Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaymo76 NCAA 14 to infinity and beyond!

• Facebook
  • Display
    Going into off season recruiting I had only signed four players and was #96 overall. My players who signed were:

C Schmidt (DE 4 star)
    J Davis (MLB 4 star)
    J Morales (DT 3 star)
    S Robinson (HB 3 star)

When signing day came it was ugly... very, very ugly. My "coaches" helped me out. Long story short we had the #67 draft class (2-4 stars, 9-3 stars, 2-2 stars, 3-1 stars)

Most of the players I picked up were not elite by any stretch. Fortunately I got the kicker I wanted (J. Winston). The other players I landed were:

C Ross (HB 3 star)
    J Porter (DE 3 star)
    H Lacey (CB 3 star)
    D Sanders (QB 3 star)
    T Clarke (MLB 3 star)
    K Thorne (DT 3 star)
    J Jude (QB 2 star)
    A Bonds (OLB 2 star)
    L Barry (MLB 1 star)
    A Shaffer (C 1 star)
    C Watson (FS 1 star)

This is not looking good going into next season.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 11-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.

In order to get down to the 70 player roster I had to release 50 ovr MLB, Lee Barry (freshman). He was a 1 star and would never really have a spot on this team.

Due to scheduling conflict I could not fulfill the home and home series with Georgia. As such two new series begin this year. In week one UNLV plays Wake Forest in a neutral site game @ Reliant Stadium for the Texas Kickoff. That is game two of our series.

In week four UNLV travels to USF. This game takes the place of the Georgia game. In week nine Washington State kicks off a new series, travelling to UNLV.

The other big games on our schedule are week 11 versus #13 SDSU and week #12 at rival Nevada.

A number of players were red-shirted this season. They include,

HB Sean Robinson
    HB Cody Ross
    LE James Porter
    RE Cory Schmidt
    DT Jim Morales
    DT Kellen Thorne
    CB Harvey Lacey
    FS Carlton Watson (sophmore)

Heading into the 2018 season the expectations are moderate. Currently we are ranked #26 with an A- contender grade. We are not expected to defend for the MWC Championship. Right now the nod goes to #13 SDSU. Overall we are rated a "B" with "B+" offense, "B-" defense and "B" special teams.

We do have some recognition.

All NCAA 1st team

Returner Mal Jalaal (so)

All NCAA 2nd team

SS Titus Horne (jr)

All MWC

WR Brian Gray (sr) 1st team
    CB Greg Harris (jr) 1st team
    FS Matt Douglas (jr) 1st team
    SS Titus Horne (jr) 1st team
    returner Mal Jalaal (so) 1st team

DT Chris Smith (sr) 2nd team
    CB Lorenzo Bell (sr) 2d team

UNLV's home turf, Sam Boyd Stadium has moved to a B- ranking and is now the 47th toughest venue to play in. Personally I think we should have a better ranking, but I digress. Our average attendance is now 25,308 per game and we currently have a 16 game home win streak. With the win streak, UNLV now sports a 113-115-2 home field record.

Oops, forgot to mention that UNLV is now a 4 star prestige!

As of 2018, UNLV is gaining prominence:

coach prestige A+
    championship contender A-
    stadium atmosphere B-

Progress is also being made with:

conference prestige C+
    coach stability C+
    campus lifestyle C+
    athletic facilities C+

We are still falling short with pro potential, programme tradition and academic prestige (all D rated). Plus our television exposure is still very low (C-).

Key player profiles: 2018

QB Thomas Morris (#3)

Thomas Morris is entering his sophmore season. In his first season he was redshirted. He has played very little in his college career. He completed 1 pass last year (on one attempt) and gained 8 yards. At 6'2' 192 lbs, Morris is a prototypical pocket passer. He is slow (59 speed / 74 acc) and will struggle with a read option type play. However he is very accurate (90) and has a cannon for an arm (91).

The truth of the matter is that Morris is an unknown commodity. He would not be my choice for a starter but frankly there are no other options. Both of his backups (#16 Jon Jude & #4 Dan Sanders) are true freshmen with low accuracy and throw power. UNLV's offensive line is very shaky. morris will need to find his targets quickly or else the sacks will add up quickly.

Morris will need to be a star in order for our offense to move the ball. There are no other options at qb so this is his time to shine. With Brian Gray at #1 receiver and the emergence of #2 wr Robert Samuel last season the first two looks are phenomenal possession receivers. #3 target Stan Joseph (sr) has very capable hands in the slot and Jalaal and Hunt can be game-breakers at #4 and #5.

Only time will tell if Morris is the answer at qb. If he falters the #1 recruiting target will be 4 star qb Abe Lexman.

WR/Returner Mal Jalaal (#76)

No brainer here. Jalaal emerged last year as one of the best players on the team. He won the best returner award with out of the park stats.

30 kick returns; 952 yards; 31.7 avg yards per return
    32 punt returns; 520 punt return yards; 16.3 avg. return yards per punt; 1 td; longest return 91 yards

However, where Jalaal surprised everyone was with his hands in the receiving game. last year he had 29 receptions for 589 yards and 6 receiving td's. He averaged 20.3 yards per reception and was a huge deep threat. Jalaal's speed makes him a long ball threat and being 4th on the wr depth roster gives him great matchups versus the db's.

Another big season from Jalaal will be necessary if UNLV hopes to repeat (four-peat) as MWC champs.

The big challenge this year will be at running back. UNLV has struggled rushing the ball the past two seasons. This year duties will be split between senior rb Jonathan Palmer (#22) and sophomore rb Frank Coker (#6). power rb Gemara Stephens (#23) will also be in the mix on certain downs.

Palmer gets the nod as starter but he has a short leash. I have no problems going to Coker if Palmer cannot move the ball effectively.

Game 1: (0-0) vs (0-0) @ Houston

The Texas kickoff opens the season.

UNLV wins the toss and chooses to kickoff. And the game is underway. Wake has a few nice plays but the drive ends with no damage done. Wake punts and we get the ball inside our 20. Our first drive is spectacular. 8 plays for 84 yards ending with Morris running it in from the 2 yard line. We passed the ball once. The rest was beautiful running by Coker and Palmer. 7-0 UNLV with 4:49 left n the 1st quarter.

Next possession CB Lorenzo Bell intercepts Wake's qb and we have the ball at the Wake 24. After six plays we go for a 27 yard fg. Not a great start to Winston's career... he misses from 27!!! Wake takes over from there. But Wakes has another 3 and out. UNLV responds in kind. The pace has slowed down and the 1st quarter is done.

Wake puts together a beautiful drive which ends in a 23 yard field goal. They had 16 plays but came up short on the goal line and have to go for three. 7-3 UNLV with 3:35 remaining. UNLV gets the ball but does nothing and punts the ball again. The O seems to have stalled big-time. Momentum has shifted since the missed fg.

After holding Wake to a 3 and out we get to the 4 yard line but with 16 seconds left Morris is picked off in the endzone. The half ends with the score UNLV 7 Wake Forest 3. Pretty strange... UNLV has rushed for 93 yards but only passed for 63. Who saw that coming???

The half starts with UNLV moving the ball and the 15 play drive ends with Palmer running it in from 3 yards out. 14-3 UNLV with 2:54 left in the 3rd. Wake's next possession results in nothing. The third ends with UNLV on the move. 14-3 UNLV to start the 4th.

Then Morris throws another bad int. That's two for the game. UNLV could have iced the game but instead Wake takes over at the UNLV 49. Fortunately CB Greg Harris had no interest in letting Wake back into the game and he took a pic six 56 yards to the house. 21-3 UNLV.

On Wake's next offensive play, Harris has another int!!! However, UNLV's anemic offense stumbles and has to go for three. Winston converts from 21 yards out and UNLV increases the lead to 24-3.

Wake puts a nice drive together which ends in a td. 24-10 UNLV. Wakes goes for the onside kick but is not successful. With 2:41 left I mass sub and chew the clock. Wake runs through their timeouts and with 1:16 left Winston connects on a 34 yard fg to increase the lead to 27-10 UNLV. I also got to see Jon Jude for the first time... wow! The guy is awful!!! (maybe it's a good thing that injuries don't work in this game???... nah...).

Wake goes three and out. Coker gets the ball twice to break the 100 yard mark and then Jude kneels it and UNLV walks away with a fairly weak victory. The fans from Houston were NOT treated to an espn classic! There is a lot of room for improvement. The D was strong but the O was pretty weak overall, with the exception of the run game which notched 201 yards.

Morris will need to play better than how he played. 16 / 23 for 137 yards and 2 ints and a rushing fumble is a pretty poor 1st game effort.

With the victory UNLV slides into #25 in the coaches poll. Greg harris (CB) from UNLV was named NCAA & MWC defensive player of the week as he recored 5 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, 2 ints and a pic six.

Around the NCAA there weren't too many games. The only real upset was Troy over Boise St 31-24. Smooth you will be happy to know that USU surprised Utah 38-31 (but Utah is very bad this season...).

Next up is home game versus UNM. Around the league there are some big games.

#2 USC @ #6 Texas
    Auburn @ #3 Florida (game of the week)
    #17 Arizona State @ #13 SDSU
    #15 Texas A&M @ Oregon (can Oregon recover from last year's fiasco???)

Okay, who knows when I will get a chance to play again? Busy with a number of things on the go right now. Plus, I need to recharge the NCAA batteries and take a rest for a little bit. I am NCAA'd out right now but I may try and finish another season off before Christmas.

After a long break (pre-ps4) I am firing up another game tonight.

Week 2, 2018

UNM (0-0) vs UNLV #25 (1-0)

On paper the Lobos are no match for UNLV. My gosh my first thoughts... for as much as I criticize them, how I miss the Madden next gen 3d crows and sidelines... This game on next gen could have been something special... but I digress. Let's get it on!

UNM wins the toss and we get the ball to start. Three and out is not how I thought things would start. I'm rusty, very rusty. After a punt and short drive by the Lobos we get it back with a nice 18 yard return by Jalaal. The long drive ends with a one yard td pass from Morris to Gray and just like that it's 7-0 UNLV. The drive was a shinning moment for senior rb Gemara Stephens who had 4 rushes for 32 yards. This is Stephens first season on the field and today he is making his mark!

UNM takes the ball at the twenty. UNM has a potent pass offense but cannot run the ball. They go for it on 4th and 2 with a fake punt but don't convert and we take over at the UNM 49. Man we are running the ball well today. Just out of fg range we go for it on 4th and 3 but a drop in the endzone ends the drive. UNM takes over at their 27. Ah I love how the cpu runs the screen. Three plays later and it's first and goal Three plays after that and qb Carl Kemp runs it in from the 2 yard line and it's 7-7 with 6:20 left in the 2nd quarter.

After a nice 34 yard return by Jalaal we take over with good field position. On 3rd and 9 Jalaal comes up with a 44 yard reception. First and goal UNLV. FB Prince Harris powers it in from the 4 and UNLV goes back on top 14-7 with 3:54 remaining in the 2nd quarter.

UNM starts at their twenty as per usual (Irby is becoming a beast at place kicking!). Again this air raid offense is carving up my secondary. Within a couple plays UNM is at my 38. My Le Bain comes up with a huge sack on 3rd and 9 to push UNM out of fg range yet the dumb cpu coach goes for it on 4th and 22 with another fake punt. We take over at the 50.

The 2 minute offense kicks in and we run the clock and the field. RB Jonathan Palmer punches it in from the 1. UNLV goes up 21-7 with 23 seconds left in the half. UNM runs one play and calls it a half, down by 14.

That wasn't a great first half but UNLV improved vastly in the 2nd quarter. We had 110 rush yards and 94 pass yards compared to UNM's 138 pass yards and -25 rush yards (due to several sacks and stuffed qb scrambles)

Game on! UNM starts at the 20 and goes three and out. Finally the D steps up. We switched to a quarter D to limit the passing gains and it worked! After getting the ball back we go on a 9 play drive ending with Morris hitting wr Samuel in the endzone for a 9 yard td and it's now 28-7 UNLV.

UNM takes over at the 20. Their offense is beginning to sputter with another 3 and out. We get the ball back and after a short drive have to punt as we only make it to the UNM 45. After the touchback UNM takes it from the 20. With not much happening, the quarter ends 28-7 UNLV.

UNM has to punt the ball to begin the 4th and Jalaal has another big return of 32 yards. UNLV takes over on the UNM 39. After a nice drive and chewing the clock we end the drive with a 29 yard fg MISS The score remains 28-7 UNLV.

UNM has the ball but LE Jeff Bain is having a career day. We gobbles up Kemp for another sack which gives him four sacks on the day along with five tackles! On the next play junior SS Titus Horne makes a nice Int. to put this game away. UNLV then sends in mass subs with 2:26 left. It's time for the backups to get some experience. The drive doesn't last long but it doesn't need to. UNM gets the ball back with 22 seconds left.

UNM makes a few play but they ultimately run out of time and fall to UNLV 28-7. Yes it's a victory but it sure wasn't pretty. However, some players played very well. This includes:

qb Morris 16-20 159 yards 2 td's (+ 4 rushes for 13 yards)
    rb Gemara Stephens 12 carries 59 yards
    returner Jalaal 132 combined return yards
    punter Irby 2 punts 45.9 yard average

Overall a better effort we be needs for the next game.

With the win UNLV moves to 2-0 on the season. Looking at the weekly wrap-up I see Purdue got pounded 27-14 by FCS West. Yikes! Purdue has become awful in my dynasty. The shocker of the week had to be Cincy knocking off #1 Ohio St. 30-24 at OSU. With that Florida moves into #1 spot. UNLV climbs one spot to #24. Other than that there was no real major movement in the top 25.

Some other games of note:
    Tennessee 49 LSU 17
    FCS Southeast 16 Oklahoma St 14
    Virginia 35 Stanford 21
    FIU 21 Kansas St 18
    FCS Northwest 30 Indiana 14
    Wyoming 27 Mizzou 24
    BYU 48 Wisconsin 28

Sam Boyd Stadium now sits at #43 toughest venue to play in, even though we are on a 17 game home win streak.

With the bye week preparation begins for an out-of-conference date with USF. The Bulls play host to us on Saturday afternoon and are currently sporting a 2-0 record as well. On paper we are evenly matched. This may be a good game???

Game 4 on the road in sunny Florida...

#21 (2-0) @ 2-0)

Both teams are evenly matched. UNLV has a slightly better offense while USF has a slight edge on defense. This has the makings of a great game but games aren't played on paper so let's get things going.

USF runs a 3-4 D so i am hoping for another productive day in the run game. However, I really want to get my receivers into this game early as their stats are way, way down from last year. USF's tight end Higdon is a real beast so it may be tough to contain him.

UNLV loses the coin toss & USF selects to take the ball. After a booming kickoff by Irby USF takes over at the 20. The drive is a short three and out as USF went all pass for little success. UNLV takes over on the 14. Two things are apparent early on: USF loves to blitz and USF is not easy to run against. A long drive ends with a terrible sack and then a punt. The score remains 0-0 with 3:01 left in the 1st quarter.

Finally on USF's 9th play they run the ball! USF blows up a nice drive as UNLV's OLB Ron Gant comes up wit a pic at our 39. As the quarter ends UNLV is now in striking distance. However, on the door step on the endzone the USF coverage is perfect and they have another pressure sack. Freshman kicker J. Winston makes a 33 yard fg and with that UNLV goes on top 3-0 with 7:25 left in the 2nd quarter.

USF takes over at their 20. On the first play TE Dan Higdon breaks the USF receiving record. Up to that point he had been quiet. After another short drive USF is forced to punt and with the touchback UNLV takes over at the 20. Several plays later and after a 55 yard bomb to Samuel we again stall in the redzone and are forced to kick a 30 yard fg. That makes the score 6-0 UNLV with 3:20 left in the 2nd quarter.

USF's next series they try to run the ball... a bit of success and then another punt. UNLV takes over at our own 6. After a few play QB Morris decides to keep the game close and throws a terrible pic into triple coverage. USF takes over at their 44. The UNLV stingy D makes up for poor QB play and on 4th and 23 USF punts.

UNLV takes the ball at the 13 but a nice run by Jalaal moves it up to the 40. UNLV isn't willing to play it easy and puts the ball in the air with a nice drive. With a second left UNLV hits a fg from 38 to go up 9-0 at the half.

K Winston is on today after a poor game last week. Morris has thrown for 178 yards but the run O is awful with only 18 yards (as compared to 19 for USF). I'm looking for a better effort in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

UNLV takes the ball to start the 3rd. After a touchback the drive goes nowhere fast and USF gets the ball on their 12. They move down the field fast under their RB Parker. The drive abruptly stalls and ends with a 40 yard fg. That males it 9-3 UNLV with 3:49 left in the 3rd.

UNLV gets the ball at the 20 and gives USF some its own medicine... a run game. As the 3rd ends UNLV is down to the 26. Within the next two minutes Morris hooks up with TE Novak for a six yard td strike to make it 15-3 UNLV. We decide to go for two but don't convert and the score remains 15-3 with 7: 23 remaining in the game.

USF's first play and CB Greg harris makes a beautiful pic. UNLV gets the ball at the USF 26. At this point USF looks tired and we move to ball control and hammer them with the drive ending in a 1 yard td run from RB Gemera Smith. UNLV solidifies the lead at 22-3 with 5:06 remaining.

USF strings some plays together but they fail to convert on 4th down and that's the key for me to bring in mass subs. I also decided to try Dan Sanders at backup qb to see what he has going for him. The answer is not much... Anyways, UNLV runs the clock and ends the game win a 22-3 victory over USF.

UNLV deserved to win this game. There is no doubt about that. However, the score was misleading. Without those two ints by USF this game looks more like a 12-3 type victory. The key for UNLV was that we shut down USF's passing game (78 yards and 2 pics) while our own passing game looked decent. Morris was 19/32 for 249 yards with 1 td and 1 pic. Our run game was awful as we only had 41 yards total while parker put up 80 yards for USF.

USF''s TE Higdon didn't do much on the day as he was held to 5 catches for 33 yards. Looking over the stats all of our key players are all seniors with a sprinkling of sophomores. Where will the depth be next year and who will be the playmakers???

UNLV gets another bye week early in the season. We are 100% healthy (since this game seems to have no injuries... ) and we are flying up the top 25. Currently we are nor ranked #15. Plus, another five recruits have scheduled visits. Kids are starting to see UNLV as a viable option.

Looking at the past week we had some interesting results:

Utah St defeats #10 SDSU, 31-28... huge thanks to Smooth!
    #7 USC loses to Washington 38-23
    #15 Michigan St. gets crushed by Minnesota 42-21

That puts Texas at #1 and Virginia Tech at #2. Colorado State gets the privilege of being ranked #126.

Heading int week six, UNLV finds itself ranked #12 in the top 25. We have a big conference game versus a very surprising USU team who currently is 3-0 and just recently knocked off SDSU.

Go Utah State!

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Go Utah State!
    I figured 3-0 would get your attention. Yeah based on the stats they look pretty good. They are currently at the top of the Mountain Division. This should be a good game in theory but historically I have laid the boots to USU. After a rough game versus UNM my D has really stepped up. They are insane good right now. The only time we struggle is versus the spread hurry up offense. I don't recall what USU is running but in will find out tonight.

PS, when are you starting up again Smooth? It's been awhile. I have to admit coming back to last gen graphics and feel has been more challenging than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I figured 3-0 would get your attention. Yeah based on the stats they look pretty good. They are currently at the top of the Mountain Division. This should be a good game in theory but historically I have laid the boots to USU. After a rough game versus UNM my D has really stepped up. They are insane good right now. The only time we struggle is versus the spread hurry up offense. I don't recall what USU is running but in will find out tonight.

PS, when are you starting up again Smooth? It's been awhile. I have to admit coming back to last gen graphics and feel has been more challenging than I thought.
    Of course I'm gonna be rooting the Aggies on.

It's coming. I got Nevada played during the morning/afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday, but never got the chance to play again later that week due to work. Last weekend I was going to play but woke up Sunday morning feeling like crap and actually was sick for most of this past week. Feeling better now so I should be able to start getting some games in. How much of the Olympics I watch is going to dictate how much NCAA I can get played this week. I am hoping to at least have my current season finished by the end of the month. Of course, then will come the question of whether or not I stick with Utah State for another contract, or will I be moving on to another home.

Game 4: #12 (3-0) @ (3-0)

It's game time! My D is phenomenal. We have only averaged 6.7 points against this season. Will that streak continue???

We win the coin toss and elect to kick. Aggies are up first. It's a short drive and ends in a punt at midfield. Not much of a return for Jalaal and we start at the 32. Not a good start for my qb as he misses on both pass attempts and USU takes over on their 12. Three and out and we get the ball back. Yikes!

Palmer is running the ball well today. As a result we put together a nice drive and get to the 1. FB Harris punches in in on the 10th play. 7-0 UNLV with 1:27 left in the 1st quarter.

USU is another no huddle team. It's tough playing all of these offenses that are so fast. However, nothing comes of the drive. On the last play of the quarter Mal Jalaal has a 46 yard punt return and we take over at the 42 of USU. The drive gets to the 10 but my QB Morris is ice cold and we come away with a fg and a 10-0 lead with 5:27 left in the 2nd.

USU's next possession is another punt. Jalaal has no magic this time and UNLV starts at it's own 36. The refs decide to let USU back into the game as Morris throws an int (which clearly hit the ground!!!!! and the challenge was lost!!!!!!). USU starts at the UNLV 39. However, on 4th and inches at the UNLV 22 USU cannot convert... no damage done.

With the ball back UNLV chews the clock and punts the ball with 5 seconds left. The half ends with the score 10-0 UNLV. USU is right in this game. Their secondary moves quick and they have a nice run game today. QB play for both teams is pretty weak right now.

UNLV starts the half at the 26 yard line. The drive goes nowhere as USU is swarming right now. My QB is getting buried! USU takes over at their 30 and that is also where they punt from. UNLV goes back to work at their 40. Bad news... Palmer is down!!! It's okay tough as it's only for one quarter. Just when things are running smooth, Morris throws another pic. USU takes over at their 23. My D is just ferocious... they want this game! USU punts again.

Coach Jaymo decides to bring in backup freshman QB Jon Jude (#16). The move is risky but Morris is ice right now. Jude pays off with a huge third down conversion. The 3rd ends with the score 10-0 UNLV. We get to the 13 before Jude gets sacked on 3rd down. Winston converts from 30 and the score is now 13-0 UNLV with 5:56 left.

Gamebreak #1 Texas defeated #3 Oklahoma 28-21

With their next possession USU punishes UNLV with the run game and march down the field for a td making it 13-7 UNLV with 4:27 left. UNLV goes 3 and out and now things get interesting. USU gets the ball with 3:46 left. They start at their 37. They drive the ball to the UNLV 16 with 1:22 left and then the D saves the day with two straight sacks.

Final UNLV 13 USU 7

Wow! UNLV escapes... barely. This was a brutal game. DT Chris Smith saved the day with two sacks. The UNLV offense just disappeared in the 2nd half. Another couple of minutes and UNLV loses this game.

Regardless, UNLV sneaks out with a win and moves to 4-0 on the season.

Up next is a date @ These games are always a real challenge.