Thread: New Texas scheme?

• Facebook
  • Display

New Texas scheme?

Anyone have any thoughts on what the new Texas offensive scheme might be?

This article is pretty vague, seems to hint at a pro-style/up tempo style, they want to run more but also pass...seems kinda vague.

http://www.chatsports.com/texas-long...heme-2-9226668

I didn't know if they'd look more like last year's Louisville?

Here's another article: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...nse-on-balance
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 07-27-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Being a Texas fan, I'm not really sure - they've brought in coaches with vaired background. Shawn Watson is a pro-style west coast offense guy, Joe Wickline has been around the spread since his days in Florida and Les Koenning has been around the spread since 2003.

If I were to guess I'd say Texas will be a 12 personnel team based in a zone running game and a west coast passing game. Louisville was #3 in time of possession last year, being that Strong is a defensive minded coach I'm going to assume that's not going to change so fast tempo may be out of the question.

Just look at Louisville for last year and try to emulate their offense, being that it was Strong's first head job that's what he believes in - Texas will probably throw downfield more often as that's a David Ash strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    Being a Texas fan, I'm not really sure - they've brought in coaches with vaired background. Shawn Watson is a pro-style west coast offense guy, Joe Wickline has been around the spread since his days in Florida and Les Koenning has been around the spread since 2003.

If I were to guess I'd say Texas will be a 12 personnel team based in a zone running game and a west coast passing game. Louisville was #3 in time of possession last year, being that Strong is a defensive minded coach I'm going to assume that's not going to change so fast tempo may be out of the question.

Just look at Louisville for last year and try to emulate their offense, being that it was Strong's first head job that's what he believes in - Texas will probably throw downfield more often as that's a David Ash strength.
    Sounds good, that's what I kinda gathered from reading those above links it just seems like they are very vague as to what they are going to run, maybe they're wanting to keep people/teams in the dark for a reason, more of an element of surprise...or maybe they don't know themselves what it will be yet.

I'm an Aggie but that doesn't mean I don't care for watching Texas play, I wish we still played each other, maybe that will return it was a great rivalry and a great game to look forward to. Hopefully with the stubborn people that were in charge at both universities moving on, the respective boards will have another look into the matter and at some point in the future return the game. It seems like there were people in place at A&M that had issues with Texas starting the longhorn network and then there were people at Texas that had issues with A&M moving to the SEC, the silly thing to me is the A&M VS TU game was 100% a sell out so there is guaranteed ticket money, maybe I don't know the real dollar signs they are dealing with and maybe 1 game that is a 100% sell out is not worth their time, perhaps there is more behind the scenes...I just wish we still played.

That said, when A&M isn't playing Texas, I cheer for Texas.