I think part of the issue may be this game is more stealth based and that may keep the excitement down too. I still think this game moves a bit too fast. I enjoyed the combat a lot more in Uncharted. I kind of suck at combat when it happens now. I die quite a bit and when I do succeed there isn't a feeling of satisfaction right now. More like, let's move on to the next quest and check out the story. Maybe as I get more weapons I can be more strategic but the combat isn't impressing me at the moment. Still very early and I only have two weapons (Bow and tripcaster plus fire arrows).
    Last edited by Rudy; 03-28-2017 at 06:45 PM.

It's unique and done well. Definitely part of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Well, after having this sitting on the shelf for a month and a half, after finally beating Ghost Recon: Wildlands getting some time after work at least a couple days a week, and taking a break momentarily from Friday the 13th after plowing nearly 50 hours into in just over a week (plus the group of 3 to 10 people I usually play with haven't been on at the same times lately), I finally got a chance to dive into this last night.

Put a good three or so hours into it last night and have so far put a other 2 or 3 hours into it today. Just got past the Proving and about to head out into the wild by myself for the first time and head for Meridian.

But so far, I am loving this game. It's taken some getting used to since it's definitely a different style of gameplay with metal robot enemies, a bow and arrow and a spear as your primary weapons. But I'm enjoying it! I can't wait to see what's ahead of me as I venture out into the true open world portion of the game.

I had no expectations to like this game and didn't follow it at all pre-release.

That said, after the glowing reviews I decided to get it and I'm glad I did. I beat it in less than a week's time (which is saying something considering its length) and really enjoyed it.

I'd call it similar to Witcher 3 in its depth and experience. If you liked that, it's definitely worth giving this game a shot.

Looking forward to possible DLC expansions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm roughly 50 hours in and all that's left for me is to find some missed items, complete the final 2 story missions and the trials/tests.

I'd say its one of my Top 10 games of all-time right now and most certainly my #1 open world RPG of all-time.

I'm going to try playing this again later. I was disappointed in it. I might drop down to easy so I can just play through the story and finish it. Too stealth based and too many rpg options for what I thought it would be.

Based on the save files, I'm just over 21 hours into the game. I'm still early in the story because I have been heavily exploring the map and doing side quests. I have yet to even get to the Carja Border fort Daytower for the main story.

The farthest settlements I've reached is the Banuk Encampment for to the northeast and currently at Hunter's Gathering when I called it a night last night.

But, the time has been well spent. I've entirely explored the eastern third of the map, collecting every artifact, Banuk figure and metal flower, visiting every campfire, discovering every machine site, completing two main quests (the War Chief storyline), 5 side quests, 3 errands, 2 bandit camps, 1 Tallneck, 2 hunting grounds, the Sigma Cauldron and 3 corrupted zones.

Also have 2/3rds of the machine catalogue completing, having discovered and a number of times tangled with and killed Watchers, Striders, Grazers, Scrappers, Redeye Watchers, Broadheads, Lancehorns, Longlegs, Sawtoothes, Shell-Walkers, Fire Bellowbacks, Chargers, Stalkers, Glinthawks, Corruptors, Ravagers, Tallnecks and Corrupted machines.

Also almost have the first set of collectibles complete, just need to find one more ancient vessel and one more metal flower to finish Set 1. So far sitting at 29.17% game completion according to the progression menus.

Hmm, I think I've done the bandit camps out of order that it was expected most would do them. Because I put off the main story until I had completely explored the eastern part of the map, my order of bandit camps has gone Devil's Thist (level 5 or whatever level it was), Hollow Fort (level 25, cleared while I was level 20), Two Teeth (level 9) and just now Gatelands (level 12).

This is also reflected in the XP with 5,000 from Devil's Thirst, 15,000 from Hollow Fort, 7,500 from Two Teeth and 10,000 from Gatelands.

But, I guess if I was able to handle a level 25 Hollow Fort while only level 20, I should be able to handle a level 12 Gatelands and any future camps while currently at level 25.

Did you find the bandit camps hard? I thought so. I should have been able to do them but I got smoked.

I haven't had too much trouble. I play heavily stealth, so I do a lot of crouching, slow moving from stealth flower patch to stealth flower patch (whatever the hell those tall grassy flowery things are called) and do a lot of headshots with my precision arrows and hardened arrows.

It also helps I was able to buy the Shadow Carja Hunter Bow, the Shadow Carja Tripcaster and the Shadow Carja Sharpshot Bow (among the best weapons in the game) as soon as I reached Daytower, making one shot kills almost every time against humans.

Hollow Fort was tough, probably because I was 5 levels below the Fort level and only had plain Carja weapons, so it took a lot of fire traps and shock/explosion tripwires to thin the amount of bandits, to where I could go in and finish the rest off via bow and spear.

I may put this game on easy and try and buy some extra weapons to complete the game. I have a long way to go though.

So far this game has exceeded my expectations which were high to begin with. 15 hours in and taking my sweet time, just getting ready to leave the first area. You can definitely feel where it takes from the last two Tomb Raiders. From some of the traversal methods to the combat with the bow and very similar in regards to crafting/leveling. Also some nods to Far Cry. Oddly I have found the spear to be the easiest way to take down the early enemies, machine or human. Going 50/50 stealth so far. I like all the options you have in regards to trapping the machines so I see myself going more stealth and utilizing them over brute force. Story is pretty good so far and I like playing as Aloy and the little quips she utters as you are just scavenging for stuff.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...fficulty-more/

Horizon Zero Dawn Patch 1.30 Adds New Game+, Face Paint Options, Ultra Hard Difficulty, More
    Ultra-Hard Difficulty? Damn, some people have some serious skills. I am playing on Normal and getting more than ample challenge from the game. Glinthawks can just fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...fficulty-more/

Ultra-Hard Difficulty? Damn, some people have some serious skills. I am playing on Normal and getting more than ample challenge from the game. Glinthawks can just fuck off.
    The glinthawks are tough. I have found the best weapon is to just shoot them in the chest plate/chest area repeatedly with the tearblast arrow which eventually (3-4 shots) causes it to freeze/crash and then you just smash the living hell out of it.

I abuse the tearblast arrows like crazy for the big machines. Did not try them on the Glinthawks, think I went fire arrows. Will give it a shot.

I abuse the tearblast arrows like crazy for the big machines. Did not try them on the Glinthawks, think I went fire arrows. Will give it a shot.
    Yeah also don't be afraid to max out the mods too to make the tearblast as strong as possible too. That's really the only arrows I use on that bow.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah also don't be afraid to max out the mods too to make the tearblast as strong as possible too. That's really the only arrows I use on that bow.
    Well it definitely helped me take them down, thank you. The Sharpshot Bow is my go to but I stuck all three slots with damage (purple mods) varying % but working on stacking it out as I just got the Shadow version yesterday. Currently at 167 damage per shot. Stack three arrows, hit a weak spot and the rest is history. Between the 3 arrows perk and faster knockdowns with heavy melee I am pretty damn invincible all of a sudden. Of course neither of those things were really working for the stuff that flies at a distance.

The graphics team really deserves a round of applause for some of the best lighting and scenery in a game. In an open world environment to boot. Uncharted 4 was beautiful but this game raised the bar. If the Naughty Gods want to keep that moniker they really need to bring it with The Last of us 2 and open up the environment even more than they did with UC4.

Well it definitely helped me take them down, thank you. The Sharpshot Bow is my go to but I stuck all three slots with damage (purple mods) varying % but working on stacking it out as I just got the Shadow version yesterday. Currently at 167 damage per shot. Stack three arrows, hit a weak spot and the rest is history. Between the 3 arrows perk and faster knockdowns with heavy melee I am pretty damn invincible all of a sudden. Of course neither of those things were really working for the stuff that flies at a distance.

The graphics team really deserves a round of applause for some of the best lighting and scenery in a game. In an open world environment to boot. Uncharted 4 was beautiful but this game raised the bar. If the Naughty Gods want to keep that moniker they really need to bring it with The Last of us 2 and open up the environment even more than they did with UC4.
    Yeah for me the toughest fight is with Stalkers. The best method I found is to surround myself with shock lines shoot them with shock bombs have them come at me run into the shock line and then just bombard them with arrows. Of course when there is a pack of them its really tough as you eventually run out of the shock wire to protect you.