Thread: NHL 15 Demo - Impressions & General Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

NHL 15 Demo - Impressions & General Discussion

Share your thoughts on the demo in this thread.

"This content cannot be selected at this time."

That's the message when you try to download the demo on PS4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    "This content cannot be selected at this time."

That's the message when you try to download the demo on PS4.

It is slowly downloading now. I found it in like 4 places in the store and only one worked.

If you have the same problem that I did, use this path to get to a downloadable version of the demo:

Games > New > Demos > New Demos

The file is 2662 MB.

I've played 3 games and right now I'm watching the CPU vs CPU on the True Broadcast Camera.

The games is very close to that of NHL 14 which is not a bad thing. The biggest change I've felt has been the new puck physics. I really like the changes there.

I can't wait to get my hands on the retail version so I can work on sliders and settings. The demo plays a touch fast for my liking and the shot speeds seem a bit hyper.

Hybrid Icing is in the game this year and it does exactly what it should from what I've seen.

The colors look a little washed out to me but that may be because the ice doesn't appear to ever be clean which I can understand in the demo. The commentary is just ok. I'm hoping that it is severely limited for the demo because it's pretty bland (though some of that is to be expected with a new commentary team this year).

I'm sure I'll think of a few other things as I play more. It's too bad GMC is not in on the next-gen versions because this is going to be a great game and I know I'll have a lot of fun with BAGM.

Are the graphics a noticable difference?
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    They are.

It's not a huge difference when you are actually playing but during stoppages it is quite nice. The fans look great and seem to react perfectly. The arenas are shown off a bit more (as they should be now that they are authentic) and both MSG and Staples Center look fantastic.

Just played one game of demo on Arcade/lowest difficulty, winning 4-1 with LA.

I don't know much about hockey, but enjoyed the game. The commentary isn't bad.....but it isn't great either. Definitely not rewarding after a goal. However the crowd was pretty impressive, especially visually. I would have liked them louder after goals, but it is awesome to see them jump and react after goals, especially on replay.

I thought some of the colors seemed a little washed out as well, , especially on the ice. Hopefully that is to show off the degradation, like you mentioned.

Haven't played too much but from what I have played, it is a lot of fun. I thought the gameplay visuals would be better for PS4 but they are still decent.

Pros:
    -great player visuals when UP CLOSE
    -excellent pre-game intros
    -strong and realistic skating
    -my player got rocked and lost his helmet... it stayed on the ice the whole shift!
    -player celebrations are really good
    -LOVE the right stick hitting...
    -back handers are very powerful
    -too long a wind up on a slapshot and you miss the puck... love it!
    -running into the goalie!

Cons:
    -uniform colour is very washed out
    -Rangers numbers on their backs look too far apart IMO
    -hit physics are fantastic
    -tiles mneu... not a fan at all.. this is my least favourite part of the demo!!!
    -crowd is surely not a living world
    -not really much of a post game to speak of

Neutral:
    -the audio is okay but a lot of dead time and generic feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Just played one game of demo on Arcade/lowest difficulty, winning 4-1 with LA.

I don't know much about hockey, but enjoyed the game. The commentary isn't bad.....but it isn't great either. Definitely not rewarding after a goal. However the crowd was pretty impressive, especially visually. I would have liked them louder after goals, but it is awesome to see them jump and react after goals, especially on replay.

I thought some of the colors seemed a little washed out as well, , especially on the ice. Hopefully that is to show off the degradation, like you mentioned.
    It's interesting you like the crowd. I find them not that great (except when a goal is scored). Maybe crowds will be very different in each arena?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    It's interesting you like the crowd. I find them not that great (except when a goal is scored). Maybe crowds will be very different in each arena?
    I think I compare them too much to other sports games. Compared to others, I think they are good. As great as I thought they'd be from yesterday's Living Worlds trailer? No.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I think I compare them too much to other sports games. Compared to others, I think they are good. As great as I thought they'd be from yesterday's Living Worlds trailer? No.
    So embarrasing... I didn't know we could play in NY! I find the crowd looks so much better in NY than LA. The colours in NY's arena are also far superior. Staples Centre looks too dull IMO.

I wonder if they might seem better once we get Replay Mode to watch what they do during the action.

I think more of the fan uniqueness will show in the retail title. I haven't seen fans taunt players in the box, for example.

In case you haven't downloaded the demo or have been unable to play it yet, here is a video showing all of the demo options and features, as well as two game simulations.

This teaser video plays in the demo after a few minutes when you do not hit X at the main menu or front end panels. Has this been released before? If so, I am drawing a blank.

I have been reading on a few sites that NHL 15 and NHL 14 in the sense are gameplay are pretty much identical. I didn't play 14 and only season ticket for 13. Is this a fair statement that people are making based on the feel of the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I have been reading on a few sites that NHL 15 and NHL 14 in the sense are gameplay are pretty much identical. I didn't play 14 and only season ticket for 13. Is this a fair statement that people are making based on the feel of the demo?
    The gameplay does feel pretty much the same as 14. However, the puck physics are much, much better. There are new strategies in 15 too so in sure that will probably make some difference.