Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Watched Ghostbusters the other night, and Secret Life of Pets lastnight.

Ghostbusters had it's moments.

SLP we all enjoyed, though it was different from what I expected.

Wife wants to see Bad Moms here soon.

Saw the Secret Life of Pets with the whole family. My three kids loved it! Pretty formulaic design for a comedy but it still worked. I would give it a solid 7.5/10.

Suicide Squad was very well done. Figured it would be a fun movie when the critics trashed it.
    The dude abides.

Saw Suicide Squad and would probably give it a 6/10. Great cast, I liked the plot/idea, but thought the execution, poor editing, and too many deleted scenes were significant detriments. I've never seen a movie cut out so many clips that were highlighted in trailers from the final film. It's definitely better than what most critics are saying, but I understand a lot of the criticisms. The use of popular music and fun factor (humor) make it pretty appealing to those who weren't necessarily fans of Man of Steel or Batman v Superman. For whatever reason, it seems poor editing is a staple of these films; first BvS and now Suicide Squad suffering from it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Saw Suicide Squad and would probably give it a 6/10. Great cast, I liked the plot/idea, but thought the execution, poor editing, and too many deleted scenes were significant detriments. I've never seen a movie cut out so many clips that were highlighted in trailers from the final film. It's definitely better than what most critics are saying, but I understand a lot of the criticisms. The use of popular music and fun factor (humor) make it pretty appealing to those who weren't necessarily fans of Man of Steel or Batman v Superman. For whatever reason, it seems poor editing is a staple of these films; first BvS and now Suicide Squad suffering from it.
    My buddy saw the movie and he liked it. He said the best character by far... Harley Quinn. He also said he didn't like the portrayal of the Joker at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    My buddy saw the movie and he liked it. He said the best character by far... Harley Quinn. He also said he didn't like the portrayal of the Joker at all.
    I liked the movie as well, so don't let my harsh comments fool you, haha. Harley was great in the movie (heck, she'd be great reading a phone book for three hours), but I also liked the Joker. Not a fan of how little they used or even introduced him, though. Several of his clips in the trailer were also cut from the film, which makes the sample size for review even smaller. Some other characters seemed to have sizable (important?) scenes cut as well, which I found frustrating.

IMO BvS improved with their Ultimate Edition (adding 30 minutes back in) and while it's a bad trend for WB, I think this film could benefit from adding some deleted scenes back in for the Blu-Ray version, too.

Saw Office Christmas Party, really enjoyed it. Great turn your mind off comedy
    The dude abides.

My brother didn't think the new Star Wars movie was that great. I usually like to avoid opening weekend crowds. Will probably see it over the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My brother didn't think the new Star Wars movie was that great. I usually like to avoid opening weekend crowds. Will probably see it over the holidays.
    I avoid opening weekend crowds too. I like seeing movies about 3 weeks after opening at the first showing Sunday morning. The crowd is often sparse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I avoid opening weekend crowds too. I like seeing movies about 3 weeks after opening at the first showing Sunday morning. The crowd is often sparse.

When the last Friday the 13th movie came out (2009) I saw it twice in the theatre.

Of course, I went on opening night and there was a decent crowd. I went back the following Monday at like 1 PM and I was the only one in the theatre. Talk about avoiding the crowd.

Rogue One was OK. I liked the first half of the movie. It's yet another Death Star movie but I knew this was about the rebels that stole the plans before the original movie. That didn't bother me. I liked the characters for the most part which were all new. The music wasn't very good imo. They didn't use a lot of classic music as they tweaked it. Plus they were constantly playing overly dramatic music with big drums even when it wasn't a dramatic scene.

My biggest issue was the second half of the movie. Too many over used things like "need to take out the shield" to get to the B part of the plan. Very tired of that part of Star Wars writing. And the obstacles they faced down the stretch were overdone and stupid. I don't think a high school writer would come up with some of them. You have to turn your brain off completely to accept some of this stuff. Star Wars has always been like that to a degree with Stormtroopers the worst shooters in any army in history but this was bad and they dragged it out. The movie should have been under two hours.

First half was a solid 8. Second half a 5 for a 6.5 score. Still glad I saw it but this won't be purchased when released on blu ray.

Let me expand my issues with the stupidity of the final battle/mission:

Spoiler: show

I didn't really like the idea of the final approach needing access past a shield wall that covered an entire planet. An entire planet!! Even in Return of Jedi they only had a shield for their base on the moon of Endor. This was a stretch although the bigger issue is again over using the idea of having to take down a shield or use a stolen ship/uniforms to gain access. But this didn't truly bother me like the following.

The main girl Jinn and her french partner have to sneak in to steal the Death Star plans. They gain access to the plans through their bot who accessed files much like R2-D2 did in the past. We accept this because it's Star Wars but I have to think their security is flimsier than the PS4 lol. But despite finding this file they say the file is TOO BIG to send to their ship because of the shield wall. I mean, they can talk to their ship still but this file is too large to send? Do they not have a zip file option? Are they only running at upload speeds of 1 mbs? Surely a galaxy that allows you to travel at light speed and use lasers to blow up planets wouldn't be using such a slow server? It was absurd! But this was the main reason they needed to take down the Shield surrounding the planet so they could transmit the file. Ridiculous! They should have got it, sent it and movie over. And for some reason after finding out they can't e-mail the file Jinn has to climb up a chamber to achieve a hard copy of it so she can try e-mailing it from another terminal. Not sure why Star Wars always has so much wasted space inside of ships and bases.

But it gets better. It's not enough to take down the shield wall. The wifi needed to be enabled too for some reason! And to do that a former empire pilot has to run a long, thick cable across a tarmac to his ship. He finally does that. But no! It's not enough. There is a master switch/lever that is sitting in the middle of the tarmac for some reason that has to be flipped. A brave sacrifice allows this to happen. But is that it? No! Jinn can e-mail this file to the space ship only when the Shield Wall gets taken down since it's blocking a good upload speed for some reason that doesn't block their voice communication. A Shield wall that covers an entire planet but a deadly Destroyer in space is easily foiled with an ion torpedo and crashes into the wall to destroy it after being hit by a tiny tugboat ship. So can we e-mail the file now? No! The antenna is not aligned! So then Jinn has to run to the antenna to hit a switch to align the antenna so she can send the file to the ship after her friends ran a communications cable across a tarmac and hit a magical lever in the middle of that tarmac. But the bad guy wakes up and delays this action before the inevitable actually takes place.

So much stupidity to just add time and unnecessary fluff and suspense at the end. Who writes this stuff? Did Lucas write this in the 1970s before we knew any better? So many absurd things it really bugged me. It could have been good. It's less interesting writing prequels when we already know the outcome. I know it's a movie and Star Wars but couldn't they have tried to find something at least close to believable?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Rogue One was OK. I liked the first half of the movie. It's yet another Death Star movie but I knew this was about the rebels that stole the plans before the original movie. That didn't bother me. I liked the characters for the most part which were all new. The music wasn't very good imo. They didn't use a lot of classic music as they tweaked it. Plus they were constantly playing overly dramatic music with big drums even when it wasn't a dramatic scene.

My biggest issue was the second half of the movie. Too many over used things like "need to take out the shield" to get to the B part of the plan. Very tired of that part of Star Wars writing. And the obstacles they faced down the stretch were overdone and stupid. I don't think a high school writer would come up with some of them. You have to turn your brain off completely to accept some of this stuff. Star Wars has always been like that to a degree with Stormtroopers the worst shooters in any army in history but this was bad and they dragged it out. The movie should have been under two hours.

First half was a solid 8. Second half a 5 for a 6.5 score. Still glad I saw it but this won't be purchased when released on blu ray.
    I enjoyed Rogue One.... BUT.... My boys and I were soooooo disappointed that there was no Star Wars intro music or the famous scroll.

I saw the latest Bourne movie. Didn't have a very original plot. Just something to create an action Bourne sequel and make money. Wasn't bad. Just an average popcorn movie.

My wife and I saw Hidden Figures. We both loved it. It was great to learn about these 3 amazing woman who pioneered so much at NASA who never got their due in their time.
    https://youtu.be/vGAxf55sFLI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My kids loved Moana. I thought it was pretty subpar actually but it is visually stunning.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    My kids loved Moana. I thought it was pretty subpar actually but it is visually stunning.
    I thought Moana was EXCELLENT. Better than Frozen imo.

Saw Why Him, it was pretty damn funny. I think we're going to see Hidden Figures next week.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Saw Why Him, it was pretty damn funny. I think we're going to see Hidden Figures next week.
    Hidden Figures was so good. I may get it on Blu-Ray.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/34...oduction-shut/

‘Friday the 13th’ Cursed; Production Has Been Shut Down

From what we’re hearing, production on the new Friday the 13th has been indefinitely shut down, suggesting that there is indeed a death curse attached to our old pal Jason.