Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation Now - Sony's Streaming Service for PS games

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Have you seen the games they're offering in the Now beta? There isn't a single legitimate good game in there entire catalog. Maybe eventually, but it's all junk right now.

EA's offering right now is no doubt way better than what is available in the Now beta right now.
    Well I'm not sure EA is offering "good" games either since they are all 1 year old+ and none of them were particularly good even when they were new (other than perhaps FIFA). One of them was in fact AWFUL (Live).

Metacritic Scores for the free XB1 titles:

FIFA 88
    Battlefield 84 (if I recall was genuinely panned by users as being filled with bugs whether that is fixed or not i don't know)
    Peggle 77
    Madden 73
    Live 36

So the average Metacritic score for EA's "value" is 71.6.

If you guys see "value" in playing year old titles + the benefit of 2 hour rentals (that is all that is guaranteed right now) and 10% DLC discounts for Ultimate Team and other DLC more power to you.

However, to call EA Access "Netflix for Games" is a joke. #1 EA doesn't make all games. #2 You don't get access to all of EA's titles for the fee only the games EA decides and I suspect very rarely will it be the newest title (other than titles that bomb like UFC and Live)
    Last edited by CLW; 07-31-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Well I'm not sure EA is offering "good" games either since they are all 1 year old+ and none of them were particularly good even when they were new (other than perhaps FIFA). One of them was in fact AWFUL (Live).

Metacritic Scores for the free XB1 titles:

FIFA 88
    Battlefield 84 (if I recall was genuinely panned by users as being filled with bugs whether that is fixed or not i don't know)
    Peggle 77
    Madden 73
    Live 36

If you guys see "value" in playing year old titles + the benefit of 2 hour rentals (that is all that is guaranteed right now) and 10% DLC discounts for Ultimate Team and other DLC more power to you.

However, to call EA Access "Netflix for Games" is a joke. #1 EA doesn't make all games. #2 You don't get access to all of EA's titles for the fee only the games EA decides and I suspect very rarely will it be the newest title (other than titles that bomb like UFC and Live)

Okay but honest question for you. Based on what you see and using your own estimated number is paying $200-$240 per year a "good deal?" I know you hate everything Microsoft and love everything Sony but would you actually be willing to pay that much to stream games? It seems excessive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Okay but honest question for you. Based on what you see and using your own estimated number is paying $200-$240 per year a "good deal?" I know you hate everything Microsoft and love everything Sony but would you actually be willing to pay that much to stream games? It seems excessive to me.
    Yes $200 - $240 a year = 3-4 full priced games at retail right now. That is good "value" assuming the following:

1. PS Now's Catalog is constantly updating and eventually becomes "full blown" (the entire or nearly the entire PS1, PS2, PS3 libraries depending on whether 3rd party publishers - like EA - cooperate)
    2. The games have or will eventually have "Full Support" (save/resume, trophies, ability to play others online in multiplier, etc..)
    3. There aren't allot of "tech" issues (lag, dropped connections, etc...)
    4. Sony eventually starts adding "new" PS4 titles to the library such as "indy" titles

Honestly, I eventually see + and PSNow eventually merging into one service to go along with your PS4. This gives you the ability to stream "old"/"classic" titles and is constantly updating its library of "classics" and also providing the user with "brand new" games as well (like + is doing with allot of indies).

YEARS down the road (possibly by the end of the PS4 cycle) I could see say "TLOU 4" (and other Sony 1st party titles) being released on release day onto PS+/Now. If/when that catches on other 3rd party studios could follow suit and boom the entire gaming industry is in the cloud/digital and is available in a subscription model. (of course when/if this happens the price undoubtedly would go up).

Of course the alternative to those who do not subscribe to PSNow is to buy games at retail or digitally separately.

In short, I think allot of people are thinking too much about PSNow's short term problems and not thinking about what Sony appears to want to turn this service into.

Of course, whether Sony can pull off the long term vision remains to be seen. However, IF they pull if off they will be WAY ahead of everyone in this area (which many believe is the inevitable future of console gaming). MS would be way behind in part b/c they allowed EA to setup a similar concept on their console.

Now if PSNow is successful EA will have to "eat it" come to Sony hat in hand and request for their titles to be put on PSNow/+ too to get their games and get $ from the console outselling its nearest competitor 3:1 ratio.

By the way that same price/value would be there for MS as well if they could pull off the same thing (with their exclusives in place of Sony's). However, to my knowledge they do NOT have anything in place close to PSNow right now.
    Last edited by CLW; 07-31-2014 at 04:19 PM.

I just think people would prefer to play a year old Need For Speed game than the PS1 version of Crash Team Racing.

Oh, so you got over your sickness when you play first person shooters? What did you not like about Battlefield 4? You also bought an Xbox One? What didn't you like about Peggle 2?

Like I said, Sony is offering worse than year old games right now. The vast majority of it is 2 or 3 year old stuff that was never good in the first place and can probably be bought for under $5. If that's truly their launch lineup for PS Now, it's going to suffer an extremely bumpy launch.

Oh, so you got over your sickness when you play first person shooters? What did you not like about Battlefield 4? You also bought an Xbox One? What didn't you like about Peggle 2?

Like I said, Sony is offering worse than year old games right now. The vast majority of it is 2 or 3 year old stuff that was never good in the first place and can probably be bought for under $5. If that's truly their launch lineup for PS Now, it's going to suffer an extremely bumpy launch.
    It's called google and reading articles.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/04/ea...rity-for-dice/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/..._medium=social

Moreover, one could simply have read posts from the most "knowledgeable" and "all knowing" person here re Battlefield 4:

I've NEVER seen a game with so many problems at launch as Battlefield 4 had, and it took them MONTHS to fix a lot of them.
    Hell, Battlefield 4 is STILL in beta as far as I'm concerned. A game the size of Battlefield still rubber band lagging 7 months after release.
    I have no pity [regarding above lawsuit against EA]. The game in it's launch and current state is hot garbage. There is absolutely no doubt that EA knew it wasn't ready and released it anyway so it could compete with this year's Call of Duty. They deserve every single thing that potentially happens.
    Do a quick search around the internet for it. If you're not having any problems, then you're in the vast, and I mean VAST minority. There's tons of people noticing the hit detection, constants disconnections for some people, constant lag for some people, horrible spawn location and logic, and all kinds of other glitches. There's a ton of things that are wrong with this game, and it's specifically because it was rushed to beat Call of Duty Ghosts to the market.
    Like I said, being able to overlook issues with the game is great trait to have; I honestly wish I was able to do the same. However, I can't, and there's no getting around that the online portion of this game right now and ever since launch has been hot garbage and seemingly everyone involved (DICE, media, investors, countless customers on the internet) acknowledges that.
    I guess I should consider myself lucky, though, as a lot of people can't even stay connected to games, and at least up to this point, I have not had that problem. Minor but consistent lag, horrific hit detection, and terrible spawn logic are my huge issues.
    Yes, but you're not losing accuracy in this game. Your shots are simply not registering even though they should be, aka, terrible game mechanics.
    Played a few games the past few nights on PS4. All the matches were just infested with lag. I can't believe I actually forked over $50 for Premium.
    There's people that still can't connect at all. It's an absolute mess.
    Check that thread out. All kinds of different problems for different people. Easily the most inconsistent crap shoot of a game I've played in recent memory.
    "THE END OF DECEMBER 2XP EVENT FOR PREMIUM MEMBERS HAS BEEN POSTPONED AND WILL BE RUN AT A LATER DATE. STAY TUNED FOR MORE INFORMATION. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE."

I don't care about the event. It's more about [EA] being so incompetent they can't even manage to do something as simple as that when they say.
    I'll let the other members here try to decide who is talking out of both sides of his ass on that one.

At launch and during the first few weeks those comments are accurate.

I would say the absolute same thing about The Last of Us right now with how awful it's matchmaking and lag is, so does that mean you're going to go on record as saying it's not good?

Besides, whether or not Battlefield is good was not my point. You've never played it (and we ALL know you've never played it - or Peggle 2 for that matter), so you have ZERO right to state your opinion on it. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I just think people would prefer to play a year old Need For Speed game than the PS1 version of Crash Team Racing.
    I would love a HD remastered of Need For Speed underground 2.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorfanStovy View Post
    I would love a HD remastered of Need For Speed underground 2.
    Can't lie, as would I.

$20/mo or $15/mo (if you buy 3 months)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/...62a40466000011

Unless they get a MUCH better selection of games than what they have had during the beta, I'll still pass. They need to get some AAA shit on there.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Unless they get a MUCH better selection of games than what they have had during the beta, I'll still pass. They need to get some AAA shit on there.
    I agree the selection needs to get much larger. However, if they do it properly PSNow can basically become the Netflix for gaming.

I agree the selection needs to get much larger. However, if they do it properly PSNow can basically become the Netflix for gaming.
    Yeah, if they explode the selection way beyond just 100 games, it could be something worthwhile. I'm just glad they went to a monthly subscription and at a reasonable price compared to the per-game crap they were doing in the beta.

At launch and during the first few weeks those comments are accurate.

I would say the absolute same thing about The Last of Us right now with how awful it's matchmaking and lag is, so does that mean you're going to go on record as saying it's not good?

Besides, whether or not Battlefield is good was not my point. You've never played it (and we ALL know you've never played it - or Peggle 2 for that matter), so you have ZERO right to state your opinion on it. Plain and simple.
    Think I will exercise my lack of a right to state an opinion and state there are a lot of games and many other things I would not enjoy and I know this without ever trying them.

The PlayStation Now subscription games you need to play

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/13/th...play/view-all/

BTW - I'm going to start the 7 day trial tonight and assuming no major problems going with the 3 month plan. I see enough games in the library right now to justify it for me for at least 3 months. Allot of these games were put out when I was a sports only "gamer" so I missed nearly all of these titles. Judging from the posts on the PS blog, the impression I get is that more games will be added on a rolling basis (perhaps as often as monthly) starting with PS3 games and eventually working back to PS2 and PS1 games.

I'll post my thoughts as I try multiple titles and note any issues with lag/graphics/etc...

Update: downloaded the app and went to start but got an error message. No clue if its related to PSN being down or not but everything else on my ps4 seems to be working fine.