Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I posted this in the other thread but Jumanji was hilarious. Great fun film.

Finally saw Star Wars. It was enjoyable but also forgettable. I enjoyed the action but the story itself was pretty shallow IMO. I am interested to see where they will go with the "last" installment.

In other news, my wife and daughter saw Coco and they absolutely LOVED it.

So, yeah, Black Panther.
    Will see again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    So, yeah, Black Panther.
    Will see again.

I saw it and liked it as well. I think some of the hype was a bit much - it's not the best superhero movie ever - but it was good.

I saw Thor: Ragnarok the other night. Not only did I think it was overhyped, I just didn't think it was very good. The ideas and cast were fine, but it just seemed like the whole thing was one big jokefest with no care given to how the characters acted in previous movies. It definitely made me appreciate and like Black Panther more.

Ragnaruk wasn’t that good imo. Very mediocre. Not much of a story and Jeff Goldblum was too weird.

‪Black Panther was very mediocre. Nothing special about it imo. Hard to accept the merger of archaic customs with super technology. Doesn’t really make sense. I expected better after all the top reviews.

6.5/10

Rented 3 Billboards as my wife wanted to watch it. Like many Oscar type movies it can be odd and leave things unanswered but it was interesting. The language used in some families - yikes! But some very interesting scenes, some difficult to watch and a very good movie overall. Frances Mcdormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrison were all excellent. This is a hard movie to grade but at least an 8/10.

Whole family just watched Tomb Raider. Not an Oscar film but a very good origin story. I thought the first half while the story was setting up was really good. I felt the actor playing the bad guy wasn’t so good. There might have been a couple spots where you could question a couple things but this was a fun, action movie that held my interest throughout. The basic premise was very similar to the rebooted video game from 5+ years ago with a mix of Indiana Jones. We all thought Alicia Vikander did a great job as Lara. Very believable and she was very fit. I enjoyed this more than Black Panther.

8/10 (may be a touch high)
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-07-2018 at 06:19 AM.

I must also say that the original movie posters and screenshots were not flattering to Vikander. She is very pretty. I thought she looked great in the movie. She was also so fit she had a six pack in an early boxing scene. I guess she worked out for 7 months and added 12 pounds of muscle. Very believable in her role. The movie had very little humour which isn’t necessarily a bad thing although I like that stuff. I saw her in Fallon the other day and seems like a really nice girl.

Anyone wanna talk about Infinity War in a spoiler thread?

Han Solo was weak. Just another in a long list of disappointments since the original trilogy. They created a legion of fanboys, including myself, that just flock like sheep to the movies. But outside the Force Awakens none of them have been good. Most of the newer SW movies would have flopped like Valerian did if it wasn’t for the loyal fan base.

Solo suffers from more unrealistic and lacklustre story telling. The biggest crime is that Han might have been the best SW character ever. So charismatic and funny and yet this movie had almost no humour. That could have saved this movie but instead just another weak offering.

Upon reflection I realize that there was almost nothing memorable in terms of conversation or dialogue in the movie. The original SW movies had great interactions between characters. Solo was a hollow flick.

I guess by not being a Star Wars fan, Solo looks to be the most appealing Star Wars movie, possibly ever, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I guess by not being a Star Wars fan, Solo looks to be the most appealing Star Wars movie, possibly ever, to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no force or Jedis in the film. It’s about Hans Kessel run they talk about in the original movies. It’s Han origin story and it should have been better. The movie really needed Harrison Fords charm and smart ass demeanour. The fact there was almost no humour at all was shocking.

Jurassic World 2 was solid. I would give it a 7 or 7.5/10. There are only so many plots of stupid humans putting them at risk with dinosaurs. So if you are expecting a super great or realistic plot just forget it. But it’s not bad. A few laughs and a good pair of Howard and Pratt to carry the movie.

Overall plot with a minor spoiler
    Spoiler: show

The dinosaurs of the last movie are still on the island roaming with no human supervision but that island is now an active volcano and the debate is whether to let them die or treat them like an endangered species. Of course there is an effort to save them and crap happens along with a twist or two.

I saw Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom today. I pretty much agree with your thoughts, Rudy.

Spoiler: show
    I did think it was poorly written, especially compared to the first. Some good ideas but the whole thing could have used some better writers or more time in production. I wonder if the sequel will go towards a new island/location (the one mentioned initially as a sanctuary) or if it centers on dinosaurs on the mainland.

Yeah, the first one was definitely better. There are some cheesy or blantantly unrealistic stuff happening but my expectations were pretty low going in so I was pleasantly surprised. Certainly not a classic but good enough lol.

Saw Ant Man and the Wasp. It was a decent movie. I don’t regret seeing it with the kids but it wasn’t as good as the first movie. The story wasn’t as good, the “bad guy” or evil plot nowhere near as good and the humour fell flat far too often. The first movie was a pleasant surprise while this was just OK. I do like all the actors in the movie.

Mission Impossible Fallout was a really good movie. I still consider MI1 to be the best because it was the smartest of the series with the best twists. And while the second movie stunk, the series has made a comeback the last few movies with this one being the best.

The movie is a touch long but it’s action packed from beginning to end. While this movie didn’t have a tremendous story (basic stop the evil threat) it did have good characters and tons of action. It lacked new cool gadgets but was a fun ride from start to finish. Won’t disappoint.

8-8.5/10
    Last edited by Rudy; 08-07-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Went to see Megalodon with the family yesterday. It was decent and about what I expected. It had been getting 7/10 review scores and that's what I would give it. It's not like Jaws. A lot more like Deep Blue Sea but not as good. I haven't seen Deep Blue Sea in quite awhile but that was enjoyable and intense at times. This movie wasn't as scary or intense. I liked Rainn Wilson's character and could have probably used more of him. Overall nothing to really hate on but nothing that makes this movie stand out either. The movie was broken up into 3 parts. Each part has it's own goal and then the movie is over.

Rented Rampage for $2.99 on itunes and we enjoyed it as a family. I thought the first 30 minutes were really good. Funny and interesting start. Then the story sort of meanders and drags on for awhile. The movie was over 2 hours and 20-30 minutes could have probably been cut. But it was a crazy, popcorn flick worth watching. Probably similar to Megaladon in enjoyment. 7/10 (might be a little high)