Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    WOO! Just won advance screening passes to see The Hangover Part II tonight

The Hangover: Part II was f'n FUNNY. Wasn't as good as the first one, but how are you really going to top that. I thought this was well done. Only complaint was they gave too much away in the trailers I think. I think it's definitely worth a view in the theater.

Faster

Not a bad flick with The Rock and Billy Bob Thornton (oh and that chick that played an agent that Vince was nailing in Entourage) Decent action, acting wasn't terrible, plot was acceptable. Decent twist at the end

3 outta 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The Hangover: Part II was f'n FUNNY. Wasn't as good as the first one, but how are you really going to top that. I thought this was well done. Only complaint was they gave too much away in the trailers I think. I think it's definitely worth a view in the theater.
    Since it's not out yet, I'll hide my thoughts:

Spoiler: show
    What bothers me is how unoriginal the vast majority of the movie was. They recycled almost everything from the first movie - somewhat understandable - but I'm not sure any aspect was better in the sequel and some of the writing was weak. The development of Teddy was terrible, Alan's first few scenes seemed forced, and Stu was an annoying twit the more the movie progressed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Since it's not out yet, I'll hide my thoughts:

What bothers me is how unoriginal the vast majority of the movie was. They recycled almost everything from the first movie - somewhat understandable - but I'm not sure any aspect was better in the sequel and some of the writing was weak. The development of Teddy was terrible, Alan's first few scenes seemed forced, and Stu was an annoying twit the more the movie progressed.
    I dunno I think that's a little over critical....how many sequel have aspects better than the original? Terminator 2, and maybe Back to the Future 3....but it's rare. People make the mistake of thinking they have to have their mind blown like the first movie to enjoy this one, and I don't think that is true at all. Overall, on it's own, it's a very hliarious and enjoyable movie. I'm guessing those going to see this movie are going to care about the development of Teddy as opposed to everything else as a whole.

I dunno I think that's a little over critical....how many sequel have aspects better than the original? Terminator 2, and maybe Back to the Future 3....but it's rare. People make the mistake of thinking they have to have their mind blown like the first movie to enjoy this one, and I don't think that is true at all. Overall, on it's own, it's a very hliarious and enjoyable movie. I'm guessing those going to see this movie are going to care about the development of Teddy as opposed to everything else as a whole.
    Completely disagree. There are a ton of sequels out there, maybe not as great as the 1st but different story lines and very good movies

Toy Story 2 and 3
    Mad Max 2
    MIB 2
    X-men 2 and 3
    Superman II
    Rocky II(kind of the same story but different aspect)
    just to name a few.

I think that thing about this movie is it was pretty much exactly the same, haven't seen it yet, but from the trailers... they lose someone, Stu gets a tattoo instead of losing a tooth, there's a monkey instead of a lion... yada yada. Not saying it's not going to have funny parts but they could definitely have been more creative.

Forgot about the Dark Knight, maybe the best sequel of all times. And Star Wars... Lord of the Rings I consider one movie broken into 3 parts.
    Last edited by psuexv; 05-24-2011 at 01:35 PM.

I do realize that most of those are comic bookish movies... so let's go comedies

The National Lampoon movies
    Austin Powers
    Shrek 2
    hmmmmm.....
    American Pie 2
    Caddyshack 2

More Hangover II talk:

Unfortunately, it's not "on it's own." It's a carbon copy of the first. I don't need my "mind blown." I just don't want to see the same movie twice when I could just pop in a DVD to see the first and it's more well-done in every regard.

Why would anyone care that Teddy is missing and why would we care about the "fun" he had with the guys? Poor character development. Why not have Doug join the guys in their exploits this time?

Lots of sequels copy plot points from the first and are still enjoyable and unique in their own right. BTTF 2 and 3 were virtually carbon copies of the first - just different settings ala Hangover II - but they had great writing to overcome it.

My problem isn't solely that Hangover II is a copy of the first (as I said above, other good movies do the same), it's that it was a copy that seemed to lack much effort to differentiate itself from the first.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Forgot about the Dark Knight, maybe the best sequel of all times.
    I will voice my displeasure for the Dark Knight once more - I thought it was weak. Grade school writing at times and the level of realism sunk to new lows in the second half, even for a super hero movie. I was big time disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I will voice my displeasure for the Dark Knight once more - I thought it was weak. Grade school writing at times and the level of realism sunk to new lows in the second half, even for a super hero movie. I was big time disappointed.
    Really? I've actually never met anyone that didn't like it. I do find it funny you are talking about realism in a superhero movie, even when compared to the original Batman's(talk about unrealistic). Just out of curiosity, what didn't you find real. And where you a fan of Batman Begins?

I did like Batman Begins. The first cheezy thing in Dark Knight was the guy pulling out his gun in the court room. I did think Heath Ledger as the joker was really good and the first half of the movie was pretty good. But the second half just bordered on ridiculous for me. How the heck does the Joker escape from prison? A bomb goes off and all the cops hide under a table while the Joker, the world's worst terrorist, just walks out? Then he threatens the DA and to blow up a hospital and what happens? He just walks into the hospital and sits down next to the DA! Ridiculous! And then he just walks out and blows it up! These cops are the dumbest, most idiotic set of cops outside of cartoons! The whole twist on the boat between the prisoners and people just reeked of a moral subplot thrown in and I thought was pretty cheezy. The device Batman uses at the end - turning all cell phones to an on the spot radar system was ridiculous as well.

I know I'm in the minority but I'll never bother watching the Dark Knight again.

I'm seein The Hangover II tonight at midnight. Pretty excited!

saw Horrible Bosses last night. I had quite low expectations but it was better than I anticipated... though certainly not anything great.

That said, there is one particular scene where Aniston is AB SO LUTE LY smoking hot. Well worth the price of admission... or at the very least a $1.50 redbox rental when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    saw Horrible Bosses last night. I had quite low expectations but it was better than I anticipated... though certainly not anything great.

That said, there is one particular scene where Aniston is AB SO LUTE LY smoking hot. Well worth the price of admission... or at the very least a $1.50 redbox rental when it comes out.
    Man I gotta watch now! She is very easy on the eyes!

Just saw this trailer and at 1st thought it was going to be He-man with outfit..... damn that would be sweet.

That looks really interesting.....

Is anyone interested in Cowboys & Aliens, for some reason I think it looks good.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Same here JB. I'll be seeing it in theaters for sure. Looks like some seriously fun Action B movie time to be had.

That looks really interesting.....

Is anyone interested in Cowboys & Aliens, for some reason I think it looks good.
    It's one of those that looks like it's going to be bad but will probably be good.

I don't know what I think about this one.... it seems to sappy with some MMA in it.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Same here JB. I'll be seeing it in theaters for sure. Looks like some seriously fun Action B movie time to be had.
    Plus Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, I think it's gonna be really good.