Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Patch Broke the CPU running game and Sliders

• Facebook
  • Display
    Jaymo, I would seriously just delete the patches and tuning files until your offseason and re-install to get the progression and ratings fixes.

Honestly, I would really love to know what difficulty levels the designers play on and whether they use the sliders or not. I'm guessing most of them don't tweak sliders for their own dynasties.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Jaymo, I would seriously just delete the patches and tuning files until your offseason and re-install to get the progression and ratings fixes.

Honestly, I would really love to know what difficulty levels the designers play on and whether they use the sliders or not. I'm guessing most of them don't tweak sliders for their own dynasties.
    I don't think you can do that, can you? Regardless, in season 2 you'll have to play with the issues. And I don't think it 'broke' the running game. If you tweak sliders enough and play sim style, cpu has plenty of running game. It may have 'broke' the cpu running game with how WE had it tweaked.

Rudy I bet you're right about the designers. They probably just adjust the difficulties more than anything, if for nothing else then to get the feel of the differences between those, so they can tweak what they want for next year's game on base sliders.

Yeah I'm not seeing this so called lack of CPU running game issues you guys are talking about. In my offline Duke dynasty I just got mauled by Stanford to the tune of 200+ rushing yards. Their #1 back had 234 Yards on 19 Carries and 4 TDs.

I'm curious as to how you guys play the game as I just don't see how you can stop the CPU literally every game. Are there some games my D stops the run yes. But for every one of those there is a Stanford like game where I get crushed by a superior o-line and RB combo.

What settings are you guys using? How do you play? If you are using a 0/100 slider set I recall a year in either Madden or NCAA where 100/0 was broken so if you tuned that down it may work.

I suppose I could see you stuffing the run if you blitz a ton and set allot of your strategy settings to Aggressive and/or make allot of correct commit choices with a very good defensive team or weak scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah I'm not seeing this so called lack of CPU running game issues you guys are talking about. In my offline Duke dynasty I just got mauled by Stanford to the tune of 200+ rushing yards. Their #1 back had 234 Yards on 19 Carries and 4 TDs.

I'm curious as to how you guys play the game as I just don't see how you can stop the CPU literally every game. Are there some games my D stops the run yes. But for every one of those there is a Stanford like game where I get crushed by a superior o-line and RB combo.

What settings are you guys using? How do you play? If you are using a 0/100 slider set I recall a year in either Madden or NCAA where 100/0 was broken so if you tuned that down it may work.

I suppose I could see you stuffing the run if you blitz a ton and set allot of your strategy settings to Aggressive and/or make allot of correct commit choices with a very good defensive team or weak scheduling.
    AA Settings:
    CPU RB 60
    CPU block 80
    HUM RUN D 35

I have used this set since patch one and pre-patch two my run D was usually ranked between 20-35. This season (year five) after four games my run D is ranked #1 and I have given up 160 yards total.

On Heisman the cpu rushing game is pretty good. Of course with cpu run block at 100 and human run defense at 0 I can't boost the blocking anymore. If I play a team like Wisconsin on those settings they will run the ball pretty well. If I play an option team or a team that runs from the shotgun then they don't run well. On AA with those settings the cpu run game is absolute garbage against me. I had their RBA up to 65 and other than some longer runs they never had a consistent ground game post patch.

Stopping the run is something I generally do well but I am not a great player nor do I cheat. I do set the defensive line to aggressive but I don't think it really matters that much on Heisman. It probably matters more on AA. I never use run commit. I do slant my DL and/or shift my LBs. Not usually both in the same direction since a counter play can really punish you for that. I do tend to shift my front seven to the strong side of the formation or protect against the wide side of the field. I normally play as an ILB or a WLB - not the strong side since I'll get swallowed up on runs. I don't blitz very heavy. I usually send four guys and quite often I'll send a 5th player out of my 3-4 defense. Rarely will I send a 6th player on a blitz unless it's short yardage. I don't press that much either.

Like I said before, if you don't have a problem with the cpu running game then you are lucky because EA's sliders are so weak that you can't fix it if you don't like it. Jaymo, I would suggest you give Heisman an honest try. I played a great double-OT game last night so the game can still be fun. I think you will always have to overlook some issues but the lack of a cpu running game is too much to bear for me on AA. On Heisman it's much better and I can overlook some of those issues much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    AA Settings:
    What about HUM tackling? I've honestly seen the biggest difference in running statistics because of HUM Tackling.

Weird thing is that your settings are DRASTICALLY different (read: higher for RBA and Blocking) than Powerhouse ODs, yet we're still seeing fairly good CPU running games ...
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I'm in Powerhouse OD, I'm in SCBOL OD both on AA with sliders and the CPU rushing attack is still going strong as Jeff stated.

I'm also in 2 other OD where we have everything set at Heisman and defaults for everything. The CPU is rushing the ball well, as a matter of fact WVU's HB in the second year tore off for 424yds on 33 carries against another (Syracuse) last week. So I'm not sure what your seeing, but we are still seeing the CPU break off some nice runs.

I've been trying to figure this out all night. Something just seems missing. How are people reporting entirely different results on AA. Can you have no cpu rushing and abundant cpu rushing at the same time? What's the missing link? Rudy and I are seeing ZERO rushing stats while other report the exact opposite. Same at OS.... a huge variance in results. So tonight I did nothing but test a hypothesis and I think I am beginning to see a pattern. I played week five of dynasty mode and I played my weekly game plus four others. I started thinking, what teams are we using and what is their defensive grading?

ASU (me) vs CAL (Cal 29 yards total rushing)
    BOISE at SJSU(me) (Boise 348 total rushing yards)
    Idaho (me) at Ohio St (OSU 278 total rushing yards~ two backs over 100)
    Sothern Miss at UTEP (me) (SM 179 total rushing yards)
    Oregon (me) vs BWG (BWG 52 total rushing yards)

So what' the catch? This is the first time the cpu rushed for 100+ yards since patch two. Well, looking at a teams defensive rating basically determines more than ever if the cpu will be able to run the ball. Here's the breakdown again, this time using D vs cpu O.

ASU D (B+) CAL O (C+)
    BOISE O (B) SJSU D (D-)
    IDAHO D (D-) OSU O (B+)
    S. MIS 0 (C+) UTEP D (C-)
    OREGON D (B+) BWG O (C-)

Based on this small sample it seems as though your defense/offense letter grade rating plays a far larger role in determining how well the cpu will run the ball. It was not this extreme pre-patch. If you have some time, try this out one week and see the results. It could be very telling? Any further discussion of cpu running has to have the context of who you are using and your defensive letter grade rank.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out all night. Something just seems missing. How are people reporting entirely different results on AA. Can you have no cpu rushing and abundant cpu rushing at the same time? What's the missing link? Rudy and I are seeing ZERO rushing stats while other report the exact opposite. Same at OS.... a huge variance in results. So tonight I did nothing but test a hypothesis and I think I am beginning to see a pattern. I played week five of dynasty mode and I played my weekly game plus four others. I started thinking, what teams are we using and what is their defensive grading?

ASU (me) vs CAL (Cal 29 yards total rushing)
    BOISE at SJSU(me) (Boise 348 total rushing yards)
    Idaho (me) at Ohio St (OSU 278 total rushing yards~ two backs over 100)
    Sothern Miss at UTEP (me) (SM 179 total rushing yards)
    Oregon (me) vs BWG (BWG 52 total rushing yards)

So what' the catch? This is the first time the cpu rushed for 100+ yards since patch two. Well, looking at a teams defensive rating basically determines more than ever if the cpu will be able to run the ball. Here's the breakdown again, this time using D vs cpu O.

ASU D (B+) CAL O (C+)
    BOISE O (B) SJSU D (D-)
    IDAHO D (D-) OSU O (B+)
    S. MIS 0 (C+) UTEP D (C-)
    OREGON D (B+) BWG O (C-)

Based on this small sample it seems as though your defense/offense letter grade rating plays a far larger role in determining how well the cpu will run the ball. It was not this extreme pre-patch. If you have some time, try this out one week and see the results. It could be very telling? Any further discussion of cpu running has to have the context of who you are using and your defensive letter grade rank.
    Well, for what it's worth (year 5 in the dynasty on NCAA 11), I've played twice against Ohio State (B+ offense A- defense) against my teambuilder team (B everything) twice now and both times I demolished them, but mainly because I was able to sellout on the run because the QB they had was super fast and aware (91 speed, 90 something accel, 90 something awareness) but had pretty terrible throwing power and accuracy (low 80s on both).

I was able to hold them to nothing on the ground in the beginning both times and then once I started scoring on them, they started abandoning the run and thus I started blowing them out even more because their QB was atrocious at throwing the ball.

I play a 3-4 defense that basically has no respect for the CPU passing game so that would be part of it all.

On the beginning of season 6 now and I've probably bitten more off than I can chew cause I'm still B's on everything (shitty depth but great starters) and I've got Texas (A offense A- defense) (LOVE that the progression issues are starting to be fixed!) as my first game. Should be a good ol' fashion woodshed beating (and my first loss in like 60 some games spanning back to the dynasty's beginnings on '10).

But Jaymo, in those settings the cpu could only run the ball if it had a lot better offense than your defense. If there is an even matchup I still expect the cpu to have a 100 yard rusher here and there and average at least 4 ypc. The average ypc in college football is 5.0 or just over it. That's probably boosted when you play creampuffs but I would still expect RBs to average 4.0 in even matchups. Shon Greene of Iowa ran for over 100 yards in every game two years ago. It didn't matter who Toby Gerhardt faced last year as he rushed well against everyone too.

My Michigan defense has never been rated above a B+ and could stop everyone on AA post patch without blinking. I run a 3-4 and my highest rated LB was an 83 (although my three DL were all 87-92). I'd hate to think how much I would destroy the cpu running attack with a good defense like Bama's. Furthermore, my offense can still run against an evenly matched defense. I can tweak sliders to get what I want. I can't do that for the cpu rushing attack since the sliders are garbage. The tackling slider probably has a bigger effect now but that is no excuse for the fact the blocking sliders don't work well enough.

At this point I really don't care what others are seeing in the game. It doesn't really matter. There is a large group of people that are very frustrated by the lack of a cpu running game post patch. EA needs to help us out or risk a bunch of people just trading in the game. EA needs to boost the power of the cpu run block and human rush defense sliders so that those of us that do have a problem can fix it. I don't see the harm in doing this. Everyone else playing near default settings and enjoying them wouldn't even know the difference. I do find Heisman to be acceptable but AA is completely broken FOR ME. I'd rather play on AA if I could.

Maybe its AA then. I'm playing on Heisman and with a C graded defense in year 2 I have the 2nd worst run defense in all of college football. I agree the CPU cannot run the option or out of the shotgun. I play GT every year and its sad how badly the CPU does with the tripple option its nearly a free W every year for me with Duke.

Rudy, was that the post you were thinking might offend me? I caught your tweet ... shoot, you'd have to do a lot more on this forum to offend me.

I get that you're frustrated ... but let's shift gears for a minute.

You, and apparently others, are seeing no running game from the CPU.
    Myself, snoop, and all the others in the Powerhouse and SBCOL ODs are still seeing a running game.

Now, it is by no means perfect. I'm running with the same settings in two offline dynasties and haven't seen much of a running game yet. I don't have numbers, but my general feel has been both that the CPU hasn't tried to establish a running game, and that they've been very unsuccessful. But there could be a multitude of factors at play there, not the least of which is that I'm playing with TCU and Ohio State.

My central point is this ... yes, the sliders need to have more of an effect. However, that still does not explain why some of us are seeing practically no running game, and others are seeing a decent running game.

That is what we need to get to the bottom of. Claims of "it's broken, we need it fixed" only go so far, especially when all evidence points to inconsistancy, at best.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Well-said.

I've seen the CPU have a running game and average solid yards. On Heisman. When they didn't? When they gave up running the ball when I started stuffing it, and they went to the pass for the remainder of the game. Not sure why they didn't try some other runs later.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Rudy, was that the post you were thinking might offend me? I caught your tweet ... shoot, you'd have to do a lot more on this forum to offend me.
    This part of my post below is something that could have been taken the wrong way. I couldn't change it any more because I can't access this site at work. What I meant to say (in a nicer way) is that someone's enjoyment of the game only depends on them. 99/100 could love the game but if I'm the 1 guy out of that 100 that is frustrated then it doesn't really make me feel any better.

At this point I really don't care what others are seeing in the game. It doesn't really matter. There is a large group of people that are very frustrated by the lack of a cpu running game post patch.

And for the record I think the cpu running game on Heisman can be pretty good. On AA I find it horrible. I'm not sure how others aren't seeing it but EA can help fix it by simply making certain sliders more powerful in their 3rd and final patch.

And for the record I think the cpu running game on Heisman can be pretty good. On AA I find it horrible. I'm not sure how others aren't seeing it but EA can help fix it by simply making certain sliders more powerful in their 3rd and final patch.
    Well put. The key is making it a little too powerful, when you tune it up (sliders that is), so that really good players can adjust it high enough to fit their liking. IMO anyway

In my one OD with friends we play on Heisman everything. They also hate adjusting the sliders (for reasons unknown) and the rushing attack from the CPU is very good. Last night me USF got tore up by Rutgers' RB for the tune of 28 carries and 222yds and 2 TD's.

So I do agree that Heisman seems to produce a better rushing attack from the CPU, I'll also state like Jeff said if you take them out of it early they will never try to establish it again though. I think that would go a long way in making the rushing attack feel better.

A lower-rated team with a solid RB put up over 100 rushing on me last night, it was a very nice performance that made me think of a 100-yard rusher on a Saturday......they just keep working him and before you realize it, he's over 100 in a workman-like fashion. Good game on the road, but I still won.

It seems like the CPU will either have zero yards rushing on me or 120+, not really much in-between. Though, sacks and offensive style can skew those numbers pretty quickly. I've been watching the numbers pretty closely since the 2nd patch and still find myself unsure of what to think of adjusting.

I never rely on the team rushing stats.....I look only at the top 1 or 2 RBs' average and longest run and go from there.

I know that adjusting the sliders worked on Heisman as I saw differences last night from the night before, as I had tweaked user tackling, CPU run block, and I think human rush defense.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    It seems like the CPU will either have zero yards rushing on me or 120+, not really much in-between. Though, sacks and offensive style can skew those numbers pretty quickly. I've been watching the numbers pretty closely since the 2nd patch and still find myself unsure of what to think of adjusting.
    I still would like to know what impacted AA rushing more... tuner pack #2 or patch #2. We were told what was in patch 2 but I don't think we ever heard what was done with tuner pack 2.