Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1, PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display

very positive reviews for this one 87 metacritic right now. MS was smart to lock this one up and Crystal wasn't b/c I just don't see this one selling well a year later on PS4. (I'm renting it only)

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    very positive reviews for this one 87 metacritic right now. MS was smart to lock this one up and Crystal wasn't b/c I just don't see this one selling well a year later on PS4. (I'm renting it only)
    It will sell just fine on the PS4 next year. Popular franchise and great reviews + PS4 user base. Not a fan of exclusives but I will get over it and will be a definite purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    It will sell just fine on the PS4 next year. Popular franchise and great reviews + PS4 user base. Not a fan of exclusives but I will get over it and will be a definite purchase.
    maybe your right but the only reason to justify a $60 purchase of a year old game is going to be if they throw in all the xb1 dlc for "free"

That is my hope. For having to wait a year it seems the logical thing to do (which is no given in this industry). Plus we get the bonus of having all the kinks worked out.

I'm REALLY disappointed this isn't out on PS4 now. The reviews are really good and sadly the timing with FO4 and Battlefront it is going to get squashed. If they had not gone exclusive I would have bought this one on launch and this would have been my holiday game. Now, I'm left to decide if I want to get into FO4 or just go without a new game this Christmas.

Fall gets busier.....Rise of the Tomb Raider coming October 11 to PS4. (Same release date as GOW 4 & WWE 2K17.)

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration (PS4) includes:

• Award-winning Rise of the Tomb Raider
    • Brutal new “Extreme Survivor” difficulty mode (no checkpoints)
    • “Blood Ties” & “Lara’s Nightmare” premium DLC
    • Co-op support for “Endurance Mode”, challenging players to survive extreme conditions with a friend
    • Re-envisioned cold-weather outfit and weapon for Lara inspired by Tomb Raider III
    • Classic Lara card pack which will allow fans to play “Expedition Modes” using one of several classic Lara models
    • All existing DLC including “Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch” and “Cold Darkness Awakened”, 12 outfits, 7 weapons, 35 Expedition Cards, and more
    • Support for PlayStation VR that challenges players to unlock the mysteries of Croft Manor in first person

Last edited by cdj; 07-19-2016 at 08:27 AM.

I like that the Dlc is included.

Why do so many companies stack their new releases in October? Seriously. This isn't an FPS but between COD, Battlefield, Titanfall and others coming out at the same time it's a tough month to fight for sales.

Just FYI CLW 2: Electric Boogaloo. Currently playing the game and just FYI all the new stuff is coming to the Xbox One and PC too.

https://news.xbox.com/2016/07/19/ris...r-celebration/
    Last edited by bdoughty; 07-19-2016 at 06:25 PM.

I have this game pre-ordered at 20% off but since it's a linear offline game I think I'm going to pass until Christmas. I'm sure I can find it fairly cheap over Black Friday or December sales. I do want to play it but I can wait. Probably get Skyrim later on instead. And if I don't like that game I will trade it for this one. Not 100% sure yet - hoping to see a good EB Games promo come out for it but nothing right now.

It's not a linear game. It is mostly an open world game that is divided by sections, with a few linear areas. This is from someone who has played and beaten the game.

I enjoyed the reboot on ps3 a lot. I had bought the "remaster" on ps4 as well but the frame rate was so choppy I quit. Heard the sequel is better. Still a bit undecided about keeping my preorder or waiting until the holidays.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-04-2016 at 06:49 PM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I am definitely looking forward to this one. My friend has it preordered, so I'll definitely be able to play it one way or another and looking forward to it. The Tomb Raider remake was spectacular, though the transition between Lara being scared to kill and having to come to terms with that fact of it being kill or be killed compared to then immediately having to kill like 300 dudes throughout the game was a bit meh, but otherwise, it was a really damn good game and I hear this one is better.

I'm 15% complete so far. It's a good game that feels similar to Uncharted. Cut scenes and similar game play. I'm sure if you liked the PS3 game you will like this.

I like the rpg elements that uncharted lacks. I'm playing on hard (whatever is above normal) since I read it was easy. I am trying my best to use stealth and avoid massive fire fights which also seems true to character. I am only early on but I would still classify this as a linear game but with areas that are bigger. It's not as linear as uncharted (especially 2 or 3) but I like this formula.

Have three weapons now. I like crafting health kits. Can't remember that from the first. It feels more polished than the first one and I'm enjoying it.

My Rise of Tomb Raider Review (just a tad late)

As a PS4 owner I had to wait a year to play this game. This game is a solid game that deserves at least an 8/10 but I feel it falls short in a few areas, particularly when compared to Uncharted 4.

This game resembles the Tomb Raider (TR) reboot that was originally released on PS3. It’s more polished imo and it maintains a strong similarity to Uncharted with its own differences as well. Where the game is similar is that there is a strong main story with cut scenes. A weakness in Rise of the Tomb Raider is the need to fill in back story items with too-convenient tape recorders and journals. This was used in the reboot and it still feels forced and largely unnecessary.

The graphics are very good but I think Uncharted 4 looked better. Tomb Raider has a lot of platforming and the pacing of the story, combat and cut scenes are done well. The puzzles weren’t that difficult and a nice touch. I was a little disappointed in the environment though. Virtually the entire game takes place in the same spot which is a cold and snowy environment (the ice did look great). In Uncharted you get exposed to a variety of locations and this is omitted here.

Two of the bigger differences between Uncharted and Tomb Raider lie in the RPG elements and open world aspects of TR. TR has three different RPG trees where you can upgrade skills to make you a better hunter, better shooter, take more damage, etc. These largely work well although you get the sense that they aren’t really that important. Being able to upgrade so you can take someone down from above is cool but I didn’t really feel I improved myself a ton or truly changed the make-up of my character.

You also scavenge for items and are able to craft health kits and upgrade weapons as you make your way through the story as well. It’s a bit odd that you can only switch your weapons of choice at base camp. You have a bow, shotgun, rifle and pistol slot that all have a variety of options and upgrades. I love the ability to choose and upgrade various weapons. This felt great but it did feel odd early in the game when I killed someone with a gun and couldn’t pick it up and use it. I could only use my bow since I didn’t have a gun equipped in my gun slot yet. You have an overwhelming arsenal including setting booby traps on dead bodies although many options are not required to use during play.

TR is not as linear as Uncharted. There are side missions to do and tombs and caves to explore. The side missions felt out of place imo but it was up to you if you wanted to do them. The tombs and caves were cool. There are a lot of things to scavenge throughout the game and you can activate Lara’s instincts (R3) to do it. This actually led to this tool being a crutch and it broke from the immersion of the game. While it told you where to go and items to collect it presented the world in black and white with highlights and did not fit in as well as Uncharted which forces you to roam and is more natural in knowing what to do. Treasure hunting was more fun in UC as a result as well.

Combat itself is solid but I think the game suffered from most combat taking place in confined sections and they didn’t last all that long. I missed having some wider, open areas where you really had to move around in a larger scale fire fight (the final chapter was better than most of the game). UC4 had some great areas like this but they were almost completely omitted in TR. On normal difficulty I found the game too easy. You could practically stand in front of enemies and avoid using cover at times. On the next difficulty (Seasoned Tomb Raider) you were forced to use more stealth and be a bit more resourceful. I found a couple of spots to be incredibly hard so I dropped back to Normal for those. There really isn’t a ton of combat in the game. You don’t face wave after wave of enemies so you don’t get bored by it but a few larger, more strategic areas would have been nice.

Overall I think this was a very good game in many areas but Uncharted outperforms head to head in a majority of them. Uncharted is a more focused experience. TR is similar and yet tries to check off too many boxes (story, some open world exploration, RPG elements, etc) that hurt it a little bit. I think the game would have been better if it scaled back some of the options. But it is still a fun game well worth playing. It just doesn’t match the standard of UC4.

For parents out there, there are some bad words including about five F bombs (two of those in journal entries) in case you are wondering about letting kids play. The sexuality is so toned down it’s a non-issue. It’s a PG-13 title imo, not 18 as labelled. I finished the game in about 13 hours and only 63% done so a lot of side missions and collectables were left on the table but they felt more like filler than an integral part of the game. Still a strong 8/10.