Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox One - Questions & General Comments on Console

• Facebook
  • Display
    And as of 12 noon, I am officially on the Xbox Home page and ready to rock and roll. Took all of 17 minutes to fire up the system, download the update, and go through the set up to calibrate the Kinect and get my account signed in.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Do you feel like an ape trying to naturally hit the shoulder buttons, or is that just me?
    Just a bit. That would definitely rate as a miss by Microsoft on that one.

What XBLA games are out there now?
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    What XBLA games are out there now?
    Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Powerstar Golf, and Zoo Tycoon($60, WTF) are the only ones I see right now. It's kind of hard to find because they took away categories.

Lococycle, Crimson Dragon, Powerstar Golf, and Zoo Tycoon($60, WTF) are the only ones I see right now. It's kind of hard to find because they took away categories.
    Wonder if WSOP is going to be on XB1 too.
    The dude abides.

Alright, got a slew of apps downloading. Netflix, XBox Music, Xbox Video, Blu-ray Player, SkyDrive, NFL Network, Twitch, ESPN, Upload Studio, Fox Now, FX Now, Amazon Instant Video and Upload Studio.

And as for QR codes, not sure about phones and tablets, Beatn, I think it was you who mentioned that, but on shiny cards or on paper, it works fast and simple. One or two seconds held up to the camera and it pops right up with a command prompt.

I decided for apps, I'm just going to use the PS3 since I have a bluetooth remote for it.
    The dude abides.

Nice. I put Forza 5 into my Xbox, and it instantly started installing on its own, I didn't have to prompt anything. It also popped up that there was an update for the game that needed to be downloaded without even starting the game. That will make things quicker and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Nice. I put Forza 5 into my Xbox, and it instantly started installing on its own, I didn't have to prompt anything. It also popped up that there was an update for the game that needed to be downloaded without even starting the game. That will make things quicker and easier.
    Can you pause updates? PS4 does them automatically too, but you can't pause yet.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Can you pause updates? PS4 does them automatically too, but you can't pause yet.
    That's a good question. You can pause installations. Not sure about updates.

Got everything set up. Kinect is borderline freaky. I've been installing Dead Rising 3 for 15 minutes now and it's 1% done. Uh...
    Ugh. I'm going through the same thing with Forza 5 at the moment. It's been installing for probably half an hour, 45 minutes and it's only 54% done. It's gonna take a good hour to install games. However, at least you can start playing them after only 12-15%. I've already run a couple races in Forza 5. Once Forza is done, I'll probably install Dead Rising 3 next, and let that go while I take a nap. Woke up at 6am yesterday, never got to sleep until 2am this morning because of heartburn, and had to be up by 5am for work. So I'm going on 3 hours of sleep over the last 31 1/2 hours. Doze for a couple hours and then get in an hour or so of zombie killing before going into work for basketball. Come home, and maybe start installing Ryse while I watch some TV.

Definitely looking forward to dealing with mostly digital games in the future. I'd love to give Dead Rising 3 and Ryse a whirl right now, but with Forza in the middle of installing, I can't play them. After today, with the day one editions of DR3, Forza 5 and Ryse, other than games that have the rarely very enticing pre-order offers, I may just stick to buying them off of the Xbox Live store digitally.

Yeah same goes for PS4. 2K wasn't that slow of an install for 46GB, but Battlefield was HORRIBLE in getting the whole thing installed. I wonder if you get a game digitally it's worse? Because 2K I have on disc, Battlefield 4 was the digital upgrade from PS3.
    The dude abides.

God, and I used to think the installs on the 360 were bad. Well, even if it takes longer digitally, at least then I can still play multiple games instead of being stuck with just which one is in the disc tray.

One thing I'll say, I'm enjoying the Kinect so far.

I never cared for it on 360, just seemed like a waste of space used for nothing but crappy games. But so far in my very limited time with it on the Xbox One, it certainly has made things easy. Watching a movie on Netflix and had to piss, simply said "Xbox Pause", got up and pissed, came back and said "Xbox Resume" and sat back down where I left off without ever raising a finger or lifting my controller.

While laying here on the couch, wanted to see how far along Forza was at installing, just said Xbox go to home", looked at where the installation was at while the movie continued playing in a panel, then said "Xbox resume Netflix" and back to watching the movie in full screen. And never a single finger lifted nor the controller moved.

I may not really care about the games they make/release exclusively for Kinect, but I think I'll enjoy it when it comes to how quick and easy it is to use to jump around from this to that and jump between different things just by saying two or three words instead of having to make 5 or 10 button clicks just to get to the same place.

Found a nice little list of, so far, known commands for use with Xbox One/Kinect.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1251...ur-new-console

Starting at the top, these are the commands that will get you going:

Xbox on - Wakes up Xbox One, can turn on television and cable/satellite set-top box.
    Xbox turn off - Puts Xbox One to sleep/off, can turn off television and cable/satellite set-top box. You'll then have to confirm you want to turn it off with a "yes".
    Xbox select - Shows voice command options for everything on the screen that is supported, highlighting relevant commands.
    Stop listening - Stops Kinect from listening or cancels voice commands if Kinect is triggered during casual conversation.
    Xbox help - Shows help menu with available options.
    Xbox sign in/out or Xbox sign in as [person] - Signs in/out an Xbox Live member.
    Xbox show notification - Shows on-screen notification(s).

Xbox One is making a heavy play for TV and to do so, you'll need TV controls. Here's what you get:

Xbox watch TV - Launches cable or satellite TV from set-top box. We've used this a lot, it works really well.
    Xbox show guide or Xbox OneGuide - Launches OneGuide for cable or satellite TV subscribers. Less useful at the moment, as it's not coming to the UK until 2014.
    Xbox volume up/down Xbox mute/unmute - Controls volume of TV set or AV receiver, if enabled in the settings.

Next you'll be wanting to get around the Xbox One interface, without using your controller. Here's what you need to drift from place to place:

Xbox go Home or Xbox show my stuff - Returns to Home. This is the command you'll probably use the most.
    Xbox Snap [app] - Launches activity in Snap mode. This is great fun and works well.
    Xbox unsnap - Unsnaps activity in Snap mode.
    Xbox switch - Switches focus of the activities in Snap mode and Fill mode.
    Xbox go to [activity] - Launches specific games, TV shows, apps, notifications and sections of the dash. This is a hugely important command, you'll use it a lot.
    Xbox show menu - In full screen: shows menu for whatever is on the screen. At Home: shows menu for whatever is in the current window.
    Xbox go back - Returns to previous screen or menu option.

In games you'll probably use less commands, and more controller, although games like Zoo Tycoon offer plenty of voice control too. But the big ones relating to gaming are:

Xbox record that - Records the previous 30 seconds of gameplay, which is a great trick for catching those.
    Xbox start a party - Launches the Party app in Snap mode, although you can start the party at any time.
    Xbox use a code - Triggers Kinect code scanning for QR codes for game downloads, etc.
    Xbox pause/Xbox play - Pauses gameplay or resumes gameplay, meaning no more scrabbling for buttons when the phone rings.

The Xbox one fancies itself as a complete media solution for your living room, so you'll be wanting to control your videos and music too. Here's what you need:

Xbox play [music/video] - Launches video and music playback.
    Xbox play/stop/pause/fast forward/rewind/faster/ slower/skip forward/skip backward/next song/ previous song - Controls for media playback, works on both music and video.

Then you have Skype as a fully integrated feature. Here's what you need to say to get talking:

Xbox Skype [person] or Xbox call [person] - Launches Skype call to a person from your Skype favorites list on your Xbox One.
    Xbox answer/answer without video - Answers incoming Skype call.
    Xbox hang up - Ends Skype call.
    Xbox send message - Sends message to your Xbox Live friends.

Then there are universal commands to help you search and use Internet Explorer:

Xbox Bing pause [item(s)] - Launches Bing, then searches for the game, movie, TV show, game add-on or app using conversational voice. We've found it to be a bit hit and miss.
    browse to [website] - Browses to a specific website when already in Internet Explorer.

While on the topic of Internet Explorer, the browser actually contains a lot of dedicated commands for navigation which only apply when it's open - here's a couple of useful ones:

Scroll up/Scroll down - scrolls the page up or down.
    Click on [link] - clicks a link on the webpage.

Different apps require different voice commands that are specific to that app. We've listed most of the system commands here that you'll get to learn, but there's plenty more once you're in an app. We mentioned Zoo Tycoon, where you'll be able to talk instead of using buttons in some cases. Then in Snap you'll get highlighted options you can say instead of click. But if you get stuck, you can get a list of voice commands like this:

Xbox - Shows menu of voice command options and begins listening for the next command.

Ugh. I'm going through the same thing with Forza 5 at the moment. It's been installing for probably half an hour, 45 minutes and it's only 54% done. It's gonna take a good hour to install games. However, at least you can start playing them after only 12-15%. I've already run a couple races in Forza 5. Once Forza is done, I'll probably install Dead Rising 3 next, and let that go while I take a nap. Woke up at 6am yesterday, never got to sleep until 2am this morning because of heartburn, and had to be up by 5am for work. So I'm going on 3 hours of sleep over the last 31 1/2 hours. Doze for a couple hours and then get in an hour or so of zombie killing before going into work for basketball. Come home, and maybe start installing Ryse while I watch some TV.

Definitely looking forward to dealing with mostly digital games in the future. I'd love to give Dead Rising 3 and Ryse a whirl right now, but with Forza in the middle of installing, I can't play them. After today, with the day one editions of DR3, Forza 5 and Ryse, other than games that have the rarely very enticing pre-order offers, I may just stick to buying them off of the Xbox Live store digitally.
    Installations on PS4 are much, much quicker. I really don't know why, either. That's the first thing I noticed when installing Dead Rising. No biggie, really.

Found a nice little list of, so far, known commands for use with Xbox One/Kinect.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1251...ur-new-console
    Have you tried

XBOX, blowjob?
    The dude abides.

XBOX Play a game from a disc. Sorry we cannot do that.....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...dware-problems

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    XBOX Play a game from a disc. Sorry we cannot do that.....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/...dware-problems
    Yep, as I said somewhere before, Sony and Microsoft should be ashamed of rushing these out. It's asinine the amount of problems both systems have had and the amount of common sense features both seem to be missing.

A 2 month delay for these systems could've really helped. But honestly, not many regular people know about all these errors and problems.

Yep, as I said somewhere before, Sony and Microsoft should be ashamed of rushing these out. It's asinine the amount of problems both systems have had and the amount of common sense features both seem to be missing.
    I don't seem any of the things with PS4 as a problem. I'm perfectly content with the system right now. There are a couple of things I wish the system could do, but in no way is it taking away from my enjoyment of the system; nor would I classify it as a major problem.
    The dude abides.