Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 World Cup Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I was expecting something a little closer from Spain.

4 games today.

Also a funny website to turn your name into a Brazil soccer player

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml

Buffon is out of today's match with England. Salvatore Sirigu of PSG is likely to replace him. Should be interesting since Buffon has 140 caps while Sirigu has just 8.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Buffon is out of today's match with England. Salvatore Sirigu of PSG is likely to replace him. Should be interesting since Buffon has 140 caps while Sirigu has just 8.
    That is a huge loss for the Italians. That being said I still think they beet the usually overrated English.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    That is a huge loss for the Italians. That being said I still think they beet the usually overrated English.
    I'm not sure England is overrated. The current FIFA World Rankings have them 10th, with USA 13th. Italy is 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I'm not sure England is overrated. The current FIFA World Rankings have them 10th, with USA 13th. Italy is 9th.
    Perhaps more the media b/c of all the "stars" from the Premier League (like its the ONLY decent league in Europe).

Perhaps more the media b/c of all the "stars" from the Premier League (like its the ONLY decent league in Europe).
    Most of the best players in the EPL are not English.

Also, the EPL is the only league in Europe with good balance top to bottom.

The other strong leagues (Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La Liga, etc.) have a couple STRONG clubs and the rest are TERRIBLE.

Still in shock about the Netherlands game. Good on them though. Now I'm waiting patiently to see what Belgium is going to bring. I'm going for the "Low Countries" this year.

Upset of the World Cup so far with Costa Rica taking out Uruguay. Uruguay is in BIG trouble now with England and Italy left to play for them. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a very conservative game from both the Italians and English now 0-0 draw take the point and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Still in shock about the Netherlands game. Good on them though. Now I'm waiting patiently to see what Belgium is going to bring. I'm going for the "Low Countries" this year.
    Belgium is going to be fun to watch. They have 3 big time Chelsea boys: Hazard, Lukaku and Courtois. All 3 will be major force for Belgium and I'm looking forward to watching them too.

Upset of the World Cup so far with Costa Rica taking out Uruguay. Uruguay is in BIG trouble now with England and Italy left to play for them. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a very conservative game from both the Italians and English now 0-0 draw take the point and move on.
    Yeah, big result today for sure!

New Year same story for England. Wayne Rooney is the most over hyped worthless soccer player possibly ever. I've never seen him perform anywhere near world class level. He was ABUSED in the 1st half with his "defense" and then in the 2nd it was one choke job after another just shanking shots and corners all over the place.

Yeah I hate to "pile on" but another weak performance by Rooney and the Mother country... No insult to Italy but England needs to step it up. Poor shots, horrendous corner kicks, soft D, etc. Is this really the best England has to offer? I guess historians are wrong when they say "the sun never sets on the British Empire. "

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Yeah I hate to "pile on" but another weak performance by Rooney and the Mother country... No insult to Italy but England needs to step it up. Poor shots, horrendous corner kicks, soft D, etc. Is this really the best England has to offer? I guess historians are wrong when they say "the sun never sets on the British Empire. "
    Yes this is the best they have. The truth is England currently is basically on par with the U.S. on the soccer field and have no business being compared to the REAL threats to win the World Cup.

Yes this is the best they have. The truth is England currently is basically on par with the U.S. on the soccer field and have no business being compared to the REAL threats to win the World Cup.
    I'm not sure who you're listening to, but no one is saying they are a threat to win it.

Wow! What a finish between Switzerland and Ecuador!

France looked pretty sharp today.

France looked pretty sharp today.
    After the complete disaster that was the last world cup, they needed to come out with a strong performance. Now that being said, the competition was not up to snuff so I fully expected France to cruise to victory.