Thread: CBS Sports: College football players want NCAA video game back

• Facebook
  • Display

CBS Sports: College football players want NCAA video game back

Some interesting quotes for players who say they don't care about getting paid

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ideo-game-back

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Some interesting quotes for players who say they don't care about getting paid

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ideo-game-back
    Was just coming here to post that. It also says, either in that article or just in the OS recap of it (H/T to them b/c that's where I saw it) that EA is 'officially' on board with rebooting the series if they can get a likeness deal (in other words, if they can avoid a future lawsuit).
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

They COULD (in theory) get a likeness deal w/o violating the NCAA rules (or at least that I am aware of).

1. EA requires EVERY player to sign a contract permitting them to use their name/likeness in the game.

2. In return, EA could give the player a copy of the game for free as consideration for them giving up their likness being used.

3. The NCAA already allows gifts for bowl games for players on the football team so a slight change (if any) could easily be made to make this happen.

Of course when the Kellers refuse to sign EA MUST leave them out and not give the customers any ability to edit/add a player into the default roster.

There are reports that teams are working out likeness deals/releases with the athletes. The ACC is one conference that I've heard that is doing this, probably since Winston has the Heisman and is the most marketable college football athlete.

Just my 2 cents:

Why is it not an option to give the schools money, maybe that could go towards scholarships? If EA has to pay the NFL or NHL or other organizations for the player likeness, why can't they do the same with the NCAA? Then the actual players wouldn't be getting cash money but they (the universities) would be receiving money that would HAVE to go towards a scholarship or something towards the educational side of things?

It seems like the sticky point has been NCAA players are not to be paid since they are not "pros" but universities do give them food allowances, tuition assistance, and scholarships...so why not just have EA give a certain percentage of their sales towards each conference represented in the game?

It really seems like if the demand is there, then they can find a way. If this made the game cost $5 more, let's say $70 instead of $65, I would still buy it. If they sell 1 million copies that would be 5 million to split up between the different conferences used. Within reason HOW MUCH do these college kids really want for their likeness?

How much is EA paying the NHLPA or the NFL players association? Are they really paying them 10s of millions of dollars?

I guess what I'm saying is, you sometimes have to give up something in order to make money. If they have to have a slightly less profit to still sell 1 million copies of a game then it would seem worth it.

Maybe Madden, and NHL and FIFA are in completely different markets, I just thought the NCAA game was pretty popular and worth a shot since it makes them money. Any company that just closes the door on an opportunity to make money without looking at all the possibilities seems like poor planning.

I completely understand that a lawsuit can scare them off, but if there is a way and in the end it could make you money then it seems like it would be worth a try.

(and before anyone jumps on here and tells me how FIFA is a bigger game world-wide I understand). I like FIFA myself, I was just using it as an example.
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 07-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    Why is it not an option to give the schools money, maybe that could go towards scholarships? If EA has to pay the NFL or NHL or other organizations for the player likeness, why can't they do the same with the NCAA? Then the actual players wouldn't be getting cash money but they (the universities) would be receiving money that would HAVE to go towards a scholarship or something towards the educational side of things?
    Our Resident Lawyer CLW may have to correct me on this, but the initial objection I see to this is that the schools do not own the players likenesses. The NFL and NHL, in your examples, are not the ones given money by EA for players. The NFL license gives them the team names and logos. The NFL Players Association (the union) gives them the likeness deal. And that's because that the union has included likenesses as part of their agreement, probably both with the players and their collective barganing agreement with the league. There is no such entity for the NCAA. The players likenesses are controlled by the individual player, but the players can't enter a contract for those likenesses because then they would receive compensation and/or benefits that are solely because of their status as football players, and would run afoul of the NCAA's amateurism rules.

I think your latter points about raising the price or the cost of the deal are missing the point. EA isn't the one trying to avoid a deal. EA would love to get a likeness deal, if nothing else to avoid lawsuits like the ones that have just cost them tens of millions of dollars. But the NCAA rules don't currently allow it.

EA didn't close the door without looking at possibilities. They were going to continue on with College Football '15. But too many schools and conferences pulled out for it to be viable (and, to your point, to make money).

Players from more conferences respond to media day questions on NCAA Football. No surprise - the vast majority wish the game would have continued on, as it was.

Cleveland.com - "Do college players, even without compensation, wish EA Sports still made the NCAA football video game? Big Ten survey"

Hustlebelt.com - "With EA Sports NCAA Football Franchise In the Past, Will MAC Players Miss It?"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Our Resident Lawyer CLW may have to correct me on this, but the initial objection I see to this is that the schools do not own the players likenesses. The NFL and NHL, in your examples, are not the ones given money by EA for players. The NFL license gives them the team names and logos. The NFL Players Association (the union) gives them the likeness deal. And that's because that the union has included likenesses as part of their agreement, probably both with the players and their collective barganing agreement with the league. There is no such entity for the NCAA. The players likenesses are controlled by the individual player, but the players can't enter a contract for those likenesses because then they would receive compensation and/or benefits that are solely because of their status as football players, and would run afoul of the NCAA's amateurism rules.

I think your latter points about raising the price or the cost of the deal are missing the point. EA isn't the one trying to avoid a deal. EA would love to get a likeness deal, if nothing else to avoid lawsuits like the ones that have just cost them tens of millions of dollars. But the NCAA rules don't currently allow it.

EA didn't close the door without looking at possibilities. They were going to continue on with College Football '15. But too many schools and conferences pulled out for it to be viable (and, to your point, to make money).
    EA was already indirectly paying the schools for the NCAA license.

The problem is that the EA has settled claims by the players saying that they used players "likeness" without their permission.

Thus, the only way EA will ever make a college product again is when the players sign contracts and are compensated directly in some fashion for the use of their likeness.

Now, the use could be as simple as a free copy of the game for every player. Or as much as actual $ payment(s).

Hopefully, when it returns, we'll get 85 roster spots instead of 70.

We need NCAA on next gen! Would be so awesome. Bring back UT and it'd be better then Madden again and again.

"Oh, I'm sick. It hurts," sophomore wide receiver Carlton Agudosi said. "I know they said they wanted to pay us for it, but honestly, it's an honor just to be on the game because your whole life you grow up playing it. I don't really care if I get paid as long as I'm on it."
    If I were a college football athlete these would be my thoughts as well. What an honour just to be in the game. Such a loss...