Thread: 2011 Recruiting Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Jesse Williams - DT #2
    Burkburnett, TX
    6'3'' 271 LBS
    4-Star

Ratings:
    Accleration B-, Strength B, Tackle B-, Power Moves B+, Finesse Moves B-, Block Shedding B-, Pursuit B+, Hit Power B-

Evaluation:

Williams is a prospect capable of being a playmaker at the defensive tackle position. This is not a kid you ask to eat up blocks and clog up a gap, you want to turn him loose and let him be a disruptive presence. The first thing that jumps out at you about him is his get-off. He has very good first step-quickness and is regularly the first guy moving. He is a penetrating defensive tackle. He displays the ability to stay low and get under blockers pads and quickly get by and get into the backfield. He is not lost if he can not just blow by blockers. He is able to take on blocks and hold his ground. He needs to watch his pad level, but will use his hands to engage and shed and displays good strength to hold his ground. He can move laterally and work along the line. He is a good tackler and has a good motor. He will pursue to the ball and will re-direct and retrace and will take solid angles in pursuit. He is an impressive looking kid and carriers his weight well, as he is a tall and athletic looking tackle. He has good speed for his size and can be a factor on the perimeter, but can seem a little rigid on the move at times though. He is dangerous as a pass rusher because of his get-off. Will flash the ability to work a quick swim and is consistently trying to play half-a-man and get-off blocks. He can keep developing his pass rush arsenal, but is an active kid that keeps working to get free and can be tough to handle. Williams is a player. He looks the part and can cause havoc. Very good defensive tackle prospect.

Mike Carter - MLB #13
    Bel Aire, KS
    6'2'' 249 LBS
    4-Star

Ratings:
    Speed B-, Acceleration B+, Tackle C, Play Recognition C-, Block Shedding B-, Pursuit C+, Zone Coverage B-, Man Coverage C, Strength B

Carter is a tough customer vs. the inside run; is an opportunistic player who is always around the ball. His size and toughness are the necessary qualities for the inside linebacker position at the major level of competition. Displays good flexibility with the agility, balance and quickness to scrape off the edge; has very good instincts and K&D ability. Will step up and take on lineman with the playing strength to defeat the block and still get to the football. Is a very good downhill player and can stack in short yardage situations. Is capable of avoiding blocks while working thru traffic on plays away; flashes lateral quickness vs. the outside run. This player shows good run blitz and backside run stopping toughness. We see a very disciplined and determined run stopper from the inside to the edge. Flashes good short / medium zone coverage skill however his hips appear to be a little tight when crossing over into zone coverage. Shows good underneath route recognition with better than average ball catching skills; will have to improve his ability to cover inside receivers in man coverage situations. This prospect has a very good motor and displays excellent pursuit habits all over the field which result in caused and recovered fumbles. His tackling skills, determination and aggressiveness make him a very good candidate for early special teams play. Carter may not be an immediate starter at the next level however his skill level is such that early playing time is a possibility while his coverage skills improve.

Josh Sampson - OT #80
    Towson, MD
    6'6'' 304 LBS
    3-Star

Ratings:
    Acceleration C+, Impact Blocking C, Strength C, Run Block Footwork C, Pass Block Footwork C+

Sampson is a tough aggressive player with the playing strength to get movement off the line of scrimmage. Has the size and enough athleticism for the offensive tackle position at the major level of competition. Shows good flexibility, balance and agility playing from both a two and three point stance; displays good initial fit and pad level however we don't see the sudden explosiveness necessary to knock defenders off the ball. His good blocking base and leg drive allow him to sustain and maintain contact with a strong finishing effort. Flashes the athleticism and low pad level to get a hat on active 1st and 2nd level defenders; this is an alert, smart player capable of picking up late blitzing linebackers. Demonstrates the balance and body control to play on his feet and sustain blocks in space. This prospect should be able to make all the necessary run blocks at the next level of play. His arm length and nimble feet should serve him well in pass protection. However all areas of footwork, balance and hand use will need refinement. Although we see the ability to bend and slide his feet his posture and base must improve; will cross his feet working against quick edge rushers and this must be corrected along with his initial punch, placement and extension. We like this guy's tough, aggressive finishing attitude; the attempt to dominate defenders is what we like to see in offensive linemen. Sampson has good size and playing strength but will still need time and perhaps a red shirt year to polish his skills. Once this is accomplished he should have a productive career at the major level of competition.

[espnu150] 4* CB C.J. Gross
    6'1" 176
    West Helena, AR
    #77 overall, #4 CB
    A: Speed, Man Coverage
    B+: Acceleration, Agility, Play Recognition
    B: Zone Coverage, Jumping, Injury
    B-: Stamina
    C+: Press Coverage, Pursuit
    Other Offers: USC, Michigan, Penn State, Alabama, Florida State, Oklahoma

I tried to go after that corner but he shot us down so I removed him from my board.

Te I got was 85
    Ovr so was the ot

Meet the newest Texas Longhorns:

[espnu150] [5star] QB Carlos McDaniel
    6'2'' 201
    #2 overall, #1 QB
    Allen, TX
    85 overall
    96 throwing power, 91 throwing accuracy, 59 awareness

[espnu150] [5star] RB Earl Campbell, Jr.
    6'2'' 225
    #1 overall, #1 RB
    Balch Springs, TX
    85 overall
    97 speed, 93 acceleration, 93 agility, 72 awareness, 86 elusiveness, 87 stiff arm, 95 stamina, 87 injury

[espnu150] [5star] RB Hopkins
    5'9'' 194
    #17 overall, #4 RB
    Somewhere, OK
    84 overall
    93 speed, 89 acceleration, 85 agility, 80 break tackle, 90 trucking, 84 stiff arm, 89 spin move, 89 juke move, 78 route running, 85 stamina, 85 injury

[espnu150] [5star] ATH Cody Anderson
    6'2'' 211
    #3 overall, #1 ATH
    Caliborne, LA
    81 overall FB
    75 speed, 79 strength, 78 agility, 84 acceleration, 83 pass block, 86 run block, 84 impact block, 84 run block strength, 83 run block footwork, 82 pass block strength, 79 pass block footwork, 73 catch

[espnu150] [5star] ATH Ryan Mitchell
    5'10'' 196
    #6 overall, #3 ATH
    Big Spring, TX
    81 overall WR
    88 speed, 94 acceleration, 83 agility, 82 break tackle, 75 catch

[espnu150] [5star] TE Hall
    6'5'' 250 something
    #12 overall, #2 TE
    84 overall
    81 speed, 83 acceleration, 83 catching, 89 catch in traffic, 85 route running, 81 run block, 80 strength, 90 break tackle, 92 trucking

[espnu150] [4star] OT Michael Guerrero
    6'3'' 320
    #49 overall, #4 OT
    Garland, TX
    82 overall
    80 strength, 97 acceleration, 69 awareness, 78 pass block, 77 run block

[4star] DE Loren F.a.g.an
    6'1" 250
    Bonita Springs, FL
    #208 overall, #26 DE
    76 overall
    80 speed, 88 acceleration, 83 block shedding, 82 play recognition, 78 power moves, 75 finesse moves

[espnu150] [4star] CB C.J. Gross
    6'1" 176
    West Helena, AR
    #77 overall, #4 CB
    83 overall
    95 speed, 88 agility, 88 acceleration, 95 man coverage, 85 zone coverage, 77 press coverage, 90 play recognition, 85 jumping

[espnu150] [4star] SS Joe McBride
    5'11" 213
    Sun Valley, NV
    #54 overall, #3 SS
    82 overall
    77 speed, 88 acceleration, 80 agility, 82 tackle, 86 man coverage, 93 zone coverage, 87 hit power, 80 catching, 85 pursuit, 83 press coverage, 84 jumping, 83 block shedding

[espnu150] [4star] FS Charles Wilson
    5'10'' 185
    #73 overall, #5 FS
    Hesperia, California
    81 overall
    91 speed, 94 acceleration, 75 agility, 85 tackle, 82 man coverage, 82 zone coverage, 72 play recognition, 82 hit power, 78 catching, 84 pursuit

[espnu150] [4star] FS Jimmy Ellis
    6'1'' 197
    #109 overall, #8 FS
    81 overall
    91 speed, 94 acceleration, 75 agility, 85 tackle, 82 man coverage, 82 zone coverage, 72 play recognition, 82 hit power, 78 catching, 84 pursuit

[espnu150] [4star] JUCO Sophomore ATH Bryan Amos
    6'0'' 188
    #33 overall, #6 ATH
    Pasadena, TX
    83 overall SS
    97 speed, 92 acceleration, 82 agility, 78 strength, 79 play recognition, 85 hit power, 81 zone coverage, 80 man coverage, 85 tackle, 86 pursuit

Showoff.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

lol :-)

yea a lot of 85 overalls after ea 'fixed' the recruits ;/ guess we are headed back to having like 18 players over 90 on every team every year lol

my 4* TE came in at 85 overall

My only recruit over 80 OVR was 81, and that was the #9 player in the country. Richardson was basically an all-out WR.. only a 79, 74 at RB, like 59 at CB.

Considering all of those 80+ guys are ESPN top 150 players I am okay with that....those guys should be immediate impact players and eventually the top players in college. Now from what I've read though depending on progression they may top out in the high 80's low 90's as well.

Agreed. One of the problems with the first batch of recruits this year was that you'd never get a recruit that could actually start on Day 1. Every year we get a couple true freshmen that have such an impact. While I don't necessarily like how many such players there are, I'd rather have a lot of ESPNU 150 that are 80+ than not have any.

That said ... 96 THP / 91 THA for McDowell? That's ridiculous. That is utterly ridiculous.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Wisconsin signs the much sought after Center and sought after Guard that both popped up in the offseason. I don't have any details since Dynasty Wire is down but you all know you wanted them . I believe the Center was a [5star] and the Guard was a [4star]. They'll be great additions to the tradition of Wisconsin having a stud offensive line.
    I never did say congrats on this one, man that is huge. I'm hoping that I can grab one big guys for T, C, and G in this years class. I'm going to need it.