Thread: fivethirtyeight: How Madden Helped a Schlub Like Me Make It Into the NFL

• Facebook
  • Display

fivethirtyeight: How Madden Helped a Schlub Like Me Make It Into the NFL

THE WALK-ON: HOW MADDEN HELPED A SCHLUB LIKE ME MAKE IT INTO THE NFL

Part two of fivethirtyeight.com's look at Madden NFL ponders what would happen if an average person - in this case site contributor Walt Hickey - were accurately portrayed in the game. Could they win or be successful?

I was in Orlando with a crew of people who work on Madden, EA Sports’ premier football simulation, because I, like many obnoxious New York Giants fans, once had a fleeting moment of hubris. Sometime during QB Eli Manning’s 97 interceptions over the past five years, I thought: “Christ, even I could throw a better pass than that.”

I cannot throw a better pass than that. Yet there was a sort of perverse appeal to the damage I’d bring to the Giants if I were swapped with Manning. What would happen if a schlub like me played in a league as unforgiving as the NFL?

“You're going to be setting new ground in how low we go with the ratings,” Moore told me on my second day in Florida.

But I still had a chance to succeed. In Madden, everything’s a weighted dice roll — one player slamming into another isn’t an athletic act, it’s a probabilistic one. Even bad players like me could get lucky now and then.

My avatar played just as strangely as it looked. We’re used to playing Madden with athletes who have remarkable skill sets; they move quickly, consistently and responsively. I did not. It was like driving in the snow: You know how the car is supposed to move, but it just doesn’t behave as expected.

This is what happens when your Madden score is 12. A 12 out of 100 is bad. Very bad. The lowest-rated player in “Madden NFL 15” is Jacksonville Jaguars long snapper Carson Tinker, who’s a 41.

And yet I won some games as quarterback. In the 15 seasons that EA simulated with me as QB for the Giants,6 the team never had a winning season but did win an average of 2.9 games each year. Head coach Tom Coughlin was also fired every season. So, win some, lose some.

Moore also simulated me as a receiver, kicker and punter, each of which also dragged the Giants down. The team had an average of 3.3 wins with me as a receiver, 3.5 wins with me at kicker, and 3.8 wins with me at punter. Somehow, I made 95 percent of extra-point attempts, and my average punt was 27 yards. Skeptical, I emailed Moore to see whether the game might be flawed. “It might be one of those things in our simulation where it might not simulate the Extra-Point kicks based off of ratings enough,” he said. Even my achievements may have happened in error.

Click here to view the entire article.

This was an awesome article. Well, until the point where it offered to let me translate my real 40 time to a SPD rating. No thanks.

Moore's comment about the extra-point simulation was hilarious.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

That was hilarious. He was a terrible athlete and made Running Rich look great lol.

That is one of the funniest articles I've read in a long long time. I was laughing my butt off. Thanks for posting this, awesome stuff!