Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Madden 15 Retail Impressions (PS4/XBox One)

• Facebook
  • Display
    I do need more time with it. I've always wanted more momentum but it feels like they went too far with the quicker players. Hopefully I adjust as well. There are a lot of things I do like which I will hopefully have some more impressions of later. Will get a game tonight and I have tomorrow off. All-pro on PS4 is harder than all-madden on PS3 IMO. Will take some adjusting and some slider tweaks.

Definitely noticed that low CPU QB accuracy leads to way too many run calls. I've got it at 40 and I see more inerrant passes than did with it at 5 on PS3. Any general slider thoughts on PS4?

Yeah difficulty is better than PS3 I agree as well.

Sliders not sure. I never mess with then since I don't play CPU

These are my early impressions and I will re-iterate my thoughts on the player movement below. I played 25+ games on the PS3 and I really liked that game. I thought it was the best Madden ever on PS3. It looked good although it wasn’t always balanced. The game was overly offensive, 3rd and short was automatic to pick up and the defensive secondary play very suspect. I’ve only played about 3 games or so total on the PS4 so these are early impressions of the switch.

First the game looks really good. The graphics are good but at the same time they don’t blow me away. I think the general leap from PS3 to PS4 just isn’t that huge as in the past. I don’t play on the super close cameras and I’m not a graphics whore anyway. Some of the things I do notice are the grass, the much improved crowds in the stands and the lighting. It’s certainly better looking than the PS3 but the graphics aren’t a system seller imo.

The PS4 game is MUCH harder. I find all-pro on PS4 more difficult than All-Madden on PS3. The game is much more balanced out of the box on PS4 and defense is a lot stronger as well. The running game is much harder and the secondary play seems better. Animations are smoother and the line play is a lot nicer. Not only do you get the mini-game with time button presses which is a huge improvement over confusing PS3 line play but you also get the defensive camera options. I’ve only messed with those a little but they are cool. The line play is more organic overall.

I’m fine with the new play screen. If I had the choice I’d go back to the PS3 one since it takes too long to pick my play. I’m rushing more than before but I don’t see it as a really big deal. I think there are too many cut scene displays after plays but overall presentation is good. The halftime show is good and I’ve seen a game track type of highlight package that you used to get on NCAA 14. Never saw that on PS3. The injury cut scenes are a lot better too although Danielle Bellini seems to be missing at times.

The QB accuracies are actually a lot better on PS4. With cpu at 40 I saw EJ Manuel overthrow guys a couple times. At 5 on PS3 he rarely missed. But the PS4 cpu QB accuracy slider does impact the playcalling from my short time (and what I read). I tried it at 10 and the play calls were 90% runs.

Overall the PS4 is an improvement in almost every area except one huge area that I find VERY annoying. The player momentum and control is terrible. I’ve complained about the lack of momentum and overly twitchy player movement on the PS3 but this system is not what I wanted. It feels like you are steering a large boat with every player. I’m fine if that was for a back like Blount or a FB but not for Shady McCoy or Sproles. The one cut RB feels like its dead on the PS4. Trying to make any sort of cutback and your RB enters into a pitter-patter animation where they try to stop dead in their tracks instead of a cut upfield. I loved being able to see a hole and cut back into it on the PS3. I feel like that’s almost impossible now. And making guys miss manually with the L-stick? Gone. With McCoy and Sproles their juke move with the precision modifier isn’t bad but you have to execute it very early and pray. Right now whenever I’m in the open field I just get tackled. So right now I can’t cut back and I can’t make people miss. So running plays are basically follow the play through the hole and get tackled. I feel I have little impact and the running game just isn’t fun. Maybe this game has a steep learning curve but this area is a HUGE negative compared to the PS3 for me right now. It would be nice if the quicker backs got better animations to truly reflect their skill set.

So overall I’m finding Madden PS4 really good in almost every area. Smoother, better looking, more defense, better balance but the player movement in the running game is so poor it just sucks the fun out it for me. It’s really hard to adjust to this after the PS3 version. I hope Skip is right and that I can learn to adjust and enjoy running the ball again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I hope Skip is right and that I can learn to adjust and enjoy running the ball again.
    Well I can tell you that it's definitely not as easy to run as it was last 2 version...which is what we all wanted, I know I definitely did.

Initially I did feel like I was unable to control the RB after the snap for that split second but I'm starting to get more and more of a feel for it.

Also i DEFINITELY agree Line play is more organic. I actually just spoke with a friend of mine and said the exact same thing you just did.

I like the fact that if you send more than blocking that it can result in a sack or atleast a better matchup.

There are a lot more post play celebrations by players on PS4. I like that. The field degradation could be better. The grass turns Brown too easy.

I popped in the NHL demo with my brother. Madden looks so much better. NHL 15 does not look next gen IMO.

I think like others have said it takes some getting used to, especially if you've played other Madden versions a lot more. I was used to NCAA on PS3 as that was the football game that I played all the time. When I started playing Madden 15 on PS4 I was yelling at the T.V., "WHY ON EARTH DOES HE STOP TO MAKE A CUT!???" I saw this a lot on passes, the WR would catch the ball, say on a crossing route, as soon as he caught the ball (user controlled catch) I'd tell him to go UP the field and he would stop in his tracks, then face up the field, then start moving but by this time he was tackled.

What I've found that works better is to still take control of the WR while the pass is enroute but allow the CPU to control his movement, I don't touch the L-stick until he turns up field on his own, he does it without stopping his momentum and then I touch the L-stick to take over control of his direction. So far it seems like I have better control using this method.

Same with the HB, when I run inside I STAY OFF THE SPRINT, I can't make cuts to holes or change directions if I even think of using the sprint, if I don't and I'm patient I can actually hit holes and allow my blockers to do their jobs then I can get nice runs.

As far as sliders, I'm not good. I was in the OD here but I couldn't do a thing. I've been using these All-Pro sliders from O.S. and I really like them, they seem to make for a really FUN game. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-sliders.html

I like the gameplay on the above sliders, it's nice that faster players can outrun slower players and vice-verse.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm thinking the same thing. I am adjusting and accepting it more now.

That slider set uses 0 threshold. I may try that to separate the speedy guys some more.

I've struggled hitting the deep ball. Do you have to lead them deeper as I usually have it fall short and it gets broken up. I think the passes are a touch slower on PS4 compared to PS3. Not sure.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I'm thinking the same thing. I am adjusting and accepting it more now.

That slider set uses 0 threshold. I may try that to separate the speedy guys some more.

I've struggled hitting the deep ball. Do you have to lead them deeper as I usually have it fall short and it gets broken up. I think the passes are a touch slower on PS4 compared to PS3. Not sure.
    I like how there is a noticeable difference in speedy guys vs slower guys using these sliders.

I do not have much luck with the deep ball. I've thrown a lot of INTs trying to throw it deep. The only time I seem to get a good deep ball is on PA and what looks like busted coverage. If I lead the pass deep the WR seems to run under the ball and make the catch, I can press O to take over him but if I press O and then the L-stick it will make him stutter just enough to slow his momentum. I allow the WR to run on his own until near the ball then I press Triangle to user catch it.

Sometimes I can get decent success with the deep ball on streak routes, I use the R-stick prior to snapping the ball to look at the match-up and if my WR has an advantage on speed then I go for the deep pass as usually he'll get past the CB, if the CB has a higher speed rating then it's usually picked.

I'm going to redo my Browns franchise very soon. I was 2-5-1 on PS3. Let's see if I'm much better on PS4. Getting used to it. I really appreciate the graphics after seeing the weak looking NHL 15 demo (comments solely directed to looks).

I'm glad the PS4 version has more defense. The run defense is better and LBs fly to the ball. But the interior DL still get knocked off the ball EVERY time on short yardage. You never see them get a TFL on an inside run. 3rd and 1 is still automatic. It would be nice if it was more dynamic and it didn't feel cheap to call a normal inside run on 3rd and short. The run game needs more balance on inside vs outside IMO.

I'm glad the PS4 version has more defense. The run defense is better and LBs fly to the ball. But the interior DL still get knocked off the ball EVERY time on short yardage. You never see them get a TFL on an inside run. 3rd and 1 is still automatic. It would be nice if it was more dynamic and it didn't feel cheap to call a normal inside run on 3rd and short. The run game needs more balance on inside vs outside IMO.
    You must not be playing on All Madden

I still can't run inside very much when playing a reasonable opponent. Especially the way the Defense swarms to the ball.

I've had DT's and DE's beat their man badly and get me shortly after getting the handoff.

Now the Q1 Trap and Inside Zone plays seem to work overly well, but not all the time.

I use the Steelers too which have 2 solid Guards and a very good Center.

I've tried it on all-madden in practice mode and its the same thing, even with 0 run block. The lbs make plays but the dts don't get TFL. They always get driven back a it. Maybe it's different in franchise. I'm not saying I'm averaging 6 yards a carry inside. Just saying the DTs don't make plays or get upfield ever and that results in 3Rd and inches being automatic. I'll see Samson Satele, who is a small center, routinely move Nts back.

I'd love to see a single video of a DT whipping a G/C on an inside run resulting in a TFL. I didn't see it on any level on PS3 and haven't seen it on PS4. LBs will make some plays though.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Finally getting our CFM off on the ground. Played Escobar the other night, just love how smooth the play is online.
    The dude abides.

I found that sliders on the PS3 in Play now worked very similar to franchise. Not so on PS4. The CPU rushing attack is much weaker in franchise. Going to have to mess with sliders significantly.

And the Titans signed Ray Rice in my franchise lol.

I LOVE in game saves. But they are a bit wonky in that it doesn't save weather or uniform choices. One game it was sunny and after I resumed it was raining. The Titans were using Oiler throwbacks and when I resumed they were wearing their normal unis lol. It would also be a small touch if they fixed the football bouncing off the FG nets like trampolines. Some bounce right back on the field.

I stuck the game in for the first time since... When did Destiny come out? Anyway, I have always gone out of my way to criticize the art team at Tiburon. Maybe it was low blood sugar or my eyesight being not what it used to be but the in-game graphics kinda *wowed me. Running the ball on "Zoom" is a beautiful thing. This is something I have never uttered with an EA football game. Only gripe with Zoom on offense is the passing is set too far back, it's zoom for a reason. Forces me to switch camera back to standard every time I pass but at least I have the option. Defensive camera has completely changed the way I play defense, for the better.

*Horrific in-game sidelines not included as part of the wow factor.

BJ Raji takes flight

The dude abides.

I've tried it on all-madden in practice mode and its the same thing, even with 0 run block. The lbs make plays but the dts don't get TFL. They always get driven back a it. Maybe it's different in franchise. I'm not saying I'm averaging 6 yards a carry inside. Just saying the DTs don't make plays or get upfield ever and that results in 3Rd and inches being automatic. I'll see Samson Satele, who is a small center, routinely move Nts back.

I'd love to see a single video of a DT whipping a G/C on an inside run resulting in a TFL. I didn't see it on any level on PS3 and haven't seen it on PS4. LBs will make some plays though.
    I have seen it countless amount of times

You playing the CPU? I'm only speaking on All-Madden user vs user games.

I'll put up video next time it happens

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I have seen it countless amount of times

You playing the CPU? I'm only speaking on All-Madden user vs user games.

I'll put up video next time it happens
    I only play the cpu, never online. I never see the DT break through on All-Pro and I haven't seen it on All Madden in practice mode either (even with user run block at 0). I see LBs break through occassionally and I'll see DEs do it on outside runs but the inside runs are 99% positive yardage. I know practice isn't perfect in replicating Play Now or Franchise. Heck the cpu rushing attack is quite a bit weaker on All Pro in franchise mode. I've got cpu Run Block at 100 and I'm starting to think I will have to go to all-Madden just to fix that part of the game but my passing skills suck. I think I would get destroyed on All Madden in that department.

I only play the cpu, never online. I never see the DT break through on All-Pro and I haven't seen it on All Madden in practice mode either (even with user run block at 0). I see LBs break through occassionally and I'll see DEs do it on outside runs but the inside runs are 99% positive yardage. I know practice isn't perfect in replicating Play Now or Franchise. Heck the cpu rushing attack is quite a bit weaker on All Pro in franchise mode. I've got cpu Run Block at 100 and I'm starting to think I will have to go to all-Madden just to fix that part of the game but my passing skills suck. I think I would get destroyed on All Madden in that department.
    I've played more ranked pick up games than I have the past 3 versions combined so far, but that was out of messing around for the most part with teams I've never used. Had it happen last night against the Cardinals on All-Pro. Didn't get to get a video because the guy quit on me.

Against my league friends though those are the games played on All-Madden. I've seen it happen a good bit when the Q1 Trap is used...which in itself is a very effective play, but if you have a solid DT he will blow it up a good bit also.

I don't just much from playing CPU or practice mode which still is the CPU.

My inside run game has been getting destroyed either at the point of attack for a no gain or 1-yd gain. Certain runs though will have a great deal of effectiveness possibly causing what you are seeing

Pistol: Inside Split Zone
    Pistol: Strong Power
    Pistol: Inside Zone

Any Formation: Inside Zone
    Any Formation: Q1 Trap

These are a favorite among lobbyists lol