Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaymo76 NCAA 14 to infinity and beyond!

• Facebook
  • Display
    So, I'm currently at halftime of my game against UNLV. You might want to tell your boys they need to work on pass defense a little bit more in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    So, I'm currently at halftime of my game against UNLV. You might want to tell your boys they need to work on pass defense a little bit more in the off-season.
    Dude I have been trying all season. They just won't listen. It my darn D coordinator. If we blitz we get burned and if we sit back we get scorched. I just don't have the players to keep up with pass happy/lack of D NCAA 14. I will need better recruits moving forward. Thank goodness for my potent passing game.

FYI here is some stuff on USU...

ovr c
    points per game: 18.0
    total offense: 299.7
    pass offense: 125.3
    total d: 425.0
    avg attendance: 7,113

qb Fisher 21-43 227 yards 2td 1 int
    rushing- qb Fisher 40 att 177 yards 2 td
    rec. Welsh 12 rec 141 yards

Forgot to mention my current pass D is ranked #80. We give up 253 yards per game. My run D is a solid #4 as we give up 89 yards per game. Passing wise we are a solid #34 (267.7 yards per game). The rushing needs to improve as we are #118 (107 yards per game). As USU is 102nd against the run I think I know the game philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Dude I have been trying all season. They just won't listen. It my darn D coordinator. If we blitz we get burned and if we sit back we get scorched. I just don't have the players to keep up with pass happy/lack of D NCAA 14. I will need better recruits moving forward. Thank goodness for my potent passing game.

FYI here is some stuff on USU...

ovr c
    points per game: 18.0
    total offense: 299.7
    pass offense: 125.3
    total d: 425.0
    avg attendance: 7,113

qb Fisher 21-43 227 yards 2td 1 int
    rushing- qb Fisher 40 att 177 yards 2 td
    rec. Welsh 12 rec 141 yards
    Well, maybe you can get some revenge in your dynasty.

(1-2) @ (2-1)

This is a huge game for me as I am brining in three big-time recruits for a complimentary visit.

#5 mlb Jed Davis
    #26 de Cory Schmidt
    #41 ath/cb Chad Daniels

... landing these three players will really help my D. As a result I am going with a very aggressive D package this game. We need to put on a show.

To open the game USU moved the ball well and then shanked a 46 yard field goal. We get the ball and 10 plays and 64 yards later Dixon to Gray for 6 and UNLV goes up 7-0. Wow! USU may have the best ever offensive line. I can't even reach the qb...??? Thank goodness the qb is awful (1-5 in the first quarter). The 1st quarter ends with USU and another 40+ yard fg shank.

The 2nd quarter did not go well for UNLV. We just cannot stop the scrambling qb and just like that it's 7-7. After some nice runs UNLV goes back on top 10-7 with a32 yard field goal. Then USU took over and drove all the way down the field and scored a td to move up 14-10 with 26 seconds left in the quarter. I could not stop the run or the pass.

Going into the third I was shocked. Clearly the scouting report on USU was wrong. There D was very, very strong and the run game was just killing me. USU put up 160 rush yards in the first half. UNLV only had 127 yards the entire half!!!

Huge play to start the second half... Mal Jalaal returns the ball from our 2 all the way down to USU's 33. Nice! From there it was a quick td as Dixon hooked up with Samuel in the endzone... 17-14 UNLV takes the lead. Then on USU's first possession sophomore cb Matt Douglas comes up with a huge pic and UNLV takes over at the USU 38. Seven plays later Dixon to Gray for six and with that UNLV increases the lead to 24-14.

At the start of the fourth we had the ball back and were driving. We went for it on 4th and 1 from the 8 and converted. From there Brown ran it in from the two to make the score 30-14 but USU challenged and the ball was spotted on the one. Next play fb Prince Harris punched it in and after the conversion, 31-14 UNLV.

With 4:47 left USU turned it over on downs. After putting in my mass subs, backup fb Sanders punches it in from the one and with 1:02 left the scoreline read 38-14 UNLV. After a USU drive Waters picks of the USU qb to seal the victory.

Final score... UNLV 38 USU 14

Looks can be deceiving and this was a tough game. That first half was brutal. Ugly game; ugly win. UNLV moves to 3-1. The only positives: Dixon threw three td's and zero pics; Brown had his second straight 100+ yard rush game.

Immediately following the USU game recruits MLB Jed Davis and RE Cory Schmidt committed to the UNLV programme.

Next up on the schedule is a tough road game versus Boise (2-1). We have had a lot of success vs. Boise so I really hope that continues.

Looking around the NCAA there were some big upsets this week.

AirForce 31- Freson St. 0
    Miami University 28 ND 26
    Central Michigan 41 BC 17
    Tulane 45 Wisconsin 35
    Vandy 41- Oregon 24
    Arizona St. 49 Stanford 42

** Tulsa finally lost Smooth (Memphis 42- Tulsa 39)

Right now Clemson (4-0) and Florida (4-0) are the top dogs in the NCAA, splitting coach and media polls. Temple continues to surprise as they are ranked #19. Sand Diego St. moves into #24 as they are 3-0. They are playing very well. I was worried about Wyoming... I should be worried about SDSU!!! This week they play #20 Ole Miss. They just may win that game...

Game 4: (3-1) @ (2-1)

I have played well (historically) on the blue turf. This Boise team is less stacked than many previous editions. However, Boise was weak last year and has clearly improved this year. Pulling out a victory would be a difficult challenge.

The game started off slow. I went three and out and then my D stepped up... two sacks and a safety. Just like that it's 2-0 UNLV. I then drove the field on a 14 play drive, chewing up yards and the clock. Brown goes in from the 1 on the first play of the second quarter. That makes it 9-0 UNLV. The lead didn't last though as Boise scorched me throough the air. This Boise qb is lights out!!!. Just like that it's 9-7.

As a side-note I see that SDSU lost 30-27 in OT to OLe Miss. That's huge for me as SDSU is first in MWC play. However, after getting that good news the wheels fell off. Dixon gets crushed at the nine and fumbles. One play later a 14 yard Boise run and it 14-9 Boise. Not to be outdone I moved to air raid hurry up and Dixon connected with Samuel for a td. UNLV went back on top 16-14. Then another ridiculous Boise drive where every pass is caught... and with 54 seconds in the half it's Boise in front 21-16.

After another 3 and out with zero completions I made the decision to switch qb's at the half. When Dixon is cold he is ice! Carlos Brown will get a chance. I don't think he can do as bad as Dixon (8-18 101 yards 1 td and 1 fumble). We will also need to try to get the run game going again.

After another long Boise drive I got lucky as CB Lorenzo Bell intercepted Boise's qb in our endzone. After a punt Boise gets the ball back and then a break for us. SS Titus Horne recovers a fumble in Boise territory. We are driving as the third quarter ends. Brown hooked up with TE Novak for six. We then went for 2 and converted to take the lead 24-21.

Boise having no will to give up marches down the field but I held them to three. With 4:34 left the score was 24-24 Mal Jalaal had a 42 yard kickoff return to give us great field position. However, we blew the field position and did nothing but punt the ball back. The D has to stop them now. Boise has a huge passing gain. I challenge the play and it's clearly out of bounds however since the challenge system is broken the catch counts even though the recievers feet never touch the ground. This puts the ball into fg range. However, karma Boise... the next play Johnson thrown an int to CB Greg Harris. We have life! However, since Boise players major in psychic route running... we punt the ball again as the Boise players were running the routes better than my recievers... Boise gets to my 48 but cannot convert. Wit that we go to OT.

I won the toss and started on D. Didn't matter Boise punched the ball in for a td. Even though (and I'm not kidding ...) SIX players were on the Boise rb he still managed to warp into the endzone... We get the ball and on 4th and 4 Brown goes to Davis for a td. We're tied again at 31-31 going into ot 2. Oh wait... we should have but apparently I missed the extra point to lose 31-30... With that we fall to 3-2.

Okay, not to sound like a poor sport but this game drove me nuts!!! The cpu decided to win regardless. I was on the verge of turning this off several times. Between the warping, route running, god-like passing, incorrect calls on the field, etc. This game was only going to result in one thing... a Boise victory. Okay rant over... back to the game...

Props to Boise running back Curtis Bradford who had 16 carries for 108 yards and three td's. Apparently Boise is near the bottom of the NCAA in rushing... I guess my D didn't get the memo? Boise DT Derek Day had a great day... 7 tackles, 3 tfl, 4 sacks, 1 ff.

Well with this brutal loss Air Force is our next game. They play us tough everytime so I don't expect this game to be any different.

With that loss I have dropped to fifth in the MWC (West division). SDSU and Nevada are looking very good thus far. Smooth, it's not good news for Utah St. They have now dropped to 1-4 with three straight losses (Tx St., UNLV, Nevada) and this week they play red hot SDSU. Also, Tulsa has now dropped two straight and is sitting at 2-2. Dhook, Ohio St is doing very well as they are # 10 ranked and sit a 4-1 as they head off to Iowa this week.

Game 6: (2-2) @ (3-2)

And with that it's go-time! Both teams are decked out in alternate style unis today. This is a big game for UNLV as star recruit Gill Simon is in town. He has locked us out but I can still use a lock breaker if I choose. I big game could get him back in the flock. Also, this game is becoming a bitter rivalry. These teams do NOT like each other and play tough games. The last team we met was in the MWC Championship.

It's another beautiful day in Vegas. AF starts with the ball. McFadden starts the game with a big sack. Let's hope that is a good sign! AF goes three and out. That rarely happens for our D. Things are looking up... until our first play where Dixon throws a pic (first time in three games). Just like clock work AF moves down the field but our D comes up big on 3rd down and registers another sack. AF misses from 44 and we stay at 0-0.

Side-note: Eric Fountain of Oklahoma has 17 catches thus far in the Red River rivalry. Wow!!!

Back to the game UNLV goes for it on 4th and 1 from our 39. Coach jaymo is in no mood for playing nice today. Players will perform or they will sit. The coach is still fuming from last week's debacle!!! And UNLV converts. UNLV drives to the 1 yard line. On third down Dixon to TE Novak for six and UNLV goes up 7-0. AF gets the ball back and another three and out.

UNLV is up 7-0 at the end of one quarter. Another drives stalls though as my offensive line is just awful. Dixon is always on his back. After exchanging possessions we get the ball back and on third and 8 Dixon hits Jalaal for a 78 yard td. AF non-stops blitz was exploited by the keen eyes of UNLV's coaching staff. With that it's 14-0 UNLV.

AF is forced to kick again after another three and out. DE Butler recorded his second sack of the game. After a few 3-0 exchanges UNLV puts together a drive before the end of the half and Fuller runs it in from 8 yards out to make the score 21-0 UNLV. The half ends with UNLV up big.

UNLV starts with the ball to begin the 2nd half. Taking the ball from the 19 UNLV drove all the way down the field and Dixon connected with Samuel for a 2 yard td. UNLV goes up with a shocking 28-0 lead.

At the start of the 4th we go for and make a 46 yard fg to make the score 31-0. Mass subs then got some work. WE got the ball back and marched down the field and Fuller ran it in from 7 yards out. That made the score 38-0 and it would hold.

This game was never close. Frankly it was embarrassing the way AF played. Here are some stats.

UNLV Dixon 14/22 234 yards 3td 1 int
    AF Hood 11/16 29 yards
    UNLV 14 pancakes AF 1
    UNLV 9 sacks AF 3

So at the halfway point of the season UNLV is sitting at 4-2. My prestige is an A+ with 100% job security. I need six wins this season to meet my target. I am now a level 20 coach (6 game management / 14 recruiting).

Current rank: 51st
    MWC West rank: 2nd

leaders:
    qb: Dixon 102/155 1244 yards 14td 6 int
    rb: Brown 98 att 458 yards 4td
    wr: Gray 30 rec 318 yards 5td's
    tackles: FS Smith (37
    sacks: Butler (de) Kendrick (de) 6 sacks each
    ints: Harris (cb) Waters (cb) 2 ints each
    return yards: Mal Jalaal- kick return: 557 punt returns: 235

As for home field advantage, Sam Boyd is becoming a tough environment. Our stadium atmosphere is now a B-. We average 22,983 fans per game but attendance is improving. Currently we have a 13 game win streak at home and are now ranked 53 toughest stadium in which to play. We actually have the longest win streak at home for anyone team in the NCAA! On a side-note, Kentucky is on an 8 home game losing streak. Wow! I didn't see that one coming.

Next up is a trip to Hawaii to take on the Warriors.

Around the league it is a four way race for the BCS. Currently Oklahoma, Florida, Miami, and USC are all undefeated and battling it out for the NC. Clemson lost to Louisville in OT to give up their #1 ranking.

The biggest surprise this year is upstart Tulane. They are currently #35 and are 5-0. The biggest loser has to be Oregon as they are 1-4. Smooth you will be sad to hear that Tulsa is now 2-3 and heading nowhere fast. Even worse, Utah State is now 1-5 and ranked #117 in the NCAA. Ouch!

I'm not sure when I will get to play again as I will be busy with work stuff this week. Hopefully by Friday I can get another game in? If I have time maybe one more tonight too? In four weeks UNLV has the "big" game vs. SDSU.

Damn, damn, damn.

Here Arizona State is actually doing decent for a change in my dynasty, and yet Tulsa and Utah State suck it up in yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Damn, damn, damn.

Here Arizona State is actually doing decent for a change in my dynasty, and yet Tulsa and Utah State suck it up in yours.
    If it makes you feel any better ASU is awful in my dynasty.

Game 7: (4-2) @ (3-2)

Aloha! UNLV's next test to them to rainy, rainy, rainy Oahu. Historically in my dynasties I have dominated Hawaii and never lost a game in Hawaii. Let's hope that trend continues.

Losing the toss we get the ball first. I decided based on the weather that today was all about ball control and running the clock.. The first big decision 4th and short... I don't make it and give Hawaii the ball. That was a mistake as they go to the house for 6 on their first drive.

At the end of the first quarter it's 7-0 Hawaii but I am putting a nice drive together. After a nice long drive Dixon ran it i for six which is pretty surprising because Dixon doesn't run much. After a short Hawaii drive we get the ball back and first play, Dixon runs the read option for 11 yards. However, the luck runs out as Hawaii intercepts the ball after Jalaal fails to make the catch. No damage done though as Hawaii's next drive stalls. Jalaal then returns the punt for 72 yards and adds his first return td to the board. UNLV goes up by 7 to take the lead 14-7.

Nearing the end of the half we have the ball again and drive. With a no huddle attack Dixon hits Jalaal for a 14 yard td and the half ends with UNLV in the lead, 21-7. Hawaii gets the ball to start the third quarter. Jalaal has had a great first half and is on track for player of the game... Time of possession is 13:06 to 2:54! Now this is running the clock! We only gave up 88 yards in the first half!!!

The third quarter was a lot of nothing and then... for the first time in NCAA history the cpu blocked a punt on me. Four plays later it's 21-10 as Hawaii nails a 26 yard fg. The third quarter comes to a close with the score holding. Hawaii looks frustrated as my ball control is killing the clock.

Frank Coker runs it in from the six and another 4:19 is run off the clock. The score... UNLV 28 Hawaii 10. On the next drive, cb Miller intercept the Hawaii qb and here we come again. Another long drive results in a fg. With that it's 31-10 and here come the mass subs.

With a kneel down the game ends 31-10 UNLV. This game-plan was boring, slow and highly effective considering the weather. UNLV controlled the ball for 26:39 as compared to Hawaii with 5:21. Offensively we only had 294 yards but Hawaii only had 114.

Around the NCAA I see that Oregon lost again to go to 1-5. Also, Alabama lost and now they sit at 3-4. Utah State continues to struggle dropping a close one to Wyoming 38-31. They are now 1-6. Tulsa falls to 2-4 getting pummelled by SMU 44-23. Ohio State throttled Iowa 56-10 and now sit at 5-1 and are ranked #5 in the NCAA.

UNLV has improved to 43rd. Based on our roster the experts are expecting our ranking to be 27 by the 2020 season. That's not good enough IMO. I hope to end the season ranked but it will be tough. By 2020 we need to be real contenders!

Next up for UNLV is a date with rival Nevada. This rivalry game will probably have to wait until Friday but I am looking forward to it. The Sam Boyd faithful will be up for it.

Gonna try and get a game in tonight if I can. Just wanted to say that it's great seeing a number of threads pop up talking about members' dynasty experiences. Props to Smooth for keeping this section of the forum going. Doing game reports/season reports has made the game feel so much more exciting and alive. Honestly, I haven't felt so involved and interested in my players since NCAA 09.

Game 8: (3-4) @ (5-2)

I have some big-time recruits visiting this week. They include 5 star QB Matt Bullock, 4 star DE Simon Clermont and 4 star T Marcus Savoy. Bringing them in for a rivalry game should really help my cause. In other news my "broken" D has become stellar. Going into the game we are now the #1 D only giving up 269.10 yards per game. Run D is #1 while pass D has improved to #10.

The game starts with Nevada receiving. On the 2nd play of the game my CB Bell pics of the ball and we start at the 30. We drive down to the 2 and for the first time all season, Brown fumbles at the goaline. The ball was clearly out ball the refs throw the challenge and the call is reversed. UNLV catches a huge break on this one. Three plays later and Brown punches it in for a td and UNLV goes up 7-0.

After a three and out UNLV gets the ball back and three plays later RB Coker punches it in and UNLV goes up 14-0. The 2nd play of the drive was a 54 yard bomb from Dixon to Jalaal... this guy is money when the safeties pinch up.

Just like that the game gets interesting. My D goes heavy pressure and Nevada RB Burton runs one for 71 yards and just like that it's 14-7 UNLV. We then get the ball back and drive the field. The first quarter ends with UNLV threatening. Dixon has gone 10-11 for 133 yards. Nicely done Mr. Dixon!

To open the 2nd quarter Dixon hooks up with RB Brown for a 15 yard td. UNLV 21 Nevada 7. Nevada moves down the field and then misses a fg attempt from 57. It's then UNLV's turn to drive down the field. We get to the 6 and then Dixon shows off his talents by throwing a terrible pick. Nevada starts from there. The next play RB Burton runs for a td... 91 yard td!!! WTF??? 21-14 UNLV.

After a long, long drive Dixon hooks up with Gray for a 2 yard td. 28-14 UNLV with 31 seconds left in the 2nd quarter. Nevada gets the ball back and with 14 seconds left UNLV LB Mcfadden comes up with a pic. Nothing comes of it though and the half comes to an end... 28-14 UNLV.

Bizaree half really. Dixon was on fire 20/29 254 yards and 2 tds (and 1 pic) while Nevada's qb had 1 completion for 19 yards. Nevada's run game... 194 rush yards. UNLV... 17 first downs... Nevada.... 1!

To begin the second half we get the ball. After a long drive we get into field goal range and then Dixon gets sacked and we have to punt. Coffin corner kick.... Nevada starts at the one. They run the clock and just like that it's the 4th quarter and they are still driving. The drive ends with a 14 yard td pass... 28-21 UNLV.

We get the ball back with 6:11 to go. Apparently my receivers were told to drop the ball and so they did... we punt the ball away and now it's nail-biting time. Nevada continues to pound the rock. However my D hold and Nevada has to kick.

From there we run the clock out and escape with the win... 28-21 UNLV. This game was way closer than it should have been. Nevada carved me up with their run game. Thankfully their pass attack was limited.

Just look at these stats...

Dixon 28/38 302 yards and 2 td's (and 1 int)
    Nevada qb... 6/11 97 yards 1 td 2int

Brown 23 att 103 yards 1 td
    Nevada rb... 15 att 187 yards 2 td

A victory is a victory but this was a scary win to say the least. Next up.... Fresno State

With the win we move up to #41. In addition the win streak at Sam Boyd stretches to 14 straight wins. Looking around the league...

Oregon 23 Arizona 34... Oregon s now 1-6
    Ohio State crushes Rutgers to move to 6-1 (#4 ranked)
    Duke (3-5) destroys #10 Miami 49-13
    USF 41 Tulsa 24 ... Tulsa falls to 2-5
    Colorado State 35 Utah State 30... USU falls to 1-7

Checking in on my ex-DC, Tyrone Dortch, he has lead ULL to a 4-2 record thus far and has an A- rating. ULL may just win the Sun Belt.

Game 9: (3-4) vs (6-2)

Fresno can offer up a real challenge at times. There Defense is solid but the offense is pretty weak overall. With Fresno St, losing several straight UNLV going up early would really be helpful in crushing Fresno St. and breaking their confidence.

Fresno gets the ball to start and runs a hurry up with early success. On 3 and 7 my DT #99 Butler gets his 5th sack of the year. Fresno ges for a 52 yard fg but comes up short. We get the ball and after a nice drive Peter Brown runs it in from the three for the TD. UNLV goes up 7-0.

Fresno gets the ball and begins driving. However I use my challenge to try and stop a 3rd and 24... no luck. Again on third down UNLV LB Miller) comes up with big sack. Fresno St goes for a 49 yard fg but it hits the post. UNLV gets the ball back and move the ball well but pilon... AKA QB Dixon gets a 16 yard loss on a sack and puts us out of fg range. Fresno St gets the ball back and on third down DE Sharpe gets his 5th sack of the year.

The first quarter ends... and boy is this game dull!!! Then on the first play of the second Dixon throws a pic six and the game is 7-7. Our offense then kicks in as Dixon hooks up with Jalaal for a 63 yard TD. 14-7 UNLV.

With Fresno's next possession they hit a fg from 47 to make the score 14-10 UNLV with 4:19 left in the 2nd quarter. We get the ball back and Fresno pics of Dixon... again. Man this Fresno D is fast! Fresno converts with a rushing td and now it's 17-14 fresno St.

UNLV goes three and out and this game is getting pretty scary. Dixon is ice cold and Samuel and Gray have zero receptions. After exchanging possessions, UNLV goes another three and out. With no time left on the clock Fresno St makes a 43 yard fg with no time left on the clock. 20-14 Fresno St.

My D line been awesome as they had six sacks! However, our O is dead. Dixon has the hook as he is only 7-17 with two ints.

To start the third Brown is in at qb and it pays off immediately. After a nice drive he hits Gray for 7 yards and a td. 21-20 UNLV goes back on top. Fresno St gets the ball back and finally UNLV forces another three and out. UNLV puts together a beautiful and long drive and scores a td as the quarter comes to an end (Brown runs it in from the one).

Fresno St. runs the spread very well. They are tremendously fast. UNLV's D gets another stop and forces Fresno St to go for another long 53 yard fg which missed just to the left. UNLV gets the ball back and goes int ball control mode with a long drive that results in Brown rushing it in for a td from the three. 35-20 UNLV with 2:03 remaining.

CB Douglas ices the game with an int with 1:02 remaining. UNLV closes the deal with a 35-20 win. Changing the qb at the half changed everything. Dixon was awful and Carlos Brown delivered the goods (10-12 109 yards and 1 td + 6 carries for 32 yards). On defense, DT Kevin Butler had a great game ( 4 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss and three sacks).

It's an ugly victory but I will take it. With that UNLV moves to 7-2.

Next up is the game of the season... @ #10 San Diego State. SDSU is 7-1. The winner of this game will pretty much win the MWC West division and have a date with Boise State.

Around the NCAA Florida is the only undefeated team (8-0). Clemson, Ohio State and Virginia Tech are all following at 7-1. On the bright side (for Smooth), Tulsa (3-5) won 42-7 over Temple. However, Utah State (1-8) was bombarded by Boise 38-14. In other news, Oregon lost 28-21 to Stanford to fall to 1-7!!!

Huge pet peeve to share... After NINE GAMES this season I have ZERO injuries!!! I know the game is dead support-wise and there is no patch coming but frankly this just kills the realism and strategy. Players do not get injured the further you go in dynasty because progression is off and they progress to quickly in all areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Huge pet peeve to share... After NINE GAMES this season I have ZERO injuries!!! I know the game is dead support-wise and there is no patch coming but frankly this just kills the realism and strategy. Players do not get injured the further you go in dynasty because progression is off and they progress to quickly in all areas.
    Amen man. My entire first season with Utah State, the worst I saw for injuries was the occasional wide receiver or running back knocked out for the rest of the game. That was it. Nothing that left a player out for the season, not that left them out for a couple weeks, just the rest of the game, and only ever one player.