Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 14: The Show (PS3/PS4)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Has there been any other details on this?
    The dude abides.

Sony did not present anything at CES which is unusual. Potential delays?

If we didn't hear anything two months out for NCAA Football, there would be mass outrage. Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    If we didn't hear anything two months out for NCAA Football, there would be mass outrage. Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it.
    Nothing new since the first images. Generally you will find updates here and on the PS Blog. They still link to buying the game from Gamestop with a date of 4/1, which is a Tuesday, the norm for when games are released.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

Their community event is usually right before the game goes gold. The information is closely guarded, they haven't done a demo in years, haven't added an MVP hitter's eye and generally don't make big changes year to year and yet the OS community defends the game at every turn and goes after critics like a witch hunt. It's the worst forum on OS due to the annoying fanboys.

The Show is a really, really good game but it has gotten a bit stale and isn't perfect.

It definitely isn't perfect but compared to the entire sports genre they consistently turn out the best sim game year in and year out period.

My concern is this potential for this VC garbage from 2K creeping its way into The Show.

That's why I want some info. Thinking the may change the game with next gen. At least hoping.

The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    My concern is this potential for this VC garbage from 2K creeping its way into The Show.
    Yeah that would be terrible to see it creeping up from 2K. Oh wait...

MLB 13: The Show

MLB 12: The Show

MLB 11: The Show

I wish they would steal the commentary from the 2K series because it was a shit-ton better than "The Show."

Just getting up to speed on this thread because The Show is the next game coming out that has the ability to get me to consider a PS4.

I LOVE the idea of having the ability to continue a franchise from version to version. I hope this feature makes it's way to other sports titles as well as to online modes like GM Connected.

Yup, the ability to carry over franchise saves is a cool thing. I'm not sure I will use the generated pitch counts but it's a great idea for shortening games if you want to try it.

For me the Show needs to improve the presentation and commentary. I was blown away by it back in the Show 06 but it's stale now and you can really tell the announcers don't record their commentary together.

I would love to see a 2K hitter's eye or MVP system where the pitch will occassionally flash to indicate pitch type depending on the batter's attributes and/or pitcher's attributes. I really liked that system in 2K baseball because a batter's ability to work walks actually is rated and helps you at the plate. It helps differentiate the batters more. The guess pitch system in the Show is 100% arcade like and I don't like it. Unfortunately the Show devs hate "batter's eye" and unless something changes we are unlikely to see it.

It's beyond time that they added defensive ratings by position. I don't just want a primary and secondary position. That's very primitive. Some guys have the ability to play many positions and play them well. To pigeon hole a player into one position and then just give them 80% of that defense at the secondary position and 20% outside both is weak. Fielding in general has always bugged me a little in the Show. At times it feels too scripted and that I don't control enough of the outcome. I liked what 2K attempted with outfielders the last few years where the circles to catch fly balls were bigger for worse defenders and could make you worry when attempting to catch fly balls.

At the end of the day though the Show has no major weaknesses. It does a great job in almost every area which is where 2K really suffered. 2K had some nice ideas but their bugs and failures really hurt that game along with the poor animations.

Online Franchise coming, at least to PS3:

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Online Franchise coming, at least to PS3:

Assuming the Online gameplay isn't still shit, this might actually give me a reason to purchase MLB for the first time in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Assuming the Online gameplay isn't still shit, this might actually give me a reason to purchase MLB for the first time in forever.
    Big, big, big, BIG assumption. Along with NBA 2K, The Show continually has by far the worst connection quality among online sports games.

They have 4 short videos up on OS and some very quick impressions: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...os-taiwan.html

The base running camera reminds me of 2K's new change in 2K11 through 2K13. It's from the batter's perspective. CC Sabathia is still fat and that will have to be changed. I think the throwing meter over infielders is still way too big. It looks out of place.

Russell chimed in that there is the new baserunning camera on offense is a dynamic camera that has a split second delay for transition. He also said there is a defensive dynamic camera too. I have no idea what that looks like. The other cameras are still there and exactly the same as last year (with no delay for camera transition).

The videos have ball trail on (it was on Rookie apparently). Pitch count is in the score bug now so you always know what it is. Matty V is still the play by play guy.
    Last edited by Rudy; 01-27-2014 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Big, big, big, BIG assumption. Along with NBA 2K, The Show continually has by far the worst connection quality among online sports games.
    Agreed. It's a laggy ass HR and strikeout fest. I can't imagine they invested much time to make it better on PS3. Perhaps they have improved it on the new hardware but we shall see. I'm not getting my hopes up tho.

I've never bought this game for online so it's still a buy for me. The simulated pitch counts and carry over saves have me extremely interested. I may finally wander out of RTTS mode. Getting through a 162 game season of franchise mode could become a lot quicker. And continuing in year 3 of my franchise when the next game comes out makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSWARD View Post
    Agreed. It's a laggy ass HR and strikeout fest. I can't imagine they invested much time to make it better on PS3. Perhaps they have improved it on the new hardware but we shall see. I'm not getting my hopes up tho.

I've never bought this game for online so it's still a buy for me. The simulated pitch counts and carry over saves have me extremely interested. I may finally wander out of RTTS mode. Getting through a 162 game season of franchise mode could become a lot quicker. And continuing in year 3 of my franchise when the next game comes out makes it even better.
    Yeah, I just want to see how next gen is for it. If I'm not feeling it, and online is powered by Gamespy, I'll sell it.
    The dude abides.

What I'm most interested in is the PS4 release date. I am still on the fence as to when I will get serious about getting a PS4. Part of me says wait until the bugs are worked out (hopefully before NHL 15 and FIFA 15) and part of me says jump in with The Show.

Either way, I REFUSE to pay 1¢ over retail so I will have to wait for them to become readily available. That is another factor unto itself.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Either way, I REFUSE to pay 1¢ over retail so I will have to wait for them to become readily available. That is another factor unto itself.
    Available now at Best Buy

They're slowly but surely starting to catch up with manufacturing/shipping. I'd say it'll only be another month or so before you can just walk into a store and buy one with no problem. Hell, they've been in stock at Best Buy for 2 days now.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Available now at Best Buy

They're slowly but surely starting to catch up with manufacturing/shipping. I'd say it'll only be another month or so before you can just walk into a store and buy one with no problem. Hell, they've been in stock at Best Buy for 2 days now.
    Thanks, man.

I still don't think I'll pull the trigger until, at least, MLB is close to releasing though. I don't play many games (I bought 3 titles in all of 2013) and I don't want to get a PS4 without an immediate game purchase (not just any game; a game I really want) to keep me busy. Otherwise, I'll start throwing away money on games I don't care about just to have something to play.

Shouldn't there be a release date coming soon? Just seems odd there isn't one yet.
    The dude abides.