Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: NCAA Settles Keller Lawsuit; EA Talks Conditions for NCAA Football Return

• Facebook
  • Display
    I don't know, I played the hell out of Bill Walsh on the Genesis and it only had, I believe, 36 schools. It would be tough to go back to something like that but I think most would think something is better than nothing.

It's easy to say that I'd just keep playing NCAA 14, but we're less than a year removed from its release. What if we go 5 years with no game and then get something with 50 schools. Would you all still play NCAA 14? 10 years?

If a game is ever made again, it could be that long. I don't think many people would pass and keep playing NCAA 14.

It appears that it's all a matter of who you root for. If your school is in a power conference, you may be more easily swayed by Big 5 game. If you're all about the little guys, it's all or nothing.

http://deadspin.com/the-one-fuck-up-...ium=socialflow

Astonishingly, an organization that tells us to think of it as "a marching band celebrating student-athletes in everything they do" did not call a single … wait for it … student-athlete. Two of the NCAA's four pre-competitive justifications for prohibiting compensation are that consumer demand of college sports is dependent on maintaining amateurism and that amateurism rules promote an integration of academics and athletics. Who could possibly be more qualified to speak to the merits of amateurism than a successful former amateur athlete?

To be fair to the NCAA, the judge hearing the case previously ruled that any college athlete who has appeared in televised game footage since 2005 was automatically a class-action plaintiff, and therefore could not be called to testify on behalf of the defense. Still, out of all the thousands of athletes that played college sports before 2005, the best the NCAA could come up with was Jim Delany, a former North Carolina point guard who played in the '60s, a former Kent State basketball player from the '70s named Chris Plonsky, and Diane Dickman, who played college golf in the '80s for Tulsa.

Here are some fun facts about those three pro-NCAA former student-athletes: Jim Delany is the current commissioner of the Big Ten, Chris Plonsky is the current athletics director at Texas, and Diane Dickman is the NCAA's current director of academic and membership affairs.

Consider how stupid this makes the NCAA look. According to the NCAA's Division I manual, a college athlete's participation in sports should be "Motivated primarily by education and by the physical, mental and social benefits to be derived." And yet Emmert and his goons couldn't find a single "student-athlete" who does not currently have a financial stake in the NCAA's continued existence to take the stand and plainly state, "Yes, I got into this for the education as well as the physical, mental and social benefits to be derived."

To all of you talking about playing a game with generic players, and the possibility of it allowing editing that could make teams more like real teams ... remember that Backbreaker was initially billed as a game that would allow full customization. It didn't have an NFL license, but would allow you to customize it to your heart's content.

A mere threat of a lawsuit from the NFL killed off that feature before the game was ever released.

I think EA would be rather gunshy with anything generic. The only likelihood I see of a generic game with customization ability getting released is if it's by a company that simply doesn't think it will make enough waves to get sued.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Just started a new dynasty on the ps3, and this is one the reasons why I didn't buy a ps4. Because I only play Madden & NCAA, what's the point. I'd rather buy another ps3 to backup the one I already have. I know this is whishful thinking, but, you think we'll be able to roll over the grad class to M15? This is really a sad time 4 me, gotta wait until August to get a new football game

SCOTUS denies EA appeal, will not hear case.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/10/02/72085.htm

Last edited by cdj; 04-14-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Wow. $74, $270, $4,324, $5,000 or $15,000. Hope it was worth destroying the entire series jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Wow. $74, $270, $4,324, $5,000 or $15,000. Hope it was worth destroying the entire series jackasses.

#TheScriptIsDead
    Well, for the lawyers it was definitely worth it. They'd likely love to do it again.

If I understand Solomon correctly, less than 10% of those eligible joined the class-action suit. I wonder how that compares to the average % in similar suits.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Well, for the lawyers it was definitely worth it. They'd likely love to do it again.

If I understand Solomon correctly, less than 10% of those eligible joined the class-action suit. I wonder how that compares to the average % in similar suits.
    Along the same lines, I'm pretty sure nobody involved actually wanted to kill the series ... maybe a few people thought it was so problematic that they wanted to see the series end ... but I think Keller and others just wanted some compensation for the fact that they were being used without permission.

The lawyers, clearly, were the ones truly interested in a big pay day. What a joke.

Yeah, the lawyers made out with a nice big fat payday.

#TheScriptIsDead

NCAA Settles Keller Lawsuit; EA Talks Conditions for NCAA Football Return

CLW, can we now sue Keller and O'Bannon and the lawyers for taking the game away from us? They denied my right to pursue happiness as stated in the Declaration of Independence

lol

20,000 plus hours! Good lord at $900 an hour haha