Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NFL Offseason Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

The Houston Texans are on the clock.....literally

Word is they're pondering between Manziel and Bortles. You'd think they would be able to trade down for either one.
    The dude abides.

CBS will be airing 8 Thursday Night Football games next season....

NFL Network will simulcast, and also will be the cast in-studio for pregame, halftime, and postgame.

NFL Network takes over in week 9 with Thursday games up until weeks 16 and 17; which are Saturday games.
    The dude abides.

I'm hoping Sf trades and gets Mike Evans! I doubt it but would be awesome if not I'm looking at Jordan Mathews or Jarred Adberdsis from later rounds..

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The Houston Texans are on the clock.....literally

Word is they're pondering between Manziel and Bortles. You'd think they would be able to trade down for either one.
    No way can you trade down for the QB you like in this draft. 4 of the top 5 teams and the Vikings at 8 all have a big need at QB. If you want one you have to take one and that means over drafting for one.

You have:
    1. Houston (big QB need)
    2. St. Louis (potential QB need)
    3. Jacksonville (big QB need)
    4. Cleveland (big QB need)
    5. Raiders (big QB need)
    8. Vikings (big QB need)

You also have the Bucs at #7 if they aren't happy with Glennon (they probably wouldn't take a QB here) and the Titans at #11. If a QB doesn't get taken by #11 there could be a big slide. #11 appears to be the QB cliff this year.

Ram it just dawned on me about a discussion we had a while ago

That Defense wins championships. Think Seattle helped further that theory a little. Even without the Offense they won 9-8 lol

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    Ram it just dawned on me about a discussion we had a while ago

That Defense wins championships. Think Seattle helped further that theory a little. Even without the Offense they won 9-8 lol
    come on now...if the defense is the only score/s that means the Seattle offense would have never done certain things and got in certain field positions to keep Denver from getting more and better/other opportunities.

Denver just had one heck of a bad day.

excuse me while I go to the store to get this weeks Sports Illustrated

You know what it means

Don't take it in the literal sense that you don't need offense to actually win

Of course you do. However someone has to stop someone to win the game.

The Ravens did it when the Niners were on the 5

The Seahawks did..pretty much all game.

If offense wins then the Broncos having set records, been unstoppable and the best Offense in history should have won easily.

Yet the best Defense in the league was the team who won.

With an Offense ranked in the 20's or low 20's.

Peyton was shut down because of Seattle's defense not because Denver's offense

Yet the best Defense in the league was the team who won.

With an Offense ranked in the 20's or low 20's.
    Well that part isn't really true. The Seahawks were tied for 8th in the league at scoring 26.1 pts per game. They were 17th in yards per game and they got a big weapon in Harvin back for the Superbowl who they missed almost all year. The Seahawks offense is a pretty good one too. Russel Wilson is the only QB to have had 100+ QB ratings in his first two years.

The last time a #1 offense went up against a #1 defense in a Superbowl was the Bills vs. the Giants in 1990. The Giants won that one 20-19. I don't think it's fair to say this one game indicates defense wins championships despite Seattle's dominance. Denver's defense was only ranked #22 in points allowed and #14 in yards allowed. Overall Seattle's offense was better than Denver's defense while their strengths should have cancelled each other out.

Teams can be built all kinds of ways. The Rams with Kurt Warner won almost entirely because of their offense. Their defense benefited with other teams always playing catchup but that defense with a bad offense would have been terrible. The Packers with Rodgers were led by the offense. Same goes for the Saints and Colts in the last 10 years. Yes defense is VERY important (Baltimore, Pittsburgh and a bunch of teams with rings will all scream that) and probably more important than offense but it's not a slam dunk imo. If I had to choose between a #1 offense or a #1 defense I would probably take the #1 defense which I would estimate a 60% chance to win. In college football I think I would take the offensive team right now.

Rudy I was talking about yards per game, not points.

That was also a guess as well without looking at any info whatsoever. I do know at one point during the season they were ranked in the bottom 4 teams in pass yards per game..believe 28-29th. Think around week 7,8. Hell probably not much better all season not sure.

No lead isn't worth a damn if you can't stop or get stops against an Offense.

If the Steelers had a Defense that could stop teams they would have been in playoffs.

Maybe it should be said Running the ball and Defense wins championships. Just know if you gave Seattle's defense to any of the teams that made playoffs chances are they win the title.

And yeah there is hardly no defense in college. I'd take Offense all day in the "the out no huddle the no huddlers championships" aka "basketball on grass"

*** football players.......

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    *** football players.......
    You trying to initiate a dream sequence?

The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    You trying to initiate a dream sequence?
    of you.....

Wells report released..finally

Wells report released..finally
    141 pages....that'd be an interesting read
    The dude abides.

ESPN - NFL commissioner Roger Goodell made $44.2 million in 2012, according to tax returns submitted by league

It is good to be Commissioner.

Johnny Football said the Texans better not pass him over and let their "rival" Jacksonville get him.

I didn't know two teams in the shitter = rivalry.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Johnny Football said the Texans better not pass him over and let their "rival" Jacksonville get him.

I didn't know two teams in the shitter = rivalry.
    Yeah, since when the hell are the Texans and Jaguars rivals? Just because they're in the same division does not make them rivals. Just because they both suck does not make them rivals.

Wells report is ugly for Miami. It puts most of blame on Incognito while also recognizing Martin had mental issues. Report as said Nate Garner and Samurai got treated worse than Martin (does not justify treatment in lockerroom). Just got hone, need to reservists myself.