Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: Smooth Pancakes' Shortstop RTTS Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Well, now I'm starting to have some second thoughts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I've been thinking about it for the past couple days, and looking through the Atlanta organization to get a feel for their players and farm system, and there's just not really any pull there. I'm looking through their 40 man rosters, their AAA and AA teams and depth charts, and I'm just not finding any care for their players, for the team, etc. I don't really care much for the team, the players, even the jerseys and uniforms just, meh.

Even the rivals, I couldn't care less about. I don't know a single thing about Miami and don't care about them one way or the other, don't really care about the Nationals or Phillies (other than following Chad Billingsley) unless it's Colorado playing them. Even the Mets, I actually very loosely follow the Mets because Jon Niese, a pitcher for them, I went to school with and played baseball with growing up, so I loosely follow the Mets just to see how Niese does throughout the season (same thing, previously with the LA Dodgers and now with the Phillies, with Chad Billingsley, though I hate the Dodgers as an organization).

There's just not that love/hate thing with Atlanta and their rivals. I mean, if I get swept by the Mets, yeah, I'll be upset because I got swept, but I wouldn't feel a thing and probably couldn't care less if the Mets swept the Braves. With the Rockies, I'd be pissed off if I got swept by the Dodgers or the Giants, the Padres or the Diamondbacks.

For NCAA Football, I can get away with not playing as Navy, because the rosters change so much. The roster will change 100% over a four year period, and with most teams, with juniors and seniors likely making up a big portion of your starters or your big named stars, you'll see different names, different players, different stars every 1-2 years as juniors and senior graduate and freshman and sophomores replace them.

With baseball, the rosters really don't change that drastically. The key players, the star players will likely still be there from year to year, the top prospects will likely still be there from year to year, and with needing 6 years of MLB service to become a free agent, the only way a bunch of players will change from season to season is if I go nuts on trades. So I'd be sitting there trying to do a franchise with a roster full of players that I know absolutely nothing about and that I really couldn't care much about.

I don't know. There's a thread over on OS that asks what are the most exciting teams for franchise mode, and over and over, I repeatedly keep seeing the Rockies being mentioned as one of the teams, and every time I see the Rockies mentioned, it keeps making me second guess not staying with the Rockies for my franchise. Even if I were to stick with Atlanta, I'd almost have to have a background franchise with the Rockies running for me to play through. And if I'm going to stretch myself into trying to run two franchises (the Braves posted on here and the Rockies just being run for my own entertainment), I almost may as well just make the Rockies my main, and sole, franchise.

So I don't know, I'll have to think on this some more. I think I sort of rushed into it too quickly, both in regards to eliminating the Rockies and picking the Braves. It'll still be a bit before I get the franchise up and running, I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to use a 40-man version of the OSFM v1 rosters, wait for the official 40-man OSFM v2 rosters (hopefully out in a week or two) or wait for the full blown Hybrid rosters to be released, god knows when, maybe in 2-3 weeks if they get things knocked out fast. So while I decide on which rosters I want to use, I'll keep thinking about whether I'll stick with the Braves (if I can work myself up into actually caring about their players and their rivals) or if I'll go back to the Rockies as I originally had intended on.

Still remaining 10 games back on the Springfield Cardinals following our series split with Northwest Arkansas, we would step out of division play for our next 12 games, starting with a three game series on the road at Frisco, followed by a three game trip to Midland. Seeing as this would be our first games against both teams, our hopes for some good games against the unknown opponent would turn out answered, as we would sweep the Rough Riders.

Tulsa 10, Frisco 7
    Tulsa 7, Frisco 3
    Tulsa 7, Frisco 2

First game of the series would see a shuffling in the batting order as Goose would be bumped up to first in the lineup. If batting practice were to be an indication, this could be a long game for Goose. He would make his first appearance at the plate, leading off the top of the first inning. Maybe batting practice wouldn't be an indication of anything, as Goose would turn on a 1-1 fastball and send it launching high as hell into right-center field. The wind blowing in from center field kept it from being a home run, but neither the center field nor the right fielder were able to come down with the catch, as it landed in the dirt between them and the wall. Thanks to the high trajectory the ball took and Goose's speed, he was able to turn the hit into a triple before the Rough Riders could get the ball back into the infield. One batter later, Goose would score the first run of the game thanks to a single down the first base line by Jason Pridie. Goose would return to the plate leading off the top of the third inning. Unfortunately this time it would end with little fanfare in a fly out to the center fielder. Goose would get his next chance in the top of the fourth inning, stepping in with two outs and a runner on first, but he would end up striking out to end the top half of the inning. Goose would come up next in the top of the sixth inning with one out and the bases empty. Despite working a 3-1 count out of the pitcher, the at-bat would ultimately go for nothing as Goose would fly out to the right fielder at the warning track. Goose would get his final chance at the plate in the top of the eighth inning with one out and a runner on first base. It would be another poor at-bat as he would hit into a fielder's choice at first base, the lead runner thrown out at second base while Goose would just beat the potential double play throw to first to get on base for the second time today, at the cost of the second out of the inning, but the next batter would ground out to send it back onto the field. Turns out I was wrong, thanks to a two run home run by Frisco in the bottom of the ninth inning, we would head into extra innings, where Goose would come up to the plate in the top of the tenth inning with one out and runners on second and third. Apparently Frisco was afraid of Goose, as well as wanting to make home plate a force out, as they intentionally walked him to load the bases with one out and Jason Pridie coming up to the plate. That decision would come back to bite the Rough Riders as Pridie would deflect a ground ball off of the shortstop for a single, scoring the go ahead run and leaving the bases loaded, Goose now standing on second base with Corey Dickerson at the plate and a new pitcher on the mound. Goose would find home plate once more as Dickerson would send a 2-2 pitch into center field for a two RBI single and we would go on on to victory. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-5 with a triple, a walk, a strikeout and two runs scored, along with a stolen base.

The second game of the series would see things return to normal, as Goose would move back to his traditional third slot in the batting order. Goose would come up for his first at-bat in the top of the first inning with no outs and runners on first and second. It would be an unproductive at-bat for Goose as he would go golfing on a curveball and fly out in shallow right field. Goose would get his next chance leading off the top of the third inning. Goose would make up his bad first at-bat, sending a fastball off the right field wall for a stand up double. Jason Pridie would ground out to the pitcher in the next at-bat, but it would be enough to move Goose up to third base with only one out. Goose would end up trotting home as Brandon Barnes would send a 1-2 pitch screaming out of left field for a home run off the scoreboard as we continued to rack up runs early on. Thanks to our batting coming alive this series, Goose would return to the plate the very next inning, leading off the top of the fourth inning as the Drillers proceeded to bat around the order in the third. Goose would again get on base to lead off the inning, this time sending a weak shot into shallow right field for a single. Because the pitcher decided to try and pick off Goose before even throwing a first pitch to the next batter, Goose decided to one up him and would end up stealing second base two pitches later. Thanks to a very unintentional button press, Goose would also steal third base during the next batter's at-bat, catching me entirely by surprise when he suddenly took off sprinting during the delivery. So, that would leave Goose standing on third base, one out and Brandon Barnes at the plate (the home run hitter of the previous inning). Barnes would fly out to right field, Goose tried to beat the throw, but he would end up being about three steps too late, tagged out at home plate to end the top half of the inning thanks to the rocket of an arm on the right fielder. Goose would return to lead off the top of the sixth inning, only to fly out along the right field line. Goose would get his likely final chance at the plate in the top of the eighth inning with no outs and a runner on first, but it would be another piss poor at-bat, popping out to the second baseman. Final stats for Goose, 2-5 with a single and a double, a run scored and two stolen bases.

The third game of the series would see Goose taken out of the line up for a night off.

Final series stats for Goose, he would play in just the first two games of the series. Goose would bat .300 for the series, going 3-10 with a single, a double, a triple, a walk, a strikeout, three runs scored and three stolen bases.

Next up for the Tulsa Drillers, it's back on the road for another three game series, this time against the Midland Rockhounds.

Coming off a great three game stretch against the Frisco Rough Riders, it would be back into action on the road as our Texas swing continued against the Midland Rockhounds, taking two of three out of the series.

Tulsa 4, Midland 2
    Tulsa 8, Midland 2
    Midland 8, Tulsa 6

First game of the series would see Goose return to the lineup, batting third in the order. With such an absurdly low wall in right field, no more than one or two feet off the ground, there would be little doubt Goose would be pushing for at least one home run to right field this series, at the very least a ground rule double. Goose would get his first at-bat of the game in the top of the first inning with one out and a runner on a first, but Goose would end up walking back to the dugout following a fly out to center field. Goose would walk into the exact same situation in the top of the third inning, stepping in with one out and a runner on first base, but the pitcher would get Goose swinging at a change up for a strikeout. Goose would come up next to lead off the top of the fifth inning, but the at-bat would end with another fly out to center field. Goose would step in next in the top of the seventh inning with one out and no one on. This time Goose would not be denied, unloading on an 0-2 fastball low and inside for a no doubt solo home run, blasted deep into the right field stands, Goose's fifth home run of the season. Goose would come back up for his final at-bat in the top of the ninth inning with one out and no one on base. Despite making great contact on the 1-1 pitch, he would end up flying out to deep center field. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-5 with a home run, a strikeout, an RBI and a run scored. That home run would end up barely saving Goose's hitting streak, now at an incredible 20 games.

The second game of the series would find Goose again batting third in the lineup, also the same batting order slot as his counterpart, and likely future superstar, Addison Russell. Thanks to a two run home run by Jason Pridie, Goose would be stepping up to the plate in the top of the first inning with no outs and no one on base in an already 2-0 game. Goose would swing on a first pitch fastball and send it through the gap into right field for a single. Taking off on the second pitch, Goose would slide in well ahead of the throw from home plate for a successful steal of second base, though that apparently didn't please the pitcher as he instantly tried to pick Goose off. Nevertheless, Goose's time on base would be short lived thanks to a stand up double down the left field line to score Goose from second, on our way to a four run first inning. Naturally our pitching would be a let down as Midland would get two runs right back in the second inning. Goose would get his next chance at the plate in the top of the third inning, coming up with no outs and a runner on first. Despite fouling off about 5 straight pitches, Goose would again end up finding the gap into right field for a second single to put runners on first and second with no outs. Corey Dickerson would again drive Goose in for a run, this time with a bases clearing three run home run to right field to extend our lead to five runs. Goose would get his next at-bat in the very next inning, coming up in the top of the fourth inning with one out and Jason Pridie on first base. Thanks to a pitching change that would bring in a guy throwing literally nothing but junk balls, Goose would end up flying out to right field this time around. Goose would get his next change in the top of the sixth inning, coming in with two outs and runners on the corners, and Mr. Junk Ball still standing on the mound. Goose would again be unable to get a clean hit against the crap thrown, grounding out to the first baseman to end the inning. After escaping out of a bases loaded jam in the bottom of the seventh inning, thanks to Goose initially an inning ending double play, he would make his final at-bat of the game in the top of the ninth inning with one out and no one on base, and thankfully a new pitcher on the mound. Swinging at an 0-1 fastball down low, Goose would send that ball sailing out of the park to right-center field for a solo home run, his sixth of the season. Thanks to his three hits and the solo home run, Goose Anderson would be named the player of the game. Final stats for Goose, he would go 3-5 with two singles and a home run, an RBI, a run scored and a stolen base, good enough to earn him player of the game honors.

The third game of the series would see Goose remain third in the batting order. Goose would step in for the first time in the top of the first inning with one out and a runner on second. Unfortunately Goose would fly out to center field. Thanks to a huge showing by the rest of the Drillers, Goose would return to the plate in the top of the second inning with no outs and a runner on first base in a now 4-0 game. Goose would send a 1-0 fastball launched into right field. It was a close one, with the right fielder leaping at the wall, but he wouldn't be tall enough as the ball would land just out of reach on the other side of the tiny right field wall for a two run home run to cap off a 6 run second inning. Goose would return in the top of the fourth inning with one out and no one on base. Despite sending another fast ball rocketing high and far into right field, this one wouldn't have the carry, caught by the outfield on the warning track for a fly out. Goose would get his next at-bat in the top of the sixth inning, stepping in with one out and a runner on first, the game now drastically different as we trailed 7-6 thanks to our crappy pitching giving up 7 runs in the third, fourth and fifth innings. The Rockhounds would again call on the goddamn junkballer to carry them in relief, resulting in Goose missing badly on two pitches before lining out to the second baseman. Goose would get his final chance at the plate, leading off the top of the ninth inning while trailing 8-6. While the junkballer was no longer on the mound, it wouldn't matter as Goose would still end up striking out on a splitter low and away, killing our chance at a sweep. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-5 with a home run, a run scored and two RBI along with a strikeout, as well as a throwing error in the eighth inning.

Final series stats for Goose, he would play and start in all three games of the series. Goose would bat .333 for the series, going 5-15 with two singles, three home runs, two strikeouts, five runs scored, four RBis and one stolen base.

Next up for the Tulsa Drillers, it's back home for another three game series against both Frisco and Midland.

Looking at the standings, having that 5 game winning streak broken killed us as everyone else in the division won their final games. Essentially we made up no ground, remaining nine games back of the Cardinals, three games back of the Naturals (who are six games back of the Cardinals) and two games back of the Travelers (who are seven games back of the Cardinals and one game back of the Naturals). Any playoff hopes we have will likely have to come in the second half of the season. While we do still have 26 games remaining in the first half of the Texas League season, trying to make up nine games against our division opponents will be tough.

I understand your quandary with picking the club to go with for your Franchise. The main thing, to me, is to just make a decision and go. With 162 games to play, there isn't time to mull it over.

I would suggest that you make a choice (go with Colorado if it will help keep your interest) and that you keep your recaps brief. The amount of detail that you give in NCAA is going to be a huge anchor around your neck, in my opinion, assuming you plan to play a full season each year when the new game is released.

I know that it is possible to play a partial season and then carry it over on the next year's version of The Show. However, for me, if I played 50 games a year and was 4 years behind 6 years from now, well I KNOW I would lose interest.

Anyway, just some things to think about. Whatever you decide, I'll be checking in to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I understand your quandary with picking the club to go with for your Franchise. The main thing, to me, is to just make a decision and go. With 162 games to play, there isn't time to mull it over.

I would suggest that you make a choice (go with Colorado if it will help keep your interest) and that you keep your recaps brief. The amount of detail that you give in NCAA is going to be a huge anchor around your neck, in my opinion, assuming you plan to play a full season each year when the new game is released.

I know that it is possible to play a partial season and then carry it over on the next year's version of The Show. However, for me, if I played 50 games a year and was 4 years behind 6 years from now, well I KNOW I would lose interest.

Anyway, just some things to think about. Whatever you decide, I'll be checking in to keep up.
    Yeah, with NCAA, I prefer the play by play game recaps because it lets the reader feel the ups and downs of the games and when it comes to close games, they can they feel the tenseness of each play. Sure, it may take 3-4 hours per game, between playing the game, the play by play recap, the stats, the weekly recap, etc. But I enjoy doing it so it's not a problem. Plus the short seasons.

RTTS, I already have been able to cut things down. I stick pretty much solely to batting and base running for my recap posts. Between having time to type up what happens between pitches while on base, and while the rest of the game is quick simming while I'm not batting or on base, I can knock out entire series in around an hour. It only took two hours, maybe less, to get through both the Frisco and Midland series today.

For Franchise, I'm going to do something similar to your franchise, give the pitching match-ups before the series, playing an entire series at once (or at most spread it out over a day or two if time is an problem) and give a full series recap at once (instead of game by game like I originally had tried to do), giving the runs/hits/errors box score of each game, give a couple sentences on the top two or three hitters for the team, maybe how the starting pitcher did, how the relievers or closers did if they blew the game for us, etc.

With NCAA, only having 12 game seasons (14 if including a CCG and bowl game), I can get away with such long game recaps and taking so long with games because the seasons are so short, allowing me to get through multiple seasons in short time. With a 162 game season in baseball, I'm going to be going the much shorter and condensed route for recaps similar to how you do them, so I can get through games and series much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Well, now I'm starting to have some second thoughts. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. I've been thinking about it for the past couple days, and looking through the Atlanta organization to get a feel for their players and farm system, and there's just not really any pull there. I'm looking through their 40 man rosters, their AAA and AA teams and depth charts, and I'm just not finding any care for their players, for the team, etc. I don't really care much for the team, the players, even the jerseys and uniforms just, meh.

Even the rivals, I couldn't care less about. I don't know a single thing about Miami and don't care about them one way or the other, don't really care about the Nationals or Phillies (other than following Chad Billingsley) unless it's Colorado playing them. Even the Mets, I actually very loosely follow the Mets because Jon Niese, a pitcher for them, I went to school with and played baseball with growing up, so I loosely follow the Mets just to see how Niese does throughout the season (same thing, previously with the LA Dodgers and now with the Phillies, with Chad Billingsley, though I hate the Dodgers as an organization).

There's just not that love/hate thing with Atlanta and their rivals. I mean, if I get swept by the Mets, yeah, I'll be upset because I got swept, but I wouldn't feel a thing and probably couldn't care less if the Mets swept the Braves. With the Rockies, I'd be pissed off if I got swept by the Dodgers or the Giants, the Padres or the Diamondbacks.

For NCAA Football, I can get away with not playing as Navy, because the rosters change so much. The roster will change 100% over a four year period, and with most teams, with juniors and seniors likely making up a big portion of your starters or your big named stars, you'll see different names, different players, different stars every 1-2 years as juniors and senior graduate and freshman and sophomores replace them.

With baseball, the rosters really don't change that drastically. The key players, the star players will likely still be there from year to year, the top prospects will likely still be there from year to year, and with needing 6 years of MLB service to become a free agent, the only way a bunch of players will change from season to season is if I go nuts on trades. So I'd be sitting there trying to do a franchise with a roster full of players that I know absolutely nothing about and that I really couldn't care much about.

I don't know. There's a thread over on OS that asks what are the most exciting teams for franchise mode, and over and over, I repeatedly keep seeing the Rockies being mentioned as one of the teams, and every time I see the Rockies mentioned, it keeps making me second guess not staying with the Rockies for my franchise. Even if I were to stick with Atlanta, I'd almost have to have a background franchise with the Rockies running for me to play through. And if I'm going to stretch myself into trying to run two franchises (the Braves posted on here and the Rockies just being run for my own entertainment), I almost may as well just make the Rockies my main, and sole, franchise.

So I don't know, I'll have to think on this some more. I think I sort of rushed into it too quickly, both in regards to eliminating the Rockies and picking the Braves. It'll still be a bit before I get the franchise up and running, I'm still trying to decide whether I'm going to use a 40-man version of the OSFM v1 rosters, wait for the official 40-man OSFM v2 rosters (hopefully out in a week or two) or wait for the full blown Hybrid rosters to be released, god knows when, maybe in 2-3 weeks if they get things knocked out fast. So while I decide on which rosters I want to use, I'll keep thinking about whether I'll stick with the Braves (if I can work myself up into actually caring about their players and their rivals) or if I'll go back to the Rockies as I originally had intended on.

In my RTTS I knew nothing about the Padres. I am fascinated with my progress but I still don't follow/care about the Padres organization in real life. Their unis suck but they do have a beautiful park. I find though that with this game the season is so long that you do actually connect with your players far better than say Madden. I find in general that I know/follow baseball a lot less so I have to work a lot harder to keep up-to-date with baseball. If you are like me, football is my native tongue while baseball is a 2nd language.

For my personal choice, I am a Jays fan and I like the players this year much more than last season. However, if I had to choose another team I would probably go with the Angels. Great ball park, great unis, great division, good talent. Just my .02c

Yeah, with NCAA, I prefer the play by play game recaps because it lets the reader feel the ups and downs of the games and when it comes to close games, they can they feel the tenseness of each play. Sure, it may take 3-4 hours per game, between playing the game, the play by play recap, the stats, the weekly recap, etc. But I enjoy doing it so it's not a problem. Plus the short seasons.

RTTS, I already have been able to cut things down. I stick pretty much solely to batting and base running for my recap posts. Between having time to type up what happens between pitches while on base, and while the rest of the game is quick simming while I'm not batting or on base, I can knock out entire series in around an hour. It only took two hours, maybe less, to get through both the Frisco and Midland series today.

For Franchise, I'm going to do something similar to your franchise, give the pitching match-ups before the series, playing an entire series at once (or at most spread it out over a day or two if time is an problem) and give a full series recap at once (instead of game by game like I originally had tried to do), giving the runs/hits/errors box score of each game, give a couple sentences on the top two or three hitters for the team, maybe how the starting pitcher did, how the relievers or closers did if they blew the game for us, etc.

With NCAA, only having 12 game seasons (14 if including a CCG and bowl game), I can get away with such long game recaps and taking so long with games because the seasons are so short, allowing me to get through multiple seasons in short time. With a 162 game season in baseball, I'm going to be going the much shorter and condensed route for recaps similar to how you do them, so I can get through games and series much faster.
    Yeah. What you do with NCAA is really impressive. I don't have the patience to do that but I respect what you do. It's a big commitment and it can be very engaging.

Baseball is a whole other animal.

Yeah. What you do with NCAA is really impressive. I don't have the patience to do that but I respect what you do. It's a big commitment and it can be very engaging.

Baseball is a whole other animal.
    Exactly, which is why I'm not even going to try the same with baseball. Gonna keep it to short, simple recaps with the big play, the top hitters and starter's numbers and move on. Not about to start getting into multiple paragraphs per game, or I'll never finish the season.

#TheScriptIsDead

Exactly, which is why I'm not even going to try the same with baseball. Gonna keep it to short, simple recaps with the big play, the top hitters and starter's numbers and move on. Not about to start getting into multiple paragraphs per game, or I'll never finish the season.

#TheScriptIsDead

I'm looking forward to it.

Still fighting to make a comeback in the first half of the Texas League season, we would be returning home for our final six games of May, starting off with a three game series against Frisco. If we could sweep Frisco, it may get us closer to Springfield and give us a fighting chance in the final weeks of the first half. Those hopes would disappear in the first inning of the very first game as our pitching reverted to crap and our hitting also crapped the bed. It would take a home run in the bottom of the 10th inning of the final game just to avoid being swept ourselves.

Frisco 9, Tulsa 2
    Frisco 5, Tulsa 1
    Tulsa 3, Frisco 1

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order. He would step in for his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs and no one on, but a strikeout would end the inning. Goose would get his next chance in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and runners on the corners. Unfortunately Goose would never get to finish his at-bat, as a pitch would get past the catcher mid at-bat. The runner at first would successfully steal second, while the runner at third for some reason decided to try to steal home, only to end up tagged out by the catcher to end the inning. Goose would return to the plate to lead off the bottom of the fourth inning, only to fly out to center field. Goose would get his next chance in the bottom of the sixth inning, stepping in with one out and no one on base. Facing a 2-2 count, Goose would swing at a fastball left high and outside, and despite seemingly destined for a fly out, the ball would end up sailing over the left field wall for Goose's eighth home run of the season. Goose would make his final appearance at the plate in the bottom of the eighth inning, coming up with one out and no one on, but he would uneventfully ground out to the second baseman. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-4 with a home run, a strikeout, a run scored and one RBI.

The second game of the series would go by without an appearance by Goose, presumably for a day of rest.

The third game of the series would see Goose return to the starting lineup, batting third once more in the order. Goose would step up for his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with one out and a runner on third base. He would ground out to the second baseman, but it would be enough to drive in the RBI from third. Goose would come up next in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and a runner on first, but he would end up grounding out to the first baseman to end the inning. The next chance at the plate would come in the bottom of the sixth inning with two outs and no one on, but another ground out to the first baseman would end the inning. Goose would return to the plate in the bottom of the ninth inning with one out and a runner on second, the game deadlocked at 1-1. Goose would need a hit here to preserve his hitting streak and potentially drive in the game winning run. Goose would unload on a running fastball, only to have it go foul at the last moment. He would end up grounding out to the first baseman, moving the runner up to third, but the next batter would strikeout to end the inning. A two run home run by Brandon Barnes in the bottom of the 10th inning would win the game for us, and also seal the fate on Goose's 23 game hitting streak. Final stats for Goose, 0-4 with one RBI.

Final series stats for Goose, he would play and start in the first and third games of the series. Goose would bat .125 for the series, going 1-8 with a home run, a strikeout, a run scored and two RBIs. Goose would see his 23 game hitting streak blown up in the third game thanks to an 0-4 performance.

Next up for the Tulsa Drillers, we close out the month of May with a three game series at home against Midland. Thankfully we didn't lose any ground in the standings thanks to Springfield going on a two game losing streak, but we need to start cranking out wins or kiss our hopes goodbye.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 04-21-2015 at 12:33 PM.

In a shocking announcement, especially after such a poor performance against Frisco, just before the start of the first game against Midland, Goose Anderson received word that he was being officially called up to Triple A to join the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. He would play his first ever Triple A game in the final game of a four game series against the Nashville Sounds on May 30th.

It would be a little bit better of a situation in Triple A. Current standings as of May 30th, the Iowa Cubs sit in first place in the PCL American Conference, North Division with a 28-27 record. Next is the Omaha Storm Chasers with a record of 24-31, four games behind the Cubs. The Sky Sox sit third with a 23-32 record, five games behind the Cubs and one game behind the Storm Chasers. And the Oklahoma City Dodgers sit in a tie with the Sky Sox with a 23-32 record, also five games behind the Cubs and one game behind the Storm Chasers.

Final Double A states for Goose, he played in 45 games, batting .326 in 181 at-bats. He finished with 59 hits, 30 runs scored, 13 doubles, 4 triples, 8 home runs and 26 RBIs. He had 11 stolen bases, got caught stealing once to finish with a SB% of .917. He had 3 walks and 14 strikeouts. He finished with a slugging % of .575, an on-base % of .333, OPS of .908. He had 104 total bases, 190 total plate appearances, 2 sac flys and grounded into two double plays. Fielding, Goose recorded 90 assists and 21 putouts while committing 7 errors to end with a .941 fielding %.

Goose will be thrown right into the fire, listed on the depth chart as the starting shortstop for the Sky Sox (in fact, he's the ONLY shortstop on the Sky Sox roster) and he will be thrown in at his usual spot of third in the batting order. As for any hopes of making the Major League roster this season, unless something changes between now and September, Goose will be remaining in Triple A for a while as he has not been added to the team's 40-man roster, which means Triple A is as far as he is going for now until some shuffling of the 40-man roster is done by the front office.

Probably the only negative in all of this, Goose was on track for a spot on the All-Star roster in Double A before this promotion. At least check, he was sitting second in voting, only trailing Addison Russell by 7k votes (down from almost 50k a couple weeks earlier). With only a month and a half until the Triple A All-Star game, there is almost no chance of Goose putting up good enough stats to leap his way up the list.

Thrown to the wolves in his first ever game in Triple A, Goose would get the start at shortstop and bat third in the order in the final game of a four game series against the Nashville Sounds.

Colorado Springs 1, Nashville 0
    Nashville 14, Colorado Springs 3
    Colorado Springs 3, Nashville 0
    Nashville 2, Colorado Springs 1

Obviously, Goose made no appearances in the first three games as he wasn't called up until the morning of May 30th, just hours before the final game of the series.

The fourth game of the series would see Goose make his Triple A debut with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, starting at shortstop and batting third in the order. Goose would step in for his first ever Triple A at-bat in the top of the first inning with one out and no one on following a lead off home run by center fielder Drew Stubbs. It would be a horrible start to his Triple A career as Goose would send up a slider up high for a pop out to the first baseman in foul territory. Goose would make his next appearance leading off the top of the fourth inning. Goose would end up biting on an UNGODLY slow curveball for a strikeout. Goose's next chance would come in the top of the sixth inning with one out and no one on. After getting nothing but fastballs that were constantly fouled off, the pitcher would switch up with a slider on a 1-2 count and cause Goose to ground out back to the mound for the second out. Goose would get his likely final at-bat in the top of the eighth inning with one out and a runner on first base. Goose would make great contact with a fastball this at-bat, sending it flying into center field, but the ball would have too much hang time, making for a very simple catch by the center fielder to end the inning. Final stats for Goose, a miserable 0-4 with a strikeout.

Final series stats for Goose, he would play and start in the final game of the series. Goose would bat .000 for the series, going 0-4 with a strikeout, leaving him still looking for his first Triple A hit.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we end the last day of May and open June with a four game series at home against the New Orleans Zephyrs out of the South Division.

The very next night would see Goose open up his first full series in Triple A, as the Sky Sox returned home for a four game stint with the New Orleans Zephyrs. Sitting 5 games back in the division, a sweep here would leave us in great shape before heading back into division play against first place Iowa later in the week. Unfortunately we wouldn't get the sweep, and once again, that single lost game would keep us from making up any ground in the division.

New Orleans 8, Colorado Springs 2
    Colorado Springs 11, New Orleans 5
    Colorado Springs 2, New Orleans 1
    Colorado Springs 4, New Orleans 0

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order. Goose would step in for his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs. Goose would kick things off with spectacular fashion, unloading on a first pitch fastball up in the zone, sending it flying down the right field line and carrying out of the park for a home run. With that swing of the bat, Goose would collect his first ever Triple A hit, his first Triple A home run, his first Triple A run scored and his first Triple A RBI all with a single swing. The next at-bat would come leading off the bottom of the fourth inning, ripping a pitch down the first base line and into the outfield for a single. Just to continue this game of firsts, Goose would add his first Triple A stolen base two pitches into the next batter's at-bat. Unfortunately two strikeouts and a ground out would leave Goose stranded on the bases. Goose would come up next in the bottom of the sixth inning with one out and no one on base, only to end up striking out. Goose would make his final at-bat leading off the bottom of the ninth inning, but he would end up grounding out to the second baseman to end his night. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with a single and a home run, one run scored, one RBI, a strikeout and a stolen base.

Second game would find Goose once more third in the batting order. He would make his first appearance at the plate in the bottom of the first inning with two outs, but would end up popping out to the catcher to end the inning. Goose would get his next at-bat in the bottom of the second inning with the bases loaded and one out, the Sky Sox having batted around the order and scored four runs so far in the inning. He would make some great contact, including a shot down the right field line that would have been a double, only to go just foul, but he would ultimately end up striking out on a slow ass change up. Regardless, a couple more walks and some hits would see the Sky Sox bring another five batters up following Anderson and plate another four runs in the inning for an 8 run second inning. Thanks to all that, Goose would return for the third inning in a row, coming up in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and a runner on first, but a ground out to the second baseman would end the inning. Goose would make his next at-bat in the bottom of the fifth inning, stepping in with one out and no one on base. He would rope a fastball into shallow right field for a single. Taking off runner two batters late, Goose would steal second base with ease thanks to a great jump, and then, thanks to the catcher throwing the ball past the second baseman and into the outfield, Goose was able to jump up and quickly advance to third before the throw could get in. Despite two walks to load the bases, a ground out to the first baseman would leave Goose stranded at third to end the inning. Goose would get his next shot in the bottom of the seventh inning with one out and no one on. Despite going up against a pitcher throwing nothing but a sinker, a slider and a change up, and appearing to be on his way to striking out, Goose would launch on a 1-2 slider left hanging and send it out of the park to left center field for a solo home run. Goose would nearly get back up to bat, but would watch from the on-deck circle as the final out ending the eighth inning. Final stats for Goose, 2-5 with a single and a home run, one run scored, one RBI, a strikeout and a stolen base (talk about consistency).

Just a side note, that second game seemed to be one of those where the game code just falls flat on its face. For whatever reason, New Orleans committed 6 fielding or throwing errors during the game and the New Orleans pitching staff (five different pitchers) walked us 9 times. It was a very odd game with the way walks and errors kept racking up. New Orleans never committed a single error in the other three games, and their pitchers combined for 8 total walks combined in the entire rest of the series. So it must just have been one of "those" games where the shit just hit the fan when it came to the coding and errors/walks.

The third game of the series would see Goose pulled out of the starting lineup, presumably for a day of rest. He would however see action as he would get the call to pinch hit with two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning in a 1-0 game. Unfortunately a fly out to center field would end the inning as we would pull out a victory with two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning. Final stats for Goose, 0-1 with a fly out to center field in pinch hit action.

The fourth game of the series would see Goose return to the starting lineup, batting third in the order. Goose would make his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs. Swinging at a 1-2 pitch, Goose would jack it deep to left center field, bouncing it off the wall over 400 feet out for a stand up triple. Goose would make it home this time as Kyle Parker would send a line drive into left center field, the ball rolling all the way to the wall in almost the exact spot that Goose's ball landed, giving Walker an RBI triple. Goose would get his next at-bat in the bottom of the third inning, against stepping in with two outs and no one on. Four pitches into the at-bat, Goose would send a slider straight up the middle and into center field for a single. A smooth move by the pitcher would nearly leave Goose standing around at first with his balls hanging out, but a wild throw over the first baseman's head would save Goose's giblets and allow him to advance to second, surprisingly being given credit for a stolen base. It would matter little however as a ground out to third base by Kyle Parker would end the inning. After an amazing diving catch by the left fielder in the top half of the inning, Goose would come up to the plate to lead off the bottom of the sixth inning for the Sky Sox. Goose would pick up another single this at-bat, sending a fastball into the gap into left field. Taking off on the second pitch to the next batter, Goose would manage to steal second base thanks to a high throw by the catcher. A one out single by Ryan Wheeler would move Goose up to third base to put runners on the corners. Goose would never reach home plate as strikeout and a fly out at the wall would end the inning. Goose would get his next chance at the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning with two outs and a runner on second. Goose would never get to swing the bat however as the Zephyrs would choose to intentionally walk him and take a chance at Kyle Parker. And Parker wouldn't let them down as a ground out to the second baseman would end the inning. Goose would nearly get back up in the eighth inning, but come up just one out short of reaching the plate. Final stats for Goose, he would go perfect today, finishing 3-3 with two singles and a triple, an intentional walk, a run scored and two stolen bases.

Final series stats for Goose, he would bat in all four games of the series and start in three games. Goose would bat a remarkable .538 for the series, going 7-13 with four singles, a triple and two home runs, an intentional walk, two strikeouts, three runs scored, two RBIs, and four stolen bases.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we continue on into June with a four game series against the first place Iowa Cubs, looking to pull back within one or two of the division leaders. Iowa went on a three game winning streak the same time as we did, so because of our first game loss to New Orleans, we made up no ground in the division race. Iowa remains in first with a record of 31-29. Omaha is second (four games back of Iowa) with a 27-33 record, Colorado Springs remains five games back of Iowa (one game back of Omaha) with a 26-34 mark and the Oklahoma City Dodgers are in last, seven games behind Iowa and two games behind Colorado Springs, with a record of 24-36.

Wow Smooth! AAA already? That's quick. Are you there for injury or is this a promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Wow Smooth! AAA already? That's quick. Are you there for injury or is this a promotion?
    Yeah, I was shocked when I got the pop up saying I was being promoted. It was a straight promotion, there is only a single injury in the entire Rockies organization and it's a relief pitcher on the 15 day DL.

I was sort of hoping to play out the entire season in Double A. Especially the first half of the season as I was in second place in All-Star voting, only 7,000 bloody votes behind Addison Russell for first place at SS.

Not entirely sure if it's earned though. There has been a lot of comments on various RTTS related threads on OS about how promotions from Double A and Triple A still happen too fast in the game.

#TheScriptIsDead

After wrapping up the non-division series against New Orleans, it was now time to set our sights on the #1 team in our division, the Iowa Cubs. While first place would be impossible, as we trail Iowa by five games and are only playing a four game series, three wins or even a series sweep would put us right behind the Cubbies. It would be a tall task as we would have to earn those wins on the road.

Colorado Springs 10, Iowa 8
    Colorado Springs 9, Iowa 1
    Colorado Springs 6, Iowa 2 F/11
    Iowa 3, Colorado Springs 2

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order as normal. Goose would make his first at-bat in the bottom of the first with two outs, but he would end up grounding out to the first baseman to end the top of the inning. Goose would get up next in the top of the fourth inning with one out and no one on base. Swinging at a fastball high and very inside, a swing that would look better in a cricket field would see the ball drop for a lucky single in shallow right center field. Getting a much needed great jump on a 1-2 count, Goose would manage to steal second base just ahead of the throw, before a fly out to deep center field would see Goose tag up and advance to third on the play. Goose would trot across home plate on the very next pitch thanks to a two run home run by Ryan Wheeler to clear the bases. The next at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the sixth inning with no outs and a runner on first base. Turning on a 1-1 fastball, Goose would send it flying into deep right field, bouncing it off the wall for a stand-up RBI double, scoring the runner all the way from first. A 2-0 pitch in the dirt would get away from the catcher during the next at-bat, allowing Goose to quickly advance to third base, still no outs in the inning. After a walk to put runners on the corners, Ryan Wheeler would again bring Goose in for a run thanks to a single through the gap into left field as we would go on to tack on four runs that inning and take command of the game. The very next inning, top of the seventh, would see Goose step into the exact same situation, coming up to bat with no outs and a runner on first base. Turning on a 1-0 fastball, Goose would make great contact, only to line out directly to the first baseman. Regardless, we would still plate another three runs that inning to continue piling on. Goose would get step up to the plate for the third straight inning, coming up in the top of the eighth inning with one out and a runner on first. Goose would send a slider deep down the left field line, but it would come up about 10 feet short of the wall for a fly out. Naturally, our pitching would fall flat on its face, giving up SEVEN bloody runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Thankfully it wouldn't be enough as we'd hang on for the opening win. Final stats for Goose, he'd go 2-5 with a single and a double, an RBI, two runs scored and a stolen base.

The second game would be much the same as Goose would remain third in the lineup. The first at-bat would once again come in the top of the first with two outs. Swinging at a low 0-2 slider, Goose would get very lucky as he would send a weak fly ball into left center field. The center fielder would dive to try and make the catch but would miss the catch, resulting in the ball rolling all the way to the wall before the right fielder could retrieve it. Thanks to that missed catch, what would have been a fly out turned into a triple for Goose. Unfortunately he would never make it off the bases as a ground out by Kyle Parker would end the inning. Goose would get his next chance in the top of the third inning with two outs and runners on first and second. Swinging on an 0-2 fastball, Goose would clear the bases as he would again send a ball to the right center field wall for a two RBI triple, his second straight three bagger, to put the first runs of the game on the board. An RBI double down the right field line by Kyle Parker would let Goose trot his way across the plate for a run as we would explode for four runs in the inning. Goose would return to the plate in the top of the fourth inning with two outs and a runner on second. For the third at-bat in a row, Goose would achieve the impossible, sending an 0-2 two-seam fastball to deep right center field, where the center fielder would fail to catch the fly ball, Goose quickly rounding the bases for what was believed to be his third straight triple. Unfortunately, because the center fielder failed to catch the ball (it bounced off his glove), the play was officially ruled a fielding error on the center fielder, robbing Goose of both an official hit and an additional RBI. A single into right field by Kyle Parker would see Goose once again cross home plate. Goose would step up next in the top of the sixth inning with one out and a runner on first base. Despite a great hit into right field, this time the ball would be caught by the right fielder for an out. Stepping up to the plate for what appeared to be his final at-bat of the game, Goose would dig in with one out and no one on base in the top of the eighth inning. A bloop fly ball into right field would give Goose his official third hit of the day (technically his fourth if not for that error), a one out single. After a pitch out early in the next at-bat, Goose would make the pitcher and catcher pay two pitches later, taking off on a 2-1 pitch and stealing second base. It would matter little as the pitch on the stolen base was a ball and the next pitch would miss for a walk. The pitcher would nearly get the last laugh during the following at-bat, trying to pick off Goose before throwing the first pitch of the at-bat. It would have worked, but the shortstop missed Goose with the tag, allowing him to dive back on the base safely. A second straight walk would send Goose on to third base and would load the bases with one out for Ben Paulson. Despite nearly giving up a third straight walk, the set up man for Iowa would eventually get Paulson to fly out in foul territory to the third baseman. Despite having bases loaded, we would never get anyone in as a ground out to the first baseman by Charlie Culberson would end the top half of the inning. Goose would get one last chance at the plate, stepping up in the top of the ninth inning with two outs and runners on first and second. Goose would once again clear the bases, this time by unloading on a 2-1 slider up in the zone for a no doubt three run home run to right center field, sending the ball completely out of the park. A monster of a day at the plate would EASILY earn Goose player of the game honors. Final stats for Goose, he would go 4-6 with a single, two triples and a home run, three runs scored, a big five RBIs and a stolen base to earn player of the game honors.

The third game of the series (normally the game resulting in a rest day) would see Goose remain in the starting lineup and batting third in the order. The first at-bat would come in the top of the first inning with two outs, but Goose would end up striking out on a circle-change low in the zone. Goose would get up next in the top of the third inning with two outs and no one on, but he would end up grounding out to the second baseman, Goose clearly still hung over from his massive success the night before. Goose would get his next chance in the top of the sixth inning with one out and a runner on first base, only to end up popping out to the catcher on a curveball. Goose would step up to the plate next in the top of the eighth inning, coming up with two outs and runners on first and second in a tight one run game. A fly out to deep center field would ruin our chances to increase our lead. Thanks to our relief pitching giving up a home run in the bottom of the eighth inning, we would end up playing into extras, where Goose would return to the plate in the top of the eleventh inning, stepping in with no outs and a runner on first. Goose would choose the biggest moment of the night to get his first hit of the ball game, smacking a slider deep into right center field, all the way to the wall, for a stand up RBI triple to give us the go-ahead run. Thanks to the second baseman attempting to throw Goose out at home on a ground ball, upon which Goose quickly retreated back to third base, Kyle Parker was safe at first base for a single to put runners on the corners with no outs. A past ball would advance Parker to second, leaving runners at second and third, followed by a walk one pitch later to load up the bases for Ben Paulson, still no outs in the inning. A ground ball to the second baseman would again leave the Cubs in trouble as Goose would beat out the throw to home plate, scoring the run and leaving the bases loaded with no outs. We would go on to put up four runs in the inning on our way to a third straight victory over Iowa and our sixth straight victory overall. Final stats for Goose, 1-5 with a triple and a strikeout, a run scored and one RBI.

The huge fourth game of the series, as we would go for the back breaking sweep of the Cubs, would again see Goose batting third in the order. For the fourth straight game, Goose would step up to the plate in the top of the first inning with two outs, and for the second game in a row, Goose would strike out to end the top half of the inning. Also for the second game in a row, Iowa would score on a home run in the bottom of the first inning, only for us to put up a home run of our own and score two runs in the top of the second. This was shaping up to potentially be another tight battle. Goose would get his next chance at the plate in the top of the third inning with one out and no one on base, only to ground out to the first baseman for the second out. The next chance for Goose would come in the top of the fifth inning with two outs and a runner on first in a still one run ball game, but a curveball low would see Goose strikeout for the second time today. Goose would return to the plate next leading off the top of the eighth inning, still hanging on by one run, but a ground out to the second baseman would end his at-bat. As would be typical, our closer would blow the game by giving up a two run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, destroying our hopes of a clean sweep and killing the ground we had made up in the standings. Final stats for Goose, 0-4 with two strikeouts.

Final series stats for Goose, he would end up starting all four games. Goose would bat a solid .350 for the series, going 7-20 with two singles, a double, three triples and one home run, three strikeouts, six runs scored, seven RBIs, and two stolen bases.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we return home for a non-division four game series against the Las Vegas 51s out of the Pacific South. This would actually kick off four straight series, 16 games, against teams from the Pacific Conference, with four game series against the Las Vegas 51s, the Salt Lake Bees, the Tacoma Rainiers and the Reno Aces.

Had we won the final game and swept Iowa, we would have been sitting just one game back of the division leaders. However, because of that blown game, we instead are now three games back of the Cubs. While we did shave two games off our deficit, four games would have been more preferable, no thanks to our relief pitching. Iowa remains in first with a record of 32-32. Omaha is second (two games back of Iowa) with a 30-34 record, Colorado Springs sits three games back of Iowa (one game back of Omaha) with a 29-35 mark and the Oklahoma City Dodgers are in last, seven games behind Iowa and four games behind Colorado Springs, with a record of 25-39.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 04-27-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Returning to non-division action, this time against Las Vegas out of the Pacific Conference, we would again need a strong showing as we hoped to keep whittling away at Iowa's lead atop our division. We would face a very stiff test against the 51s, who enter the game with a record of 37-27, good enough for first place in the Pacific South.

Las Vegas 4, Colorado Springs 3 F/13
    Las Vegas 7, Colorado Springs 1
    Colorado Springs 7, Las Vegas 2
    Las Vegas 10, Colorado Springs 8

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order as normal. Goose would come up for the first time in the bottom of the first inning with one out and a runner on second, but would end up flying out to center field. Goose would return in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and a runner on first, driving a single through the gap into right field to put runners on first and second. A four pitch walk to Kyle Parker would advance Goose to second base and load the bases for Ryan Wheeler, who would end up grounding out to second base to end the inning. Goose's next chance would come in the bottom of the fifth inning with one out and a runner on first, sending a sweeping curve up the middle into center field for a single. Unfortunately the runner on first would get greedy and try to advance to third base, only to be thrown out for the second out. It wouldn't matter much other than a lost run as Kyle Parker would drive Goose in with a no doubt shot to left field for a two run home run to open up the scoring in the game. Goose would step up to the plate to lead off the bottom of the seventh inning in a tie game. After sending a fastball down the middle for what should have been a home run to right field, if it had stayed fair, Goose would turn on the very next pitch and this time drive it 415 yards to straight away center field for an actual solo home run to break the tie. Naturally, our pitching would give up that lead in the very next inning. That would lead to Goose returning to the plate to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning, stepping in with the game tied once more, but this time Goose would fly out to right field. Heading into extra innings, Goose would get an extra at-bat in the bottom of the eleventh inning with one out and a runner on first, but Goose would fly out to the left fielder this time. After having the game winning run thrown out at home plate in the bottom of the twelfth inning, Las Vegas would smack a solo home run in the top of the thirteenth to take the one run lead. Our hopes of a win would rest in Goose's hands as he would come up to bat in the bottom of the thirteenth inning with two outs and no one on base. Our hopes would be shattered into a million pieces as Goose would ground out to second base to end the game. Final stats for Goose, 3-7 with two singles, a home run, a run scored and an RBI.

The second game would see Goose taken out of the starting lineup. He would see brief action however, coming in to pinch hit with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning, Las Vegas leading 3-1. Goose would give a fastball a hell of a blast to right field, but it wouldn't be deep enough, caught for the final out of the inning. We would end up getting trounced in the eighth inning on the way to a blowout loss. Final stats for Goose, 0-1.

The third game of the series would see Goose return to the starting lineup and batting third in the order. Goose would make his first at-bat in the bottom of the first inning with two outs, bouncing a line drive off the right field wall for a stand up double to at least give us a little life early on. A bloop single into left field by Kyle Parker would put runners on the corners, followed by a weak ground ball by Ryan Wheeler into right field to score Goose from third. We would end up plating 5 runs in the bottom of the inning thanks to a grand slam two batters later by Charlie Culberson to take a solid lead early on. Goose would get his next chance at the plate leading off the bottom of the third inning, but he would end up flying out to deep right field. Goose's next at-bat would come in the bottom of the fifth inning with two outs and a runner on first, driving a slider back at the pitcher and up the middle into the outfield for a single to put runners on first and second, followed by a five pitch walk to Kyle Parker to load the bases, Goose standing on second base. Ryan Wheeler would come up to bat against a new pitcher, only to end up flying out to left field to end the inning. Goose would return to the plate in the bottom of the seventh inning with no outs and a runner on first. Goose would end up grounding the ball to the first baseman, the runner thrown out at second base, while Goose would just barely inch out the double play throw to first base for a fielder's choice play. Taking off runner on the second pitch of the next at-bat, Goose would successfully steal second base, and then take off for third thanks to a wild throw by the catcher that would end up in the outfield. Goose would score from third two pitches later thanks to a single up the middle by Ryan Wheeler to add on to our lead, a lead we would never surrender. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with a single, a double, two runs scored and a stolen base.

The fourth game of the series would find Goose again batting third. Goose would step up for his first at-bat in the bottom of the first with one out and a runner on first. Swinging at an 0-1 fastball, Goose would send it bouncing off the right field wall for a stand up RBI double, scoring the run from first to give us the early lead. Goose would go no further as a strike out and a fly out would end the inning. After two innings of suck by Jorge De La Rosa handed Las Vegas the lead with five runs scored in the second and third, Goose would come back up to bat in the bottom of the third inning with no outs and a runner on first, only to fly out to the second baseman. A grand slam in the fifth inning would turn this into an ass whooping by the time Goose got back to the plate, returning in the bottom of the fifth inning with one outs and no one on base, fighting off five straight foul balls before a mistake by the pitcher would leave a fastball hanging, tattooed by Goose to right center field for a solo home run. Goose would return in the next inning, stepping in in the bottom of the sixth with two outs and runners on first and second, Las Vegas' lead cut to four thanks to a two run home run earlier in the inning. Goose would make good contact with a fastball, line driving it into right field, unfortunately right at the right fielder for the final out of the inning. Three more runs in the bottom of the seventh (along with one Las Vegas run), and we would cut the lead down to two as Goose would come up to bat in the bottom of the eighth inning with one out and no one on base. Goose would unload on an 0-1 fastball, but would fly out to deep center field for out number two. With that, we would never get those last two runs, dropping our third game of the series. Final stats for Goose, 2-5 with a double and a home run, a run scored and two RBIs.

Final series stats for Goose, he would bat in all four games of the series and start in three games. Goose would bat a solid .412 for the series, going 7-17 with three singles, two doubles and two home runs, five runs scored, three RBIs, and one stolen base.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we continue against Pacific Conference opponents with a four game home stand against the Salt Lake Bees. Thanks to dropping three out of four against Las Vegas, we officially lost all progress we made against Iowa. The Cubs remains in first with a record of 35-33. Omaha is second (one game back of Iowa) with a 34-34 record, Colorado Springs remains five games back of Iowa (four games back of Omaha) with a 30-38 mark and the Oklahoma City Dodgers are in last, seven games behind Iowa and two games behind Colorado Springs, with a record of 28-40.

Just a note of interest on the Tulsa Drillers, since Goose's departure. The Drillers proceeded to lose two out of three games against the Midland Rockhounds in the series immediately after Goose was promoted. Including the loss in the last game of the Midland series, Tulsa lost eight straight games as they were then swept by Northwest Arkansas and lost the first three games against Springfield. Tulsa has since won two in a row, taking the final game against Springfield and the first game of a four game series against Arkansas. Thanks to that eight game slide, Tulsa now sits with a record of 25-40 and trails first place Springfield by 13.5 games. So Tulsa is officially done and dead in the water for the first half of the Texas League season. Their only hope of making the playoffs now is to turn it around and win the North Division in the second half of the season. Needless to say, Goose clearly was an offensive power on that team, as they have gone straight off a cliff since his departure.

Coming off the series loss to Las Vegas, we would need a big turn around against the Salt Lake Bees to re-close the game against Iowa. While we would get off to a great start in the first half of the series, the pitching would let us down BIG time in the final two games.

Colorado Springs 4, Salt Lake 2
    Colorado Springs 5, Salt Lake 2
    Salt Lake 4, Colorado Springs 2
    Salt Lake 8, Colorado Springs 7

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order as normal. The first at-bat for Goose would come in the bottom of the first inning with two outs. After fighting off and fouling away seven straight pitches, Goose would make contact on a fastball left hanging over the middle of the plate. Despite a weak crack off the bat and it seemingly slowly carrying into center field, somehow the ball would get enough distance to just get over the center field wall for a solo home run. Goose would get his next crack in the bottom of the second inning with the bases loaded and only one out. Goose would only manage a weak ground ball that wouldn't even get half way back to the pitcher's mound. Regardless, it was enough to at least score the run from third before the pitcher could get to the ball, Goose ending up thrown out at first for the second out. The bottom of the fifth inning would see Goose return to the plate, stepping in with no outs and a runner on second. Goose would end up grounding out to the first baseman for the first out, but it would at least move the runner over to third, who would later score. Goose would make his next appearance in the bottom of the sixth inning with two outs and a runner on first base. Goose would give a first pitch fastball one hell of a ride, but it would end up caught at the wall by the right fielder to end the inning. Goose would never get another at-bat, he would watch the eighth inning end standing in the on-deck circle. Final stats for Goose, he would go 1-4 with a solo home run, a run scored and two RBI.

The second game would remain the same, Goose batting third. Stepping in with one out in the bottom of the first inning, despite facing a 2-0 deficit right off the bat thanks to our pitchers, it would be instantly made into a brand new ball game with back to back solo home runs by Tim Wheeler and Goose. Goose would get his next at-bat in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and a runner on first, only to fly out to the center fielder to end the inning. The next chance at the plate would come in the bottom of the sixth inning with one out and no one on base, but Goose would end up popping out to the catcher. Goose would get his likely final at-bat of the game leading off the bottom of the eighth inning, sending a first pitch fastball sailing over the wall in right center field for a no doubt solo blast, Goose's second of the game. Thanks to those two solo shots, Goose would receive player of the game honors. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with two solo home runs, two runs scored and two RBI, earning him player of the game.

Just of note, for that second game, it was the game of the solo home runs for Colorado Springs. Four of our five runs came on solo homers, two by Goose, one by Tim Wheeler and one by Ryan Wheeler. If not for those four home runs by the three team leaders, we would have likely lost this game 2-1.

The third game of the series would find Goose again batting third. Stepping up in the bottom of the first inning with one out and a runner on first, Goose would end up getting a junk hit off the handle of the bat into shallow right field for a lucky single. An RBI single by Ryan Parker would score the run from second and advance Goose over to second base. Taking a chance on a 1-2 count during the following at-bat, Goose would take off running for third, resulting in a very hurried throw by the catcher that would sail over the third baseman's head and into left field. Thanks to the error by the catcher, Goose was able to quickly jump up from his slide into third and take off for home plate to score a run. Coming up in the bottom of the third inning with two outs and no one on base, after our pitching screwed our lead, Goose would end up flying out to right field to end the inning. Goose would get his next shot in the bottom of the sixth inning with two outs and the bases empty in a tied ball game, driving a slider over the right fielder's head for a stand up double. He would never get off second however as the next batter would strikeout looking at a beautiful pitch down the middle to end the inning. Naturally pitching would kill us in the late innings, and any hopes we had of winning were dead. Goose would get his final at-bat in the bottom of the ninth inning with no outs and a runner on first, only to fly out to center field. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with a single, a double, a run scored and a stolen base along with one fielding error.

The fourth game of the series would remain the same with Goose batting third. Goose would get his first crack in the bottom of the first with two outs, grounding out to the second baseman to end the inning. Next chance for Goose would come in the bottom of the fourth inning with no outs and a runner on first. During the at-bat, a pitch in the dirt would get behind the catcher, allowing the runner on first to steal second base. The throw from the catcher to second would end up sailing into center field, causing the runner to try and also take third base. However, the thrown from center to third would be on the money and the runner would end up thrown out at third base, putting the first out on the board in the middle of Goose's at-bat. He would add the second out a few pitches later with a weak ground out to the first baseman. As is almost always the case, our pitching would screw it as Salt Lake would score EIGHT goddamn runs in the sixth inning alone. Goose would come up in the bottom of the sixth inning with two outs and a runner on first, at this point just playing for stats. He wouldn't even get that as a fly out to left field would end the inning. Goose's next at-bat would come in the bottom of the eighth inning with one out and runners on first and second. After being shut out for 7.1 innings of work by Salt Lake's starter, Goose would finally put us on the boar with a three run no doubt about it shot to right center field. That home run, coupled with a single the next batter after would finally chase the starter for Salt Lake from the game. Amazing we would go on a tear, blowing up the scoreboard for 7 runs in the bottom of the eighth inning. Goose would step with the entire game hanging on the line, coming up in the bottom of the ninth inning with two outs and the bases empty, trailing Salt Lake by one run. It wouldn't be meant to be, as Goose would send a line drive straight at the right fielder to end the game. Final stats for Goose, 1-5 with a three run home run, one run scored and three RBI, along with two throwing errors charged against Goose.

Final series stats for Goose, he would start in all four games. Goose would bat a solid .353 for the series, going 6-17 with a single, a double and four home runs, five runs scored, seven RBIs, and one stolen base. Negatively, Goose would get hit with one fielding error and two throwing errors in the series.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we continue against Pacific Conference opponents, this time against the North Division, with an eight game road trip, playing a pair of four game series against the Tacoma Rainiers and the Reno Aces. Thanks to dropping two of four against Salt Lake, we remain five games back of Iowa. The Cubs remains in first with a record of 37-35. Omaha is now tied with Iowa for first place with a 37-35 record, Colorado Springs remains five games back of Iowa and now Omaha with a 32-40 mark and the Oklahoma City Dodgers have tied with the Sky Sox for last in the division with a record of 32-40, the Dodgers having won six straight games.

After hitting the stumbling block in mid-June, having lost three of our last five games and six of our last nine, we would need a strong showing on the road against the Tacoma Rainiers if we hoped to keep up with Iowa and Omaha in the division chase. Unlike the Salt Lake Bees, our next opponent would not be a bottom dweller, as the Rainiers were in the middle of a stellar 45-27 season, good enough for first place in the Pacific North and the second best record in ALL of Triple A baseball, only one game worse than the Memphis Redbirds out of the American South. Surprisingly, our pitchers would have probably their best series all season as we would keep Tacoma under three runs each game and steal three out of four from the Rainiers.

Colorado Springs 6, Tacoma 3
    Tacoma 1, Colorado Springs 0
    Colorado Springs 4, Tacoma 2
    Colorado Springs 3, Tacoma 1

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order as normal. The first at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the first inning with one out and a runner on first, hitting a weak grounder past the first baseman for a single, however the runner would attempt to advance from first to third, only to be gunned down at third base by the right fielder thanks to the shallow ground ball. Despite stealing second base mid at-bat, a strikeout by Kyle Parker would leave Goose stranded to end the top half. The next at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the third inning with two outs and the bases empty, with a fly ball to right field somehow dropping just past the reach of the outfielder's glove, giving Goose a second straight single. Goose would be to blame for the end of the top half of the inning, as he would get caught sleeping at first base and picked off during the late dive back to the base. Goose's next chance would come in the top of the sixth inning with one out and no one on base, but he would end up grounding out to the second baseman for the second out. Goose would return in the top of the eighth inning, stepping in with one out and runners on first and second. After a slider in the dirt would advance the runners to second and third, Goose would take one for the team, literally, as he would get beaned in the upper back by an 0-2 fastball, loading the bases for Parker, who would proceed to foul off five straight pitchers before sending a ball up the gap into right field for an RBI single. Ryan Wheeler would come up next, again with the bases loaded and one out. Wheeler would draw a full count walk on the edge of the zone to bring in the game tying run, moving Goose up to third base and again leaving the bases loaded with still one out. Understandably, the pitcher who originally took over on the mound for Goose's at-bat, was already pulled after three batters saw two runs scored and the bases loaded up three consecutive at-bats. Those bases would be cleared as Ben Paulsen would smack a fastball down the third base line and all the way into the left field corner for a bases clearing 3 RBI double, turning a 3-1 deficit into a 6-3 lead with a 5 run eighth inning. Final stats for Goose, 2-3 with two singles, a hit by pitch, a run scored and a stolen base.

The second game would see Goose given a day off for rest, not even seeing any action as a pinch hitter.

The third game of the series would find Goose back in the lineup batting third. His first at-bat would come in the top of the first inning with one out and a runner on first. Swinging at an 0-1 change-up left high and inside in the zone, Goose would rock it down the first base line and curve it around the foul pole for a two run home run. Goose would step into the same situation in the top of the third inning, coming up with one out and a runner on first. After fouling off a couple pitches, Goose would send a line drive at the first baseman, who would be unable to snag it and let the ball get into right field for a single, the runner advancing from first to third. Kyle Parker would drive the runner in from third with a fly out to left field, though Goose would be unable to make the advance to second base and would remain at first. Taking off on a 2-1 pitch, Goose would get a great jump and easily beat the throw from the catcher to steal second base, also drawing a ball from the pitcher on the hurried pitch in the process. Ultimately the batter would fly out to shallow right field and Goose would be left stranded on base. Goose would make his next at-bat in the top of the fifth inning, coming up with no outs and runners on first and second, only to end up lining out to the shortstop for the first out. Outs by the next two batters and we would squander a perfect chance to add multiple runs. That would potentially bite us in the ass as Goose would step in for his next at-bat, leading off the top of the eighth inning in a now one run ballgame, but he would end up striking out. The batters after Goose would manage to get one run in during the inning, before we would escape the bottom of the eighth with runners on first and second thanks to a two out ground out to Goose. Goose would come up for his final at-bat of the game in the top of the ninth inning with one out and again runners on first and second. Goose would give the ball a ride, but it end in a fly out to the left fielder at the warning track. Thankfully despite the poor batting by Goose with runners on, we would hold on for the victory. Final stats for Goose, 2-5 with a single and a home run, two RBI, a run scored and a strikeout. Thanks to that home run and those two RBI, Goose would manage to earn player of the game honors.

The fourth game of the series would remain the same with Goose batting third. Goose would get his first crack in the top of the first with two outs and the bases empty, unloading on an early fastball, but it would die at the warning track in right field for a fly out. The next at-bat for Goose would come leading off the top of the fourth inning, just sneaking a inside 2-seam fastball over the right center field wall for a solo home run and the first run of the game. Goose would return to the plate in the top of the fifth inning with two outs and a runner on first, but he would end up losing the duel with the pitcher this time around, striking out on a slider low and away. Goose would make his next at-bat in the top of the eighth inning with one out and a runner on first base, still a 1-0 game as this game has been a pitcher's duel. Facing a reliever with nothing but junkball pitches, Goose would line drive an inside sinker off the right field foul post for a two run home run, extending our lead to 3-0. Thanks to his two home runs, two runs scored and accounting for all three RBI, it would be an easy decision for player of the game honors to go to Goose. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with two home runs, two runs scored, three RBI and one strikeout, earning player of the game honors for the second straight game.

Final series stats for Goose, he would start and play in three games. Goose would bat an insane .500 for the series, going 6-12 with three singles, three home runs, a hit by pitch, four runs scored, five RBIs, two stolen bases, two strikeouts and two player of the game honors.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we finish off our road trip against Pacific Conference opponents with a four game series at the Reno Aces out of the North Division. Despite taking three out of four against Tacoma, we still remain five games back of Iowa as the Cubs did enough to keep their lead. The Cubs remains in first with a record of 40-36. Omaha is now in second place, two games back of Iowa, with a 38-38 record, Colorado Springs remains five games back of Iowa and three games behind Omaha with a 35-41 mark and the Oklahoma City Dodgers remain tied with the Sky Sox for last in the division with a record of 35-41, the Dodgers having won 9 of their last 10 games.

Coming off a series win over a very tough Tacoma team, it was the end our long road trip at least, as we tangled with the Reno Aces, who were having a decidedly less stellar season, coming into the series at 34-42 and only winning four of their last 10 games. With Iowa facing off against a good Albuquerque squad, there was hope we could close the gap with either three or four wins against Reno. Instead, we would majorly shit the bed.

Colorado Springs 4, Reno 2
    Reno 4, Colorado Springs 3
    Reno 5, Colorado Springs 4
    Reno 3, Colorado Springs 1

First game of the series would see Goose batting third in the order as normal. The first at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the first inning with two outs and the bases empty, but he would end up striking out on a curveball to end the top half of the inning. Goose would get up next in the top of the third inning with two outs and a runner on first, turning on a fastball and lining it into right field for a single to put runners on first and second before a ground out by Kyle Parker would end the top of the inning. After saving our pitcher's ass with multiple double plays during the in-between innings, Goose would return to the plate to lead off the top of the sixth inning, sending a 1-1 fastball over the right fielder's head and to the wall, Goose racing around the bases and sliding into third. Ultimately, the scorer would rule the play a fielding error on the right fielder, so Goose would get no credit for the hit. A single by Kyle Parker would drive Goose in for the tying run. After a botched double play attempt, Goose would get back up to the plate in the seventh inning with two outs and runners on the corners. Goose would come, Goose would see, Goose would swingeth his big stick with a no doubt three run home run to give us a 4-1 lead. Despite giving up a run and having runners on second and third in the bottom of the ninth inning, we would get the job done. Final stats for Goose, 2-4 with a single and a three run home run, two runs scored, three RBI and a strikeout, good enough to earn Goose player of the game honors.

The second game would see Goose once again given a day off for rest. However, this time he would end up coming in as a pinch hitter in the seventh inning of a tied 2-2 ballgame. Leading off the top of the seventh inning, Goose would dig in as a pinch hitter against Reno's starter. Swinging at the very first pitch, Goose would do more than the coaches could have hoped for, unloading on a meatball by the tired pitcher (his 98th pitch of the game) and sending it out of the park to right field for a solo home run, giving us a 3-2 lead and ending the day for Reno's starter. As would be typical of our pitching staff, they would give the lead right away in the bottom of the seventh inning, as we would go on to lose in the bottom of the ninth. We seriously need some new goddamn pitchers. Final stats for Goose, 1-1 in pinch hit action with a solo home run, scoring one run and one RBI.

The third game of the series would find Goose back in the lineup batting third. His first at-bat would come in the top of the first inning with one out and a runner on second, eventually sending a ground ball into shallow left field for a single to put runners on the corners. Running on a 1-1 pitch, Goose would steal second base without even so much as an attempted throw by the catcher. A fly out to deep center field by Kyle Parker would score the run from third and advance Goose to third base after tagging up. A couple pitches into the next at-bat, a ball would get past the catcher, with Goose taking off running for home plate, but thanks to the ball bouncing off the brick backstop and right back to the catcher, a simple toss to the pitcher at home plate was enough to beat Goose by a mile for the third out. Next at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the third inning with one out and a runner on first, only to pop out to the catcher on the first pitch. Goose would get his next chance at the plate in the top of the fifth inning with two outs and no one on, only to end up striking out to end the top half of the inning. Next at-bat for Goose would come in the top of the seventh inning, digging in with two outs and runners on first and second, a brand new reliever on the mound. A ground ball at the first baseman would squirt into right field for an RBI single, scoring the runner from second and advancing the man from first to third, putting runners on the corners. Taking off running on the first pitch, Goose would successfully steal second base, giving us two runners in scoring position for Kyle Parker, who would end up striking out to end the top of the inning. After watching a three run lead collapse over the bottom of the seventh and eighth innings, Goose would return to the plate in the top of the ninth inning with one out and a runner on first base in a tie ballgame, promptly flying out to right field for the second out. Despite loading the bases, we would fail to get any runs in and would head for extra innings, where two straight singles and two straight walks by our shitty pitching staff would gift wrap the game to Reno in the bottom of the tenth. Final stats for Goose, 2-5 with two singles, an RBI, two stolen bases and a strikeout.

The fourth game of the series would remain the same with Goose batting third. Goose would get his first crack in the top of the first with two outs, quickly grounding out to the second baseman to end the top half of the inning. Goose would get up next in the top of the fourth inning with one out and the bases empty, only to ground out to the second baseman yet again. Goose's next at-bat would come in the top of the seventh inning with one out and no one on base, ending the at-bat with a strikeout. Thanks to Tim Wheeler getting us only our second team hit of the entire game, Goose would get one last at-bat in the top of the ninth inning with one out and a runner on second, but Goose would end up flying out to left field as we would suck it up against Reno. Final stats for Goose, 0-4 with a strikeout.

Final series stats for Goose, he would start in three games and see action in all four. Goose would bat a decent .357 for the series, going 5-14 with three singles, two home runs, three runs scored, five RBIs, two stolen bases, three strikeouts and one player of the game honor.

Next up for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, we return home for an 8 game home stand and resume division play with a four game series against the Iowa Cubs and a four game showdown against the Oklahoma City Dodgers. This will be the last time we play the Cubs the rest of the season. Thanks to us shitting the bed against Reno, we are now in last place in the division and have fallen six games behind Iowa. The Cubs remain in first with a record of 42-38. Omaha is in second place, two games back of Iowa, with a 40-40 record, the Oklahoma City Dodgers have jumped Colorado Springs for third place in the division, five games back of Iowa and three games behind Omaha, with a 37-43 record, and Colorado Springs now sits dead last, six games behind Iowa, four games behind Omaha and one game behind Oklahoma City, with a record of 36-44 as we are sitting on a three game losing streak and have now lost 6 of our last 10 games.