Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spread option help

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by jello1717 View Post
    One of the TSO mods is writing an article with the various offenses. He's asked for an article from guys that specialize in the various offenses (pro/option/spread option/air raid/pistol/one back) and he's gonna compile them into 1 article (I think, but he's definitely already gotten articles for all of those 6 offenses). The idea was to give a little intro for the various offenses for people that aren't familiar with them in case they wanted to try something new. I imagine it'll be a front page type of article ( http://traditionsportsonline.com/ ) rather than a forum posting ( http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/ ) but I don't know when/where it'll be posted.
    Cool. Thanks, I didn't know if it had been posted yet. I'll just check TSO every few days.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    BigBails, if you want to get comfortable with a Read Option offense, go into a game, even a game of NCAA 13, and just run it practically all game. Change the formations, the looks, whatever, but run it practically all game. And use the PA passes off of it for as many of the passing downs as possible. That's how I switched from a pro-style offense to running exclusively Read Option and Spread-To-Run.
    Unfortunately, my copy of 13 seems to have vanished. I probably let someone borrow it and they still have it (I hope). In the mean time I'm stuck with OSU and Oregon in the demo. I should have a few days of practice before our OD starts since we usually wait for named rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbails35 View Post
    Unfortunately, my copy of 13 seems to have vanished. I probably let someone borrow it and they still have it (I hope). In the mean time I'm stuck with OSU and Oregon in the demo. I should have a few days of practice before our OD starts since we usually wait for named rosters.
    Actually use all 6 teams in the demo. They all have varies option plays. What I would do is play each team, super sim when on def (this gets you more time on offense), then pick plays from the by play type and goto the option section. Just run all the different options you see. You will find the ones you like and the ones you need to work on. Right now I'm struggling with the speed and the inverted veer. The speed I am having to get my angles right with the QB so to force the Def man to pick and the inverted veer I just cant get a feel for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by uagrad90 View Post
    Actually use all 6 teams in the demo. They all have varies option plays. What I would do is play each team, super sim when on def (this gets you more time on offense), then pick plays from the by play type and goto the option section. Just run all the different options you see. You will find the ones you like and the ones you need to work on. Right now I'm struggling with the speed and the inverted veer. The speed I am having to get my angles right with the QB so to force the Def man to pick and the inverted veer I just cant get a feel for it yet.
    Yeah I'll need to try that. I've been having trouble with the shovel option as well as speed since I'm not used to making the pitch. I've also been having trouble with draws which is odd since I never had any problems last year. I've got the inside/outside zone read down as well as triple option to an extent.

I think my issues are coming from the fact I am forcing myself to adjust to the Coordinator cam. You can really see the running lanes open up with it. But it is giving me fits on reading those two option plays I mentioned.

I think my issues are coming from the fact I am forcing myself to adjust to the Coordinator cam. You can really see the running lanes open up with it. But it is giving me fits on reading those two option plays I mentioned.
    Yeah I thought I would like the new cam but not so much. The normal one has always been good enough for me.

Its growing on me lol

The demo is great for practicing the options. Obviously Oregon and aOSU are the best but VT is great as well and as an added bonus it gives you a very different type of QB to use AND it lets you run it against a 3-4. Here's a couple of things I've done with the demo when I want to practice.
    1. Just play offense. Even better than supersimming defense, whenever you're about to lose the ball pause the game (before the play call screen comes up) and go to settings -> select sides and pick the other team. When the play call screen comes up, switch back to your team and then just punt with the other team.
    2. If you're struggling with reads on certain plays, connect another controller and use that for the defense. On defense, set the option defensive gameplanning setting to aggressive (to force the D to take the QB) and then run the play over and over to see what a "give" read looks like. Then switch the D setting to conservative (to force a keep) and run the play over and over to see what a "keep" read looks like. This helped me a lot with the new midline option and inverted veer.
    3. For random options against random defenses, the skills training is nice. You can just keep replaying the drill as many times as you want. What's really nice about it is that you fail anytime you make the wrong read so you're not rewarded for the times that you make the wrong read, but still gain yards. This is a great way to get confirmation that you made the correct read.
    Last edited by jello1717; 07-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Dang good advice jello. I will try the dual controller thing for sure.

Oh yeah I'm digging the skills trainer. Really helps a lot with the triple option

Quote Originally Posted by jello1717 View Post
    The demo is great for practicing the options. Obviously Oregon and aOSU are the best but VT is great as well and as an added bonus it gives you a very different type of QB to use AND it lets you run it against a 3-4. Here's a couple of things I've done with the demo when I want to practice.
    1. Just play offense. Even better than supersimming defense, whenever you're about to lose the ball pause the game (before the play call screen comes up) and go to settings -> select sides and pick the other team. When the play call screen comes up, switch back to your team and then just punt with the other team.
    2. If you're struggling with reads on certain plays, connect another controller and use that for the defense. On defense, set the option defensive gameplanning setting to aggressive (to force the D to take the QB) and then run the play over and over to see what a "give" read looks like. Then switch the D setting to conservative (to force a keep) and run the play over and over to see what a "keep" read looks like. This helped me a lot with the new midline option and inverted veer.
    3. For random options against random defenses, the skills training is nice. You can just keep replaying the drill as many times as you want. What's really nice about it is that you fail anytime you make the wrong read so you're not rewarded for the times that you make the wrong read, but still gain yards. This is a great way to get confirmation that you made the correct read.
    Dang good advice jello. I will try the dual controller thing for sure.
    I used the dual controllers as well to get an idea on what a "give" and "keep" read looked like on a lot of the new options. I liked the skills trainer but I wanted to focus on the midline and inverted veer and wasn't seeing them much in the trainer.

I am thinking about making this playbook in 14. Here is the link http://www.playbookexchange.net/play...readOption.pdf

here are the Formation and Plays
    Flexbone Normal
    Plays:
    Triple Option
    Fullback Trap
    Speed Option
    Fullback Draw
    Go Route
    Switch Route
    Smash Route
    Veer Dump
    Dive Choice

Do I need to add anymore plays? or Look at the flexbone normal from the custom playbook when the game drops?
    Last edited by johntom2000; 07-01-2013 at 10:43 PM.

I had time to play a game as OSU last night and really got a nice offense going, even busted a 60 something yard TD with "Braxton". I didn't do as well at the goal line though, I think because I was trying to run outside when I should have been running it straight ahead inside. Going to try and get some more games in later today.

Quote Originally Posted by sublime View Post
    Thanks! That is a great writeup! Where are you posting on this on TSO, btw? And is it perhaps part of a series where various players familiar with a certain system all do a similar writeup? Because that would be amazing. Thanks again.
    http://forums.traditionsportsonline....eakdown.99846/

Nice stuff, I'll have to keep it in mind if I decide to try something else. I'm getting a lot better with the spread option stuff thanks to this thread and your write up!

That is an amazing resource. Thanks for your contribution to it and for the link!

Has anyone noticed in the demo that when you go no-huddle, the cpu doesn't change the play? I just ran the same play and kept getting 10 yards because the cpu just ran the same blitz every single time. I really hope this is fixed in the retail.

What's the deal with the inverted veer read options? Do you read the the play opposite of regular read plays, or is it just a super fast choice, haven't been able to get one to work yet. However the buck sweep zone read play in VT's book, awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcktfan916 View Post
    What's the deal with the inverted veer read options? Do you read the the play opposite of regular read plays, or is it just a super fast choice, haven't been able to get one to work yet. However the buck sweep zone read play in VT's book, awesome!
    Check out this thread. I posted a link there on how the inverted veer is run. You read the playside EMLOS. On the standard read-option you read the backside EMLOS.

Spread-to-run/Read-option

Every time I use no-huddle in NCAA 14 using a custom offensive playbook, there is a very frustrating glitch. After a play ends and I start the no-huddle, that formation that I just used disappears and reappears somewhere else with a different formation but the same (incorrect) name. Many other formations as you scroll through are with incorrect titles, and many disappear that should be there. This happens quite a lot. Also, I have noticed if in no-huddle and you successfully get through this glitch and call a handoff (usually a jet sweep), the play doesn't work; the quarterback fakes a draw and then scrambles around the backfield until he gets tackled. Another very frustrating issue. Is anyone else having these troubles?