Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Montana Football (VR) - TBA

• Facebook
  • Display

Joe Montana Football (VR) - TBA

Friday afternoon, Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana put out the following tweet, seemingly beginning hype for 'Joe Montana Football 16.'

Could this be the return of 2K football or another company entering the football video game market? Or is this just another campaign for Skechers featuring Montana?

The former San Francisco and Kansas City play-caller will be taking part in a special 'Legends of Candlestick' event Saturday.

We will update this thread with further clarification as it becomes available.
    Last edited by cdj; 07-11-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Very interesting. I will be following this closely to see what the story is all about. It would be great to see the arrival of another game. However, if anything I expect this to be a facebook/ipad type game...???

If it is as bad as the original then and

That was the worst American Football game I ever played.

Hopefully it actually happens. Will it be pro or college?

I'll be watching, but absolutely NO expectations whatsoever. And definitely NOT a day one buy regardless. I'd want a plethora of reviews before I'd even consider it.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk because I'm a lazy ass

No expectations either. He did have the first game with live play by play.

The original game had cheap AI. I hated that game. The second one, Sports Talk Football, was much better.

I wouldn't use this to place any bets, but 2K employee (marketing, I think) Josh Goldberg RT'd Montana's tweet this morning. Looking through his timeline, he only seems to tweet game-related items for those made by 2K.

Not saying I think this is the return of 2K football, but did want to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I wouldn't use this to place any bets, but 2K employee (marketing, I think) Josh Goldberg RT'd Montana's tweet this morning. Looking through his timeline, he only seems to tweet game-related items for those made by 2K.

Not saying I think this is the return of 2K football, but did want to point that out.
    The chaos of a new 2K game would create would be delicious to watch on message boards.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post

Didn't one of the 2k guys say on twitter recently that 2K wasn't making a football game because EA still holds the exclusive license? Any game would therefore be generic.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    The chaos of a new 2K game would create would be delicious to watch on message boards.
    I would welcome it. If it was decent, it's good for everyone. If it's awful, it might just neuter the 2K-gasm. Either way, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I would welcome it. If it was decent, it's good for everyone. If it's awful, it might just neuter the 2K-gasm. Either way, I'm happy.
    We have similar wishes.

I've considered buying a dream cast to play 2k1 again but hell if I can find one locally. Miss them days. Would of been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Didn't one of the 2k guys say on twitter recently that 2K wasn't making a football game because EA still holds the exclusive license? Any game would therefore be generic.
    I think so.

Right now I am guessing this is for an app or perhaps another MLBAM title (think RBI Baseball). If it is a full-fledged console title, I expect it would utilize legends ala APF 2K8.

If this was a serious game for a console they would have shown it at E3 IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Maybe it's in the early stages?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but IMO the timing of this tease implies it could be something halfway legit. It's way too early to show off a 2015 sports title (what the '16 implies) and if anything, it gets people thinking of a potential competitor during the Madden pre-release season. (Though, until I see/find something concrete, I'm going with this being something along the lines of a mobile game which as you stated, would not be shown at E3.)

FWIW, I cannot find a trademark for 'Joe Montana Football,' but in February of this year he did trademark his name and signature. Either he landed a big deal then (was already with Skechers) or decided to be more aggressive in marketing efforts (two ex-wives, currently with #3). It'll be interesting to see if he posts any future teases and if other former players do the same.

Well the Candlestick classic event was today right? So if there are no more tweets after this, then it may just have been publicity: aka you've waited to see me pull on the old #16 and play again and so I'm back for today. I just don't see any legit companies stepping up to make a full console game. I would love it if 2k were behind a move like this but after 10 years of hoping 2k would go all in with football... I just don't ever see it happening.

The more I think about it, the less likely a mobile game makes sense to me. For a generic mobile game, who would care about name recognition? You don't see Wayne Gretzky NHL ipad game or Kareem Abdul Jabar bball for android devices. Generally these games are made to be low cost so why worry about landing a big name?

Via OS, it's likely a mobile game:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...d-UE4-Engineer