Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: Steelerfan's Houston Astros Franchise

• Facebook
  • Display
    On Monday Delino DeShields, Jr. went 3 for 3 with a 2-run home run but the Astros lost to Atlanta, 8-3.

Asher Wojciechowski was the losing pitcher. Wojo lasted just 3 innings and allowed 5 runs on 7 hits.

HOU 3-6-0
    ATL 8-12-0

Also on Monday, the Astros claimed RP Matt Albers off waivers from the Oakland Athletics and placed RP Bruce Rondon on outright assignment waivers.

Albers was traded to the A's just over a week ago as part of a six-player deal that brought Scott Kazmir and Luke Gregerson to Houston.

The Astros lost their fourth in a row on Tuesday, falling 2-1 to Washington.

Brett Oberholtzer allowed a run on 5 hits in 5 innings but did not factor in the decision as Gregerson took the L out of the bullpen.

WAS 2-10-0
    HOU 1-7-1

Mike Foltynewicz took the mound on Wednesday against Atlanta and allowed just 2 runs on 2 hits in 5 innings. However, he left the game with the Astros trailing 2-0 and would wind up the loser in a 7-2 decision.

ATL 7-7-2
    HOU 2-6-1

The losing continued on Thursday as Houston lost their 6th in a row. This time it was a 6-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Chris Carter and Domonic Brown each homered for Houston but it was not enough to stop the losing streak which is, no doubt, heavily attributed to the Astros use of their full roster this Spring.

Brad Peacock got the start for Houston and pitched 4 innings, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits. Jason Motte took the loss as he allowed 3 runs on 3 hits, including a home run, in an inning of work.

Former Astro Scott Feldman started for the Pirates. Feldman surrendered 2 runs on 5 hits, including Carter's 2nd inning bomb.

HOU 3-13-0
    PIT 6-11-0

Following the waiver claim of Matt Albers from Oakland and having Bruce Rondon clear waivers, the Astros were forced to make room on their 90-man roster and have released 25-year-old 1B Chris Serritella (52, D). Serritella was acquired as part of a 6-man deal with the Philadelphia Phillies last July.

The more they play, the more they lose.

The Astros Spring Training losing streak has reached 8 games and they have lost 10 of 11, after winning their first 3 Grapefruit League contests.

However, first-year skipper Andres Pace does not seem too concerned. "It's about evaluating players, finding the right 25, getting guys work. Not so much about winning, but we certainly don't want this losing to be comfortable, habitual. I don't believe it's either. The guys are working hard and we're not managing these games situationally."

On Saturday Houston lost to the Mets, 6-4. Matt Dominguez continued his hot Spring as he went 3 for 4 with a run and an RBI.

Mark Appel got his first start of the Spring and pitched well. Appel allowed 2 runs on 3 hits with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings. However, closer Jesse Crain allowed 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th and took his second loss. Crain's ERA has ballooned to 19.28.

Eric Gutierrez hit his first professional home run in a 6-4 loss to Washington on Sunday. Gutierrez went 2 for 2 with a run and 2 RBI.

Luis Cruz took the mound for Houston and allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and 3 walks in 5 innings on the hill. Jason Stoffel have up 4 runs in the 8th to suffer his first defeat of the Spring.

HOU 4-12-1
    NYM 6-7-0

WAS 6-9-0
    HOU 4-10-1

The Astros snapped their 8-game losing streak with a 7-4 win over the Yankees on Monday.

Matt Dominguez continued his hot Spring, going 2 for 3 with a run and an RBI.

Paul Clemens pitched 5 scoreless innings, allowing just 4 hits, for his first win and Jesse Crain hurled a perfect 9th inning for his second save.

HOU 7-8-0
    NYY 4-8-1

On Tuesday manager Andres Pace took the pitch count collar off of Jarred Cosart - something he plans to do for each starter for one start this Spring - and Houston won their second in a row.

Cosart responded with a complete game and allowed just one run on 5 hits while striking out 10 and not issuing a walk.

Dominguez was 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored as the third sacker saw his Spring average dip below .400 to .393.

PIT 1-5-0
    HOU 2-6-0

Houston continued their winning ways with two more wins on Wednesday and Thursday, improving their record to 8-10 and lengthening their winning streak to 4 games.

Dexter Fowler went 2 for 4 with a double and 3 RBI in a 5-2 win over Atlanta on Wednesday.

On the mound, Ian Kennedy allowed one run on 7 hits with 5 strikeouts and a walk in 6 innings and Jesse Crain earned his 3rd save with a perfect ninth inning.

ATL 2-11-1
    HOU 5-8-1

On Thursday the Astros got a triple from Chris Carter, who went 2 for 3, and a solo home run from Matt Dominguez in a 3-1 win over the Mets.

Scott Kazmir pitched 7 innings and surrendered 1 run on 7 hits with 6 Ks and he did not issue a base on balls. Crain allowed a hit and a walk in the ninth inning but held on for his 4th save.

HOU 3-8-0
    NYM 1-9-1

The Astros 4-game winning streak ended with a 1-0 ten inning loss to the Phillies on Thursday.

Asher Wojciechowski went 7 scoreless innings, struck out 5, walked 4 and allowed 5 hits in a no-decision. Luis Cruz (0-2, 7.71) was tagged for the loss.

HOU 0-4-0
    PHI 1-8-0

Houston took Saturday off before getting back into the win column with a 2-1 victory over the Marlins.

Jon Singleton went 2 for 4 with a solo home run to lead the attack while Brett Oberholtzer pitched 8 innings and allowed a run on 6 hits with 4 Ks and a walk to improve to 1-1. Jesse Crain notched his 5th save.

MIA 1-6-0
    HOU 2-6-2

The Astros dropped 2 more games on Monday and Tuesday, losing to the Marlins and the Yankees.

Mike Foltynewicz took the loss against Miami as he allowed 2 runs (1 earned) on 6 hits with 5 strikeouts and no walks in 6.2 innings.

With a lineup of fringe, bubble and minor league players - something manager Andres Pace plans to deploy for much, if not all, of the remainder of Spring Training - the only punch came from a Jon Singleton 7th inning solo homer.

HOU 1-3-1
    MIA 2-8-0

On Tuesday George Springer's 9th inning pinch-hit double was the line offensive bright spot in a 6-0 loss.

Mark Appel was the loading pitcher for Houston. He pitched 5 innings and surrendered a pair of runs on 5 hits but walked a whopping 8 while punching out 3.

NYY 6-11-2
    HOU 0-4-1

Going for one more full season before FIFA?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Going for one more full season before FIFA?
    I don't think so, buddy. I think I'm going to finish the Spring and quit until next year. I'm thinking about being Madden simply because I don't have a current gen American Football game. I'm probably regret getting Madden but, oh well, it's only $60.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I don't think so, buddy. I think I'm going to finish the Spring and quit until next year. I'm thinking about being Madden simply because I don't have a current gen American Football game. I'm probably regret getting Madden but, oh well, it's only $60.
    Yup gotta get your football fix. Last time you were thinking about starting a new Stros franchise with this year's players. This the last time we will see the 2014 esque Houston Astros dynasty?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Yup gotta get your football fix. Last time you were thinking about starting a new Stros franchise with this year's players. This the last time we will see the 2014 esque Houston Astros dynasty?
    No. I have no plans to discontinue this franchise in the foreseeable future. I will continue with this same file in MLB 16 and beyond.

The Astros losing streak reached 3 games with a loss to the Tigers.

DET 4-10-1
    HOU 1-2-0

Houston continues to struggle offensively this Spring as Jose Altuve and Juan Valencia managed to reach on a pair of singles for the Astros only hits.

Matt Albers took the loss, allowing 3 runs on 2 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in a very rough ninth inning.

Houston will take Saturday off before wrapping up the Spring schedule with games against Kansas City on Sunday and Monday.
    Last edited by steelerfan; 02-05-2016 at 01:01 AM.

The Astros' losing streak and offensive woes vanished with an 8-3 win on Sunday.

KC 3-14-2
    HOU 8-9-0

Backup catcher Carlos Perez led the charge with 3 hits while Alex Presley had a pair of doubles and 3 RBI. Ronald Torreyes was 1 for 2 with 2 walks, a double and 3 runs scored.

Houston and Kansas City play again at 1:05 tomorrow to end the Spring schedule.

Alex Grossman and Charlie Barbour each had a pair of hits but Paul Clemens was tagged for 6 runs in 3.1 innings and the Astros ended the Spring with a 6-4 loss to the Royals at Minute Maid Park.

KC 6-13-1
    HOU 4-6-0

Houston finished 11-16 in the Grapefruit League which was only better than Baltimore (10-19).

The Astros struggled to produce at the plate throughout Spring Training. Houston hit just .215 and had a Slugging % of .308 while their On-Base % was just .270.

The Astros had only 52 extra base hits and just 11 of those were home runs.

The Astros pitching staff had a cumulative ERA of 3.66. The Astros hit .255 with a 3.98 ERA in 2015.

Went through this thread tonight and read alot of it, to give myself a little refresher on how I got from 2014 to 2016. I am so ready to get back to this franchise and my 3rd season with the Astros!

I'm really excited at the prospect of eventually seeing my 2014 1st overall pick, Omar Espinoza, reach the Majors. I'm not too sure that will happen in 2016 but it almost certainly will in 2017.

That is the beauty of year-to-year saves. I drafted that kid 2 years ago (2 real years) and I'm still anticipating his arrival. Whenever, even in the offseason, I sit around and think about this Franchise and where it will go and how it will unfold I think about Omar Espinoza. It's crazy that a fictitious player in a baseball video game is so important to me but it's because I'm so vested in this Franchise. I want to play his entire career eventually even if that means I'm using this same save file on MLB The Show 35, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Went through this thread tonight and read alot of it, to give myself a little refresher on how I got from 2014 to 2016. I am so ready to get back to this franchise and my 3rd season with the Astros!

I'm really excited at the prospect of eventually seeing my 2014 1st overall pick, Omar Espinoza, reach the Majors. I'm not too sure that will happen in 2016 but it almost certainly will in 2017.

That is the beauty of year-to-year saves. I drafted that kid 2 years ago (2 real years) and I'm still anticipating his arrival. Whenever, even in the offseason, I sit around and think about this Franchise and where it will go and how it will unfold I think about Omar Espinoza. It's crazy that a fictitious player in a baseball video game is so important to me but it's because I'm so vested in this Franchise. I want to play his entire career eventually even if that means I'm using this same save file on MLB The Show 35, lol.
    That's why I am kinda getting into it this year for GM mode. To see people progress in the system.
    The dude abides.

Just a little update on this Franchise.

Patch 1.05 dropped this morning and I've had a chance to look at my roster and, specifically, at Morale. It appears as though this latest update has fixed the prior issues with Morale (every player expected to be an Ace, Closer or Star).

Unless something else breaks with this patch, I'm ready to get back into this Franchise.

Go Astros!

2016 Houston Astros Opening Day Roster

Lineup
    2B Jose Altuve 85
    CF Dexter Fowler 86
    RF George Springer 85
    1B Chris Carter 85
    LF Domonic Brown 87
    DH Juan Valencia* 75
    C Jason Castro 81
    SS Carlos Correa 80
    3B Matt Dominguez 76

Bench
    MIF Ronald Torreyes* 74
    C/CIF Charlie Barbour 71
    IF Eric Gutierrez* 73
    OF Alex Presley 72

Rotation
    R Jarred Cosart 90
    R Ian Kennedy 85
    L Scott Kazmir 84
    R Asher Wojciechowski 76
    L Brett Oberholtzer 80

Bullpen
    R Mike Foltynewicz 76

R Jason Motte 81
    L Darin Downs 68
    R Josh Fields 75

L JP Howell 78
    R Luke Gregerson 79

R Jesse Crain 83

*denotes MLB rookie

Rest of 40-man Roster
    SP Luis Cruz 75
    SP Brad Peacock 74
    SP Mark Appel 73
    RP Matt Albers 71
    LF Randy Grossman 71
    SP Paul Clemens 70
    SS Adeiny Hechavarria 70
    C Carlos Perez 70
    2B Emil Arnez 69
    1B Jon Singleton 68
    RP Jason Stoffel 68
    RP Anthony Bass 67
    SS Marwin Gonzalez 67
    C Tyler Heineman 67
    CF Delino DeShields 67

Other Notable AAA Players
    3B Stanley Knott 68 D
    RP Bruce Rondon 68 B
    RF Andrew Aplin 66 B
    LF Austin Dean 66 B
    1B Clint Robinson 63 C
    CP Will Looney 61 B

Notable AA Players
    SP Omar Espinoza 72 A
    SP Brady Rodgers 72 C
    SP Nick Tropeano 71 B
    SP Lance McCullers 69 B
    3B Rio Ruiz 68 B
    LF Marco Pena 63 B
    CF Teoscar Hernandez 62 B
    LF Vaughn Sambol 62 B

Notable A Players
    SP Vincent Velasquez 68 B

2016 Houston Astros Staff

General Manager: Jeff Luhnow
    Contract Status: Year 2 of 3
    Job Security: Average
    GM Rating: A
    Yearly Goal: Finish over .500
    Contract Goal: Reach Postseason (Achieved)

Manager: Andres Pace
    Coach Attributes: A
    Reaction: +3
    Arm Accuracy: +2
    Plate Vision: -1
    Velocity +1

Hitting Coach: Joel Shelton
    Coach Attributes: A
    Plate Discipline: -2
    Power: +2
    Batting Clutch: +2

Pitching Coach: Stephen Vasquez