Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB The Show: steelerfan's RTTS Progress

• Facebook
  • Display
    After missing a few days with a finger blister, I took to the hill again in Colorado Springs where we had a 3-1 lead on the bottom of the 9th.

I got the first batter looking at a 3-2 fastball, the second hitter grounded to third and the last hitter flew out to center to complete a 1-2-3 save opportunity for me.

The Iowa Cubs are now 42-48 and are still dead last in the PCL American North.

#TheScriptIsDead

Two nights later we were in Memphis and I was called upon with 1 on and 1 out with a 8-5 lead on the bottom of the 12th.

The first batter popped out to the catcher and I struck the second batter out swinging after a 12 pitch at-bat to earn my 7th save.

Our record is now 43-49.

#TheScriptIsDead

The next night in Memphis we had a 9-7 lead as I entered to pitch the 9th.

After allowing a lead off single, I punched out the next 2 batters and closed the game out when the next hitter grounded to first and was named Player of the Game.

8 saves in 8 opportunities and the team improves to 44-49.

#TheScriptIsDead

An eerily similar situation the next night as we, again, led the Redbirds 9-7 when I came in to close out the 9th.

The lead off man hit a dribbler in front of the plate and was thrown out 2 to 1. The second man up popped to third and, finally, the last hitter flew to right giving me my 9th save as Iowa completed the comeback in a game that saw us down 6-0 after 2 innings.

The Iowa Cubs improve to 45-49.

#TheScriptIsDead

With 10 appearances in AAA having resulted in a 0.00 ERA and 9 saves in 9 opportunities, I decided to turn in a trade request to management. I was told that the Cubs don't want players who don't want to be part of the organization and that the club would try to move me before the trade deadline.

#TheScriptIsDead

Good job Steeler! Keep this up and... knowing the Cubs organization... you should be sent down to AA by the end of the week.

I got what I asked for. The Cubs traded me to the Washington Nationals for 26-year-old CF Brian Goodwin (68 OVR, A Potential).

It looks as though the Nationals will start me out as the closer in AAA Syracuse. While that part of the deal is a lateral move, organizationally the Nats are weaker at the MLB level with regards to their closer.

While the Cubs have 32-year-old Joakim Soria (78 OVR, B Potential), Washington has 37-year-old Rafael Soriano (76 OVR, A Potential). The road to being Washington's closer would appear to be easier than what I had in Chicago.

While I would have preferred going to a club without a viable closer, I landed with an organization that is competing for a playoff spot as the Nationals are just 1 game back of Atlanta in the NL East and, with a talent-laden roster, they should be setup to succeed into the near future.

Hopefully I won't live to regret the trade request.

#TheScriptIsDead

I got my first chance to make an impact for my new club a few nights later. Leading Buffalo 5-3, I came on in the top of the 9th to try and close things out in front of the home fans.

I allowed a pair of singles and a double but a punch out and a 5-4-3 double play helped me earn my 10th save though I did allow my first run in AAA this season.

Not a very strong performance but I'm just glad that I didn't get hit with a blown save in my first appearance with the Nationals organization.

Syracuse improves to 42-56 this season, with the victory.

#TheScriptIsDead

It was about a week before I took the mound again because of the All-Star Break. When I got the chance it was with a 2-0 lead in Norfolk in the bottom of the 9th.

A strikeout, a ground out to first and a flyout to right and I got my 11th save with a perfect inning.

The Chiefs improve to 43-61 with the win in Norfolk.

#TheScriptIsDead

Three nights later I came on in the 9th in Norfolk with a 5-2 lead.

K, F9, 5-3 and it was another save and another perfect inning.

The Chiefs are now 44-63 in 2017.

#TheScriptIsDead
    Last edited by steelerfan; 02-22-2015 at 05:35 PM.

1-0 Syracuse in the top of the 9th and I was called on to close the deal against Toledo.
    A popout to the catcher, a flyout to center and an unassisted groundout to first gave me another 1-2-3 inning and another save for Syracuse.

We are now 45-64 and my focus has turned to September when I hope to get the call-up to the nation's capital.

#TheScriptIsDead
    Last edited by steelerfan; 02-23-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Here's a little update through the end of July 2017.

I have 24 appearances in the Majors with a 2-0 record and a 1.95 ERA, all with the Chicago Cubs. I have pitched 32.1 innings, recorded 1 hold, struck out 17 and walked 9 while posting a 1.24 WHIP.

In AAA, I've split time between Iowa and Syracuse. In 14 appearances, I've pitched 13 innings and I'm 13 for 13 in save opportunities with a 0.69 ERA. I have 12 Ks and just 1 walk and a 0.62 WHIP.

My current club, the Syracuse Chiefs, are 4th in the International League's North Division with a record of 46-68.

In the Majors my parent club, the Washington Nationals are 3rd in the NL East at 51-58. The Dodgers and the Mariners are tied with the best record in baseball at 68-41.

Of note, the Blue Jays are 3rd in the AL East at 56-53, the Astros are 4th in the AL West at 48-61, the Pirates are 3rd in the NL Central at 51-58, the Cubs are 4th in the NL Central at 46-62 and the Rockies are 4th in the NL West at 57-53.

#TheScriptIsDead

On August 1st I took the mound in the bottom of the 9th with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs. We were leading Pawtucket 8-5.

I managed to flyout the only batter I faced to right field and the Chiefs improved to 47-68.

#TheScriptIsDead

The next night in Indianapolis, I came on in the bottom of the 10th with a 6-4 lead.

A 2-out throwing error by the third baseman robbed me of a perfect inning but I struck out the next batter to earn save number 15.

The Chiefs are now 48-68.

#TheScriptIsDead

A couple nights later we had a 2-1 lead when I was called upon to pitch the 10th inning against Indianapolis.

I have up a leadoff double and immediately put my perfect save percentage in jeopardy. The next batter singled to left and there were runners on the corners. I got a huge K against the third man up meaning a double play could end the game.

Unfortunately I hung a screwball high in the strike zone and a 3-run homer by Yordy Cabrera gave me my first blown save and my first loss and the Indians won it, 4-2.

With the loss, Syracuse falls to 48-70.

#TheScriptIsDead

A few days later I came on with a 6-5 lead on the 9th in Toledo.

I punched out my final victim in a 1-2-3 inning to earn my 16th save. That one felt good after blowing my last opportunity.

With the win, we are now 50-71.

#TheScriptIsDead

Two days later, still in Toledo, I came on to pitch the 9th with a 3-1 lead.

I retired the Mud Hens in order again to secure another save and improve our record to 51-72.

#TheScriptIsDead

My next outing came at home against Norfolk. I entered the game in the top of the 9th with a 2-1 lead.

My third baseman cost me a pair of outs by booting a couple of grounders. The first went for an error and the second turned a sure double play into a fielder's choice.

However, I got out of the jam and earned my 18th save of 2017. I registered a walk and a strikeout in my lone inning of work.

Syracuse is now 52-72.

#TheScriptIsDead

Two nights later I faced Toledo again, this time with a 3-0 lead in the top of the 9th.
    Three groundouts led to a 1-2-3 inning and I feel good about the way in pitching again after that disaster in Indy. The Chiefs improve to 53-73 with the win.

#TheScriptIsDead

Shockingly, I did not get back into a game until the season finale at Lehigh Valley. I came on in the bottom of the 9th with a 5-3 lead.

I gave up a single and struck one out but the most important factor was the scoreless inning that I pitched to close out the game and finish my 2017 AAA campaign with an even 20 saves.

The Syracuse Chiefs finished the season at 63-81 which put us in 4th in the IL North.

Following the game, I was notified that I was part of the Nationals September call-ups. Finally, back in the Majors and with a chance to debut for my new club.

#TheScriptIsDead