Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I'd like to know why they decided to make all of the kids in the movie 12ish. The first one took place in high school (15 or 16ish). Having a "love" interest at 12 is retarded.

Dinner for Schmucks was better than expected. I had really low expectations but came out of it with a lot of laughs, though I think it's the type of movie that's most enjoyable with a crowded theater. Not an all-time classic but certainly one of the funnier movies in the past year (ie since Hangover).

The Other Guys... Ferrell & Wahlberg worked well together. Definitely Ferrell's best movie in a while. Better than Dinner For Schmucks but both were extremely silly but entertaining nonetheless.

Finally watched Hot Tub Time Machine this week. One of the funnier movies I've seen in a while, but not a classic or one I'd watch very often.

I've already seen in theaters, but will probably watch Kick-Ass this week. I wonder if it holds up seeing it again.

Just saw The Social Network last night. Probably my favorite movie of the year so far. It was really well done how they intertwined everything in the whole story of the creation and controversy.

My wife wants to see that but as someone that's not even on Facebook I really don't care about seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My wife wants to see that but as someone that's not even on Facebook I really don't care about seeing it.
    I've heard from several people that it is by no means a movie "for Facebook members". It's just a great movie that centers around Facebook. It's more of a social commentary, for lack of a more immediate description, than anything else.

I know I'm going to see it one of these days (though probably not until it's on DVD) since Aaron Sorkin wrote it. Amazing, amazing writer -- I'll watch practically anything he does.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Going to Jackass 3D tonight....first time I've been to a 3D movie

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Going to Jackass 3D tonight....first time I've been to a 3D movie
    Wow really? Man, you missed probably the best 3D movie ever in Avatar. Everything else is just upscaling and post-processing shit. Not actually 3D.

The only other movie that I've seen that did 3D truly well was How To Train Your Dragon and how it's flying sequences made you feel like you were actually flying as well.

That said, the movie is supposedly hilarious but, at the same time, the 3D is so superfluous it's distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Wow really? Man, you missed probably the best 3D movie ever in Avatar. Everything else is just upscaling and post-processing shit. Not actually 3D.
    Actually, Jackass was actually filmed in 3D. So ... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Actually, Jackass was actually filmed in 3D. So ... yeah.
    No shit? Really? Those guys must really have more money than they know what to do with then...

I didn't think Avatar was that impressive in 3D. They had a couple scenes of true 3D from what I remember - the most impressive was when they took the army guys out of stasis when they arrived on the planet. They pulled the one guy's pod out and it looked really cool. Everything else is the new 3D which isn't really 3D. It's 2.5D where you can just see some depth perception and that's what the majority of the movie was. That movie was OK and the story was really cheesy at times with the military people. If it wasn't in 3D it would have struggled to make $100 million. It's just the media buzz over the first 3D movie out there caused everyone to go see it. If Avatar was released next year when 3D wasn't such a catch phrase it wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

No shit? Really? Those guys must really have more money than they know what to do with then...
    It was the director's idea and Paramount green lit it after seeing some 3D test footage.

EDIT: On another note, I'm pretty sure I still haven't been back to the theatre since this thread was started.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 10-24-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Jackass 3D cost $16 million to make, and got $50M the first weekend. I had absolutely no desire to see Avatar, and still don't.

The Fighter was good... certainly a movie worth seeing. [3star]

Tron 3D sucked monkey balls on all accounts. God damn it I hate 3D movies. They're so headache inducing...

Tron 3D sucked monkey balls on all accounts. God damn it I hate 3D movies. They're so headache inducing...
    Really? I had some interest in seeing it, but that's fading now. On Metacritic, I see that the game (60) has a higher meta than the movie (49).

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Really? I had some interest in seeing it, but that's fading now. On Metacritic, I see that the game (60) has a higher meta than the movie (49).
    Yeah. Even the intense visuals can't make up for the fact that the story is absolute garbage and really the movie is like 30 minutes too long (there are several stand around and just look at stuff sections that should have been cut).

Not only that, but it's a waste of 3D. There are barely ANY 3D moments in the movie (I know this because I regularly have to remove the glasses and give my eyes a rest because of the utter discomfort that I experience during 3D movies normally and I watched half the movie without them on and probably only missed a few instances of 3D and then it was only certain parts of the scene and not the entire thing).

True Grit was a pretty good movie, actually I really enjoyed it. I will say though there are a couple of things that you must know going into the movie.

You have to like westerns, this is a western through and through, so dont expect anything different or I should say dont expect just a western back drop.
    They are talking in the old cowboy dialect or something so you must really listen.

I thought it was one of the best westerns I have ever seen to be honest and I have seen a shit ton of them. Is it better than the duke's version, in a sense I think so, really hard to compare the two. I have never read the book so I cant comment on that aspect.

Looks like The Social Network is out on Blu Ray 1/11 ... probably will get it right away cuz I wanna see it again.