Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

• Facebook
  • Display

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Use this thread to discuss all things Sochi, including athletic competitions and/or the debacle surrounding the event.

Budweiser pulled out of Sochi. Not good one one of the top sponsors leaves.
    The dude abides.

So far, Sochi is turning out to be a mess, and the damn games haven't even started yet!

Hell, just reading all of the stuff on Twitter under #SochiProblems, my god, what the hell did that $51 billion get spent on? So many things not working or completely not ready. Multiple entire hotels not ready. One media guy, he checked into his hotel, his room wasn't anywhere near ready to be moved into it. Second room, the construction crew working in the hotel had taken over the room for their own use. The third room, had a damn stray dog in it! For spending $51 billion on getting ready for these games, apparently $50 billion went towards bribes for this much to be wrong just days before the game start.

And even the security, I'm not convinced. I'm sad to say, but I fully expect that there will be at the minimum an attempted terrorist attack sometime during the games, more expecting an actual successful one. Hell, you need look at the Boston Marathon for how easy it's getting. It's no longer car bombs and other massive obvious things. Nope, these days, just load some explosives into a bag and walk into a large crowd. No matter how much security the Russians have at the games, all it'll take is one guy to load a couple pounds of TNT or some other explosive into a bag and go strolling along with the rest of the crowd and it's mass injuries and mass chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    And even the security, I'm not convinced. I'm sad to say, but I fully expect that there will be at the minimum an attempted terrorist attack sometime during the games, more expecting an actual successful one. Hell, you need look at the Boston Marathon for how easy it's getting. It's no longer car bombs and other massive obvious things. Nope, these days, just load some explosives into a bag and walk into a large crowd. No matter how much security the Russians have at the games, all it'll take is one guy to load a couple pounds of TNT or some other explosive into a bag and go strolling along with the rest of the crowd and it's mass injuries and mass chaos.
    I heard this second hand so it may not be correct, but supposedly the Olympic security does not carry guns, only batons. It would not shock me to see a repeat of the 1972 Olympics.

I was going to add stories of issues in the first post, but thought that would keep me busy all day. Every time I look at an online news site, there are more stories/pictures of issues.

this belongs in the amateur sports section

Reagan never finished the job with Russia as he should have

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I heard this second hand so it may not be correct, but supposedly the Olympic security does not carry guns, only batons. It would not shock me to see a repeat of the 1972 Olympics.

I was going to add stories of issues in the first post, but thought that would keep me busy all day. Every time I look at an online news site, there are more stories/pictures of issues.
    You know, you're actually the second person I've seen specifically mention the potential for a repeat of the 1972 Olympics. I can honestly see it happening. Every time I read something about the Sochi Olympics, I just get a constant bad feeling about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    this belongs in the amateur sports section
    Um, hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Um, hockey?
    And in the summer, golf, basketball, etc.

Yeeeeeah.

The dude abides.

Um, hockey?
    um take the hook out of your mouth

NOONE in their right mind would travel to Russia for these games for a whole host of reasons as being outlined in the press. That being said, the wife and I will watch every night of coverage from home. We both love the Olympics.

Actually hoping to make it to Brazil in 2016 for the summer games for a vacation to knock out a bucket list items.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    um take the hook out of your mouth
    Lol. Hockey is the only thing that matters in the Winter Games.

I'm really hoping these games are remembered for the toilets and such, not something terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan HAMsen View Post
    I'm really hoping these games are remembered for the toilets and such, not something terrible.

Yeah, toilets are one of many things that have me .

$51 billion and this is the best they can do in Russia.

Lol. Hockey is the only thing that matters in the Winter Games.
    I'm kind of fascinated with the whole- Ski and shoot at targets thing.

Will trade working light bulbs for door handles
    The dude abides.