Thread: FSU's Cover 2 Base Defense series

• Facebook
  • Display
    Freshman

FSU's Cover 2 Base Defense series

This is a defensive series I started. Disclaimer: I don't claim to be the best at defense these are just my preferences and adjustments I make on defense. This style of play is sim. No nano blitzes or anything like that. There are plenty videos out there for that. I do manage to find a good bit of success playing defense on NCAA 14. Maybe this will help someone out is what my thoughts are.

This series is the cover 2 series. I base everything in this series out of cover 2. I show how to disguise which DB's are playing 2 deep in this series. I also go over the plays I call and what I'm trying to take away with the play call. Enjoy!

This first video I give an introduction to the base defense and my thoughts about it.

The second video here goes over my adjustments to my play calling. I still maintain a cover 2 look but changing which DB's are playing 2 deep.

This third video is me using the defense against a user in an online rank match

Last edited by FSU; 09-08-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Underrated thread. I liked your explination of base defense and adustments. I'm trying to work on mine as well. Can you have a base pass defense and a base run defense.

Example I like to run cover 1/3 in running situation but in passing I won't to run more cover 2? I think this how the bears do it.

Also how do you know when to adjust the coverage. As soon as that beat your coverage once or if its constant. And when do you decide to show another coverage completly? How long do you stay in when changed?

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by FanoftheGame101 View Post
    Underrated thread. I liked your explination of base defense and adustments. I'm trying to work on mine as well. Can you have a base pass defense and a base run defense.

Example I like to run cover 1/3 in running situation but in passing I won't to run more cover 2? I think this how the bears do it.

Also how do you know when to adjust the coverage. As soon as that beat your coverage once or if its constant. And when do you decide to show another coverage completly? How long do you stay in when changed?
    Thanks for checking out the thread. To answer your first question. I use cover 2 vs run and pass when I base out of cover 2. Once I see that the user is gonna run the ball I call the plays within the cover 2 shell that is better for stopping the run. Keep in mind really good defensive line is key for the scheme to work..

To answer the second question I make adjustments when the user attacks the def properly. What I mean by properly is they are attacking the weakness of the cover 2. There are plays that moves the weakness of cover 2 from one place to a different place. One example is switching who plays 2 deep. Those type of adjustments disguises the def.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by FanoftheGame101 View Post

Thanks for checking out the thread. To answer your first question. I use cover 2 vs run and pass when I base out of cover 2. Once I see that the user is gonna run the ball I call the plays within the cover 2 shell that is better for stopping the run. Keep in mind really good defensive line is key for the scheme to work..

To answer the second question I make adjustments when the user attacks the def properly. What I mean by properly is they are attacking the weakness of the cover 2. There are plays that moves the weakness of cover 2 from one place to a different place. One example is switching who plays 2 deep. Those type of adjustments disguises the def.

Quote Originally Posted by FSU View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FSU View Post

Thanks for replying to this thread. I know its been a long time but hopefully you get this.

What I don't understand is what happens if they attack you vulnerability in the coverage and your adjustments at the same time? EX: cover 2 defense with a post route and an angle route from the rb and the rest verts. There just seems to be times when a certain coverage doesn't have the answers for certain route combinations.

Would you call a cover 3 out of a cover 2 shell or are all your calls strictly variations cover2. Example, Cover 2 blitz, 2 man, tampa 2, hard cover two, ect.

Or will you call other coverage's but just from a cover two look. Sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same question again I just want to make sure I understand properly.

Also where can I find information on different variations of each coverage so U know how to take away what my opponent is doing within my base defensive structure?