Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Courses of Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR

• Facebook
  • Display
    So in 2+ years they were able to make 8 real courses available (9 if you pre-order). Not to mention that all but one of the real courses have been in previous versions of Tiger Woods, so they had the foundation for these courses already.

There we go. Now all is normal with TGT again.

Keep in mind, this was developed over one year, not two. Many were on other tasks the first year off, namely Madden Mobile.

Every course is built from scratch, from the ground up, not copy and pasting with Frostbite.

With no number in the title, it could be evergreen, meaning you'll possibly never have to rebuy a course again as the DLC comes out.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    There we go. Now all is normal with TGT again.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    With no number in the title, it could be evergreen, meaning you'll possibly never have to rebuy a course again as the DLC comes out.
    Based on what they have done the past two generations, what makes you even consider such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Keep in mind, this was developed over one year, not two. Many were on other tasks the first year off, namely Madden Mobile.

Every course is built from scratch, from the ground up, not copy and pasting with Frostbite.

Will there be a note inside the game saying all that?

All Johnny Golfer is going to know/see is that his favorite golf franchise took a year off to come back with less than half the courses and golfers. It will look and play better (I feel safe in presuming), but is that enough to offset the drop in licensed content (and we don't know the full extent to any missing/reduced features yet)?

EDIT - I should add that I think the changes are for the long-term benefit of the franchise, but there's going to be some blowback over lack of perceived content in a title that was away for two years.
    Last edited by cdj; 06-17-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Will there be a note inside the game saying all that?

All Johnny Golfer is going to know/see is that his favorite golf franchise took a year off to come back with less than half the courses and golfers. It will look and play better (I feel safe in presuming), but is that enough to offset the drop in licensed content (and we don't know the full extent to any missing/reduced features yet)?

EDIT - I should add that I think the changes are for the long-term benefit of the franchise, but there's going to be some blowback over lack of perceived content in a title that was away for two years.
    I'm sure there will be. It'll probably match the blowback of NHL with only that amount of courses, but it is important to share the reasons why it is so as well.
    The dude abides.

Has anyone, from the game maker side explained anything with regards to lack of content? Here and NHL for example. I'm sure this is a simple way to look at it, but enter stupid sh!t rolls down hill plumber, PS3 games, especially the last versions made NHL 14, TW 14 were pretty dang good in my opinion. They had a lot of features, seemed like one of the best releases, it almost seemed like they said this is our last chance on old gen so let's go out with a bang.

Then they also say things like, on NEXT GEN we will have so much processor and machine to work with, the skies the limit. Yet then the first releases are a huge step backwards. It's like they hit the reboot, the first versions of Madden on PS3 compared to the last versions on PS2 weren't head and shoulders above, but later they did make great games on PS3. Now it seems like they've rebooted with this fancy NEXT GEN.

I can understand a new engine, i.e. Frostbite having to rebuild all the courses from scratch so to not include everything that was in previous versions isn't possible to begin with as there technically isn't a previous version....it just seems like releasing a "new" game every year leads to their own demise. It's supposed to be newer and better and have more and more features, but really from one year to the next it's a few slight changes here and there. Then enter the Next Gen phase and it starts all over.

I find it interesting that a new NCAA hasn't come out since 2013 and I still play the 2014 version, 2011 version, and 2009 versions a lot. If they came out with a newer version I'm sure it would be different, but by how much...it's hard to say.

I guess what I'm saying in all my rambling is, newest, latest and greatest, isn't always the greatest. Sometimes it's just hard to swallow the pill of the, Make the jump to next gen b/c of all the great things to come....well I find myself playing NCAA on PS3 a lot, b/c Madden on Next Gen just doesn't do it for me. Then to possibly have a backwards compatible option so I can play old gen games on my next gen...well what's the point of getting a next gen?

I'm part of the problem though, I feed the beast...I kick myself for paying close to $70 to reserve PGA for Xbox 1, then turn around and buy a really bad ass game used for PS3 (rainbow six) for $4. I'm sure when it came out it was $40-50 but maybe I should be smart and wait a few years for PGA on Next Gen to be $5.

End confused rant.

Quite simply, because they can, in regards to Rory. They can sell the rest of the courses as DLC and that is where the profits come in. Everyone that posts in this thread is part of the problem but there is no solution. We like golf games, buy golf games and are limited to the offerings available. Would hate to total up how much money I have spent on the Tiger Woods series last gen with all the DLC included. I have TGC to play a ton of courses but mostly by myself and using stroke play. The Season mode they just added is laughable at best. You can only use courses made by the developer and it is short and limited on the options.

Golf simply does not sell like it used to. Sure I am angry at many of the decisions that are made by EA and that they are ruled by the shareholder but I realize that they are a FOR-PROFIT company. They set a budget, that budget is restricted similar to NHL, due to how many copies the game will sell and you end up with 9 real courses. Licensing players and courses is not cheap either.

Technically there is a solution.

We can dream. The graphics, licensing and tour mode of Rory and the course creator of TGC.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 06-18-2015 at 09:38 AM.

US Open simulation showing off Chamber's Bay

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    US Open simulation showing off Chamber's Bay

Looks, kinda green though. Looks pretty brown in real life if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    Has anyone, from the game maker side explained anything with regards to lack of content? Here and NHL for example. I'm sure this is a simple way to look at it, but enter stupid sh!t rolls down hill plumber, PS3 games, especially the last versions made NHL 14, TW 14 were pretty dang good in my opinion. They had a lot of features, seemed like one of the best releases, it almost seemed like they said this is our last chance on old gen so let's go out with a bang.
    Generally, not much will be said until the game releases and review or community blowback is negative. In recent years it has led to infamous 'open letters' from higher-ups from NBA Live and NHL.

I assume closer to launch the PGA guys will clarify or lay out some plans for game expansion but that might depend on reviews. If reviewers think it is too bare-bones like NHL was, I expect we find out long-term plans sooner than later.

I don't want to sound like I'm being too negative. I am looking forward to the game and plan on buying it on day one, but lack of licensed content at launch and some missing features are disappointing. I worry about how that will be perceived by reviewers and the general community at large.

Yeah the amount of courses could get stale quick, unless the gameplay offers an experience to where every round truly feels different from the Frostbite engine.
    The dude abides.

For the guys the live and breath golf games it is going to suck, no if's and's or butt's. Those of us who play outside the sports genre it won't be so bad. Now if there was some way to implement "looting, FPS Action gaming and Golf."

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    For the guys the live and breath golf games it is going to suck, no if's and's or butt's. Those of us who play outside the sports genre it won't be so bad. Now if there was some way to implement "looting, FPS Action gaming and Golf."
    You forgot zombies.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Quite simply, because they can, in regards to Rory. They can sell the rest of the courses as DLC and that is where the profits come in. Everyone that posts in this thread is part of the problem but there is no solution. We like golf games, buy golf games and are limited to the offerings available. Would hate to total up how much money I have spent on the Tiger Woods series last gen with all the DLC included. I have TGC to play a ton of courses but mostly by myself and using stroke play. The Season mode they just added is laughable at best. You can only use courses made by the developer and it is short and limited on the options.

Golf simply does not sell like it used to. Sure I am angry at many of the decisions that are made by EA and that they are ruled by the shareholder but I realize that they are a FOR-PROFIT company. They set a budget, that budget is restricted similar to NHL, due to how many copies the game will sell and you end up with 9 real courses. Licensing players and courses is not cheap either.

Technically there is a solution.

We can dream. The graphics, licensing and tour mode of Rory and the course creator of TGC.
    I assure you I am no longer part of the problem.

I am part of the problem...the problem of could be accomplishing other things instead of gaming
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 06-19-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I am part of the problem...the problem of could be accomplishing other things instead of gaming
    That's not my problem as I am the emperor of multitasking

I actually don't have anything I could be doing when I game lol

Other than sleeping maybe...and I've done both at the same time plenty haha

TPC Scottsdale will be available for all on September 14. It is only available at launch for those who pre-ordered the game.