Thread: Madden NFL 15 - Connected Franchise Deep Dive

• Facebook
  • Display

Madden NFL 15 - Connected Franchise Deep Dive

MADDEN NFL 15 FEATURE DEEP DIVE: CONNECTED FRANCHISE

Written by Senior Designer Josh Looman

EA SPORTS is excited to finally bring you news about the big changes we made in Connected Franchise Mode (CFM) this year. I hope you agree that we definitely saved the best for last!

This is the stuff you hardcore fans wait all year to hear about, so it's time to break down every major change we made this year.

Game Prep and Confidence
    The biggest change to Madden NFL 15’s Connected Franchise are the additions of Game Prep and Confidence.

These new systems replaced two features from Madden NFL 25: practice and hot/cold streaks. Game Prep allows players to make sure their team is prepared every week, AND allows them to earn valuable XP for backups and young players.

Confidence
    Every player now has a confidence rating between 1 and 99. That confidence rating is dynamic and will change based on what happens to the player and his team from week to week, and is is NOT an indication of how confident the player generally is in real life.

Among the things that can change a player’s confidence are losses, poor performances, trades, etc. How much confidence fluctuates is determined by several different factors: whether the player is a starter or backup, their consistency rating, and how big the game was. Get blown out by a rival at home? Confidence drops more than a one-point road loss.

Wondering how much each player’s confidence changed after a big win? There’s a screen that shows every player’s individual changes, allowing players to go back and track the changes in confidence.

So what does confidence do? Simple. If a player’s confidence is high, their key ratings temporarily increase. If it gets too low, those same key ratings drop.

This was done to represent players that outperform their expectations, as well as players that are struggling. Before last season, did anyone think that Josh Freeman would be a free agent at the start of October? That’s what Madden 15 is trying to capture with this new system.

Quick Tip: Every player starts Connected Franchise with a “normal” confidence rating of 50. Once confidence start dropping to below 25-30 or increasing to 75-80, that’s when ratings changes will occur.

Game Prep
    Game Prep replaces Madden 25’s practice mode, and was designed to allow you to make the ultimate choices in developing your team. Each week, players are given a set amount of time to prep each week.

This time fluctuates based on season schedule, so bye weeks or Monday night games will impact preparation for the following week, just like the real-world NFL.

Players have multiple activities to choose from each week, and each activity costs a specific amount of time per player.

There are two types of activities in Game Prep – one increases players’ confidence, while the other earns XP. If you’re trying to develop a young team like the Jaguars or Bucs, focus most on getting your players XP. If you’re a team like the Seahawks or 49ers, it’s better to focus on increasing confidence, so that the team is prepared each and every week.

CPU teams have extensive logic that determines what they work on every week. Bad teams will focus mostly on developing their players, while contenders will focus on confidence first and then earn XP if confidence isn’t an issue.

How much XP or confidence each player earns depends on factors such as coach traits and a player’s development trait. If a QB possesses the “Superstar” development trait and has Jim Harbaugh as a coach, that player will earn more XP or confidence than a player with an average coach/trait. NFL coaches like Andy Reid and Jim Harbaugh are known for developing QBs, and that is what the development team attempted to capture.

Players also have the choice to run in-game skill drills for XP or Confidence, with points rewarded based on success in the activity. We want to reward players for putting in the time with in-game skill drills, so those are more valuable than activities that do not occur in game.

Game Prep is not designed to be a grind. If players choose to ignore Game Prep on any given week, we’ll use the same logic that CPU teams use to automatically reward a player with XP or Confidence. It’s up to you when you want to jump in and control how players are developing.

Quick Tip: Check out the depth chart to see which key ratings have increased or decreased.Ratings that have increased will be green, while decreased ratings are red. This carries into games, as well.

Free Agency Redesign
    Offseason Free Agency has undergone a redesign that adds several different factors when attempting to sign a player. When a player evaluates whether they want to sign with you, they no longer take only money into account. Now they evaluate your team’s needs, scheme, coaching ability, etc. All of those factors are displayed on the screen, which makes it easier to see why a player spurned an offer. The other team may have just been a better fit.

Random Draft Classes
    For the first time in CFM, draft classes are entirely random. Every name, rating, trait, face, etc. is randomly generated every season. No two classes are alike or predictable. This is something we’ve wanted to do for the past few years. Our fans have been very passionate about random draft classes, and this addition adds unlimited replayability to Connected Franchise.

Random Branching Storylines
    Rookie Branching Storylines are now completely random. This allows us to have more players change throughout the season, and also opens up the ability to have a lot more commentary during the NFL Draft. All storylines are based on the storylines we’ve added to the game over the last two years.

In-Game Overall Ratings
    Another big change in Madden NFL 15 is seeing the same overall (OVR) ratings in game as the depth chart. If a QB is an 85 overall in your scheme in the front end, they’ll be an 85 OVR in game as well.

Completely ReDesigned Relocation Uniforms
    The uniforms shipped with last year were not up to our team’s quality standards, so I took it upon myself this year to learn how to make uniforms in Madden and redesign every relocation uniform in CFM.

You’ll no longer see the same uniform style for every team; each team has different styles that reflect what future uniforms might look like. We also were very excited to work with the community in the Uniform Design Contest, and incorporated several of the winners’ designs into the game.

Redesigned Buy Packages Screen
    One of my favorite changes this year makes it easier to buy packages as a player, coach or owner. Players can now buy multiple packages at once and commit to changes with one press of a button instead of having to buy one package at a time like previous Madden games. We’re hoping this change makes it easier to upgrade players going forward. We’ve also added a filter to the coach buy package screen that should allow for easier navigation.

Owner Mode Financial Model Changes
    Our team listened carefully to fans, and made big changes to Owner Mode. Every sellable item (concessions, merchandise) now has a sweet spot that determines the maximum amount of profit that can be earned. If prices stay at their default levels, you will always leave money on the table.

Owner Mode is now much more challenging when it comes to making a profit, and teams with older stadiums in smaller markets may be better off building new stadiums or relocating altogether.

As always, the best solution in Owner Mode is winning. Win and the fans will spend money. Our goal was to make Owner Mode much more challenging this year, and we feel like we’ve accomplished that.

Sim To
    One of Madden 15’s late additions is very helpful to players that like to simulate multiple seasons at a time. Players can sim to a point in the future (the next draft, the offseason, next season), and the game will advance weeks until it reaches that point. We even added an option to simulate ten years into the future! In online leagues, only commissioners can simulate to a point in the future.

Removed FOURTH Down Watching
    Last year, Madden kept you on the field on fourth down if you were a holder on extra points or blocker on a field goal. We’ve removed that, creating a more seamless experience.

Progression/Regression Recap
    We’ve added a screen that tracks when players regress or progress in Connected Franchise. This should provide clarity as to why player regress in the offseason, whether it’s failing to reach season goals or losing a step because of old age. There are also news stories that talk about players “losing a step.”

Redesigned Weekly Goals
    Weekly goals for players and coaches have been completely revamped with refreshed goals that, react to player status, team ratings, types of games, etc. Goals now take into account where you are in the depth chart. You will no longer be expected to rush for 100 yards as the third-string running back.

Multiple Commissioners
    The team sat down early in the development cycle with our EA SPORTS Game Changers, and one of the things that came out of that meeting was a new commissioner tool. Online commissioners can now assign other league users as commissioners so that you always have someone who can advance the league if the primary commissioner is away.

Autopilot Control
    Another suggestion that came out of our discussions with the Game Changers was allowing players to determine how long to put a team on autopilot. If you’re going on vacation for one week and want autopilot to turn off after one week, you have that ability.

Relocation Tuning and League Setting
    Along with creating all new uniforms, we tuned CPU relocation so that it very rarely happens early in CFM. Teams still rebuild stadiums in their home city, but it’s pretty rare for a CPU team to up and move. At the request of the Game Changers, we also added an additional setting that allows you to prohibit CPU teams from relocating at all.

Injured Reserve (IR) Changes
    Users can now remove an injured player from IR if they heal quickly. Use this functionality carefully, as it’s only allowed once per season.

Hire/Fire Staff During the Season
    In order to give owners more control, it’s now possible to hire or fire staff members (head coach, trainer or scout) during the season.

Pro Bowl Update
    The Pro Bowl now mimics real life, as conference affiliations have been removed in favor of two legends serving as captains.

CPU Uses Alternate Uniforms
    CPU teams now have a chance to wear alternate uniforms in a regular season game. There’s also a news story that reacts to the team doing it.

Sim Engine Changes
    The simulation engine now includes things like consistency, confidence and development. In Madden 15, young players with great development traits will have slightly better “simmed” stats than normal. This allows great young players to progress quickly and become stars in the league.

There you have it! We’ve made tons of changes to Connected Franchise Mode in Madden NFL, and we’re already at work on designing ideas for next year’s game!

Also: VSN Interview with Josh Looman

Last edited by cdj; 08-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.

That all sounds really cool

Some of these additions are really nice, but practically nothing about presentation within the stale disconnected franchise mode except the game notifies you when the CPU is wearing an alternate uniform. Fake coordinators and position coaches(those aren't the Browns real coaches) who only give suggestions during game prep is weak.

Like I said some pretty good things in M15, but very disappointed in practically the same off-season and presentation.

The lack of in-studio updates, a dynamic score ticker, complete editing during CFM (like M12), editing or creating draft classes, and actual NFL draft combine with scouting results displayed for all prospects has me passing on Madden this year. Maybe next year the presentation and real depth will come to the Franchise mode so this incredibly stale league feels alive instead of a series of play now games.

Things I really like:

-fixing of the IR... great!
    -hiring/firing head coach/trainer/scout during the season... great!
    -improved unis for relocation... good!
    -less teams moving in relocation... great!
    -easier/faster progression... great
    -ratings the same in game as they are out of game... great!

Indifferent:

-Random draft classes doesn't impact me as I only play offline CFM
    -If you cannot actually play the Pro Bowl then who cares if it's updated?
    -Online got a lot of love... but i don't play the mode so...

Further questions:

Q. Can we actually higher coordinator, and specific position coaches??? I suspect not because it wasn't mentioned but I notice in the training screens they have position coaches providing input.

Q. Will confidence be overdone? Does confidence replace DPP?

Concerns for items not addressed:
    -rookie captain patches???
    -formation subs which stick from week-to-week???
    -pre-season logic for playing time???
    -general feeling of isolation during the season???

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
    Like I said some pretty good things in M15, but very disappointed in practically the same off-season and presentation.

The lack of in-studio updates, a dynamic score ticker, complete editing during CFM (like M12), editing or creating draft classes, and actual NFL draft combine with scouting results displayed for all prospects has me passing on Madden this year. Maybe next year the presentation and real depth will come to the Franchise mode so this incredibly stale league feels alive instead of a series of play now games.
    I agree completely about Madden feeling like a series of play now games. If only Madden could adopt NCAA 14's ticker and studio updates the game would feel so much more connected.

I like the confidence and changes to practice. Practice was PAINFUL the last couple years. So boring. The gauntlet like drills look fun.

I'd like to see Studio updates and a weekly wrap up show. I'd love to see formation subs too. I hope free agent money is more realistic as I want to be challenged by the cap.

NFL doesn't really do studio updates in real life. ESPN only broadcasts Monday Night Football

CBS and Fox I haven't noticed of doing them much either, other than to show big plays.

That's a big part of College Football but I can't say I've noticed during watching NFL games much.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    NFL doesn't really do studio updates in real life. ESPN only broadcasts Monday Night Football

CBS and Fox I haven't noticed of doing them much either, other than to show big plays.

That's a big part of College Football but I can't say I've noticed during watching NFL games much.
    I got the NFL Sunday Ticket so I watch numerous Fox and CBS games each week and every single game has updates from around the league(Game breaks I believe they are called and usually sponsored by companies like McDonald's or Verizon). Plus the scrolling ticker includes scores and player stats across the bottom of every broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post

Traditional updates like in CFB, no. However, in this Fantasy Football driven world, I would like to see a ticker and NFL RedZone with Scott Hanson added for the studio update aspect.

For Sunday night, Monday night or midweek games, it could give a quick recap of completed games or mention upcpming games. The lack of traditional updates would make that game feel bigger as it's the only thing going on.

In my dream world, it would come complete with the rare #quadboxsighting.

The games within Madden's franchise mode have always felt so damn dry and disconnected. Something like this would help immensely IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
    I got the NFL Sunday Ticket so I watch numerous Fox and CBS games each week and every single game has updates from around the league(Game breaks I believe they are called and usually sponsored by companies like McDonald's or Verizon). Plus the scrolling ticker includes scores and player stats across the bottom of every broadcast.
    I too have had Sunday Ticket for past 8 years just haven't recalled studio updates. Typically breaks in game I turned to the 2nd game I'm watching along with the Steelers game. Know of the redzone channel and them showing replays of big plays that may have happened in another game, just didn't recall seeing studio updates before.

Don't play much CFM so of course the mode doesn't particular mean much to me lol

It would be nice to get replays actually using a broadcast or pressbox cam! Two of those shots are nice but every Madden replay zooms in to show off graphics rather than be informative or authentic, especially for passing plays.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Traditional updates like in CFB, no. However, in this Fantasy Football driven world, I would like to see a ticker and NFL RedZone with Scott Hanson added for the studio update aspect.

For Sunday night, Monday night or midweek games, it could give a quick recap of completed games or mention upcpming games. The lack of traditional updates would make that game feel bigger as it's the only thing going on.

In my dream world, it would come complete with the rare #quadboxsighting.

The games within Madden's franchise mode have always felt so damn dry and disconnected. Something like this would help immensely IMO.
    I agree 100%. I really thought Madden 10 was on the right path. The Extra Point helped me connect to the league in ways I hadn't since Madden 06. They had the framework for something special but in Madden 11 all they changed was a big, annoying Verizon logo that cut off the intro and it was completely removed in Madden 12.

I ascertain that turning back the clock to Madden 10 and re-tooling The Extra Point weekly wrap up show would be a major step in bringing "connected" back into connected franchise. The great irony is that a mode meant to connect you to the NFL makes you feel entirely isolated and alone. The NFL is such an excellent television product. It's shocking that Madden NFL doesn't try and recreate the televised aspects of what makes the NFL great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post

It would be nice to get replays actually using a broadcast or pressbox cam! Two of those shots are nice but every Madden replay zooms in to show off graphics rather than be informative or authentic, especially for passing plays.
    The zooming in has always annoyed me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

It's funny watching the OS reactions to this CFM blog. At first it was a total love fest with "instant buy" commentary. As they day has progressed a number of people have come back to the "dark side." No editable draft classes, concerns over over-powered confidedence, costmetic items such as position coaches and the pro bowl (can't hire position coaches or play the Pro Bowl) no practise roster, and no recognition of legacy issues such as formation subs and auto subs are major topics of conversation.

Oops forgot to mention that in the interview with Mr. Bill it was stated that QB position minimums were in again. Meaning you must carry THREE QB's for every game. I'm not sure if position minimums are back for all positions though? Did anyone here that? I will be upset if position minimums across the board are back. Why do you need a fullback as an example when multiple teams in the NFL last year did not have any fullbacks on their rosters???

Edit: there now appears to be some conjecture that you in fact do NOT need three QB's and that position minimums are NOT mandatory.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 08-06-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Great article from Tradition Sports.

http://traditionsportsonline.com/thr...-means.111768/

Some new nugget of info. Apparently scouting is now easier to learn more stuff about a player, etc.