Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 College Football Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    I don't like how money is the cause for everything. Just let the kids play football. They are 18-20 years old.

Blame the BCS. That is the simple way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    As for Michigan, I hate Rich Rod. I hate his outdated spread offense where throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield is only required when trailing. Oregon's offense is a lot better to watch. And going to a 3-3-5 in the Big 10 was dumb and remains dumb. I still don't understand it. I hope he gets fired.
    Right. Ask UGa and OU how that offense and defense worked out in bowl games. That defense destroyed OU, absolutely man-handled them. The only power team to worry about in the B10 is Wisconsin. Most others are running spread variants. Eh, Iowa and MSU run power sometimes, but nothing that impressive that can't be shut down unless resorting to the lazy-ass strength and conditioning and lack of fire that plagued the last several years of the Carr-led teams.
    Ask Carr how playing teams employing run spreads or at least mobile QBs in passing spreads were so easy on his teams. The only spread teams that UM defense had success against? Purdue which is a passing spread and UF in his last bowl game because they gambled huge with blitzing the safety constantly. Tebow is still picking turf out of his headgear because of Jamar Adams.
    What kind of defense are you recommending specifically?

Yes, Rich needs to expand the passing game, but to say the offense can't work is premature and incorrect. Yes, they do need run better compliment routes, as the routes don't combo well and they've failed to hit the TE (QB's fault this past year moreso than the play design) in the middle of the field.
    Don't blame the offense for not getting the ball downfield when the QB playing it is too afraid to do so and is checking down to short routes constantly. Coincidentally, the longer routes are there.......guess which of the 3 schollie QBs was hitting them and LOOKING for them in the spring and which 2 weren't? THAT is as big of a problem as any.

You can't blame Rich Rod for everything IMO, his offense worked at WVU and this year hopefully he has the quarterback (Denard) to run the offense now that he's been here for a year.

I just want to say I don't see Texas moving to the SEC. Too far to the West. I realize Arkansas, and I guess it could work though the East would have to pick someone up and I'm not sure who unless Ga. Tech were to come back to the SEC... that or pry Clemson or FSU... or Miami from the ACC.

Otherwise I'm not sure. I know my school is starting a football program in 2012 and would love to join the SEC. Nothing like getting annihilated every game of the year.

I don't believe in the 3-3-5 period. I think it's more of a gimmick defense that teams without talent use to try to cover up problems. Michigan is a big program. You run a 4-3 or a 3-4 against base offenses and you bring in the extra DB for nickel (and dime). They tried to justify saying they liked running the 3-3-5 because they could use the same personel in the nickel and it develops consistently. I don't agree with that.

Michigan's offense hasn't had a lot of talent the last two years. My frustration with Rich Rod extends to many levels. I don't think he used the little talent he did have in year one properly. He's finally starting to get guys to fit his system but what guys are those? Gone are the days of having drop back QBs move on to the NFL or having top RBs and WRs make an impact on the next level. Those aren't the guys he's looking for. Sometimes I think his system is best suited for a school that doesn't get the best talent and has to come up with different things to win. UM doesn't have to do that. They can get the 5* guys.

I'm not as big a Michigan fan as you guys are. I don't live and breathe Michigan but I'd rather they get a coach and go back to a more traditional approach. Just my two cents.

Man, you don't know how many things were broken in the closing years of the Carr-led teams. The smoke was there and the fire was starting, but many a regular fan or someone who just looked at records didn't see it. What was noticeable on the field was though if you looked at scores and how games were won. Unfortunate.

That manifested itself in the final two years plus the first year of the RichRod era. I'm seeing things flipping though, and the swell is starting to look very big.

Look at VaTech's defense. They aren't that big. They aren't loaded on the DL. Yet, they are bringing pressure from all over and do cover well with speed all over, and they haven't had problems playing defense against many teams.
    See, you are thinking it is 5 DBs playing, but the two safeties up tight are more like a regular safety and an undersized LB/oversized safety who can cover.
    RichRod loves speed. Speed is disruptive (as long as the players do what they are assigned to do). Greg Robinson is not an idiot.
    The key to this year's defense will be if Ezeh and Mouton step up like the upperclassmen that they are or if they continue to underperform, at which point they'll get yanked. The gap to 2nd string has closed enough that they aren't the only options anymore. This defense is still young, but it will play faster than the poor defense that Carr was rolling out.

I don't think he used the little talent he did have in year one properly
    How so? There was squat on offense on that team, and it would have been silly to run an one year offense which would have delayed the development of the true freshmen.

Gone are the days of having drop back QBs move on to the NFL or having top RBs and WRs make an impact on the next level. Those aren't the guys he's looking for. Sometimes I think his system is best suited for a school that doesn't get the best talent and has to come up with different things to win. UM doesn't have to do that. They can get the 5* guys.
    I don't buy that. If lower-rated/lower-talented players can be successful in a certain system, so can the highly-talented guys. Those NFL studs and 4 and 5-star talents lost to App. St. and got flat-out humiliated against Oregon. And got flat punked by Iowa at HOME earlier in the 2000s. And got slapped around by Oregon at Oregon earlier in the 2000s. I liked Carr. But his teams were too entitled and did not play with fire and nastiness. That alone is a huge program shift and a very welcome one for many UM insiders.

They have a coach, and he's more like Bo thankfully than Carr.

I just want to say I don't see Texas moving to the SEC. Too far to the Pac10.
    Just like it is too far to the B10 IMO.

AustinWolv - you sure are passionate about the Wolverines lol. I hope they do well this year although we'll just have to disagree on some of the schemes. I prefer a traditional approach on defense with a multi-formation look on offense. Florida has proven that their system can win it all while Bama, LSU and USC have shown traditional approaches can still get it done. There is more than one way to do it which makes football interesting. Either way I don't think Michigan can do much worse than they have the last two years. That's pretty much impossible.

AustinWolv - you sure are passionate about the Wolverines
    You have no idea.

I prefer a traditional approach on defense with a multi-formation look on offense.
    I could actually care less about schemes, as long as players are flying to the ball and causing chaos. I like aggression and nasty attitude on defense. Let players play.

Utah doesn't play traditional, yet they win. Same with Boise St. Same with VaTech. Same with Oregon. Same with with Cincy. Same with OU.
    Talent wins games in college, not schemes.

LSU has lost some games they should not have.

TCU has had stout defense as of late and run 3-man fronts, as have Boise St.
    If your players are fast, they disrupt the blocking anyway, plus you can put 8 guys in the box but still have coverage. On any given play, you've got blitz possibility from 3 LBs and the 2 safeties......potentially CBs if you run guys out at the snap. Shifting players around can give a 4-3 or 3-4 look easily enough.

Considering half or so of the teams on the schedule play a spread variant, it makes sense to go with speed over girth, especially since you can bring in larger players to play a 4-3 Under look against power teams or sets (or merely shift to a different package within the 3-3), while it is harder to run a base 4-3 and force LBs to cover slots and such when you come up on a spread team. UM did that in the past and got A-B-U-S-E-D, if you don't recall the nightmare of watching Chris Graham chase receivers around.

Another few weeks until we find out if Demar Dorsey qualifies per Ann Arbor .com

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    You have no idea.
    And yet ... you can stand me

Did I ever mention to you that I graduated high school in Boone, NC? Also known as home to Appalachian State? (hides)
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Did I ever mention to you that I graduated high school in Boone, NC? Also known as home to Appalachian State? (hides)
    You are so rude. (laugh)

Yeah, I can stand opposing fans that are rational and realistic. That is why I like Chris Spielman so much, and why you make the cut, Jeff. You are few and far between for OSU fans, that's for sure.

Yeah, yeah, Boone, eh? I block out the past few years and feel better every time I see this pic.

NEUTRON11071.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

Booone. I'm sure we've had this discussion before. I have a lot of friends that go to Appalachian State, or did. They've all graduated. I'm going to school in Charlotte at UNCC.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Another few weeks until we find out if Demar Dorsey qualifies per Ann Arbor .com
    Best that I know right now is that he won't be coming to Ann Arbor. Been stated emphatically, as he'd have to nail test scores very well to qualify and there is not much optimism for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Best that I know right now is that he won't be coming to Ann Arbor. Been stated emphatically, as he'd have to nail test scores very well to qualify and there is not much optimism for that.
    Response from an Ann Arbor sports reporter on my twitter..

Not good. Could qualify and not get admitted. Then maybe FSU. RT @its_flav: @davebirkett what do you think the odds of Dorsey getting in are
    http://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/14225182109