Thread: The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid

• Facebook
  • Display

The Coaching Career of Rusty Reid

Being a dedicated late adopter, it's fitting that I start this dynasty when there's only one dynasty on the list that's been updated in the past 2 weeks. That's just how I roll. I've got no plans to buy the Xbox One or PS4 anytime soon, looking for a steep decrease in prices before that happens. As it relates to NCAA Football, I'm somewhat of an old veteran but not with this game. I've got a lot to learn, literally just purchased it yesterday.

I was the commissioner of the now-defunct Tradition Football league on Tradition Sports Online for a number of years. At some point, I started to get worn down by all the user games specifically. The scheduling, which always seemed to be around dinner time, was probably the key factor in me finally giving it up. I also have a 1-hour commute each way for my job, which for most responsible "grown ups" would be the time they're using to play video games in the first place. The last nail in the coffin was my job itself, where I sometimes work 30-40 hour per week but other times become extremely busy and just live at the office for a couple weeks in a row. It's disappointing to put all the camaraderie and the challenge of user games behind me but it's what I had to do.

Before I was an online dynasty fanatic, I was part of the group at a site called The Thinking Man's Guide to Madden where myself and a few other people were writing some of the first dynasties that I ever remember reading, back in 1996-1998. Maybe the dynasty reporting phenomenon was invented somewhere else, I don't know, but I might be more of a dynasty reporter than an online guy. I like losing games, I like a story line, and I will limit myself accordingly where possible.

I'm putting this here only to keep track of my own progress, and expect it to be in a relatively free-flowing style. The setup of this dynasty is that my friend is controlling the dynasty and is playing as Western Kentucky. I've selected Idaho as my starting point (Head Coach). I was going to be a coordinator, but IIRC it can be a lot more difficult to merge into a head coaching position from a coordinator spot. If I'm wrong... Oh well.
    Last edited by Hellisan; 11-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Rusty Reid
    Height: 6-0
    Weight: 321
    Hometown: Los Gatos, CA

A cousin of NFL coach Andy Reid, Rusty shares a similar penchant for offensive creativity. He coached his way up through the Los Angeles area high school ranks before impressing Idaho athletic director Rob Spear in an interview. The NFL family pedigree is probably why he got the job, however Reid has a commanding presence on the sideline. Only time will tell if he has the pure coaching acumen of his namesake in Kansas City, but a review of his personal file indicates two key differences: He's willing to step in when his family is in danger and spend time with them instead of his football team, and he knows how to manage the clock.

Settings
    10 minute quarters
    AA Offense / Heisman Defense
    Minimal Sliders (for now)
    25% player speed threshold
    Last edited by Hellisan; 12-01-2013 at 01:14 AM.

2013 Roster

Idaho Vandals - 2013 Roster

Last edited by Hellisan; 12-01-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Setting Up the Board

There are 75 players interested, total. By and large here in the early going I will be ignoring anybody over a 2-star unless they have me #1 or later in the year they are being ignored (does that even happen in this game?). One exception would be if they were in Idaho, or they were in an adjoining state and the main schools in WA/OR/NV were behind us on their interest list, or a position of extreme need where we're not going against any powerhouses.

Assuming there are still players that go unnoticed by the CPU, I will allow myself to sign one unrealistically high player, a maximum of 3 stars over my present rating, for every star rating I am. So I'm a 1-star, that means if I find a 4-star recruit that's getting ignored I can go after one. Lastly I need to sign my fair share of local 1-star talent that wants to come to my school.

Based on these rough parameters i've got 35 players on the board that should be able to marginally improve this team.

Season Preview

Normally season previews are pretty fun for me and I'll spend some time on them but we know the deal; Idaho is bad. I took a bad team for the challenge. I don't know the team all that well right now so I don't have much to say about them. With no further ado, let's go to the schedule.

Looking at the schedule you normally estimate which games will result in wins and other that will result in losses. I'd estimate we'll be the underdog in at least 10 of the 12 games we play this season. we'll just prepare as best we can... We start off with a game in Denton, Tx.
    Last edited by Hellisan; 12-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Welcome to the club Hellisan. Looking forward to your updates.