Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1763

Thread: PlayStation 4 - Questions & General Comments on Console

• Facebook
  • Display
    It will also require a power supply. So it will take up a bit more space, adds a wire and takes up an outlet. It is available at Amazon for $10 less ($109) than Newegg at $119 if these are not an issue.

Top selling external drives sold at Amazon.

#3 is a 4TB and is portable, no power supply required for $119.

While I have a 2TB Seagate for my Xbox, they are not the highest quality drives and pretty similar to Western Digital in regards to failure rate. Hitachi (HGST) makes the best drives but you pay a bit more for a lower failure rate. Basically the Western Digital Premium line.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Just from looking at stuff on Newegg, I'd go with this since it has the 4 TB HDD and the enclosure included, it's basically the price of a normal 4 TB HDD right now, and it's got good reviews.
    Thanks mors. I haven't kept up on hard drives lately, so wasn't sure if there were any that were quality and recommended.

Thankfully all I need the thing to do is hold games, I'm not backing up a computer or a server or something, so worst case, if it fails down the road, I'd just have to reinstall/re-download my games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe you more tech savy guys will know this.

Other than the obvious benefit of larger HDD sizes how will/does this thing work.

Right now I have 2 PS4s: (1) A PS4 Pro on my OLED and (2) my launch PS4 upstairs in my media room

Can I just transfer all my games to the external HDD and then move the drive back and forth to whichever PS4 I'm playing. I.e. if I have some time during the day while the wife is at work I can play on the OLED and at night I can just move the external drive upstairs and pick up where I left off?

I read on the PS blog that only apps and games would be saved on the external HDD but isn't there a way to use PS+ cloud saves for the actual game/file saves that would make it easy to use more than one PS4?

I too would be interested in this, mainly if anything because buying a Pro is on my agenda sometime these next 11 months, and hoping to use a mix of external drive ans Plus cloud saves to make the switch from launch console to Pro extremely quick, easy and painless.

Maybe I'm missing the real question and I haven't done it in a couple years but I also have 2 PS4s. For awhile one was in the living room and one was in my bedroom. Now, one is in my living room and the other is in my daughter's room.

When the 2nd console was in my bedroom, I frequently uploaded my game saves to the PS+ cloud storage and continued seasons of FIFA and The Show on the other console.

It was simple and the only pain involved was remembering to do it. My apologies if I missed the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Maybe you more tech savy guys will know this.

Other than the obvious benefit of larger HDD sizes how will/does this thing work.

Right now I have 2 PS4s: (1) A PS4 Pro on my OLED and (2) my launch PS4 upstairs in my media room

Can I just transfer all my games to the external HDD and then move the drive back and forth to whichever PS4 I'm playing. I.e. if I have some time during the day while the wife is at work I can play on the OLED and at night I can just move the external drive upstairs and pick up where I left off?

I read on the PS blog that only apps and games would be saved on the external HDD but isn't there a way to use PS+ cloud saves for the actual game/file saves that would make it easy to use more than one PS4?
    I don't think they have said if users can move files manually to the external drive.

I would guess that files/games on the external *might* work when moved to another PS4, provided you are using the same PSN account. Though, perhaps in addition to being tied to your PSN they may also be tied to that specific internal console HDD.

Nothing with tech/gaming is as easy as it could or should be.

Well I looked at the issue further over at Neogaf and they seem to think that you can in fact just move the external HDD around to multiple PS4s with the caveat that you need to use PS+ cloud saves for the actual game files as the game files will NOT save to the external HDD only internal and you need to use your PSN profile on the "extra" PS4(s).

I'm downloading the beta now but I doubt it will let me use the same code on multiple PS4s and I have bought a 4 TB external HDD.
    Last edited by CLW; 02-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Also a tech related question.

My current internet speed is 50 down and 5 up. The only "issues" i have with it are the current download speeds on my PS4 are REALLY BAD my launch PS4 is wired and its slow and my PS4 Pro is wireless and its even worse. AT&T is now offering "fiber" 100 down speeds. Would that improve my downloads on my PS4 or is it more a limitation of the ps4 hardware and/or downloading on PSN?

I think it's PSN related. My download speeds never come close to what I pay for and that's true for both wireless and hard wired. It's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I think it's PSN related. My download speeds never come close to what I pay for and that's true for both wireless and hard wired. It's annoying.
    Pretty much this. Easily the biggest complaint you see about the last two Sony systems. Wired will always be better than Wifi and the more download speed the better but you are still limited by Sony.

Yeah I think you guys are right - I left out a 0 above AT&T is offering 1000 down now so that would help with streaming multiple 4K movies etc..... but i'm not sure it would help my Pro downstairs on the wifi. I cannot wait until we finish the damn "remodel" and the last room is my media room which is going to be EPIC.

Yeah, my PS4 is so much damn slower than my Xbox One at downloading games and updates. Absurdly slower. Not sure why the PS4 can't utilize the full speed I'm getting from my ISP, but hopefully it's something that can be improved over time from system updates, if Sony is willing to put in the time. If it's what it is and can't be improved, well that sucks. I guess I'll just have to get used to really long ass download times.

I have the beta for 4.50 and the custom theme is pretty nice you can even get wallpapers from the web but its a little tricky finding the right image on that PS4 browser to take a screenshot from.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Also a tech related question.

My current internet speed is 50 down and 5 up. The only "issues" i have with it are the current download speeds on my PS4 are REALLY BAD my launch PS4 is wired and its slow and my PS4 Pro is wireless and its even worse. AT&T is now offering "fiber" 100 down speeds. Would that improve my downloads on my PS4 or is it more a limitation of the ps4 hardware and/or downloading on PSN?
    - Out of curiosity, when you do a network test what NAT settings & speed does it show?

- Do you download items with the system in Rest Mode? It goes faster there as compared to having the console on.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    - Out of curiosity, when you do a network test what NAT settings & speed does it show?

- Do you download items with the system in Rest Mode? It goes faster there as compared to having the console on.
    The speeds vary WILDLY. Guesstimating long term averages are roughly 25-30 down on the wired and 5-15 on the wifi.

This morning I reset all the settings to "simple" for both the wired and wireless PS4 and oddly I got an average of 25 down and 3 up for both the wired and wifi PS4s after 5 tests for each PS4. That is the best I've ever seen out of the wifi PS4 so I doubt it stays that strong.

Both ALWAYS show the NAT as Type 2 for both the wired and wifi.

I do not download in rest mode I wasn't aware that helped the speeds.

I can confirm that 4.50 allows you to move an external HDD to more than one PS4 and play games on both consoles (at least if you login under your ID).

Note, the 1st time I tried I lost the folders downstairs but it seems to be fine now. Also note that on initial boot up it takes a few minutes for the PS4 to recognize all the digital games on the external HDD. There is a flashing "can" light noting that the PS4 is apparently reading something off of the external HDD before it will let you open/play the game.

Well, not that I really needed them, especially with Sniper Elite 4 releasing this Tuesday and Ghost Recon Wildlands out in a month, but due to there currently being an Ubisoft publisher sale on the PS Store, I snagged Far Cry Primal for $19.99 and Steep (the snowboarding/skiing/paragliding/wingsuiting on the side of a mountain game that just released two months ago back on December 2nd) for $29.99.

I haven't touched Primal yet, but I did play the intro to Steep (since the game is still only half downloaded) and it's fun! I liked what I saw of the game back during E3, and actually playing it tonight, I had a lot of fun blazing down the side of a mountain on a snowboard and flying essentially nap of the earth in a wingsuit.

I've thought about buying a PS4 Pro and having a second PS4 in the house rather than trade/sell my original PS4. But I wasn't sure how good that would be without having to buy a second PS+ account to play online and needing to buy a second game if my kids wanted to be able to play games together like Overwatch, Destiny, For Honor etc. Well it turns out there is a perfectly legit way to use both PS4s if you buy only ONE digital copy and one PS+ account.

Basically, the biggest gamer should buy the games digitally and have the PS+ account. That user can play their games on any PS4 regardless if it's their primary console or not (you can only have one primary). But on their primary PS4 anyone can play their games and be online. So for my family, my kids would be able to play any game on my Primary PS4. If I got a second PS4 I could play on that secondary system and any digital games while my kids could also play the same game on the primary system. My kids could not play any online game on the secondary PS4 but it would work great. It would actually be better if I bought my next PS+ account through my son along with digital copies since he's the primary online gamer. Read the full article along with one quote below.

"The first method: This is how we have the PS4s set up in my own home. Our main room console is set up as primary for both my wife and I. All games that we purchase or redeem are done on her account, so that when she logs in on the second console, she can still play them, despite it not being her primary. This allows me to log in and play games on our main PS4, and her to play them on her second one without any locks or limitations. It also allows us to play online multiplayer games like The Division or Garden Warfare 2 together, even though we’ve only purchased or redeemed the license on her account. The downside of this setup is that she cannot play any games that I’ve purchased or redeemed on my account unless she is on our main PS4."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...-ps4/#/slide/1

That's what I've done for years. My "Primary" PS4 is in my daughter's room. My other PS4 is in the living room which is the one that I play on. She is a sub-account of my account.

Until about 2 years ago, I had to buy PS+ for her but they changed that and now only I need it and we both get the benefits.

The only drawback to this setup is that every account has to have their own DLC as it is tied to your profile. Therefore, on games we both play I have buy DLC twice and on handed that only she plays I have to be sure to buy it using her PSID (loading funds to her ID and then purchasing as her).