Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: Smooth Pancakes' Shortstop RTTS Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    I don't get the logic of where the cpu puts human players for hitting. I am always 3rd or cleanup but I don't have the power to back it up.

Yeah, a move down the roster for me probably wouldn't hurt. at least right now while I'm sucking. I'm definitely not lead off material. Goose has the power to bat third, but he doesn't have the consistency and isn't getting the hits needed from that spot.

#TheScriptIsDead

Back home for a four game series against Springfield, Tulsa would again be in control of their fate as they would need to start reeling of some wins to get back into the division picture. This time around, the bats would come alive this series as the Drillers would steal three games from the Cardinals and close the gap in the division to just 10 games.

Tulsa 7, Springfield 3
    Springfield 2, Tulsa 1
    Tulsa 9, Springfield 4
    Tulsa 9, Springfield 2

First game of the series would see Goose in his normal third slot in the batting order. Goose would come up for the first time in the bottom of the first with two outs and no one on, where he would end up grounding out to the shortstop to end the inning. Goose would get his next chance in the bottom of the fourth inning with one out and no one on. After smoking a change up left hanging high down the right field line, unfortunately foul, Goose would settle for a line drive up the gap into center field for a single. A single up the first base line by Corey Dickerson would advance Goose to third base to put runners on the corners with one out. Unfortunately a strikeout and a ground out would end the inning and strand Goose at third. Goose would get his next chance at-bat in the bottom of the sixth inning with one out and a runner on first. Another line drive, this time in the gap into right field, would give Goose his first two-hit game since April 30th against Arkansas (a 10 game, 12 day span between two hit games) and would put runners at first and second. Some sloppy pitching would see Corey Dickerson walked next, loading the bases with one out for Rosell Herrera. A huge line drive single up the first base line would score the run from third as well as Goose and move the runner on first over to third. We would explode offensively that inning and drive in two more runs before the final out could be gained. Goose would get back to the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning with two outs and no one on base. Unfortunately a ground out to the first baseman would end the inning. That would end up being his final at-bat as the Drillers wouldn't need to bat in the bottom of the ninth. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with two singles, a run and stolen base.

The second game of the series would find Goose riding the bench, presumably for a day of rest. Goose would come on as a pinch hitter to lead off the bottom half of the seventh inning in a tied game. Goose would make the most of his chance with a shot through the gap into left field to put the lead off runner on. A bunt by Rafael Ynoa would advance Goose to second base, although picking up the first out of the inning. Jason Pridie would end up flying out to left field, but a sprint by Goose would be the throw in, leaving Goose standing on third base with two outs for Corey Dickerson. Goose would end up stranded on third as Dickerson would proceed to strikeout to end the inning. That would be all for Goose today as he would end 1-1 with a single.

The third game of the series would see Goose return to the lineup, batting third in the order. Goose would get his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs and no one on. Goose would unload on a first pitch fastball left high, NEARLY sending it out of the park, instead bouncing it off of the very top of the center field wall. Thanks to the ball bouncing off and going past the center and right fielders, as well as thanks to the slow throw-in to the cut off man, Goose was able to turn a double into a triple. Two straight walks to Corey Dickerson and Rafael Ynoa would load the bases, leaving it in the hands of Brandon Barnes to drive Goose in. Unbelievably, Goose would end up being to blame for the end of the inning as he would get picked off at third base after a failed catch by the catcher, Goose briefly take a couple steps towards home before trying to retreat upon seeing that the ball didn't get behind the catcher, only to have the throw from home to third beat him. That is one that will haunt Goose and end up on the blooper reels, especially considering Barnes lead off the next inning with a double. Goose would get his next chance in the bottom of the third inning, coming up with no outs and runners on first and second thanks to back to back singles to lead off the inning. A solid hit into center field would result in an RBI single, driving in the first run of the game and still leaving runners on first and second. The spree of singles would continue as Corey Dickerson would also send a pitch into center field, scoring Rosell Herrera from second, advancing Goose to second and leaving runners at first and second with no outs for Rafael Ynoa. Ynoa would blast a pitch off the right-center field wall for a two RBI triple, scoring Goose from second and opening the floodgates for a 5 run third inning. Thanks to the huge third inning that saw us bat around for the entire order, Goose would come back up to bat in the bottom of the fourth inning with one out and no one on. Goose would luck out with an infield single after bouncing the ball off of the pitchers right ankle. Thanks to some luck, that would give Goose his first three hit game since April 15th against San Antonio (a 22 game, 29 day span between 3 hit games). A stolen base would advance Goose to second. A single into center field by Corey Dickerson would see Goose sprint from second to score his second run of the game to further pad our lead. In a day of absolute offensive power, Goose would return to the plate for the third inning a row, this time the bottom of the fifth inning with the bases loaded and one out. Goose would come, Goose would see, Goose would CONQUER with a first pitch line drive single into center field, driving in two runs and leaving runners at the corners, giving Goose his first four hit game of his baseball career. Corey Dickerson would fly out to center field, deep enough to score the runner from third to leave two outs and Goose the lone runner at first base. In a continuation of the poor day on the bases, Goose would get picked off at first base by the pitcher, ending the fifth inning. Despite the streak of consecutive innings ending, Goose would still get back up to the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning, coming up with two outs and a runner on third. Unfortunately, Goose's day of perfection at the plate would come to an end as he would bite on a low change-up to strike out to end the inning in his final at-bat. Final stats for Goose, an explosive day would see him go 4-5 with three singles, a triple and a strikeout, score two runs, drive in 3 RBIs and pick up a stolen base (to go along with the negative of being picked off twice), earning Goose player of the game honors.

The fourth and final game of the series would see little change as Goose would again bat third in the order. Goose would come up for his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with one out and a runner on first. Maybe suffering a bit of a post game hangover from the previous night, Goose would pop out to the third baseman for an uneventful at-bat. Goose would lead off the bottom of the third inning, but he would continue to struggle today with a pop out to the shortstop. Goose would get his next chance at the plate in the bottom of the fourth inning, coming up with two outs and no one on, only to proceed to pop out to the catcher. Goose would return to the plate in the bottom of the sixth inning with two outs and a runner on second. Goose would finally end his struggles today with a ground ball single through the gap into right field, good enough to score the runner from second. A ground out to first by Jason Pridie would end the inning. Unfortunately, that would be the final at-bat for Goose in the game, as he would end up watching Brandon Barnes strikeout to end the eighth inning from the on-deck circle. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-4 with a single and popouts to third, to shortstop and to the catcher. He would also end with an RBI

Final series stats for Goose, he would start three games of the series, batting third in the batting order in all three starts. Goose would find his groove to bat .571 for the series, going 8-14 with seven singles and a triple, three runs scored, four RBIs, two stolen bases and a strikeout, as well as earning player of the game honors in the third game of the series for his massive 4 for 5 performance.

Next up for the Tulsa Drillers, it's a split series with the Northwest Arkansas Naturals, playing the first two games on the road and the last two games at home, then we take a break from division play with two three game series (away then home) against both Frisco and Midland. Thanks to those three wins, Tulsa would pull within 10 games of first place Springfield, and get within four games of third place Arkansas.

Just a quick note, semi-related/semi-off topic. I'm planning on reviving my Colorado Rockies franchise.

Unfortunately it got left behind last year as I went on a bit of a gaming hiatus in the last summer and never picked it back up. However, only having gotten two games into the season, I think I'm gonna restart it as a new franchise on MLB 15. It sounds like there have been some potential bugs or issues with year to year saves, so still being at the very beginning, screw it, I'll just restart fresh.

I'm gonna drop the individual game summaries (if I hope to play multiple 162 game seasons, I'm gonna have to go more steeler's route of entire series summaries.

I'll probably be reviving it on the coming days or weeks. I'm debating on using the OSFM rosters or waiting and using the OS Hybrid rosters. Haven't made up my mind yet. If I just use OSFM, I'll probably revive it by mid-week, otherwise it'll be a couple weeks yet while waiting on the Hybrid rosters to be released.

#TheScriptIsDead

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Just a quick note, semi-related/semi-off topic. I'm planning on reviving my Colorado Rockies franchise.

Unfortunately it got left behind last year as I went on a bit of a gaming hiatus in the last summer and never picked it back up. However, only having gotten two games into the season, I think I'm gonna restart it as a new franchise on MLB 15. It sounds like there have been some potential bugs or issues with year to year saves, so still being at the very beginning, screw it, I'll just restart fresh.

I'm gonna drop the individual game summaries (if I hope to play multiple 162 game seasons, I'm gonna have to go more steeler's route of entire series summaries.

I'll probably be reviving it on the coming days or weeks. I'm debating on using the OSFM rosters or waiting and using the OS Hybrid rosters. Haven't made up my mind yet. If I just use OSFM, I'll probably revive it by mid-week, otherwise it'll be a couple weeks yet while waiting on the Hybrid rosters to be released.

#TheScriptIsDead
    What bugs have you head about? The only issue I have heard is the retired players issue being replaced by generics.

Q. 2... The Rockies again or are you going to switch it up?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    What bugs have you head about? The only issue I have heard is the retired players issue being replaced by generics.

Q. 2... The Rockies again or are you going to switch it up?
    There was that (which according to the developers, that was because of their contract with MLB and the licenses determining who is part of the player's association and what not), there was an issue with carried over saves rewriting your 15 profile with your 14 profile, an issue with end of year awards. For the OSFM rosters, when the guys are making them, they put injured players (as of opening day) in Single A on the roster, then you can make any moves as needed in your franchise. There appears to be an issue with Y2Y saves where players like Aroldis Chapman and others, who started the season in Single A due to injury on the OSFM rosters, may end up replaced with random created players in 15, so Single A players may not carry over.

Some other issues that have been noted (may not necessarily be solely because of Y2Y saves, but possible ties to them include default weather always being clear skies (never any variation, forcing the user to manually pick different weather options if they want them instead of the game randomly deciding). There is also a random bug that some people have had with every game being presented as the Opening Day game, and someone hitting a home run and it being presented as their first career home run in their first career game (despite having over 150 home runs in their career). Also mentioned has been people still having Petco Park as the site of the 2015 All-Star Game, not Great American Ballpark. They would also get an email after the home run derby congratulating them on winning it, despite not even getting out of the first round.

A lot of it could be characterized as minor things and some may or may not be caused directly by Y2Y saves, but all of it added up, sort of ruins the immersion of the franchise. And since I was only two games in, it's not like it'll be a bunch of effort lost restarting.

As for what team, Rockies are still on the list, but I am thinking about maybe switching teams. Similar to NCAA, going outside my comfort zone and running with new and unfamiliar teams sort of adds to the franchise for me on a personal level. Makes it more interesting trying to learn the new players, the new team, the new skills, etc. If I do go with someone other than the Rockies, just based on teams that I would or wouldn't want to play as, plus I want a team with at least a decent farm system so I can work on building them up over the years as well as having trade bait.

If I stay in the National League, I'd probably roll with the Chicago Cubs, as there's not too many others I'd want to play as. I really couldn't care less about the Giants, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Brewers, Mets, etc, you're with the Padres in RTTS, Cardinals, Nationals, Braves, etc are too good for my interest, I want someone who is up and coming or worse.

If I go American League, maybe the Cleveland Indians (decent team that is missing one or two players for a playoff run, with some stars and some future big name players on the farm system), the Detroit Tigers (a team with aging stars and a barren dustbowl for a farm system, who may have reached their peak for playoffs/World Series a year or two ago and now will be headed downhill until they enter rebuilding) or the Toronto Blue Jays (a team also with some aging stars, but some good young players and a couple good prospects to either help build up or use as trade bait).

The Braves are not too good, especially with the moves they just made. They're projected by most to be 5th in their division.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    The Braves are not too good, especially with the moves they just made. They're projected by most to be 5th in their division.
    Yeah. The Braves are in full-on rebuild. They're tearing it down work the goal of getting good again when they move into their new park.

Huh, I was under the impression they would have a chance at contending this year, of course I really haven't paid too close of attention to the Braves or NL teams outside of the Rockies.

Alright, so I'll include the Braves as an option as well. If I don't stick as Rockies, the Cubs or Braves in the NL and the Blue Jays, Indians or Tigers in the AL are the teams under consideration.

#TheScriptIsDead

Alright, so I've taken a bit closer look at things. Using the OSFM v1 rosters, I can probably eliminate the Blue Jays. They have an overall rank of 10th, rank 7th in power (though they suck in most other rankings), and have a yearly goal of winning division and a contact goal of winning the world series. So I must have been underestimating the Blue Jays in terms of where their team is at.

I'm also going to eliminate the Tigers. While they rank 26th overall, they have stat rankings of 6th in contact, 22nd in power, 16th in speed, 7th in fielding and 5th in pitching, with a yearly goal of winning the division and a contract goal of winning the division series. While their farm system does suck as pretty much one of the most barren in baseball, they are still too much of a power team in the majors.

And sort of surprisingly, the Rockies are at least ranked well in a lot of things, ranked 9th overall, 1st in contact, 3rd in power, 22nd in speed, 11 in fielding and a crappy 29th in pitching, with a yearly goal of reaching the postseason and a contract goal of winning a league pennant, so I think I will go ahead and cross the Rockies off the list.

While the Cubs are only ranked 13th overall, with unimpressive ratings of 17th contact, 21st power, 18th speed, 24th fielding and 19th pitching, they do have a yearly goal of reaching the postseason and a contract goal of winning a division series, so even the game recognizes the beast of a farm system they have. That's sort of the thing putting me off the Cubs, they have what is widely considered the top farm system in all of baseball, if not number one, a very close number two. I have a feeling it'd get too easy a season or two down the road as those prospects start to rise in talent and come up to the major league roster.

So that pretty much leaves me deciding between Atlanta (who seriously dropped off a bloody cliff faster than I realized) and Cleveland.

Atlanta is ranked dead last, 30th overall franchise in the game, 22nd contact, 29th power, 6th speed (so I'd have to play a lot of small ball most likely) 6th fielding and 28th pitching. They have a yearly goal of finishing over .500 and a contract goal of reaching the postseason. Pitching, despite being ranked 28th pitching by the game, they actually look decent. For Starters, Julio Teheran (24, 84 OVR/A POT), Alex Wood (24, 82 OVR/B POT), Shelby Miller (24, 80 OVR/B POT), Trevor Cahill (27, 72 OVR/C POT), Cody Martin (24, 70 OVR/B POT) and Mike Foltynewicz (23, 76 OVR/B POT). Go even further down into double A and single A, there's Matt Wisler (22, 75 OVR/A POT) and Mike Minor (27, 81 OVR/B POT). Relief pitching will be the killer. Only two good relievers in the organization, Luis Avilan (25, 75 OVR/C POT) and Shae Simmons (24, 71 OVR/B POT), everyone else blows.

Position players, a lot of aged players like AJ Pierzynski (38 YO) with some questionable backups at catcher, Johnny Gomes (34, 71 OVR/C POT) with absolutely no suitable backups/replacements in left field, an aging Eric Young Jr (29, but only 77 OVR/C POT) with against no real replacements in center field and Nick Markakis (31, 81 OVR/B POT) with no one in a hope's dream of replacing him in right field. Basically the three aging starters in the outfield are all I would have. There is pretty much no suitable replacements for them and I would have to completely rebuild an outfield via either trades, free agency or the draft. The good for Atlanta in terms of stars is pretty much only Freddie Freeman (25, 84 OVR/ A POT) and Adrelton Simmons (25, 84 OVR/B POT).

Cleveland is ranked the 28th overall franchise in the game, 15th contact, 15th power, 20th speed (so I have options between small ball or going for power hits), 13th fielding and 21st pitching. They have a yearly goal of finishing over .500 and a contract goal of reaching the postseason. Pitching definitely blows. Only true good starters are Corey Kluber (28, 90 OVR/B POT), Carlos Carrasco (28, 82 OVR/C POT), Trevor Bauer (24, 77 OVR/B POT), and Danny Salazar (25, 81 OVR, B POT). Everyone else is in their 30s, mid-70s or lower and pretty much only C or D potential ratings. Bryan Shaw is pretty much the only good long term relief pitcher (27, 76 OVR/C POT), everyone else is really low OVR and horrible potential.

Position players, got some good bats and some guys that I can get at least a couple years out of (Carlos Santana, Nick Swisher, Jason Kipnis, Yan Gomes, Francisco Lindor and Michael Brantley). Farm system is a little dryer than I thought, a LOT of low 60s and 50s OVR players with a lot of C and D potentials that may or may not be any use a couple seasons down the road.

Have to admit I don't understand Cleveland's rankings at all. You are talking about the 15 rosters, right? Or are you looking at 14 and they were just terribly underrated last year ... because this year they're projected to win the Central.

If you like small ball, what about the Royals?

Yeah, some of these definitely seem off. Cleveland was a good team last year, so having a goal of reaching .500 seems strange. This is using OSFM rosters in MLB 15.

Of course, looking at that Grantland article, the game may not still be too far off from real predictions. Even Grantland is only predicting them to go around 84-78 this year. 3 games over .500 still fits in with MLB 15 having a yearly goal of reaching .500.

Being the 28th overall franchise though, that seems way out of place.

#TheScriptIsDead

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Have to admit I don't understand Cleveland's rankings at all. You are talking about the 15 rosters, right? Or are you looking at 14 and they were just terribly underrated last year ... because this year they're projected to win the Central.

If you like small ball, what about the Royals?
    Some are picking Cleveland as a World Series team (that's a bit hasty, imo). They definitely have the starting pitching.

All I know is that if you want a team that is crap in THE SHOW, choose the Padres. Man they are awful in this game!

All I know is that if you want a team that is crap in THE SHOW, choose the Padres. Man they are awful in this game!
    They completely overhauled their roster over the winter. They made more moves than any other club. I'm quite certain the look alot different on 15.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Some are picking Cleveland as a World Series team (that's a bit hasty, imo). They definitely have the starting pitching.
    Agreed on the series, though the AL doesn't seem to have any real dominant teams this year ... but if they can win the Central then they obviously have a chance.

Alright, after thinking about it, since it looks like Cleveland is projected to be better in real life this year than the game projects, I'll go ahead and go with the worst of the two. So, I'll be restarting my Franchise with the Atlanta Braves. This ought to be interesting.

I'll shoot for getting it started maybe this weekend, as soon as I can decide on which rosters I feel like using.

This next series, against Northwest Arkansas, is actually being considered two separate series in the game, a two game series on the road and a two game series at home. For simplicity's sake, I'll be combining all four games into a single series in this post.

Sitting 10 games back on the Springfield Cardinals, after taking three of four against them in the previous series, the Drillers would now get a chance to not only hopefully close the gap further, but also screw up Northwest Arkansas' hopes as they sit just four games back of Springfield entering the game. Despite taking the first two games of the series, Northwest Arkansas would return the favor in the final two games, and we would be right back to the beginning, 10 games behind Springfield, as if nothing had changed.

Tulsa 3, Northwest Arkansas 2
    Tulsa 6, Northwest Arkansas 3
    Northwest Arkansas 10, Tulsa 1
    Northwest Arkansas 5, Tulsa 4

First game of the series would be a no show for Goose as he would get a day of rest, watching the entire game from the bench.

The second game of the series would find Goose back in the lineup, batting third in the order. Goose would come up for his first at-bat in the top of the first inning with two outs and the bases empty. After swinging and missing at a slider low and outside, Goose would manage to keep the bat on his shoulder as he would watch four straight balls for a walk. Unfortunately Goose would end up stranded at first. Goose would return in the top of the third inning with two outs and no one on. Goose wouldn't make it on base this time, grounding out to the first baseman to end the top of the inning. Goose's next at-bat would come in the top of the sixth inning with one out and no one on. It would be a short lived at-bat as he would unload on a first pitch strike left up in the zone, only to fly out to the center fielder. Goose would come up for his last at-bat in the top of the ninth inning with no one out and a runner on first. Goose would get his first hit of the game in crowd silencing fashion, sending a first pitch fastball rocketing out of the stadium in right field for a two run home run to break a 3-3 tie and send us onto victory, as well as pushing Goose's hitting streak to 15 games. Unfortunately Ryan Casteel would steal player of the game honors over Goose thanks to his own home run and 3 RBIs. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-3 with a home run, a walk, a run scored and two RBI.

The third game of the series would see Goose remain third in the batting order. He would get his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs and no one on. Goose would get on base after dropping a bloop single right in front of the left fielder. Unfortunately the next batter would hit to the shortstop to cause the force out at second to end the inning. Goose would come up next in the bottom of the third inning with one out and no one on, a drastically different game after Northwest Arkansas would score 5 runs in the top of the inning, thanks to our crap pitching giving up five bloody walks in the goddamn inning. Despite working a couple balls out of the pitcher, Goose would end up sending a high fastball into right field for a fly out. Goose would get his next chance in the bottom of the fifth inning with two outs and no one on, but would end up striking out to end the inning. Goose would get his final at-bat in the bottom of the eighth inning with one out and no one on, and despite working a good 7 pitches out of the pitcher, he would end up striking out on a change up. Miserable final stats for Goose, 1-4 with a single and two strikeouts.

Side note, our pitchers SUCK! 10 goddamn walks issued by three pitchers this game. They all only lasted 3.0 innings, the first two gave up 5 runs each. Then you look at Northwest Arkansas' pitcher, he pitched a complete game, gave up 7 hits, one run, two walks and 5 strikeouts. We either need some new pitchers or I need a new team.

The fourth and final game of the series would see little change as Goose would again bat third in the order. Goose would come up in the bottom of the first inning with one out and a runner on first. Goose would send a high fastball into right field for an easy single, putting runners on first and second, but a strikeout and a pop out would end the inning. Goose would get tagged with an error in the field in the top of the second inning, throwing the ball over the first baseman's head on a put out attempt at first. Thankfully a double play would get us out of the inning without any damage. Goose would return to the plate leading off the bottom of the fourth inning. Goose would get things off to a great start with a stand up double off the right field wall to put the lead runner on for the inning. After a strikeout by the next batter, a ground out to the third baseman would see Goose advance to third on the play. Third base would be as far as Goose would get as a second ground out to third would end the inning. Goose would return to the plate in the bottom of the sixth inning with one out and a runner on first. A pop up in the infield would end Goose's at-bat. Goose would get his final chance in the game in the bottom of the eighth inning, coming up with one out and a runner on first. Northwest Arkansas' starting pitcher was still in the game, approaching 110 pitches thrown. Goose would make the manager regret that decision as he would unload on a fastball left hanging in the middle of the zone, sending it straight into the gap between right and center field, all the way to the wall, giving Goose a stand up triple and one RBI. An infield single by Corey Dickerson would be enough to score Goose from third. Despite our best efforts, putting up four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, we would end up one run short of tying the game. Final stats for Goose, 3-4 with a single, a double and a triple, one run scored and one RBI.

Final series stats for Goose, he would play in the final three games of the series, starting and batting third in the batting order in all three games. After a slow start, Goose would breakout in the third game. He would bat .455 for the series, going 5-11 with two singles, a double, a triple, a home run, a walk, two runs scored, three RBIs and two strikeouts, along with a fielding error in the third game.

Next up for the Tulsa Drillers, it's a break from division play as we spend the next 12 games against the Frisco Roughriders and the Midland Rockhounds. We start with a three game series on the road against both Frisco and Midland, before returning home to play a three game series against both to close out the month of May.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Alright, after thinking about it, since it looks like Cleveland is projected to be better in real life this year than the game projects, I'll go ahead and go with the worst of the two. So, I'll be restarting my Franchise with the Atlanta Braves. This ought to be interesting.

I'll shoot for getting it started maybe this weekend, as soon as I can decide on which rosters I feel like using.
    Wow! In real life Atl has come flying out of the gate. 6-1... nice start! So their game rank is a lot lower huh? Well good luck buddy. Looking forward to the updates. Let us know if you do any streaming.

Wow! In real life Atl has come flying out of the gate. 6-1... nice start! So their game rank is a lot lower huh? Well good luck buddy. Looking forward to the updates. Let us know if you do any streaming.
    Well, to be fair, so has Colorado, and we all know how that usually pans out most seasons.

#TheScriptIsDead