Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: MLB 15 The Show: Smooth Pancakes' Colorado Rockies Franchise

• Facebook
  • Display
    The Rockies would have a great first game, but the pitching would again become a letdown, along with a plethora of errors, as the Rockies would drop another series.

The first game of the series would see the Rockies roar to life from the start. Colorado would come out swinging with a D.J. LeMahieu double, a RBI double by Troy Tulowitzki, a one run home run by Carlos Gonzalez and solo shots by Corey Dickerson and Michael McKenry to leap out to 5-0 first inning lead. The Rockies would add two more runs in the second inning with a RBI single by LeMahieu and a RBI fielder’s choice by Dickerson for two more runs, answered by the Athletics with a solo home run by Matt Olson to leave a 7-1 score. The third inning would see more blasts as Charlie Blackmon went yard with a solo shot, replied to by Craig Gentry in the bottom of the inning for an 8-2 mark. Colorado would get another run in the fifth inning when Blackmon smacked a triple to center, coming home to score on the same play thanks to a wild throw in from the outfield go wide of the third baseman and into the dugout out of play. A seventh inning solo home run by McKenry would be followed by a sacrifice fly by Josh Reddick in the bottom of the seventh for a 10-3 score. Both teams would then add two runs in the eighth inning, Tulowitzki launching a two run shot to left, while the Athletics would score on a pair of RBI ground outs for a 12-5 final.

Player of the game was Troy Tulowitzki, going 3-5 with two doubles and a two run home run, scoring two runs and driving in three RBI. Another top hitter was Michael McKenry, going 2-5 with two home runs, both solo shots, scoring two runs and two RBI. Top hitter for the Athletics was Craig Gentry, going 1-4 with a home run, one run scored and two RBI driven in. Winning pitcher was Kyle Kendrick to improve to 8-2, going 9.0 innings pitched for just Colorado’s second complete game of the season, giving up 5 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned runs, no walks and 10 strikeouts for a 3.32 ERA. Losing pitcher was Drew Pomeranz to drop to 7-5, going just 1.1 innings pitched, giving up 9 hits, 7 runs, 7 earned runs, no walks and 1 strikeout for a 3.43 ERA. The key stat of the game, both teams combined for eight home runs in the game.

The second game would see a lower scoring affair. The Rockies would jump out first, scoring one run on a Troy Tulowitzki sacrifice fly in the first inning. Oakland would answer back in the fourth inning with a two RBI single by Carson Blair to score Matt Olson and Coco Crisp for a 2-1 lead thanks to two straight throwing errors by the Rockies infield. The Rockies would tie the game up in the fifth on a RBI single by Wilin Rosario. The Athletics would retake the lead in the seventh inning with a RBI single by Ben Zobrist, Colorado responded in the eighth with a solo home run by Rosario to tie the game back up, and the Athletics would swipe the win in the bottom of the eighth inning on a sacrifice fly by Craig Gentry for a 4-3 win.

Player of the game was Tyler Ladendorf, going 2-4 with a single and a double and one run scored. Top hitter for the Rockies was Wilin Rosario, going 3-3 with a single, a double and a solo home run, scoring one run and driving in two RBI. Winning pitcher was Fernando Abad to improve to 4-1, going 1.0 innings pitched, giving up 1 hit, no runs or walks and 1 strikeout for a 2.37 ERA. Edward Mujica was tagged with his second blown save while Tyler Clippard got his thirteenth save. Starting pitcher Scott Kazmir went 7.0 innings pitched, giving up 7 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, no walks and 4 strikeouts for a 3.76 ERA. Losing pitcher was Tommy Kahnle to drop to 2-1, going 0.2 innings pitched, giving up 1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned run, no walks and 1 strikeout for a 3.77 ERA. Starting pitcher Jordan Lyles went 6.2 innings pitched, giving up 10 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, no walks and a 5 strikeouts for a 2.70 ERA.

The third game of the series would see low scoring affair turn into an A’s walk off. Colorado jumped out early with a second inning sacrifice fly by Corey Dickerson to take a 1-0 lead. That lead would last until the sixth inning, when back to back fielding errors on right fielder Dickerson would give the Athletics runners on third base, followed by a sacrifice fly by Ben Zobrist to give Oakland a 2-1 lead. The Rockies would tie it back up in the eighth inning on a RBI single by Matt McBride, but the Athletics would pull out the win in the bottom of the ninth on a one out walk off single by Matt Olson to score Zobrist from second base for a 3-2 win.

Player of the game was Ben Zobrist, going 1-3 with a single, a run scored and one RBI. Top hitter for the Rockies was Carlos Gonzalez going 2-4 with a single and a triple and one run scored. Winning pitcher was Evan Scribner to improve to 2-0, going 2.0 innings pitched, giving up 1 hit and no runs, walks or strikeouts for a 1.04 ERA. Starting pitcher Sonny Gray went 7.0 innings pitched, giving up 8 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, no walks and 3 strikeouts for a 2.83 ERA. Losing pitcher was John Axford to drop to 2-5, going 0.1 innings pitched, giving up 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run and no walks or strikeouts for a 4.64 ERA. Starting pitcher David Hale went 6.0 innings pitched, giving up 1 hit, 2 runs, 0 earned runs, no walks and 3 strikeouts for a 4.36 ERA.

Colorado – 12-17-2
    Oakland – 5-5-1

Colorado – 3-10-3
    Oakland – 4-12-0

Colorado – 2-9-2
    Oakland – 3-4-0

And so another series loss would bring the Rockies back to within one game of a .500 record, which pared with a Los Angeles Dodgers win on Wednesday would drop Colorado one and a half games back of the Dodgers, and leave the Rockies just one game breathing room from the San Francisco Giants, currently riding a three game winning streak.

MLB Standings through Thursday, July 2nd, 2015

American League

East
    Baltimore Orioles - 44-34
    New York Yankees - 41-38 (3.5 GB)
    Toronto Blue Jays - 41-39 (4.0 GB)
    Boston Red Sox - 37-43 (8.0 GB)
    Tampa Bay Rays - 35-45 (10.0 GB)

Central
    Minnesota Twins - 44-34
    Kansas City Royals - 42-36 (2.0 GB)
    Detroit Tigers - 40-39 (4.5 GB)
    Cleveland Indians - 35-43 (9.0 GB)
    Chicago White Sox - 32-46 (12.0)

West
    Oakland Athletics - 47-34
    Seattle Mariners - 44-34 (1.5 GB)
    Texas Rangers - 44-35 (2.0 GB)
    Los Angeles Angels - 35-44 (11.0 GB)
    Houston Astros - 35-46 (12.0 GB)

American League Wild Card (Teams within 4.5 games)
    Seattle Mariners - 44-34
    Texas Rangers - 44-35
    Kansas City Royals - 42-36 (1.5 GB)
    New York Yankees - 41-38 (3.0 GB)
    Toronto Blue Jays - 41-39 (3.5 GB)
    Detroit Tigers - 40-39 (4.0 GB)

National League

East
    Washington Nationals - 54-24
    Miami Marlins - 40-39 (14.5 GB)
    Philadelphia Phillies - 36-44 (19.0 GB)
    New York Mets - 35-44 (19.5 GB)
    Atlanta Braves - 32-46 (22.0 GB)

Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates - 46-31
    Milwaukee Brewers - 42-38 (5.5 GB)
    St. Louis Cardinals - 39-40 (8.0 GB)
    Chicago Cubs - 39-41 (8.5 GB)
    Cincinnati Reds - 33-46 (14.0 GB)

West
    Los Angeles Dodgers - 42-38
    Colorado Rockies - 40-39 (1.5 GB)
    San Francisco Giants - 39-40 (2.5 GB)
    San Diego Padres - 37-43 (5.0 GB)
    Arizona Diamondbacks - 36-43 (5.5 GB)

National League Wild Card (Teams within 3.5 games)
    Milwaukee Brewers - 42-38
    Miami Marlins - 40-39
    Colorado Rockies - 40-39
    St. Louis Cardinals - 39-40 (1.0 GB)
    San Francisco Giants - 39-40 (1.0 GB)
    Chicago Cubs - 39-41 (1.5 GB)
    San Diego Padres - 37-43 (3.5 GB)

Shamelessly borrowed from Steeler's franchise thread...

Major League Baseball Statistical Leaders through July 2, 2015

American League
    Batting Average: Jose Altuve (HOU) .342
    Hits: Jose Altuve (HOU) 111
    Doubles: Michael Bourn (CLE) 24
    Triples: Mike Trout (ANA) 8
    Home Runs: Evan Gattis (HOU) 19
    RBI: Evan Gattis (HOU) 58
    Runs: Erix Hosmer (KC) 53
    Stolen Bases: Emilio Bonifacio (CWS) 21
    Bases on Balls: Mike Trout (ANA) 43
    Slugging %: Mike Trout (ANA) .627
    OPS: Mike Trout (ANA) 1.059

Wins: Hisashi Iwakuma (SEA) 10 (10-5)
    Losses: Mark Buehrle (TOR) 2 (9-2)
    Saves: Brett Cicil (TOR), Glen Perkins (MIN) 29
    ERA: Chris Sale (CWS) 1.93
    HR Allowed: Corey Kluber (CLE) 3
    Shutouts: Felix Hernandez (SEA) 4
    Strikeouts: Yu Darvish (TEX) 147
    Complete Games: Felix Hernandez (SEA) 6
    Innings Pitched: Felix Hernandez (SEA) 114.2
    Walks Allowed: Scott Kazmir (OAK) 11
    WHIP: Felix Hernandez (SEA), Chris Sale (CWS) 0.90

National League
    Batting: Corey Dickerson (COL) .367
    Hits: Corey Dickerson (COL) 114
    Doubles: Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) 25
    Triples: Peter Bourjos (STL) 8
    Home Runs: Corey Dickerson (COL) 28
    RBI: Corey Dickerson (COL) 74
    Runs: Corey Dickerson (COL) 57
    Stolen Bases: Jean Segura (MIL) 21
    Bases on Balls: Lucas Duda (NYM) 42
    Slugging %: Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) .639
    OPS: Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) 1.035

Wins: Jose Fernandez (MIA) (9-3), Clayton Kershaw (LAD) (9-4), Jon Lester (CHC) (9-6) 9
    Losses: Max Scherzer (WAS) 0 (7-0)
    Saves: Drew Storen (WAS) 34
    ERA: Jose Fernandez (MIA) 1.29
    HR Allowed: Max Scherzer (WAS), Tyson Ross (SD) 2
    Shutouts: Jose Fernandez (MIA), Jake Peavy (SF) 3
    Strikeouts: Jose Fernandez (MIA) 130
    Complete Games: Jake Peavy (SF) 5
    Innings Pitched: Jon Lester (CHC) 113.2
    Walks Allowed: Kyle Kendrick (COL) 7
    WHIP: Jose Fernandez (MIA) 0.91

Max Scherzer was 7-0 on the season before suffering a torn pectoral against the Milwaukee Brewers on June 12th, landing him on the 60 day DL with a return time of 1-2 months.

Also shamelessly borrowed from Steeler's franchise thread...

Colorado Rockies Team Statistics (MLB Rank in Parenthesis)

Batting: .295 (1)
    Runs: 441 (1)
    Doubles: 145 (T2)
    Triples: 41 (1)
    Home Runs: 135 (1)
    RBI: 436 (1)
    Stolen Bases: 68 (5)
    Stolen Base %: .827 (T1)
    Bases on Balls: 150 (30)
    Strikeouts: 521 (1)
    Slugging %: .555 (1)
    On-Base %: .315 (14)
    GIDP: 39 (T7)

Assists: 611 (30)
    Put Outs: 2174 (13)
    Errors: 61 (30)
    Fielding %: .979 (30)

ERA: 4.20 (30)
    Complete Games: 2 (T26)
    Shutouts: 4 (T23)
    Saves: 14 (30)
    Blown Saves: 12 (T20)
    Hits Allowed: 743 (28)
    Runs Allowed: 384 (30)
    HR Allowed: 62 (8)
    Bases on Balls Allowed: 142 (1)
    Strikeouts: 760 (1)
    Win %: .506 (T13)

I have to be honest, as a slider guy those numbers make me queasy.

I was also tempted to do the player by player full stat run down similar to how Steeler did, but I'm on limited time this afternoon, so I'm going to just stick with the league stats and rankings and go from there.

In regards to a "state of the team", the Rockies have been holding their own, but a big turnaround is still needed if this team has any hope of contending for a Wild Card spot or even the NL West come August and September. a 40-39 record is more than respectable for thus far in the season, but the team will have to flip a switch if they hope to keep battling. The pitching seems almost beyond fixing. This team ranks almost dead last (and actually dead last) in numerous pitching categories and it is turning out almost impossible to keep from blowing leads that result in series losses. Things were going great through April and May, and then come June, everything went off the rails. The Rockies have one month to figure things out and decide which direction they want to go, because come the trade deadline, if they aren't in a position to compete for a playoff spot, some big moves may be on the horizon.

The biggest surprise of the season so far has been Corey Dickerson. The guy has just unloaded at the plate this year. His biggest concern however has been fielding, where he's committed 8 errors in right field and sports a .956 fielding %. But the hitting numbers cannot be denied. Dickerson has franchise player written all over him at only 25 years old. The only question will be how much will it cost to keep him, as Dickerson is in the final year of his contract. Some other surprises have been the rookies and younger players that have stepped up due to injuries. Rookie shortstop Cristhian Adames was nothing more than a bench warmer called up due to the Drew Stubbs injury, but instead he has become a mainstay on the major league roster and will become a key name in future months and seasons.

The biggest disappointment by far has been pitching. David Hale (who was at one point in the runner for being considered a top 2 pitcher in the rotation) stands at 3-5 on the year, Eddie Butler has already been booted down to AAA Albuquerque after a disastrous 2-8 record and 8.86 ERA pitching from the #5 spot. Meanwhile the ERAs are starting to climb and the losses are starting to rack up for all pitchers. Adam Ottavino (2-5, 3.15 ERA) has already been kicked out of the set-up spot in the bullpen and replaced with Boone Logan (0-0, 5.22 ERA), while John Axford (2-5, 4.64 ERA, 10 saves) is starting to look more and more like a lost cause at closer as he has been getting lit up recently and has started added loss after loss.

Wholesale changes may be coming to the pitching staff. The Rockies minor leagues are chock full of producing pitchers at the moment. In AAA Albuquerque, starting pitchers Jon Gray (6-4, 2.93 ERA) and Christian Bergman (5-1, 2.00 ERA) are becoming more and more favorable for call-ups later this season if current pitchers on the major league starting rotation don't start producing better results. Relief pitching might see the biggest shuffle as John Lannan (6-2, 3.82 ERA), Justin Miller (8-1, 2.96 ERA) and Tyler Ybarra (5-2, 1.66 ERA) all look more and more like outstanding candidates to add to the major league bullpen in an effort to turn things around.

There are also promising prospects of the future in AA New Britain, where rookie starting pitcher Mike Nikorak has taken the Eastern League by storm with a 7-0 record and 1.77 ERA in only 8 starts. Starting pitchers Boone Whiting (3-0, 3.34 ERA in 7 starts) and Chris Rusin (6-4, 3.15 ERA in 15 starts) both also look like future candidates for promotion to AAA. Unfortunately the relief pitching dries up almost entirely in AA, where Kraig Sitton (3-1, 3.16 ERA) is the only viable candidate for promotion right now.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I have to be honest, as a slider guy those numbers make me queasy.
    Yeah, I left my sliders sit for far too long in April and May, which really screwed up the numbers. The June user numbers have really come down to reality. At the beginning of June I dropped human power, timing and solid hits all by a click or two, which has really sapped up some of my hitting power in the past month. I also bumped up CPU contact and timing by a click or two which has also led to my downfall in pitching.

With July, August and September, the numbers should start to fall more in line once I get more than a single month of data with the decreased user sliders. I've certainly noticed the changes in June seeing as I stumbled to a 12-17 record. If the numbers don't fall as expected as I get to the end of July, I may bump human timing and solid hits down another click, see if that normalizes things at all through August and September.

Probably the biggest mistake was just jumping straight into franchise mode as soon as I had my franchise roster finalized and ready to go, instead of taking a week or two to just play a bunch of games with it and try and dial in and fine tune my sliders. Instead I just went with what my sliders were at the time and planned to dial them in on the fly, leading to an over-productive April and May that has thrown things off a bit.

Colorado Rockies (40-39) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (36-43)
    July 2-5, 2015
    Chase Field - Phoenix, Arizona

Probable Starters:

Game One - Thursday 6:40 PM
    Tyler Matzek (2-0, 2.25 ERA) vs Bronson Arroyo (4-5, 3.10 ERA)

Game Two - Friday 6:40 PM
    Tyler Chatwood (8-4, 3.82 ERA) vs Andrew Chafin (2-1, 2.12 ERA)

Game Three - Saturday 7:10 PM
    Kyle Kendrick (8-2, 3.32 ERA) vs Archie Bradley (4-6, 6.11 ERA)

Game Four - Sunday 1:10 PM
    Jordan Lyles (5-4, 2.70 ERA) vs Josh Collmenter (6-5, 2.94 ERA)

Upcoming Opponents:
    vs Los Angeles Angels (2 games), vs Atlanta Braves (4 games), All-Star Break

Yet another series loss would end the month of June with a 12-17 record for the Rockies, their worst month of the season. At one point holding outright possession of the NL West, the Rockies now trail the first place Los Angeles Dodgers by 1.5 games, and lead the third place San Francisco Giants by just a single game. This could very well be the make or break point of the season if the Rockies fail to win the series or at least take two games from the Diamondbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, I left my sliders sit for far too long in April and May, which really screwed up the numbers. The June user numbers have really come down to reality. At the beginning of June I dropped human power, timing and solid hits all by a click or two, which has really sapped up some of my hitting power in the past month. I also bumped up CPU contact and timing by a click or two which has also led to my downfall in pitching.

With July, August and September, the numbers should start to fall more in line once I get more than a single month of data with the decreased user sliders. I've certainly noticed the changes in June seeing as I stumbled to a 12-17 record. If the numbers don't fall as expected as I get to the end of July, I may bump human timing and solid hits down another click, see if that normalizes things at all through August and September.

Probably the biggest mistake was just jumping straight into franchise mode as soon as I had my franchise roster finalized and ready to go, instead of taking a week or two to just play a bunch of games with it and try and dial in and fine tune my sliders. Instead I just went with what my sliders were at the time and planned to dial them in on the fly, leading to an over-productive April and May that has thrown things off a bit.
    I don't see your W-L as particularly problematic. Your games have way too many hits (both ways) and your pitching staff has a very high number of Ks. It seems as though you are either first or worst in everything. The goal, for practical purposes, should to be neither in anything.

If I can help, don't hesitate to ask.

All of that said, I am enjoying following along. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I don't see your W-L as particularly problematic. Your games have way too many hits (both ways) and your pitching staff has a very high number of Ks. It seems as though you are either first or worst in everything. The goal, for practical purposes, should to be neither in anything.

If I can help, don't hesitate to ask.

All of that said, I am enjoying following along. Keep up the good work!
    Yeah, I'm trying to reel that in. Before kicking off the Arizona series to open July, instead of waiting for another month, I went ahead and dropped human contact and timing both by one, dropped CPU contact by one and raised fielder run speed by one to try and give the outfielders some better cover distance.

Let me see how the numbers play out in July, if things still aren't jiving, I'll run some sliders by you for thoughts.