Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: steelerfan's RTTS Progress

• Facebook
  • Display
    In game 2, I came in in the top of the 5th with a runner at first and one out. The Red Sox led, 5-1. I got through the test of the 5th without allowing a batter to reach base but my night ended there.

The Cubs rallied from an eventual 6-1 deficit to win it 7-6. Chicago has gotten back to .500 at 15-15.

#TheScriptIsDead

Game 3 saw the Sox jump to another big lead early and I was called on in the top of the 4th with one on and nobody out and Boston leading 5-0.

No damage in the 5th as a single followed a 5-4-3 double play but that runner was stranded.

In the 6th I allowed a sequence of single-triple-single sandwiched between a pair of flyouts and was lifted with 2 away.

It was a poor outing for me as I allowed 2 runs on 4 hits in 1.2 innings and the Sox went on to win 8-0.

#TheScriptIsDead

Surprisingly, I did not get into the next 7 games. By the time my number was called again, we were in St. Louis and were trailing the Cards 6-1 with 2 outs and a runner at second in the bottom of the 3rd in a Sunday night Mother's Day match up.

I got the only hitter I faced in the 3rd to fly to center and was on to the 4th still down 6-1.

In the 4th I allowed a walk and a single but I also recorded a punch out and got a scoreless inning of work in before giving way to a pinch hitter.

We wound up losing the game 7-3 but I had a pretty good outing, lasting 1.1 innings.

The loss dropped the Cubs to 18-21.

#TheScriptIsDead

3 days later we were in Toronto and I came on in the bottom of the 5th. Runner at 2nd, no outs and the Jays led 6-5.

A punch out and a pair of ground outs ended that that and I took the hill again in the 6th, still trailing 6-5.

I danced out of trouble in the 6th, after giving up a pair of singles to start the inning, by getting a double play ball and a flyout.

It was still 6-5 Toronto when I cane out for the 7th. I allowed a 2-out double followed by a walk but escaped without allowing a run and my night was finished.

Toronto held on for a 6-5 win and dropped us to 19-23 on the year. I pitched 3 scoreless innings, allowing 3 hits and a walk with one strikeout.

#TheScriptIsDead

After sitting out 4 games, I was back at it at Wrigley Field when I was called in to start the 10th inning of a 4-4 game with Philadelphia.

A strikeout and a walk were the only notables in the 10th and I was able to come back out to pitch the 11th.

A single, a punch out and a triple ended my night with the potential loss on my hands but the Cubs forced a 12th inning by knotting the score at 5. Eventually Chicago won 6-5 in 17 innings.

For my part, it was an unimpressive outing which was disappointing because I'd been wanting "important" innings. In 1.1 innings I allowed a run on 2 hits and a walk with a pair of strikeouts, raising my ERA to 1.73.

With the win, the Cubs are now 22-25 and are 3rd in the NL Central, 7 games behind the division-leading Reds.

#TheScriptIsDead

I was called on the next night, entering the game in the top of the 2nd and trailing Philadelphia 3-2.

I pitched a 1-2-3 2nd inning that included a strikeout and I had a chance to bat with no one on and 2 out in the bottom half of the inning. I popped out to first and we were on to the 3rd.

Dominic Brown hit a 1-out home run, his second of the game, off of me in the 3rd but that was the only damage as I followed the long ball with a pair of strikeouts.

Still trailing, 4-2, I was left in to pitch the 4th inning. I struck one out and allowed a double but no one scored in the inning and my night was over.

The Phillies won, 5-4. I pitched 3 innings, allowing a run on 2 hits with a career-best 4 strikeouts. The loss dumped us to 22-26 on the season.

#TheScriptIsDead

2 days later, I was brought in to start the bottom of the 8th in Atlanta with the Braves leading, 6-0.

I gave up a pair of singles but no runs in 2/3 of an inning and the Braves held on for the 6-0 win. The loss puts Chicago at 22-28 through 50 games this season.

#TheScriptIsDead

The next night, I was back on the hill coming on to start the bottom of the 5th with a 5-2 deficit in Atlanta.

A triple and an error (E1) had runners at the corners with one away but a double play got me out of trouble in my only inning of work.

The Braves won it, 7-3 and Chicago is now 22-29.

#TheScriptIsDead

I didn't get into any of the 4 remaining games in May.

Through the end of May, I am 2-0 with a 1.76 ERA in 30.2 innings of work over 22 appearances. I have struck out 17 and walked 8 while allowing 3 home runs. My WHIP is 1.21, lefties are batting .340 against me, righties are .197 and my overall opponent batting average is .257.

Our closer, Joakim Soria is having a good year. He's converted 16 of 19 save opportunities with an ERA of 2.38. Because of this, I'm not really hopeful that I'll take his spot but I'd love the opportunity to slide into a setup role as I still think my abilities are being wasted on being an "innings-eater".

At 25-30, the Cubs are 4th in the NL Central, 10.5 games behind Cincinnati. The Reds (37-21) have the second best record in all of baseball, behind only the Dodgers (39-20).

Of note, the Blue Jays are 4th in the AL East at 27-29, the Astros are 4th in the AL West at 27-30, the Pirates are 3rd in the NL Central at 26-30 and the Rockies are 5th in the NL West at 24-34.

#TheScriptIsDead

My next outing was against the Giants in San Francisco. I was called upon with one on and one out in the boron of the 5th and with the Giants leading 5-0.

The runner that I inherited was caught trying to steal second meaning that the subsequent triple and walk that I allowed did not result in any runs. However, my night was finished and we lost, 6-3 and fell to 25-31.

#TheScriptIsDead

Two nights later I took the mound in Arizona, trailing 3-0 in the bottom of the 5th with one on and one out.

AJ Pollock hit a two-run homer to left center to get my night off to a horrible start. I retired the next 3 in order but the damage was done and the Diamondbacks led 5-0.

I only pitched the one inning and we were on the wrong side of the 5-0 final. The Cubs are now 25-33, having lost 8 of 11.

#TheScriptIsDead

After the game in Arizona, I was optioned to AAA Iowa to be the Iowa Cubs closer. With a 1.95 ERA in the Majors, I was infuriated and felt the move was completely unjust.

I really have to consider whether or not I want to continue with the Chicago Cubs organization. I truly feel that I have the talent to stick in the Majors at this point and I believe that my performance thus far in 2017 backs up that notion.

Of course, my contract expires after this season and at that point (and perhaps before) it may be time to show the club that I won't be shuffled about when I should have a significant role with their big league squad, particularly when that club is struggling.

I'm not satisfied with the thought process that Iowa will give me a chance to develop as a closer. There are clubs like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Cleveland, Kansas City, Texas, Houston, the Mets and Philadelphia who I believe would let me close for their Major League club now.

I need to cool off before making such a big decision, in any case.

#TheScriptIsDead

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    After the game in Arizona, I was optioned to AAA Iowa to be the Iowa Cubs closer. With a 1.95 ERA in the Majors, I was infuriated and felt the move was completely unjust.

I really have to consider whether or not I want to continue with the Chicago Cubs organization. I truly feel that I have the talent to stick in the Majors at this point and I believe that my performance thus far in 2017 backs up that notion.

Of course, my contract expires after this season and at that point (and perhaps before) it may be time to show the club that I won't be shuffled about when I should have a significant role with their big league squad, particularly when that club is struggling.

I'm not satisfied with the thought process that Iowa will give me a chance to develop as a closer. There are clubs like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Colorado, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Cleveland, Kansas City, Texas, Houston, the Mets and Philadelphia who I believe would let me close for their Major League club now.

I need to cool off before making such a big decision, in any case.

#TheScriptIsDead
    Wow! That is unbelievable. Your guy is lights out and you are going back to AAA. Unbelievable! I must say that I find the logic in RTTS very flawed. My own #rd baseman RTTS is proff of that.

The real Q is do you want to be a long-term Chicago guy? If so, suck it up and you may be "the guy" as early as next season. However, if you want it NOW, then call for the trade. The real downside is that the team you go to you may not want to be a part of. Just imagine what a pitching career in Colorado would be like with the stadium they have and the altitude?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Wow! That is unbelievable. Your guy is lights out and you are going back to AAA. Unbelievable! I must say that I find the logic in RTTS very flawed. My own #rd baseman RTTS is proff of that.

The real Q is do you want to be a long-term Chicago guy? If so, suck it up and you may be "the guy" as early as next season. However, if you want it NOW, then call for the trade. The real downside is that the team you go to you may not want to be a part of. Just imagine what a pitching career in Colorado would be like with the stadium they have and the altitude?
    The game only offers RETIRE right now in the Player Interactions. I'm assuming it's going to make me play a bit before I can ask for a trade or anything. To be honest, that's best. It's keeping me from making a knee jerk decision.

#TheScriptIsDead

A few days later, I was able to take the field as the closer in Iowa. I came in with a 3-1 lead on the 9th against Salt Lake.

The 9th went 4-3, K, P5 and, just like that, I had my first save of 2017.

The Iowa Cubs are now 29-37.

#TheScriptIsDead

A week later we had a 5-4 lead on the 9th in Fresno and I was called on again.

I got my second save, despite a single and an intentional walk.

The Cubs are now 33-40.

#TheScriptIsDead

The next night, still in Fresno, I came in to start the 9th inning with a 2-0 lead.

5-3, K, K and an easy save.

Obviously, I'm off to a very good start in Iowa but my goal is still to be in the big leagues and playing an important relief role. Ideally it would be with a club that is a consistent playoff team but I need to be a mainstay before I get caught up in team results.

Iowa improves to 34-40.

#TheScriptIsDead

4 nights later in Sacramento I entered another save situation starting the ninth with a 6-4 lead.

I gave up a 2-out single but struck out the next batter looking for my 4th save in as many tries in this latest stint with Iowa.

With the 6-4 win, the Cubs improve to 37-41.

#TheScriptIsDead

Next up was a home game against Oklahoma City. I came on to pitch the 9th with a 2-1 lead.

I made quick work of the RedHawks, L3, P3, L5, and that marked my 5th save and improved the club's record to 38-43.

#TheScriptIsDead

My next outing was at home in a 5-5 game in the top of the 12th against Omaha.

I faced 2 batters and struck out the first before allowing a single. Facing the 3rd batter, I had to be replaced due to injury and we wound up losing 8-5 in 13.

I have a blister on a finger on my throwing hand so I'll probably miss a few days but it's nothing serious.

#TheScriptIsDead